Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Artelier posted:

TODAY IS THE DAY SOLITAIRICA IS FREE ON EGS AWWWW YESSSSS

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/solitairica/home

I tried it and it seemed dull as poo poo

like the third random battle I got into had a stretch of 20 turns where there was one card stack left with no progress. I drew a random card, then the monster card changed randomly because they were 'dazzled', and there weren't any matches, so I had to keep taking hits with no gameplay decisions at all

eventually the RNG was kind enough to feed me the 'kill this' magic fuel, but I'd prefer to actually have some ability to effect the outcome of a battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elfface posted:

Intentionally repulsive, with the kind of psychopathy and casual cruelty of an adventure game protagonist who steals everything that isn't nailed down and manipulates people to achieve results. The first game felt like it was intended as satire, what with the love interest being named 'Goal' and spending most of the game a babbling moron thanks to a broken brain-implant, that the protagonist projects affection onto. If it had been a stand-alone title, it would end with the protagonist giving up on a life in paradise in favour of doing the right thing in the end, for which he ends up right back where he started, but grown from the experience and ready to be a slightly less horrible person.

Instead, two sequels happened in which said growth is all but abandoned. At the end of the third, the protagonist appears to die, grumpily sacrificing himself for others, but then there's a fourth game with time travel to undo that.

Mystery of the Druids did a good job of the satirical adventure game protagonist that is disliked for his behavior in-world schtick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

~Coxy posted:

I have no idea how norton does their protection, but it could easily be something like

dumbass@yahoo.com uses norton
dumbass@yahoo.com signs in to yahoo/linkedin/target with password letmein
dumbass@yahoo.com later also signs up to epic with password letmein
norton finds some dump which contains email address dumbass@yahoo.com and password letmein
norton tells dumbass that his epic account may be compromised

why did you doxx me??!

MODS?!?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

But you have to give epic your email?

What's the problem, I give all sorts of companies your email.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Catzilla posted:

I honestly don’t know. My guess is you can claim it and play it, but you’ll lose access once your trial ends.

they give you a key which you redeem on origin, so probably it's unlocked forever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In undergrad we got our hands on an old Sun 3Dlabs graphics card that the computer science department put up for salvage. It weighed a couple pounds and was too big to fit into a normal desktop.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Dude, it's like 1/4 of world countries. All the biggest ones are there, true, but there's no China,

Curious what you mean by 'biggest'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The title was "2 Free Games as a thank you for watching Thunderful World ⚡🌍"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC they basically swindled pixel with a super exploitive contract

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

direct link
https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_tactics_blades_of_the_shogun

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

repiv posted:

funny thing is the unreal asset store always had a cart, no idea why it took this long for their other store to get one

They always had carts in the epic store but rear end in a top hat teens kept stealing them

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

But you know what doesn't suck? Free games. You know why they don't suck? Because I'll never loving play them, so I can never be disappointed by them. And as if that wasn't enough, free games means my game number go up!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chairface posted:

You'd think goons would be more into the politics of a nation whose main two parties are PiSS and POO

they are, haven't you seen all the threads about american politics?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it feels a little early access

like the vampire house building, which you start out with, and until you get a few upgrades is AFAICT 100% totally detrimental to place

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Nah, Vampires aren't too hard to fight and make for good XP. Also, if you place a town adjacent to a Vampire Mansion, it turns the villagers into ghouls you have to fight. After 4 laps, the town goes back to normal and gives bonus resources.

And at the start of the game, you haven't actually unlocked villages, swamps, OR xp, so the manor doesn't give any benefits at all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the EGS blurb it seems obvious one of the brothers dies in some kind of contrived cutscene way, probably at the 80% mark, and the end of the game is sick dad being cured and immediately grieving that his life came at the cost of his son's. Because that is how hacky Newberry Award tier writing works.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

criticizing media seems so much easier when you don't bother to experience the work first

Am i wrong?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

this is exactly what i mean, you're judging a work based on the predictability of its 'plot twist' and not, like, everything else. something can be entirely what it appears to be on its surface and still have inherent worth in how it gets there or how it illustrates a point or a metaphor

hey if you like that particular story formula that's great for you

it's like marvel movies, some people like seeing the same formula executed again and again, others can't stand it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a bad example for your point because that proves that there can be a wildly varying degree of quality even within the same formula.

Sure, but someone who doesn't like marvel superhero movies because they're tired of formulaic movies that follow Save The Cat's beat sheet isn't really going to care about whether they're being offered a 'good' or 'bad' marvel movie about a guy in costume fighting a villain with the same powers that follows Save The Cat's beat sheet.

So, what makes Brothers better than other melodramas of the same type? Does the writing have really well-written prose or dialogue with strong character voices? Or does it have a fantastic soundtrack?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It even says "march 8 to 15" so it's more like a 7-day "free weekend" than actually getting a free game.

What a paradox, the one week you can play it is the one week you can't.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Becsuse automated bots scan the whole internet for keys?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

repiv posted:

IIRC you could get stuck in some versions of Monkey Island by doing dumb poo poo like using a vending machine hundreds of times to waste all your money,

I know someone who did that specifically because she thought there'd be funny dialogue for it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Twenty copies of bad rats?!?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Armitag3 posted:

What was the game with the fuzzy little creatures from pop? got addicted to that for a bit too. Fuzzles?

Magical journey of the zoombinis

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

itry posted:

It doesn't feel unfinished, but it does feel like the first book in a series. One that may never get any sequels. Like if Star Wars ended on A New Hope.

a new hope has some pretty blatant sequel bait, including luke training with his lightsaber and then never actually using it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Technically I've already paid for and played SF2 by shoveling quarters into the arcade version, so can I play this one if I get it for free?

Only if you shove quarters into the airvents on your computer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It was the free game of the month, you need to be subscribed to PlayStation Gold the month it's free and you lose access if you ever let the subscription lapse (you regain access if you restart) so it wasn't really free, you would have had to pay 10-15 Bucks that month and another 10-15bucks any other month you wanted to play it.

yeah but that means if you want to play it, it isn't free so you can play it

truly the most moral arrangement

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also google shoves them to highest relevance, even above official dedicated wikis

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I find this a bit suspicious. It's also laughable that, compared to the other robotically generated info-vacuum pages that filter to the tops of searches, Fandom will sometimes contain usable information, so maybe Google's algorithm is making the right choice.

Not gaming related, but I did a search for bird diet information and got multiple conflicting information from several generated sites before finding one composed by a human, wayyy down the page.
Ai generated spam content is 10/10 weirdness

https://www.aiweirdness.com/baltimore-orioles-effect/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

The website says you need to have bought a game between November 14th 2021 and November 14th 2022 to be able to register for the giveaway for specifically this reason.

I bought elden ring and then returned it because it ran so poorly, wonder if that counts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OgNar posted:

Tried Breathedge before but it wasnt the Subnautica-like game I was expecting, also the humor got old kinda quick.

Wasn't that a TCC thread?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My new website will have you change your password every time you log in for maximum security.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NYT posts in this thrrad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Got Dying Light for free? Join TechlandGG to get extra free in-game rewards: weapons, outfits and more!"
https://techlandgg.com/goodies/dl-april

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

It's a pretty fun little puzzle stealth game. A bit like Commandos etc. but much more linear as there's barely any alternative solutions. The time rewind/management mechanics are somewhat obscure at first, but ultimately pretty neat.

wait I was expecting this gameplay

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is free games... worth your freedom?????

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

Betrayer has been re-released for free by GOG. No time limit listed on this one, so it's probably free for good.

They offered me half off a walmart+ subscription at checkout so the waltons must be paying for it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here it is

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

This stuff is so dumb. I remember buying some jeans off Lucky's website once, and then almost all the ads I saw were for Luck jeans.

the cunning marketing strategy would be to feed customers who bought a product ads for the product at inflated prices, so the perceived value is higher, resulting in more satisfaction and lower return rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

If you're playing my life, please use a cheat code or buy the battle pass or something. You're not doing very well.

I'm just tossing in all the mods and special events, it's a bit jank but the new NPCs are hilarious