Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

FFT posted:

re: asscreed: O is anyone else having an issue where after launching from Steam, uplay goes "hm, no"?

"Unable to start the game. This product cannot be activated right now, please try again later."

probably related to whatever this bit they posted is referring to.

I had it complain about not being able to reach the ubi servers when I restarted to change settings yesterday. Wouldn't let me into the game until I alt-f4'd and restarted uplay. Or it just lasted a few minutes, not sure which. Was fine after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

They have apparently hosed up releasing Shogun 2 for free so badly that it says it is free when you search for it, and the title bar says it is free on the store page, but it still wants 30 bucks. I also added it to my wishlist as a reminder and it doesn't show up there.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

lol i can't even access my library to play games i already have installed because their whole client is tied to the store

Find the exe and run it that way, just tested it and it works. Client isn't required.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I just claimed it this instant. It gave me an error the first try when trying to complete it, but it worked the second try.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I never played The Whispered World, but I played Silence a while back and enjoyed it.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Welp, I was logged in before hand, refreshed after it started and now I'm logged out, here's hoping it counted.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I'm mostly watching to see how bad the train wreck is. I noticed they had a chat sidebar before the event started and it is conspicuously gone now, I wonder why :thunk:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Of course now I can’t log into the Uplay app to verify...

Don't worry, you wouldn't be able to verify it until tomorrow when they deliver the game anyway! :angel:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Reminding myself now that this is getting closer.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Can steam friends play with Epic people in Remnant?

Supposedly you can if you link your steam and epic accounts.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Skwirl posted:

So I claimed the Shadowrun thing but only Dragonfall has an install button in my library (coincidently the only one I already own) where it says "install" for everything else it just says "unavailable" for Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Probably need to click settings in the bottom left, update and restart. I noticed that happen with a game I think I had installed already a few days ago.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

repiv posted:

I had to go looking for that, apparently the giveaway is only intended for China but anyone can get it by jumping through a few hoops

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1300804604704161792?s=19

This apparently has to be done specifically in a mobile browser. I tried it in an incognito tab and it didn't work. Good news is, as I discovered in one of the replies, you can switch to a mobile version with CTRL+SHIFT+I on Chrome or CTRL+SHIFT+M on Firefox which does work.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

There's a Twitch plugin that reads from the twitch app, and there's an Amazon plugin that reads from the Amazon app. Both plugins need their respective app installed to read the game list from, but you can use whichever you prefer, you don't need both. If you add games from your browser and they don't show up in GOG, start up whichever app you're using and it should update.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I think a lot of the epic hate is due to some idiots on reddit fabricating conspiracy theories out of whole cloth about epic and the client when it was new. People then internalized the hate without checking the claims to see if they were legitimate and now here we are, with a lot of people that hate epic without knowing why. I actually looked into the claims at the time and they were 95% bullshit.

That said it's still super dumb that they still don't have a shopping cart.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

repiv posted:

Reddit in particular really really wants Gabe Newell to have an absolute monopoly over PC gaming, giving Gabe Newell money is pro-consumer and the more money you give him the more pro-consumer it is

It's not just an Epic thing, there's a general hostility towards most games that aren't on Steam in my experience. League, Valorant and COD are huge but only negative coverage gets any play on /r/pcgaming

I knew game nerds generally had a weird hardon for gaben, but the rest is news to me. I don't actually read reddit, but sometimes it spills out.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Or if you're like me and can't read german, https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/9779f12f-50c8-4c07-8d20-47e21293b6c6/1 for the :911: version.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

JammyB posted:

Apparently we might get Sonic Mania and Horizon Chase Turbo later today on Epic too. Looking forward to that if true.

Looks like those are next week.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It's very little effort, you can just make a couple folders with search bookmarks (searching the numbers 1-40 for example) that you open to get the searches done, and reddit has the quiz answers every day. Supposedly ABS can get you banned.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

My impression was banned banned, like can't access your account at all, but I don't know for sure.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It was gone for... 3 weeks maybe? But it's back now if you still have those points. Apparently that happens once in a while.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It does.

Their library is also split between the two clients. :downs:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Party Boat posted:

I'd mostly made peace with my annoyance about launchers upon launchers but :psyduck:

RIght?! Makes no loving sense. Friend of mine wants to play Battlefront 2 sometimes, which is only on Origin far as I can tell. Set up EA Desktop planning to try out EA Play stuff. No Battlefront 2, so I have to sit on both. Twitch gave away Battlefield 1 recently, not on EA Desktop.

Even better, I just tried to start up Origin while I had EA Desktop open... and it throws up an error message saying you can't run them both at the same time. :ughh:

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Play posted:

was that rude little question mark at the end really necessary? ;)

Yes?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Hell yeah, I haven't played Syndicate Wars, but the rest are some of my favorite old games.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I think I got that message not long ago, but it was on starting up the client to claim new free games and I hadn't claimed anything since the previous week. Still worked fine.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I played through it and it was mostly my chill out game. There were times when I was low on supplies but I never thought it was brutal or unfair. Once I got the hang of it I was swimming in food and water. Just prioritize upgrades that either produce food/water (mostly water, iirc) or ones that make consumption more efficient.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

If you spend ~5 minutes a day doing MS Rewards things, you can keep Game Pass going indefinitely for free, since you can make more points in a month than is required to get a free month of game pass. The only two mildly time consuming parts are doing their daily quiz and doing searches using Bing. The answers to the quiz are posted on the related reddit every day. And you can do the searches quickly if you just make a folder with a bunch of searches (for example, searching the numbers 1-50) and right click, open all bookmarks once or twice. I did the $1 for 3 months thing the last time it was available and I just used the points I accrued while that was running to get another 6 months for free like 2 weeks ago.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I'm poor, and I also usually do it while I'm still trying to wake up and not useful for anything else.

edit: a shameful snipe, oh well.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I'll come to your house in the middle of the night and play loud music if you don't.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Baggot posted:

Cave Story's Secret Santa is free on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/game/cave_storys_secret_santa

I never played it, but is this not just a reskin/ripoff of Merry Gear Solid: Secret Santa?

edit: apparently somebody in the reviews noticed the same thing, so I'm guessing yes.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 12, 2021

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Play posted:

This is true but I understand not being thrilled at using a Chinese-owned platform as your main games store. Tencent is a massive company with deep ties to China's authoritarian government. Not wanting to support them as a political statement seems reasonable.

Excepting that fact, I do like their free game giveaways. Free games are good. But for some reason I pretty much never find myself actually opening up the Epic app to see which games I have to play. It just doesn't enter my head. I know I've picked up a bunch of free games but I can't really remember what they are.

Tencent doesn't actually own Epic, they're minority investors.

efb, welp.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Also having problems, and downdetector is showing other people having problems. Will probably calm down if we wait a bit.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I just managed to get through and claim the two I didn't already have, so you may have more luck now.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

RodShaft posted:

Katamari Damacy?

that's_bait.gif

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

In Sound Mind is up on Epic, next week is DEMON'S TILT, apparently.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Amnesia Rebirth and Riverbond are up on Epic.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Weekly reminder that new Epic freebies are up.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Lawn Mowing Simulator is up on Epic.

Next week is Unrailed!

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I interpreted it as another giveaway after the Dex one was over, which might take a few more days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is this the thread to post this?

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition

anyone want this free for PC through gog? I got it via prime. Usually they lock games to your account, but looks like I have a code you can redeem?

There's a Steam Gifting thread, but I don't think anybody's gonna complain if you drop it here.