Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No Bad Rats, no deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It gets very repetitive but it scratches the mindless looting numbers go up box if you like that. Not sure on non-steam versions but there were a lot of decent mods that changed things up for it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Farquar posted:

As somebody who has never played Dark Souls, what does this mean? How is this similar?

In the past few years I've seen many games described as "like Dark Souls" but they all seems to be different genres, so I can't figure out what what they have in common.

Hard difficulty curve, lack of checkpoints or healing system. Dark Souls did do level design really great though, but a lot of games can't seem to match that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you're concerned with giving away privacy deets, use something like a virtual credit card from Privacy.com

Or just don't use it, because it's probably not worth it for some free games.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) Get Bitwarden

2) Don’t self host it because lmao it’s not 2003

3) Turn on two factor authentication with Google Authenticator and NOT a text to your phone because lmao it’s not 2013

Secure passwords is done

Self hosting is fine if you don’t want to rely on Bitwarden to host or if it’s ever compromised. Heck it’s easier than ever to self host now and is a good learning experience.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For what it’s worth I didn’t find anything posted here passive aggressive or really any bit out of line except maybe being off topic, but security being an ever important thing I think having healthy discussions of it and how it pertains to your online safety can lead to various ways of handling it.

To me I self host because it gives me control. I don’t have my BW instance pointed towards the internet so it’s a much smaller threat than if I did. But yes the benefits are small for doing so this way. And that’s fine. Just giving another perspective on why you’d want to.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

self-hosting is actively harmful if you don't have backups somewhere off-site, outside your house
because it means you could potentially lose all your data/passwords if your poo poo gets struck by lightning or a burgler takes all your electronics while you're at work or whatever

This is a good thought too. If you’re self hosting anything remotely important you should always follow the 3-2-1 backup rule.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

hold up, let me install these extensions, run a script, and clock in for my morning microsoft shift so I can maybe earn a "free game" what in the world is wrong with you people my god

lol yes truly what a burden all of this work is to do

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

listen, i don't wanna get accused of "exaggerating" things again; all i'm saying is that eventually these dopes will be willingly sending pix of their buttholes to redmond because the bing app told them that's how to unlock the free version of Tomb Raider

YouTube, Facebook and other sites are requiring people to submit photos of their IDs for “verification” so it’s already kinda happening.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
EA really should have kept the ambulance just driving out into the field and running everyone over in all of its games. Embrace chaos and not micro transactions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_138p6uzhUk&feature=youtu.be

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 20, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/espn/status/1318896736262328320

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It’s a mobile game ported to console and it shows. There’s not much too it and free is a good price.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I’ll suggest SimpleLogin or AnonAddy if you want to limit who you give out your actual email address to. You can create throwaway email addresses that just forward to your actual inbox. Good for seeing who leaks or sells your email address.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Mothergunship reminds me of Void Bastards and Tower of Guns with some interesting gun building mixed in. It's pretty fun for free if you like bullet hell games.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's kind of a chill game. Has you go through even doing individual screws like standoffs or the PCI-E lock. Really what I hate most about it is the music but it'd probably be a great game to just zone out and listen to a podcast.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Play posted:

There's some pretty crazy cards out there these days but I think even this one, which to my knowledge is the most powerful available anywhere with 48 GB of graphics memory, can still fit in a standard ATX case

that one video with the comically large graphics card that caught on fire was pretty funny though

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acce...XEaAi_PEALw_wcB

Walmart has them in stock but it doesn't package a free game with it so sorry thread.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I couldn't play it because they didn't allow you to install it on any other drive than the C drive. Then it got fixed and I played it and it was alright. Thanks for my Ted Talk

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

That's actually kind of cool to release DLC as a standalone thing like that. Gotta guess its to help promote the new game.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I know that's how this stuff works, but I'm always trepid about signing in to 3rd party websites via Steam. Sega's reputable, but I'm just worried one day it'll be a site that's pretending to be something reputable. (To be clear, I got my copy immediately added to my library).

I think it's good to be cautious and skeptical about these. Usually good protections are in place but just another reminder to always use unique passwords, 2FA (and not the SMS kind), and review all connections that's been made in the past from things like this.

Also if all you need is a throwaway email, you can use something like SimpleLogin or AnonAddy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Whenever possible try and enable 2FA through an app based token. Google's native authenticator on Android is okay enough in the sense that anything Google is providing can be "secure", but if you pay for a premium password app or VPN they may also have an authentication service and app included in your membership

I'll mention that it may not be a good thing to use one app for both passwords and token authentication in the event that it's compromised. Using separate ones will lower your risk.

Its a bit outside this thread's scope but I think it's always good to have a discussion about privacy and security when it comes up.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah it's pretty neat. I played it during a period I was really into Enter the Gungeon but never really stuck for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Off the top of my head:
Origin had a remote code execution vulnerability that worked even when the client wasn't running.
uPlay had a browser component that took Base64 encoded shell commands and just ran them without any sanitizing.
Only a few years a go Steam was pushing random purchase receipts to uninvolved users from a broken cache. It also forwarded command line parameters from malicious urls to game executables without sanitation.
Sony's back end was breached and they lost a poo poo ton of CC numbers, including mine.

I can't remember anything terrible about GoG Galaxy, maybe that's the one where they got it somewhat right?

Anyway, all of the store fronts I've used have been security trash fires. My current policy is not to put my CC number into any internet connected thing before they've had their first massive breach, and have been forced to fix at least some of the issues.

I use Privacy.com's virtual cards for this exact reason. I think even some major CC have virtual card features now too. It's really nice piece of mind.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I ended up putting close to 100 hours into it and bought the DLCs. It is much more enjoyable with people even randoms. Definitely a janky game in some regards but being able to swap to a different build easily kept it fresh and had a decent variety of weapons.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

treat posted:

I thought it'd be great for this but it's demanding way more of my attention than I thought it would. After rewinding the video I'm watching back 2 minutes for the 19th time I'm wishing I could just automate most of this poo poo. It looks like an idle game but there's no way I could possibly get any work done while making any sort of progress in this game at all.

It reminds me a bit like Realm Grinder with more of a hero RPG element to it. Early on I can usually just let my guy do a whole loop and then worry about stuff later. I don't think there's a big penalty for letting your deck get full and then drop off?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This thread is like a roguelike sometimes except I become more powerful with my posting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So we can all agree that Tetris is a Soulscraft?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, the game does not hold up well and never really did in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone is curious, Arcadeageddon on PS+ is a pretty fun co-op loot shooter, but only with other people. Playing solo was very boring.