Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Space Pirates only has one episode surviving, how would you know if it's middling?

Pros: It has Josef Stalin in it
Cons: It has Josef Stalin in it

Seems fairly balanced to me

Jerusalem posted:

What I love about English is that every so often you see a combination of words that have never been put together in that order before. Like the post I just quoted.

I liked the Target novelisation of it when I was young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nightmare of Eden is a 1988 McCoy story ten years early; there are some really good bits, and some really embarrassingly terrible bits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor's utter disgust towards the drug dealer at the end when they try to justify/qualify their actions is the only good bit I can remember, the rest I just recall being aggressively mediocre or appallingly bad - the monsters were the loving worst, even at the time it was made they looked awful (and not in a charming way!)

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Nightmare of Eden itself isn't great, but Lewis Fiander's bizarre Germanic accent is genuinely compelling television.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pinacotheca posted:

Nightmare of Eden itself isn't great, but Lewis Fiander's bizarre Germanic accent is genuinely compelling television.

The Doctor walking in on the two captains arguing and watching as if it's a match at Wimbledon is awesome. And I loved the concept of the Continual Event Transmuter

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's as lightweight as a box of fluffy ducks, but fine if you treat it as a farce on itself. You wouldn't like the show to be like that every year, but once in 50 is fine.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Davros1 posted:

The Doctor walking in on the two captains arguing and watching as if it's a match at Wimbledon is awesome. And I loved the concept of the Continual Event Transmuter

Yeah, it has some good bits in it: the basic idea of two spaceships colliding/fusing into each other as one comes out of hyperspace is neat, David Daker's always good value for money and I do love the cliffhanger where Tom and Lalla escape by leaping into the projector, for example.

I think I like it more than either The Creature from the Pit or The Horns of Nimon, but not quite as much as Destiny of the Daleks.

(I don't actually like Destiny of the Daleks that much either, but who does?)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pinacotheca posted:

Yeah, it has some good bits in it: the basic idea of two spaceships colliding/fusing into each other as one comes out of hyperspace is neat, David Daker's always good value for money and I do love the cliffhanger where Tom and Lalla escape by leaping into the projector, for example.

I think I like it more than either The Creature from the Pit or The Horns of Nimon, but not quite as much as Destiny of the Daleks.

(I don't actually like Destiny of the Daleks that much either, but who does?)

Heh, Destiny was the first episode of Who I watched and it made me a fan.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's also pretty bad, even on its own merits (ie ignoring that the daleks aren't robots)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Nightmare of Eden was my first episode, so I like it for that reason.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

pinacotheca posted:

I loved that story and this exchange in particular.

ROMANA: How many were on your ship?
TRYST: Ah, well, to begin with there was ten, but we lost one.
ROMANA: How?
TRYST: He died.
ROMANA: How did he die?
TRYST: He died!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's also pretty bad, even on its own merits (ie ignoring that the daleks aren't robots)

Destiny is the principal reason I wonder if Terry Nation even watched Genesis, let alone wrote it.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Organza Quiz posted:

My vote for most middling is the pirate episode from season 6.

I was looking down a list of episodes to rewatch recently, and The Curse of the Black Spot is the only one I can't even remember anything from. Like there's a pirate ship, Kovarian showing up in a window being all ooooOOOOooooOOOO spooky, something something aliens, and that's it. I just thought "eh" when I read the name, wasn't even curious.

42 at least had a few cool premises that kept it trundling along.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 30, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: The Doctor gets it wrong, Tamsin gets to act, and the last line changes everything.

Long Synopsis: In the year 1006, the Doctor and Tamsin find themselves in the middle of the mystery of the disappearance of the Book of Kells, and everything is most definitely not what it seems.

What's Good:
  • The theme of Deception. This has been a running thing throughout the season so far, and this episode continues that theme. Lucie discovered the deception regarding her Auntie Pam, the Doctor played into the role of the time traveler seeking a new companion through a want ad, the applicants all lied about who they are, the prosecutor lied about their part in the great genocide etc. In this story, everybody is lying or misleading or covering something up - Tamsin "acts" and takes on the role of a visiting nun, Lucianus and the Abbot are lying about the nature of their relationship, Olaf and the Librarian present the impression of being conspiratorial thieves, even the value of the very real Book of Kells is misrepresented. Slowly, over the course of the story each of these deceptions is peeled away, as we learn more and more about what is going on, who is really on whose side, who is to blame for various crimes or affronts. But then of course the issue is resolved via another deception, and even that isn't the end of things when the final line of the story reveals one final deception that completely changes the context of EVERYTHING in the story. Suddenly the actions and reactions of one character in particular make perfect sense. It completely changes up how I viewed them, how they acted, suddenly inappropriate lines make perfect sense, what I felt was poor characterization just clicks. It's an amazing change-up just from one line and it turns what was a good story into a pretty drat great one.

• Tamsin. After not really having a grasp on exactly who her character is supposed to be, it's ironically when she pretends to be somebody else that she really comes into her own. Abandoned at the door of a monastery in 1006 by the Doctor with nothing but a casual comment of,"Improvise!" to go with, Tamsin jumps right into the mix with a nervous but earnest performance as she not only tries to take on the role of a visiting nun but also figure out exactly what she can say without giving away future knowledge. Her careful tiptoeing mixing with her enthusiastic pursuit of leads when she thinks she is getting close to a subject are extremely endearing. It's her outburst and seemingly impetuous move at the end of the story which really does it though, as she proves to be more onto things than the Doctor gives her credit for, outsmarting everybody with a carefully played deception of her own. Even though the stories for this season were written out of order, it does feel like we've reached a point where Tamsin is finally an established character.

• The origin of the bad guy's name. When the Doctor exposes the meaning behind the bad guy's name.... :xd:

What's Not:

• Lucianus. Even allowing for some of the revelations that come throughout the story, Lucianus is too anachronistic a character, too blase about what is going on, utterly inappropriate when it comes to the things he says and does. He stands out like dog's balls, and he's a frustrating and aggravating character. Even allowing for the (pretty goddamn amazing) final line reveal that throws it all into context, it only makes the character understandable on a second listen, and doesn't change the frustration of a first listen-through.

• Continuity-heavy. Sure it doesn't bother me at all (In fact I like it!) and probably not the majority of Big Finish listeners who are well-versed in Doctor Who's past, but this story relies a LOT on references to old (very old!) episodes of Doctor Who, including one almost completely missing serial. Still though, the reveals are fun, particularly in how the Doctor responds/deals with them (more than once, as he botches it at least a couple of times!), and it is certainly a nice change of pace to bring back an old (and notable) character who is NOT one of the usual suspects of recurring characters (as fun as those are). But I can see it being easy for a new listener to be completely confused as to who this person is, and the Doctor's detailed explanation of their past encounters feels more like an exposition dump than a natural piece of dialogue.

• Wasted cast. There are a couple of high profile names in the supporting cast, and though one is used very well, the other is there purely as a red herring and it is a bit of a waste. At least his voice is liquid butter :swoon:

Final Thoughts:

The Book of Kells can be a frustrating story, albeit a very funny one. It's continuity-heavy, features some head-scratching characters and dialogue (on a first listen anyway), and wastes a tremendous supporting castmember (and making great use of another).... butttttttt, holy crap that final line. Getting to the end of it, I thought this was a fun audio and a nice building of Tamsin's character.... but then that final line. It's incredible, suddenly throwing everything into a new context, changing my perception of everything that happened up to that point in the story AND the season. It's a game-changer, potentially setting an entirely new direction/angle for the season to continue on - suddenly the question isn't so much "what big universe ending threat are they building up to this time?" as it is the far more interesting,"What the hell is going on with character <x>?" Written by Barnaby Edwards whose work is usually solid if unspectacular, this is the best story of the season so far.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 1, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I thought that season of 8DAs was really solid. And yeah, those supporting actors are great but honestly you could give me any amount of those two and I'd be disappointed there wasn't more of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DoctorWhat you really need to report to the Homestuck thread

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I got kicked out of my aunt's house two weeks ago and only today got a place.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

No, no man

This is a good thing that will make you laugh

Also sorry to hear about that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

What happened?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the government are hinting at some changes they might propose to the BBC charter that might effect Doctor Who - basically amending the charter so that the BBC have to "take account" of the commercial stations when scheduling which might effectively lead to them not putting popular programmes on on Saturday evenings. The arguing over scheduling thing isn't the worst part about this with the iplayer and similar things making traditional TV scheduling increasingly obsolete; its just another example of Tory meddling in the running of what is supposed to be an independent public broadcaster and it could one day lead to them trying to limit the programmes that the BBC are allowed to make.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just leave the BBC alone goddammit :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

What happened?

my mom, my dog, and I were used as a scapegoat for my aunt's terrible parenting of my 15-year-old cousin

we were living in my aunt's house

we aren't anymore

the new place is nice tho but the past two weeks have been kind of... liminal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

my mom, my dog, and I were used as a scapegoat for my aunt's terrible parenting of my 15-year-old cousin

we were living in my aunt's house

we aren't anymore

the new place is nice tho but the past two weeks have been kind of... liminal

That sucks man, hope it's all past you!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That sucks man, hope it's all past you!

I'm feeling swell actually, it's nice to have a real home again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm feeling swell actually, it's nice to have a real home again.

I'm just going to leave this here

ThaumPenguin posted:

Do you ever feel like you're actively making a poor decision, and then just keep on doing it?

Okay bye and I'm glad you're out of that lovely situation and hope things get better from here

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sorry to hear about that, DWhat. Watch some 6 dvds and pop Jubilee into your portable cd player. Kids still have those, right?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry to hear about that, DWhat. Watch some 6 dvds and pop Jubilee into your portable cd player. Kids still have those, right?

I think they use something called an Empty Three nowadays.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Someone in my office just asked me “What’s Doctor Who?”

You never realize just how WEIRD the show’s premise is until you try to actually explain it to someone.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's a pseudo-anthology science fiction programme where the title character is wherever the story the takes place because he can travel through time and space

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who could be a part of RiffTrax' cinema shows this year, if BBC Insiders isn't just making things up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

Doctor Who could be a part of RiffTrax' cinema shows this year, if BBC Insiders isn't just making things up.

The Peter Cushing films or are they doing what they did with Lost and riffing on episodes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Chibnall might be bringing in a writers' room for his tenure.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

The Peter Cushing films or are they doing what they did with Lost and riffing on episodes?

Episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That might be a good approach, though I thought the show already had a writers' room. I have obviously misunderstood exactly what it entails. Can anyone enlighten me?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh please mean he's not going to do most of the writing pretty please

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

That might be a good approach, though I thought the show already had a writers' room. I have obviously misunderstood exactly what it entails. Can anyone enlighten me?

More the American style writers room, where there are several writers who all contribute to stories. One will come up with the idea and then others throw in ideas and help out. Writing becomes a more communal affair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In addition to what others have said, it would also entail any number of writers being kept on as full-time staff, as opposed to the freelance / work-for-hire arrangements that the program has traditionally operated with. It's certainly not a bad idea, but it may be difficult given the financial cuts that have been implemented by the BBC over the last few years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's an interesting take on things, who knows how it will work on a show like Who - I imagine it will probably lead to a leveling out of the quality which will mean we probably won't get the terrible lows but also maybe we risk losing the amazing highs.

No way of knowing until it happens, of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see. I was under the impression that they already had something like that, but I'm not sure why I thought that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. I was under the impression that they already had something like that, but I'm not sure why I thought that.

Do you read Toxx's thread? He had a big long review mostly about the mechanics of writing a TV programme... within the American writing room idiom, which made the whole thing completely irrelevant.

• Locked thread