Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuringa posted:

This is on, by the way.

Next week is a ? ? ? Batman game that will most likely be the latest Lego Gotham.
It might also be the telltale batman(s). Maybe a combination of the two given the fractured image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Arkham Knight is also the free game on PS+ this month, so I think Warner or the publisher just doesn't care about royalties for it at the moment.
Warner is the publisher, but yeah they're probably gearing up for some Batman related thing.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Thanks for whispering machine.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the point of "there is no ethical consumption..." is that, if an economic system is not based on ethics, it is not reasonable to morally judge the consumption choices of the people who find themselves subjected to that system. it has nothing to do with what is the heart of the people who find themselves having to make those economic choices
No it isn't. The point of "no ethical consumption" is that no matter what we do there are going to be unethical choices that we make and so while we should strive within our means and interests to be ethical, we should understand and not beat ourselves (and others) for not being perfect. Understanding that the system does not let people be perfect does not mean you can't strive to do better personally or criticize others for egregious choices. If shopping at walmart is the best you can reasonably do, then that's fine, but that doesn't mean it's also ok to shop at bizarromart that chains it's employees and makes them pay for the chains, especially if there's a walmart next door. You can still have standards, even if the standards might not be what you'd like them to be.

Not buying games (or in this case getting someone else to buy a game for you) from the serial harasser and tyrant who literally tries to kill his employees is not a hard economic choice forced on us by capitalism, it's a choice people can easily make without meaningful sacrifice. If Brad Wardell owned the only internet provider in your area, then not paying him would be an unreasonable sacrifice to expect of most people. The context of the unethical consumption (both in what you're consuming, what your options are, and how egregious the unethical underlying behaviour) still matters.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Xander77 posted:

Looking at the steam page, I can't even find any info about the difference between different editions.

Deluxe is temp XP boosts and some skins
Gold is season pass plus AC3.
Ultimate is both.
So I guess either base or gold are the way to go.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why would anyone wait in a digital line with key resellers and bots when they can just click a button on steam to add the game?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Data is plural, the singular (which no one ever uses) is datum, so you were right the first time.
"what" and "which" have nothing to do with singular or plural. "which" is when the speaker is presenting, possibly implied, options. "What" is open ended.
Which horses ate your apples? What are you going to eat?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Stickman posted:

If you look at the Pinball FX3 page, there’ll be a free “Care Package” bundle that includes the base game and those three DLC! Clicking the “Install” button will permanently activate them on your account.
Should note, for some the install button only appears on the DLC pages, not the main page. So you have to click package info then one of the 3 dlc the click the install button beside package info on the dlc. You should only have to do this once, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wow, they didn't even list GYLT, their one exclusive. That's gotta hurt for those devs.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

So are these the only games you can play for free with the new deal? I have tried reading about Stadia multiple times and the whole thing just confuses me.
Stadia is a store, it has no free games (outside this 2 month trial period). You can pay $10 per month to get a couple of random games of their choosing, of the sort listed there, or not subscribe and have access to 0 games unless you pay full retail price for them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sleeveless posted:

If talking about Epic is banned in this thread could we also extend that Stadia, there are half a dozen threads on this site for people to complain about it already.
Agreed. Time limited trials requiring a credit card aren't free games.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Assassin's Creed 2 (not brotherhood or revelations) will be free to keep on Tuesday on Uplay, apparently.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I played it last month and it holds up pretty well (the original AC not so much).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Free Gato Roboto Steam Key: http://devolver.link/GatoAW
Make an alienware account, confirm the email and enter a name, DOB and province/state and you'll get a popup with a steam key.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

goferchan posted:

At this point, most services out there, including the Epic store, support app-based 2FA (through a program like Authy or Google Authenticator that meets web standards-- annoyingly, Steam requires you to use its own proprietary one). These apps work by generating a key that's unique to your device and based off the current date and time, so as long as you have the physical phone or tablet you shouldn't need cellphone service or even an internet connection to use them. It's more secure than text messaged based 2FA anyways. Epic allows you to use am email address anyways, which isn't really 2FA but whatever.
That's slightly better, but still has issues because a) it means you need a smartphone and b) if your phone dies or gets lost or stolen you're hosed. The solution then is a recovery code, which you're meant to write down and store in a secure place which is fine for some things but not so much for others. 2FA really puts security and functionality at odds with each other and depending on what you're using it for there are times where the security is not worth the functionality loss.

Why isn't email really 2FA (assuming you're not logging into epic through your email)?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Len posted:

Who is Brad Wardell?
Bee loving, employee hating (especially women), lawsuit happy CEO of Stardock.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

doctorfrog posted:

The company that makes the Witcher games owns GOG. Seems weird to offer their game for free on EGS, especially when they've given away Witcher 1 and 2 as ways to promote their own competing store and client, but haven't given away Witcher 3 for the same purpose yet.
If they get paid by EGS for each copy of Witcher 3 and maybe can link it back to GOG the way ubisoft does with uplay it might make sense.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like, free in the context of this thread and in most context of the world means lack of monetary payment, so yes it's free.
How about games that don't require monetary payment but do require you to install a bitcoin miner? (which you can optionally turn off, maybe? I dunno I'm not touching that poo poo) Wasteland 2 is currently available that way.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, what
The game doesn't have a miner, it's just an optional way to get it free from Fargo's new start up.
Also I guess it's not bitcoin, it's IRON or whatever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Cache

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

repiv posted:

Watch Dogs 2 will be free for a very limited time - you have to have Uplay running during their presentation on the 12th.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1280172277406076928
Yeah that's like a 45 minute window. Would suck to be in Australia where it's at like 4AM.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a moot point anyway, I already posted the tweet with the website saying it's all day and not just the hour window.
That's not what that says.
https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/forward

quote:

On the day of the conference, don't forget to login with your Ubisoft account to claim a free copy of Watch Dogs 2, plus the chance to earn additional in-game rewards.

vs.
https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/41nS5f7EjNSB9Hi7CwSuVz/ubisoft-forward-everything-you-need-to-know

quote:

Ubisoft Forward, a summer celebration of Ubisoft’s upcoming lineup of games and content, is right around the corner! The event will stream live on ubisoft.com/Forward on July 12; here’s everything you need to know to join the celebration, including how you can claim a free copy of Watch Dogs 2.

Tune in to the dedicated Ubisoft Forward stream starting at 10:30 AM PDT with a packed pre-show and free rewards. The Ubisoft News team and friends will be playing Trackmania live on stream, followed by exclusive news, interviews, and a look at upcoming content, including intel about the AI teammates coming to Ghost Recon Breakpoint, news from Just Dance 2020, a deep dive into a much-loved Easter egg from The Division 2, and more! Don't forget to log in with your Uplay account anytime after Trackmania and before the end of the main show to claim a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 on PC, and to get a chance to answer trivia questions and win some rewards for a variety of Ubisoft titles.

If you want to interpret the vague "login that day", as being any time on that day as opposed to their explicit statement that says only from mystery time between 10:30 and noon PDT until 12:45ish PDT that's up to you.

It would certainly make most sense to have it be all day, but nowhere do they suggest that and they do suggest the opposite.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

For Watch Dogs 2, it is a 2 hour window. BUT, it seems you don't have to click any buttons to get it. Just have the stream running on a logged in account or on a linked twitch account.

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-GB/faqs/55660

Join us for Ubisoft Forward on 12 July 2020, between 18:30 UTC and 20:30 UTC, to claim your free copy of Watch Dogs 2!

If you are joining us on our official website or through Uplay, make sure you log into the Ubisoft account you would like to receive the game on.
If you are joining us on Twitch, make sure your accounts are set up to receive Twitch Drops.

Your free copy will be delivered the day after the event, on 13 July 2020.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheAnomaly posted:

Alright, what do you think the first "respectable" Graphic Novels are? Like, the earliest recognized ones are from '78 and were almost entirely collected short series reprinted in single book form. The Watchmen is out a year before Maus gets collected as a graphic novel and wins the pullitzer. What non-anglo centric graphic novels do you think deserve the "first respectable literary form" title? Please note I'm not trying to be condescending here, I'm just curious on what Graphic Novels I'm missing out on.
I'm going to bet Tintin or Asterix, or maybe something similar but more obscure and mature.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fuzz posted:

This only works if you have a mutant hand with a middle finger that isn't longer than your ring or index fingers.
Maybe middle finger goes on C, ring finger goes on E, index on T, pinky on Q? Can't imagine using that, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I played using the keypad for years until I stopped gaming for a few years and started using WASD instead. I still think the keypad is better but having to move the keyboard that far left isn't worth it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Kins posted:

From the "dead game walking" files, but free stuff regardless: Play one game of Quake Champions during QuakeCon, get every character for free.

https://twitter.com/FrothyOmen/status/1291029976918175746
I tried this, it took forever for the game to load, it looks ugly as hell, I only had one character to choose from, and once the match started I had no idea why I got the jump on everyone yet still got killed by them even though I shot at them for several seconds before they turned around and killed me (probably because I had no idea what I was doing but the game was no help in explaining anything). Then when the match was over the game crashed.

Great game Bethesda, I have no idea why it's dead.

Edit: I tried a second match, I could choose other characters there, it took 10 minutes to find a match though.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 7, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you're quick you can get Monster Slayers for free right now:
https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2140143/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/monster-slayers-steam-game-key-giveaway
They're doing one giveaway a day for a few days so if you miss this you might get lucky tomorrow.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cuntman.net posted:

what is happening in this thread
Everyone's racing to be first, it really feels like there's some formula they have to follow when they hear about a free game and they're not often humble about it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Oh god the microtransactions on that game are gonna be loving terrible for that to make sense.
A Chance

quote:

On August 10, 5,000 Super Tickets will be made available in Verizon Up, exclusively for Verizon wireless and Fios customers, on a first-come, first-served basis.
They bought 5000 copies to give away to their subscribers. That says nothing about what the game will be like, it's fewer copies than games bundled with video cards.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Waltzing Along posted:

When did Epic start offering all this free stuff? I looked at my account and I have a ton now but I didn't really start grabbing it until late last year. Before that it was jus sporadic. The earlier I see is The Witness which I'm pretty sure I got for free. Note: i have never played an EGS game.
12/14/2018 Subnautica was the first. It was one game every two weeks until June last year, then two every two weeks for a while. Didn't become two every week until this year. So maybe that sporadic isn't as sporadic as it seems.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

webmeister posted:

Yeah I’ve tried a few of those like changing FOV and weapon bob, but nothing has really worked unfortunately. I tried several times but never even made it through the cart ride scene in Half-Life. Weirdly enough I managed to struggle through Portal okay, but that’s been basically it.
I don't know what you've played, but as someone who gets motion sickness only on some games, Half Life is one of the worst and has poo poo for meaningful options to alleviate it. Portal is almost as bad and only worked because it's a puzzle game so I can play it in short bits and can choose to look away. There are a lot of other games I've had no issue with, though. I never had an issue with Thief or Dishonored or Far Cry or playing Skyrim in first person, for example. On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cojawfee posted:

Is it possibly an FOV thing? Do you know what about the game it is that makes you sick? Also, Rime runs notoriously poorly on everything. Bad framerate can cause headaches for me sometimes.
In general FOV seems to be the thing that helps in most games, along with disabling camera bob and motion blur. For Rime I think I decided it was something about the way the camera follows the character. It wasn't a framerate thing, it was something specific about how the camera acts in relation to character movement that there was no setting for. I still got through the game, but I enjoyed it much less than I might have otherwise.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

webmeister posted:

To be honest, Portal was probably the last first-person game I played. I made an extra effort for that since everyone raved about it so much, but I basically just peaced out of the genre after deciding the side-effects weren't worth it. There's enough other genres out there that interest me. Does Skyrim lock you into first person during the opening cart ride cutscene? It's been ages since I played and can't really remember, but I seem to recall that being a thing - I couldn't switch to third-person until after the cutscene so I spent most of it looking out my window :v:
I just tried and yeah apparently it does, and while it doesn't give me motion sickness I can see why it would, that bumpy road is terrible and unnecessary. Staying in a fixed view might give me motion sickness, but you can move your head around in the cutscene, and if I look backwards, or somewhat upwards it's fine. You're also locked in for a few minutes after the cart ride where you have to run around until you get to a house, only then can you switch views. I also played around a bit and while the first person view seems fine as far as motion sickness goes it feels clunkier and with a tighter FOV than I remember. Maybe I've been playing too many third person games because I always thought first person felt better in Skyrim, but now I'm thinking third person might be better. I also remembered that mouse sensitivity is the other setting I change to make things feel better.

I agree that there are so many great games of all sorts that cutting out the ones that give you motion sickness isn't a big deal. I know others have worse motion sickness than I do, I just found it interesting that you used Half life and Portal as your examples since I found those to be particularly bad about motion sickness.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

chairface posted:

Which is why I was baffled the steam download was 63mb. Didn't this come on a single floppy back in the day?
The vast majority of that install size is music.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

There's a different leak that says the first game tomorrow will be Cities Skylines. That's much more believable, even if the source is also a random tweet signal boosted by youtube and lovely gaming "news" sites fishing for clicks.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Xander77 posted:

"Sale ends 12/27/2020 at 6:00 PM"

Umm, at 6:00 PM where, exactly? Can't even get that much right?

(I actually need to know this for complicated "I got this friend" reasons)
Your time, or whatever Epic thinks is your time. 8 hours from now, 4PM GMT.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

OgNar posted:

If you hook your steam waitlist through isthereanydeal.com, they've had a breach and you need to change your steam password.
That's not what that email says, at all. The breach was specific to itad and entirely on their side. Attackers were able to bypass the steam login and enter your itad account, they did not get any steam password info.

And frankly, given how people reuse passwords this is a good example of why steam sign on is useful. itad messed up the implementation so only they are affected, if they messed that up they're also capable of messing up direct sign in, which would be more likely to expose a password.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zushio posted:

Was Thief Gold free at some point and I missed it? I already have the trilogy but I keep trying to get someone I know to play it.
Yes at various points. From Amazon and from Eidos directly, maybe also directly on steam. It's been several years, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Quill posted:

Was this the game that made Bethesda's work look polished in comparison?

NBA 2K has some grindy progression and for, some game modes, annoying monetization, and it has endless loading screens but the core game itself isn't really buggy or lacking polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

flatluigi posted:

i haven't seen a free trial in like over a decade that didn't want your payment info to charge you afterwards
I've seen several, and I don't particularly look for free trials. It's not very common for the "sign up whenever you want" ones like Netflix or Amazon prime, since they want to cut down on alt accounts, but for time restricted ones or ones involving limited codes that shouldn't be a concern. Assuming those discord codes expire in a short time frame they run no risk of people chaining them with alts.