Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Uh, I just activated the key and got Viscera Cleanup Detail? What the heck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The best Civ!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You can also get Bravelands and The Ship from visiting the site at least 5 times in 7 days.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The next free game on the Epic Store is Jackbox Party Park #1, which is pretty good, if typically on deep discount anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Blacula posted:

You Don't Know Jack 2015 + 4 other party games, playable via the Epic Games Launcher.

Once you install it from the launcher, you can pin the exe into your start menu and launch it directly without starting the Epic client.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Why the hell do people care so much about that. I've read at least a dozen "you can just download the game and launch it independently" comments, and it seems like so much more of a hassle than just launching it from the client.

I'm no Steam lover, but the Epic client is kind of a pain.
Even minimised to tray, it will keep playing the videos on the store within its own embedded Chrome process. Despite having hardware acceleration turned on, this keeps it at a constant 10% CPU usage.

For Fornite or whatever you're gonna need to launch it through the client because it has an update to download every 3 days.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Pssh, real pros launch into command line and run the batch file they created that goes to the directory with cd\ commands and then runs the exe.

This is all of my drag-drop games for LANs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nyaa posted:

Honestly, with the amount of AAA level free game I am getting bi-monthly, it worth more than whatever they got from me and the hassles.

I'm happy to get free titles from the Epic Launcher, but I don't think there's been a single AAA one...

Jackbox 1 and some indie darlings. Nothing to sneeze at, but the type of stuff you'd get for a few bucks (if not free) in Humble Bundle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Note that this game (Gone Home) in particular is not a steam key though, it's a DRM-free download.

E:F;B

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Indiana Jones and The Dig appear to be free on Discord Games for some reason.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

At least next week's free game is Overcooked (1).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TGLT posted:

Torchlight 1 doesn't have multiplayer

Lol drat I had actually forgotten about that little quirk.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If anyone has free (or paid) Destiny 2 and actually wants to keep access to it then you will need to transfer your account to Steam otherwise you will lose it.

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/PCMove

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh, I didn't realise it was going F2P. The email made it sound like you would lose access to the game entirely.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Samuringa posted:

You will [lose access] because its going F2P on Steam since Bungie is free from Activision now.

I don't get it. If it's gonna be F2P on Steam then I will be able to play it because it will be free.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

repiv posted:

Epic is giving away Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and Arkham Knight and Lego Batman 1+2+3 :pcgaming:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/collection/batman-free-week

Windows only :woz:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yes, a bunch of free games have also had the Mac versions, although I totally understand that it's easier when it's some indie dev than when it's some huge publisher that sold the porting rights to a separate company.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Battle Breakers

FYI this is some kind of F2P mobile game, not a free deal per se.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

site posted:

Unreal 1

I would love for it to be UT2K4

(Drag-drop version still works on win10, but a store version is helpful for getting people into it.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Samuringa posted:

This month's Twitch Prime games

These are only between Xmas and New Year's, BTW.
January's free games will be something else.

Mierenneuker posted:

Between Epic freebies, Twitch Prime and Xbox Game Pass I've definitely noticed overlap. It's one of the reasons I am starting to like Galaxy 2.0 to keep track of it all.

Someone asked if I wanted My Time at Portia the other week and I swore up and down I already had it.
After checking three storefronts I was amazed that I didn't actually own it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FYI

https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

(This is in addition to games that will let you run their .exe directly as long as Steam is present/logged-in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Could be a 32 bit issue.

MGS claims Shadow Tactics has poor compatibility with recent OS and 32 bit only.

https://www.macgamestore.com/product/6464/Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mordja posted:

Reminder that you should be playing HL2 with MMod.

I actually tried this but got the good old client library error.
God, I hate sourcemods so much.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

On the EGS store page for KCD the "HD textures" and "HD voices" DLCs are also free.
No idea whether they are important.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

El Fideo posted:

How do we feel about apps in this thread?

Tokaido is the mobile implementation of a board game, and it's free for both iOS and Android for the next week.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tokaido/id1215230801

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funforgedigital.tokaido

Probably better off in the respective mobile games thread.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

VideoGames posted:

New Thread Rule:

If a game is free on EGS you can post it absolutely, you can discuss the game, you can enjoy or dislike the game.

You can no longer talk about the pros and cons of EGS. Either make a thread about EGS and discuss it there or try to find the one that used to exist and post there.

No more derails about EGS in this thread.
Thank you kindly all!

For everyone's information, the thread already exists even!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886798

Both informative posts and making fun posts have coexisted happily in that thread thus far.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

El Fideo posted:

Drawful 2 on steam got posted here, but it's on EGS now too, and I'm not going over the last page of slapfights to see if that got shared.

Also on the Mac App Store.

I believe the EGS version is DRM-free so it might be worth picking up there even if you grabbed it on Steam.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you sign up for a paradox account then you can get the Old Gods DLC for CK2 for free.
No idea whether that's even worth anything or not...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There's always Scrabble clones :shobon:

Scrabble is great for this but unfortunately people cheat like absolute mofos on it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That's fairly annoying, but it does make sense.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1FA was considered good for a long time but now looking back it was obviously flawed.

Just go straight to 2FA.
When you get to choose a class, I wouldn't go for email or SMS. They are traps for new players.
TOTP is the best if you can be bothered to setup the combo correctly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm a huge idiot and I already play a crappy freemium idle game on Steam called Shop Heroes.
The word on the street is that Titans is a clone with even more predatory pricing and locking.
Apart from being 3D instead of 2D sprites I'm not even sure what the point of differentiation is meant to be.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't get their newsletter URL to load.
https://newsletter.11bitstudios.com
right?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

My personal and highly self-centered complaint with Stardock was when I bought a copy of Galactic Civilizations II and ran into a memory leak bug that caused the game to use up all memory and crash once your empire got to a certain size. Also textures were loaded in an unoptimized way which led to the game using a lot more video memory than it needed. The CEO had these fixed in an expansion in development, and promised to roll them back to the base game. This never happened, so I had basically paid for a demo of a full product.

In my righteous gamer anger, I vowed never to purchase another Stardock product.

I don't want to praise a company too much for ancient practices too much but Demigod had a shitshow of a launch and refunds were available.
This was well before Steam or anything else had refunds.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

civ shows up in EGS under S, for Sid lol

Sure if you sort the list of titles Alphabetically for some reason.
But if you're looking for Civ VI then you can punch 'civ' into the search box and it will come straight up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Weavered posted:

My Epic Games Launcher library is exclusively filled with the free games that they’ve released, none of which work on my Mac.

But they’re THERE and I feel all the better for it.

I'm probably missing some sort of slam on Epic, but you do know that there's about a dozen Mac games right?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also, Vulkan came out literally years after Metal so it's hard to blame them too much for that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's a bit of a shame because there's countless indie games with a good concept but they really need a decent sized playerbase to be anything other than worthless.

The other title that comes to mind first is The Ship / Murderous Pursuits.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not leaving my laptop open while I'm at work, I have a cat.

Turn off the lid sensor temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is Escapists2 co-op 1+1 only?