Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Noper Q posted:

Weird how the only game that exists is Dark Souls. I have vague memories of a past where there were games other than Dark Souls, but maybe that's just my imagination. Good thing Dark Souls has a perfect design that can just be blindly copy and pasted into literally any game with no negative repercussions!

Sorry, I'm just so tired of this crap. Checkpoints that are way too far apart, extremely limited healing, and you better believe you're losing your upgrade currency if you die. Everyone loooooves corpse runs! I was really enjoying the game at first. The movement conceit is fun, original, and fast, and they did a good job making it intuitive and responsive. But the needlessly punishing difficulty makes me feel like I have to move at a crawl because I never know when something dangerous is going to appear just offscreen, and there goes one of the three hits I can take for the next twenty minutes of gameplay. And, sure, you can turn off a lot of this crap, but despite it having no influence on your ability to get achievements, they still go out of their way to say that it will permanently mark your save file, like some kind of mark of shame.

Also, I didn't know it was possible to make a 2D game with a bad camera, but they found a way. It will random decide to be zoomed in so far that you can't even see the walls, and when your only mode of movement is bouncing between walls, that seems questionable. And sometimes the screen rotates 90 degrees, and you have no control over when this happens. That would be disorienting enough on its own in a game that's all about navigation, but when it does this, the map doesn't rotate, so suddenly moving to the right in-game is going up on the map.

I maybe shouldn't be feeling this strongly about a game I got for free, but it's just so disappointing. I really was having fun; the movement is smooth as butter, and the setting and art style were intriguing. But for some reason they decided to have these terrible design decisions.

I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into the various dark souls games and honestly?

:same:

big. loving. :same:.

even fromsoft is getting boring at it. i don't give a flying gently caress about elden ring. do something different. give, fuckin', armored core the god damned love and attention you give soulslikes, god dammit.

and enough with the loving poison swamps, for fucks sake.

anyway hi thread i'm new to pc gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The mechanics Dandara specifically copied from DS:
When you die, you drop all your cash in a pile on top of your corpse and respawn at the last checkpoint. To get it back you have to make it back to the place you died. If you die again it disappears forever.
You have a limited number of healing potions that refill for free at checkpoints.

The dropping-your-souls thing is pretty dumb but the potions/estus flasks is a pretty clever design which more games should copy. It's like just having a 10x bigger health bar with no healing between checkpoints except it makes individual low-damage hits scarier and more meaningful because they can still kill you if you get hit with a few in a row without time to drink a potion in between.

I'm very, very much reminded of that one torch hollow in the burg underground.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

treat posted:

God I'm so sick of these loving dark souls clones where you have to restart from a save point whenever you die

real gamers only play roguelikes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Are the Metro games Fallout-y or is it more of a pure FPS game with a really great atmosphere?

Not that I really have much at stake with it being free and all...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I take the free ones, but I've made a sort of unofficial promise to myself to not ever actually pay money for anything on the Epic store. I'm not sure exactly why, but in large part it is due to the fact that anything there I can get either on GOG, which is my preference, or Steam if I must. I suppose that Epic just doesn't give me a reason to buy from them over other online storefronts.

Unleashing fortnite on the world is enough justification for me.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"holy crap, 15 new posts in the free games thread? neat! time to score a BUNCH of freebies!"

oh it's just arguing about the fortnite games store

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it really free if you have to give out your email?

:raise:

i mean it's definitely being used to create some sort of ad interest profile for you, but whether you're the product or the demographic is probably a more critical discussion for another thread/forum

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Are you trying to bring the whole loving Foundation down on this thread, man!?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Kins posted:

New set of Twitch Prime poo poo:

Battlefield 4 (Origin key)
BFF or Die
Newfound Courage
Lost in Harmony
Batman: The Telltale Series
Spitkiss

oh hey, i had a ton of fun playing baffy 4 back in its heydey, thanks, i don't usually check prime because it seems like it's mostly shovelware games!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

repiv posted:

my uncle at epic who's name rhymes with sim tweeney says its bloodborne

don't gently caress with me like this

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's two thousand and god damned twenty one and you all don't have burner email accounts?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

My original Gmail is absolutely useless now with the spam it gets. So anything I don't trust goes there.

My wife, years ago: "But I don't understand why you have four email accounts, why would you need more than one email account, are you hiding something from me?"

Me: "Yes, something terrible. Something sinister. Junk mail."

Wife: "You get so much junk mail you need multiple email accounts for it?"

Me: "Yup. Here. Look."

Wife:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Some insane number like 60% of all internet traffic routes through AWS, too. Even if you were to buycott Amazon proper, you're still using something like, say, cloud front when you're streaming video from wherever that has their resources on AWS. People handwring about the government "shutting off" the internet, but if any one company actually has that power...it's Amazon.

Capitalism bad, free stuff good. Do crimes, be gay.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

More limes, be gray

Do not - do not eat grey limes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

dogstile posted:

Part of my job in real life is to get inside PC's and fix them/build them.

I'll still spend the extra cash to have the PC delivered to me completely built. gently caress doing it in my own time, tbh.

Yeah gently caress messing around with a computer guts if there's not a paycheck attached. Just cause I'm good at it don't mean I enjoy doing it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Can't help but think you'll be missing a certain tactile feel. But yeah, as I said, every real life action can be translated to a fun video game.

You just need the right people to make it happen.

"you get suitcases and you hike across America to deliver them."

"that's it?"

"basically. It's Kojima's best work, too."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

E:

Eh, I haven't played Death Stranding, I just heard it's not very good.

You need better friends.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

all USB connections must be made twice, because it's upside down the first time

Sometimes even the second time too, like, what the gently caress, am I having a stroke?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Play posted:

Agreed. Although the alternative, me not being able to find one at all and either continue going without or paying some insane scalper price, is even worse. So I'm grateful enough, Which I guess is even more cyberpunk

i'm misappropriating company property to play games. i touch spreadsheets for a living, they wouldn't have given me an rtx machine and local admin rights if they didn't want me to play games on it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i have 16gb of ram in my laptop with a 2060 :cool:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the GPU arms race of the early aughts was probably what ended up driving me to console gaming for a long time tbh, but with the jumps that have been made in more recent years with the smallification of technology making gaming laptops at least viable, i really don't see myself going back to consoles as a primary device.

dat bloodborne and death stranding director's cuts, tho...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

timp posted:

FWIW that was one of the rare free games posted in this thread that I actually fully beat. It's pretty fun! I also beat Control, really enjoyed that one too.

And now I'm actually having a pretty tough time recalling any other free games from this thread that I beat. Hell, even installing and playing them is unusual, so seeing one through to the end is really something special

I got Hitman 3 somehow, I think it was this thread, and it's a great (if short) playthrough. Control was great too, especially if you like SCP articles.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

*tugging collar intensifies*

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

timp posted:

Oh yeah, I did beat Hitman as well. I even bought the DLC for Control and Hitman because I enjoyed them both so much. But you must be talking about the first Hitman (2016), which was definitely free on the EGS at one point. I'd be really surprised if you got Hitman 3 free because it just came out this year and AFAIK it's still like 50-60 bucks.

Also I did beat GTAV but I don't really count that cause I'd already beaten it once back in 2013

Weird, I know for sure I didn't pay a dime for it, I got it for free somehow, and legit, because it's on my EGS account

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This thread has the delightfully weirdest derails. I love it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Havana syndrome??? In my wasteland???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I've heard tell that Control is a fun game, if you're one of those sickos that like, plays games. Not me, though. I don't get enjoyment from a magic SCP gun and telekinetic powers and noneuclidian geometric platforming.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

My chief complaint with games pass is that there's virtually no support for mods. Like who the gently caress is gonna download and play skyrim in 2021 and just play through the vanilla game?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

chglcu posted:

Pretty sure that works out to working for less than minimum wage to get that “free” game pass. I suppose if you don’t have the money otherwise, that’s fine, but for most people it seems like it wouldn’t be worth it.

you mean like

not being online?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sounds like an issue that only people that play games would have.

:thunk:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OgNar posted:

I dont understand why the Amazon games program doesnt show outside stuff like the Journey to the Savage Planet and Frostpunk keys.
I have to go to https://gaming.amazon.com/home to claim it instead.

something something engagement metrics blah blah blah you are the product

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

elf help book posted:

You're just supposed to claim them all, not ask questions

Do not play. Do not play.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Kins posted:

Another game got added to the Amazon Twitch Gaming Prime Gaming thing:

Football Manager 2021 (Epic Games Store key)

You need Amazon Prime and an EGS account??

Oh boy. Things are gonna get rowdy in here ;)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

o7

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Whenever possible try and enable 2FA through an app based token. Google's native authenticator on Android is okay enough in the sense that anything Google is providing can be "secure", but if you pay for a premium password app or VPN they may also have an authentication service and app included in your membership

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

I'll mention that it may not be a good thing to use one app for both passwords and token authentication in the event that it's compromised. Using separate ones will lower your risk.

Its a bit outside this thread's scope but I think it's always good to have a discussion about privacy and security when it comes up.

This thread's diverse range of entertaining derails is like 60% of the reason I keep it bookmarked - it's part of its charm, even. I've only ever actually played a handful of the games I've snagged because of it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Yep, I've been using a bunch of PaySafe cards as well. It's a bit of a hassle, but getting your CC shut because a megacorp didn't give a gently caress about security is a bigger hassle. And why would they? It's not like there's been any real consequences about the above.

Hey now, I'm sure no small number of low level devs spoke up, were ignored to meet a deadline, and then subsequently sacked when the thing they warned would happen, happened.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Is it time for the free games thread store debate derail again already? It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

i stand by my comment that this thread's derails are part of its charm.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Large Testicles posted:

I only buy games from ethically sourced capitalist companies. None of this filthy communism gets in the way of my gaming.

Quality, ethical studios like CDPR, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Bungie, Rockstar, Activision...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Please give me a 6er if I get into the China/USA ethical consumption/Adrian Zenz argument please at this or any future time in the thread