Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, also given how many "Tombs" there must be lying around with Cybermen in suspended animation, there is no reason that the Doctor shouldn't be encountering differing levels of technologically upgraded Cybermen.

There's a pretty awful Big Finish story by Joseph Lidster called The Reaping that has one really great moment in it. A hyper-advanced Cyberman from far in the future travels back in time with crude time-travel technology and forces the Doctor to transport it to Mondas before it encountered earth. Its plan is to upgrade the Cybermen there, but when it arrives it is damaged and the older "sing-song" Cybermen recognize it as a Cyberman, but don't understand its technology and - realizing it is damaged - assume that the upgrades are actually part of the fault. So with typical remoseless logic they completely ignore its protests and pleading to listen as they tear its upgrades away and imprint their own crude programming over its advanced one, wiping its mind of the "illogical/impossible" memories it has and reducing it to just another identical, crude, old-fashioned Cyberman.

I always really liked the Cybermen (in concept, if not execution) way more than the Daleks. I've not listened to any audios but I'm thinking of getting into them. That scene sounds cool as poo poo too. Which are some good Cyberman audios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

Ah, then I must have misunderstood you. As much as I'd like to listen to Season Two, I can't really afford spending 120 bucks on it. Eight's Season One is on offer, though, so I'm tempted. Maybe I'll skip some stuff, but Minuet in Hell honestly sounds like it could be fun.

"Season 2" is Invaders From Mars up through Neverland (and arguably Zagreus) , which is also on permanent discount.

Stabbatical posted:

I always really liked the Cybermen (in concept, if not execution) way more than the Daleks. I've not listened to any audios but I'm thinking of getting into them. That scene sounds cool as poo poo too. Which are some good Cyberman audios?

Spare Parts is a definite fan favorite (for good reason), and The Harvest and The Silver Turk are also excellent. Last of the Cybermen looks promising too but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 4, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

"Season 2" is Invaders From Mars up through Neverland (and arguably Zagreus) , which is also on permanent discount.

Spare Parts is a definite fan favorite (for good reason), and The Harvest and The Silver Turk are also excellent. Last of the Cybermen looks promising too but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

That… is really confusing. :v: Thank you for clarifying that. Season Two it is, then.

Personally, I enjoyed Last of the Cybermen for everything other than the Cybermen. They're not handled badly, but they're more of a backdrop for all the amazing character interactions.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

And More posted:

Personally, I enjoyed Last of the Cybermen for everything other than the Cybermen. They're not handled badly, but they're more of a backdrop for all the amazing character interactions.

so like nearly every other cyberman story then? :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

so like nearly every other cyberman story then? :v:

Basically. Except really, really good. :shrug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dalek Empire/stage play stuff

We have like the exact opposite opinion, somehow! Something that never happens in this thread. :v:

I think Dalek War just drones on and on - it's the sort of thing that could have been a single, two hour story and been an enjoyable trek, but they just keep adding twists and turns until the characters themselves seem bored of it. The Stageplays, on the other hand, are definitely goofy and dated, but they're such a fun look into the weird history of Doctor Who. They're not great stories on their own (and hoo boy, you're definitely right about the music!). They do an okay job of adapting them to audio, but you still often feel as though they're waiting for applause at the cool special effects. Still, if you read some of the summaries as to how they came to be, they're sort of like a long special features for a Pertwee era DVD. I particularly like the story Terrence Dicks tells about how he had to leave opening night early because his eight year old son was too afraid of the Daleks to stay.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spare Parts is fantastic, but I always have great trouble making out what it is the Cyber Committee is saying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like Spare Parts but I never thought it was quite as amazing as others made it out. Probably my favorite Cybermen audio is one I don't want to name, because their arrival is one of the best cliffhangers Big Finish has done. Once they show up, their portrayal and the 8th Doctor's reaction to them is basically exactly what I've always felt they should be, and it's executed to near perfection.

Cyberman: We muzzzzzzt survive.
Doctor: Yes yes, you must survive..... but why?
Cyberman (confused): ........thizzz quezzztion is irrelevant.....

The story is Human Resources but if you can go into the story unspoiled it will be so, so much better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Cyberman: We muzzzzzzt survive.
Doctor: Yes yes, you must survive..... but why?
Cyberman (confused): ........thizzz quezzztion is irrelevant.....

That is a really good exchange.

I'm in the middle of the Eighth Doctor's fourth season and really enjoying it. They actually do a pretty good job of reviving the Meddling Monk as a villain. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Tamsin, but it usually does take me a few stories to warm up to a new companion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

And More posted:

In Cyberman, I loved the reveal of the bug in Karen's reprogramming. Liam's partial conversion was kind of goofy, honestly. As far as moments between humanity and conversion go, Spare Parts handled it probably the best. Just a weeping Cyberman trying to remember who she is.

I said it around the time someone in the thread finished Cyberman 2, but Big Finish finally broke my resolve and made me care about the Orion War thing with the Keepsake appendix attached to the disappointing Kingdom of Silver. With that out of the way, I ended up enjoying Cyberman 2 a lot.

And More posted:

That… is really confusing. :v: Thank you for clarifying that. Season Two it is, then.
Yep, at the current web pricing, the download will cost exactly 10% of what you were afraid it would. And you've already got one. Is Chimes of Midnight the only season 2 story you've heard? Because that means you're in the enviable position of getting to hear Seasons of Fear and Neverland for the first time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

I said it around the time someone in the thread finished Cyberman 2, but Big Finish finally broke my resolve and made me care about the Orion War thing with the Keepsake appendix attached to the disappointing Kingdom of Silver. With that out of the way, I ended up enjoying Cyberman 2 a lot.

Cyberman series 2 is good because they discard the fairly typical "is an android... a human?? Can it have... emotions?" plot and actually do something interesting with the differences between the humans, androids and Cybermen. I still think there's a little too much of the paranoia thing in parts 2 and 3 (the one with the insane space captain in particular was a five minute plot stretched into an hour), but the last part of it is actually quite good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

That is a really good exchange.

I'm in the middle of the Eighth Doctor's fourth season and really enjoying it. They actually do a pretty good job of reviving the Meddling Monk as a villain. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Tamsin, but it usually does take me a few stories to warm up to a new companion.

I liked Tamsin because she used her acting skills to good use.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

I liked Tamsin because she used her acting skills to good use.

That I definitely like! They don't beat you over the head with it, but it's present, and it's a part of her personality and how she interacts with the generalized TARDIS situation of being a fish out of water. I think I'd like her a lot better if she hadn't followed Lucie Miller, because there's a lot that's sort of Lucie 2.0 about her. It's not just that she calls the Doctor on his nonsense, complains constantly about being in the wrong place, and has a lot of fun, it's that she does those things, mostly, in the same way. It's also a minor pet peeve of mine that every companion of the Eighth Doctor leaves him by getting into a weird ideological fight with him. It was oddly out of character with his previous two companions, and while it at least works for Tamsin, it's getting toward "memory loss" levels of ubiquitous for him.

All minor complaints, though. All in all, the EDAs have been a lot of fun, and the manic goofiness that comes with most of them helps to break up the pace of the Main Range.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh.

So the Netflix thing was commented on but this was not. Apparently the BBC has taken both modern and Classic Doctor Who not just from Netflix, but also Hulu.

That's kind of lovely of them. Like, Modern Who I can understand. Why would they do that with Classic Who? That's the only reliable way to actually watch it legally.

Hopefully they'll get something going on their end that won't be needlessly complicated.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Modern Who is still on Netflix :australia:, for what it's worth.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Looks like new Who is still up in 95 countries (the US not being one of them), but classic Who's been taken down everywhere.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pinacotheca posted:

Looks like new Who is still up in 95 countries (the US not being one of them), but classic Who's been taken down everywhere.

I'm hoping this is something of a good sign. Like, there has to be a reason to specifically be withdrawing Classic Who from global streaming services, given it's probably the most lucrative 'classic' show the BBC have, with the possible exception of Monty Python.

I could see it being a really good move to launch a specific 'classic BBC' worldwide streaming service. There's a lot of good older shows they could leverage there, I know I'd pay for it. poo poo, I'd pay Netflix subscription cash for Classic Who alone, and I'm sure that's not the only thing I'd watch.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 5, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I could see it being a really good move to launch a specific 'classic BBC' worldwide streaming service. There's a lot of good older shows they could leverage there, I know I'd pay for it. poo poo, I'd pay Netflix subscription cash for Classic Who alone, and I'm sure that's not the only thing I'd watch.
I bet they're just going to put it on the BBC iPlayer and laugh at everyone outside Britain.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ofaloaf posted:

I bet they're just going to put it on the BBC iPlayer and laugh at everyone outside Britain.

Hah noooope

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's not the best of timing, launching a streaming service (if that is the plan), when one of the shows with international appeal is yet again on a season long hiatus. It also sort of builds appeal. I never would have gotten into Doctor Who if not for Netflix, and now I've bought three individual seasons on Amazon to keep up with it.

If they do launch an affordable stream that has access to classic stuff, I'd go for it in a heartbeat, though.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Well, the Beeb did recently set up an online store for some of it's shows (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/features/buy-and-keep, https://store.bbc.com/) including Doctor Who which has some, if not all, of the stories previously available on DVD, except the TV Movie, so it's not out of the question that they may want to reduce streaming access if Worldwide thinks it can get more money that way.

Also, thanks for the audio recommendations, I'll check that stuff out. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah the BBC is launching its own streaming platform very soon. There's adverts on the Tube for it.

CBS has taken all the Star Trek series off Netflix (aside from in the US, although I'd wager that won't be there too much longer) to put on its own steaming service, along with the new series coming in 2017.

The downside of all this is that with everyone wanting their slice of the streaming pie, the consumer isn't going to be willing to pony up for each individual service, but would rather have it all in one place, which is what made Netflix so popular. They're just going to bring about more piracy and lose money because they'd rather put their content in their own little forts rather than share it around and let everyone access it.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, especially since Big Finish do a really loving good job at producing that voice effect in a way that actually sounds creepy. Given that Nicholas Briggs does the Cybermen voices on television just like he does the Daleks, I'm surprised that they haven't at least given it a go.
The latest TV Cyberman voice is terrible. It sounds like the batteries in a Dalek toy are running low.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Picklepuss posted:

The latest TV Cyberman voice is terrible. It sounds like the batteries in a Dalek toy are running low.

Nick Briggs told a story about when it came to Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, he and RTD had decided on the voice to use. So when they were filming (since Briggs does the voices live), director Graeme Harper came up to him and told him no, he wants the Cybermen to sound more like Darth Vader. Briggs began to fret, because he didn't want to upset the director, but that's not what he and RTD had agreed on. He conveyed this to David Tennant, who said "Call Russell". Briggs didn't want to do this, didn't want to cause waves, but David stressed "Call Russell". So Briggs did, explained the situation, and minutes after he got off the phone, Harper came up to him and told him they were going to do the voices they way Briggs wanted to.

The funnier story is on the eve of filming "Rise/Age", Briggs had been a party with Tennant, and at the end, Tennant bade him farewell with "See you in Cardiff!" and Briggs said he didn't think that was happening. Tennant was shocked, asked why, and got the reply that he assumed he wasn't doing the Cybermen voices. Tennant then (and I like to imagine after saying "What?" several times) called RTD, who immediately called Briggs, asking why he wasn't going to do the Cybermen voices. Briggs said his agent had never been contacted about it. RTD told him to hold on a minute, and Briggs said five minutes later his agent called saying he had been offered to the Cybermen voices for series 2.

I think it's funny that everyone involved with the production just assume that, of course, Nick Briggs is voicing the Cybermen, so no one actually bothered to book him for it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Those're some great stories, where did he tell them?

Also, the '06 design and voices were really good. I'm still on the fence about the current one. The head is good, but the detailing on the body is bit busy. Not sure if the current voice fits or is too aggressive, I prefer the flatter takes on it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am not a fan of Modern (Modern) Cybermen design because they just look like Ironman clones to me. They also can act like Iron Man clones so you know.

Mind you their various super powers outside of flight only showed up in Nightmare in Silver and was nowhere to be seen in season 8.

I'm actually kind of dissapointed that Clara never ran into the Cybermen again. Would have been a neat kick in the teeth for her.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah the BBC is launching its own streaming platform very soon. There's adverts on the Tube for it.

CBS has taken all the Star Trek series off Netflix (aside from in the US, although I'd wager that won't be there too much longer) to put on its own steaming service, along with the new series coming in 2017.

The downside of all this is that with everyone wanting their slice of the streaming pie, the consumer isn't going to be willing to pony up for each individual service, but would rather have it all in one place, which is what made Netflix so popular. They're just going to bring about more piracy and lose money because they'd rather put their content in their own little forts rather than share it around and let everyone access it.

They all laughed when I was stockpiling DVDs! They said I was mad! WELL, WHO'S MAD NOW?!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rights issues can't take away physical media. That's why I bought Gamera vs. MST3K while I could.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
plus the doctor who dvds generally have some pretty good special features which you don't get elsewhere

Weren't netflix using unrestored versions for some reason? I can remember going to watch the Aztecs on it a wee while back and they certainly were using a version that doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the DVD versions

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This is a shame, I just managed to finish out season 7 before Modern Who was removed from Netflix and Hulu. I'm glad I managed to see The Day of the Doctor before that happened, but I was really looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi's Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I would love streaming services to have dvd extras.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

plus the doctor who dvds generally have some pretty good special features which you don't get elsewhere

The commentaries alone make the Classic Who DVDs worth every penny and its disappointing that the New Who DVDs/Blu-rays have so few in comparison (although season 5 has video commentaries which are worth it because Beth Willis :swoon: )

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the DVD releases, they're one of the few I buy where I actually bother to make use of the special features/commentary.

The commentaries in particular are usually a lot of fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stabbatical posted:

Those're some great stories, where did he tell them?

Doctor Who Magazine

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Nick Briggs told a story about when it came to Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel, he and RTD had decided on the voice to use. So when they were filming (since Briggs does the voices live), director Graeme Harper came up to him and told him no, he wants the Cybermen to sound more like Darth Vader. Briggs began to fret, because he didn't want to upset the director, but that's not what he and RTD had agreed on. He conveyed this to David Tennant, who said "Call Russell". Briggs didn't want to do this, didn't want to cause waves, but David stressed "Call Russell". So Briggs did, explained the situation, and minutes after he got off the phone, Harper came up to him and told him they were going to do the voices they way Briggs wanted to.

This is why having superfans showrunning and starring in the show is loving awesome. :dance:

You can drat well bet this sort of issue would be handled similarly on Capaldi/Moffat's watch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IceAgeComing posted:

Weren't netflix using unrestored versions for some reason? I can remember going to watch the Aztecs on it a wee while back and they certainly were using a version that doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the DVD versions

At one point some years ago Netflix had the original Transformers cartoon up and upon watching it I discovered they were using the same version that had been available on P2P services for years right down to captured VHS distortions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: What if Hansel & Gretel were biologically engineered super-soldiers?

Long Synopsis: In 19th Century Germany, the 8th Doctor and Lucie stumble upon the aftermath of a savage attack by the so-called "Beast of Orlok". Disguising themselves as officials to avoid being arrested for the crime, they uncover old secrets, an invincible foe and, most fearsome of all, a trumped up bureaucrat.

What's Good:
  • The setting. So much of Doctor Who is set either on some fantastic alien world (a quarry) or modern day London (Cardiff on TV, Berkshire for Audio), and most historicals end up being set in England as well. So it's fun to see the Doctor land not only in the past, but in a completely different country. Sure it's Europe, but the Black Forest of Germany is a neat setting ripe with potential for good, dark stories and it's nice to have something a little different. The setting is used to set the mood well - the fearful and superstitious villagers, the mysterious nobles, the incompetent and malicious officials getting a little too big for their britches etc. This is a horror/detective story, and 19th Century rural Germany is a pretty good location for that type of thing.

• The backstory. Forgetting the actual plot itself, there's a neat backstory used as background that in many ways tells a more compelling story than what we get served up as the main. Brutal deaths once plagued the countryside, with the Baron vowing to do his duty to track down and kill the monstrous "Beast of Orlok" attacking the people under HIS protection. One night twenty years ago, the Baron claims to have encountered the Beast and killed it, suffering severe injuries himself in the process. Leaving his own estates to live a reclusive life, the Baron is hauled back in the "present" day by a suspicious plenipotentiary who finds the whole thing just a bit too convenient.... until the Beast makes a sudden reappearance and kills all but the Baron, sparing his life for reasons unknown. All this happens in roughly the first few minutes of the audio and is set-up for a pretty drat interesting concept. Sadly the execution isn't quite there, with the story moving on a pretty different tangent. But even then, there are the odd reference to events from 20 years ago, all which (perhaps unfortunately) overshadow the main plot and feel like they're be more interesting to have pursued.

• The Doctor/Lucie chemistry. After a couple of stories awkwardly finding their groove again (character wise, the actors get along famously I'm sure), by this point the Doctor and Lucie seem to have settled back into the groove of the strong Doctor/Companion dynamic established through seasons 1 & 2 of The 8th Doctor Adventures. Whether it's their good-natured argument about Lucie wanting to learn to drive the TARDIS (which gets a call-back by the end of the story), her heroics and the Doctor's appreciation of them, or just the general air of ease they seem to have around each other, the bond feels firmly back in place. This makes even the most basic scenes featuring the two work, because it feels like listening to two genuine friends shooting the poo poo regardless of what insanity is actually going on around them. In season 1, Lucie came across as a bit forced in how quickly she supposedly became chummy with the Doctor. After more than two seasons together though the camaraderie feels natural, and having gone through two episodes of perhaps forced distance between the two, the return to the status quo is a breath of fresh air.

What's Not:

• The editing. This is the big one for me, in general everything flows smoothly except for one section in the first part that is so terribly put together that I actually ended up stopping the player and going back to make sure I hadn't accidentally set things to shuffle. I hadn't, so I made sure there wasn't a file missing. There wasn't, so I actually went and checked the original download to see if maybe I'd extracted a corrupt file and was missing part of the story. I wasn't. What happens in the story technically makes sense because you can piece together what has happened off-screen, but it's done in such a clumsy and strange way that it feels completely unnatural. The Doctor and Lucie have convinced a bumbling official that they are not only officials too but outrank him, and make plans to investigate the attack on the Baron. The Doctor sends Lucie and a helpful student named Hans to retrieve the TARDIS. Suddenly there is a cut to another scene with a mysterious figure and his "wolf" finding what is obviously (but never stated to be) the TARDIS. Suddenly we cut to another scene where the bumbling official has brought a piece of evidence to an inn to leave with the Doctor. The innkeeper, Hans' mother, shares some brusque words with him, then after sending him off declares to her daughter that the Doctor's "cabinet" has clearly gone missing. The only thing is.... she hasn't met the Doctor, she hasn't met Lucie yet either, and Hans hasn't been to visit because they were going to the TARDIS first before going to visit her! Except Hans and Lucie ARE there, not at all surprised to hear the TARDIS is missing, and then Hans' mother insists he stick around while she goes to meet the Doctor. And when they do meet, the two haven't actually met before! The obvious intent based on dialogue and scene-order is that we're meant to figure out that Lucie and Hans went into the forest but found the TARDIS missing, then went to the inn where Hans introduced Lucie to his mother and sister and explained a little of what was going on with the Doctor's investigation. But none of this stuff happens in the audio, it has to be pieced together by its absence, confusing everything. Unless somehow I did get a corrupted download, I can only assume either they didn't have the time to record these scenes or that it all made sense to them in the script. Maybe it even makes sense to other listeners, but to me it was a very confusing section of the audio that threw off the flow of everything else.

• Sci-fi over historical. In the "What's Good" section I mentioned how much I enjoyed the backstory. Unfortunately that takes a backseat, as the historical (if suggested supernatural) nature of the story quickly becomes a sci-fi piece. This problem has plagued the TV series too, it seems no such thing as a straight historical can exist any more, there always has to be some sci-fi element or alien monster (arguably The Crimson Horror technically doesn't do this, but even then it is the exception). The interesting setting of the Black Forest in Germany, the mysterious Beast, the injured Baron simultaneously suspected of being behind the Beast as well as being its vanquisher etc.... all that stuff gets mostly ignored for a rather unremarkable sci-fi piece about bio-engineered super-soldiers, some war-like race of aliens I don't think have ever been mentioned before or since, and inter-galactic law/criminals. Don't get me wrong, a story like that can (and has been) exciting to listen to, but for me this time it felt like it was getting in the way of a more interesting idea. There's a section where the Doctor finds himself in a secret part of the Baron's estates, where the very Sci-Fi antagonist casually offers an explanation for what is to be found there. That reference is more compelling/interesting to me than the main plot, but it is quickly glossed over till a little later when Hans' mother fills in a little more of the backstory... again a more interesting story that is there only as background detail for the less exciting main story.

• The rushed ending. With the antagonist defeated, new allies made, and the Doctor and Lucie's bond restored it looks like everything is on its way to being wrapped up. Then suddenly a hanging plot-thread rears its ugly head again and in remarkable short order wipes out a couple of key characters, leading to a very rushed conclusion that does - to its credit - at least callback to the Doctor and Lucie's earlier conversation about the danger of her not knowing how to pilot the TARDIS. But even with that concluded, it leaves everything rather messy because now there isn't much that the characters left behind can do with the new information they've been given. Everything gets played with a light air, including Lucie accidentally creating a Black Forest Gateau about a century too early, but the ramifications of what has been revealed/what has happened would be pretty spectacular - but none of that gets bothered with, everything just seems to be kind of swept under the rug as the Doctor and Lucie leave... albeit in a way that is fun for the listener to hear them enjoying each other's company so comfortably again.

Final Thoughts:

The Beast of Orlok is a sci-fi story getting in the way of a fun Gothic-Horror Detective period piece. Trying to have its Black Forest Gateau and eat it too, it mixes life-changing revelations with casual jokes; brutal evisceration with a shrug; then rushes through an ending while discarding supporting characters with barely a backward look. Fun to listen to for the interactions between the Doctor and Lucie, or the smooth way the Doctor tears an pompous official down a peg or two, the biggest hamper to the story is a peculiar piece of continuity where it feels like entire scenes have been completely skipped over - whether in the editing process or the actual script itself who knows. It doesn't flow smoothly, in any case, and felt to me like I was missing out on something even if intellectually it was straightforward enough to piece together what was intended to have taken place. One for completionists perhaps, apart from seeing the Doctor and Lucie fall back into casual, comfortable familiarity with each other this story doesn't have much else to offer, beyond the thought of what might have been if they'd taken a slightly different tack.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

I am not a fan of Modern (Modern) Cybermen design because they just look like Ironman clones to me. They also can act like Iron Man clones so you know.

Same. Though of the Iron-man Cybermen I prefer their current slightly more rounded look, than the angular look they had in the early reboot seasons.

I think they could do a lot more with the Cybermen if they dropped the whole Iron-man thing, and their big clomping boots. Make them quieter, make them more static - really emphasize the differences between them and the Daleks.
Daleks are loud, noisy, twitchy, hate-fuelled squids (and we love them for it); the Cybermen should be cold, and still and quiet.

Also not having terrible stories would probably help. :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Same. Though of the Iron-man Cybermen I prefer their current slightly more rounded look, than the angular look they had in the early reboot seasons.

I preferred the angular look. I like how the face design was a stylized skull. Plus the suits made them seem bigger than than they actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You guys are just reminding me that I need to watch the Tenth Planet DVD BSam gave me so I can start on how the clOth CYYYbermen were suupEEErior. :geno:

• Locked thread