Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
every fucker in here posting their university textbooks needs to branch out. Oh yeah, I TOTALLY enjoyed the operating systems dinosaur book, unlike everyone else in my class who skimmed it and just read the loving lecture slides, I found the dense info dumps and characteristically disorganized committee writing fascinating. I'm smart and def have read a book since graduation.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Hell yes. I love reading a sequential detailing of the canonical algorithms they drum into you at school. Almost as good as my other favourite book "Mathematics 2C: Foundations". Definitely a personal favourite of mine, great for fireside reading.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Amethyst posted:

this book is excellent. It's a detailed history of the atari 2600 which goes deep into the evolution of programming techniques throughout the consoles lifetime. fascinating stuff

agreedo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Amethyst posted:

every fucker in here posting their university textbooks needs to branch out. Oh yeah, I TOTALLY enjoyed the operating systems dinosaur book, unlike everyone else in my class who skimmed it and just read the loving lecture slides, I found the dense info dumps and characteristically disorganized committee writing fascinating. I'm smart and def have read a book since graduation.

you're so loving mad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I read the minix book for fun

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

When I bought this for school the girl at the checkout counter asked if I was in elementary education :owned:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

all web design is for babies

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
my brother in law got me the steve jobs biography for christmas

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the best computer book is whatever one gets your monitor up to the right height

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Understanding-Computers-editors-Time-Life/dp/0705409104

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

same as always, op:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol. im the baby on the right.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

when I was a kid my parents had this book about computers. it explained all you need to know, like the how the cpu connects to the other parts of the computer through the bus, how the performance of processors goes Pentium Pro > Pentium 2(?) > 486 > 386, how the universal serial bus and sata were cool and good. stuff like that. best part, it had pictures, with little anthropomorphic floppy disk dudes! cant remember what it was called but I loved that book

e: also had software stuff. it explained that windows 3.1 and 95 were based on dos but the new windows nt was not based on dos, and practical stuff like spreadsheets and word processors. all around a good book for a middle-class adult new to this whole computer thing, like my mom

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 20, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

VostokProgram posted:

when I was a kid my parents had this book about computers. it explained all you need to know, like the how the cpu connects to the other parts of the computer through the bus, how the performance of processors goes Pentium Pro > Pentium 2(?) > 486 > 386, how the universal serial bus and sata were cool and good. stuff like that. best part, it had pictures, with little anthropomorphic floppy disk dudes! cant remember what it was called but I loved that book

e: also had software stuff. it explained that windows 3.1 and 95 were based on dos but the new windows nt was not based on dos, and practical stuff like spreadsheets and word processors. all around a good book for a middle-class adult new to this whole computer thing, like my mom

what the hell book has both the pentium pro and sata in it?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raluek posted:

what the hell book has both the pentium pro and sata in it?

yeah my bad it wasn't sata, it was pata or something

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ultra-ATA maybe

it wasn't called PATA until after SATA took hold

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Silver Alicorn posted:

ultra-ATA maybe

it wasn't called PATA until after SATA took hold

EIDE :v:

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

akadajet posted:

lol. im the baby on the right.

right baby is going places

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

all the babies look like gross dumbfuck babies hth

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

GoldenTeeth posted:

A netbook, OP.

i think u mean a macbook op :smug:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

i almost bought this the other day, looks rad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
first edition of "mastering regular expressions"

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

VostokProgram posted:

I didn't read any of this crap. I asked everyone to post books, not loving write them.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
Bump

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Satellit3 posted:

all the babies look like gross dumbfuck babies hth

as do all web designers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

k&r, operating system concepts, dragon book: old trash nerds like for no good reason

computer organization and design, taocp, the blue book, the scheme book: fun reads that may teach you something you'll enjoy

papadimitrious computational complexity: god tier best

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
sicp

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
OpenGL red book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

vodkat posted:

i almost bought this the other day, looks rad

I haven't read it cover to cover, but a good amount of the essays are interesting. It is a nice cross between art and theory writing.

• Locked thread