Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

What's "Welcome to Night Vale?"

Think of it as the weekly community newspaper from a town stuck in The Twilight Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

And More posted:

:aaaaa: A big Paul McGann sale? I can probably afford a few more audio books. I figure The Faith Stealer and The Silver Turk would be good picks. I haven't listened to anything past Scherzo. What do you folks suggest? Maybe The Natural History of Fear to keep some semblance of chronology?

The Natural History of Fear is a great story, but it’s not quite a Who story.

For the Divergent Universe, I’d go with The Natural History of Fear, Faith Stealer, The Last, and The Next Life and just read the synopsis of the rest. Caerdroia is worth a look if you have some extra cash, but avoid The Creed of the Kromon and The Twilight Kingdom. Seriously, avoid The Creed of the Kromon as all costs.

Past that, Time Works, Memory Lane, and The Girl Who Never Was. Absolution is a great Eight/Charley story, you just have to deal with all of the C’rizz stuff and the wet fart of an ending to his story arc.

The two Doom Coalition sets are worth the price as well. The Eleven (Mark Bonnar) is a FANTASTIC villain.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dabir posted:

I don't see it.

I'll just quote myself from the Eva thread.

quote:

UFO was Gerry Anderson's first live action project. After years of doing Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Supercar, and the other marionettevision projects, he finally graduated to doing more adult oriented live action programs. It ran for 1 season in 1970, and was followed up by the much more popular Space: 1999 As you can see from the opening sequence, many of the NERV costume designs were based on Sylvia Anderson's UFO ones. Indeed, Evangelion's opening itself pays homage to UFO with all the various flashing words throughout.

The similarities don't end there, either: the Earth is being invaded by aliens about which we know nothing, seem to want nothing, and are almost impossible to communicate with. We never see more than two of them at a time. They look like green skinned humans, and perhaps their planet needs to harvest our organs to keep themselves alive? They have no name, and are simply referred to as "The Aliens" for the show's entire run. They are opposed by a shadowy organization that hides in bases underground, on the moon, under the sea, and throughout the air. SHADO stands as the only life of defense against this mysterious and strange invasion force.

The head of this top secret organization, Colonel Ed Straker, routinely makes hard decisions that leave him emotionally drained and shut off from others. He has an estranged son he lets die because stopping the aliens is more important. He has a tense relationship with his ex-wife that goes more and more downhill as he sacrifices more and more for his job. The few friends he does have are all fellow officers and soldiers, and as a result they tend to die unexpectedly. He is driven, manipulative, cold, and willing to sacrifice anything to drive off the Aliens. Sound like anyone else we know?

Viewed through a certain lens, Evangelion works quite well as a spiritual sequel to UFO, asking what might have happened if Straker's son hadn't died, and what their relationship might have been like years and years later.

Anno's first animation group was named SHADO, if that gives you any indication to the degree of his fandom.

The show is available on DVD, and is totally worth your time. It's certainly a product of its time, but the miniatures work is excellent, the writing and acting fantastic, and the production values as good as they could be back then. If you want to know where Eva came from, this is one of the shows to watch.

UFO is hands down one of my favorite shows of all time. It's one of those odd things where I sorta wish there was more of it, but what exists is enough, because there aren't any truly abysmal episodes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

I've gotten tired of the pat endings that come after the weather. "Everything was fine after all. We all survived it, and we were all changed for the better. These people, our friends, family, loved ones, are all fine, and we didn't need to be afraid of it." etc etc.

I'm at the point where they're acknowledging this in-universe and starting to go in different directions, which is nice (A Story About Them was especially successful and creepy). I tend to take long breaks, and even then never listen to two in a row - the pattern seems less obvious that way. But ultimately, I'm listening for the prose, tone, and music rather than plot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's now a Big Finish iOS app. No idea how well it works; I'm just now downloading it.

EDIT: Logging in, it recognized all my purchased stuff with no problem; that's a point in its favor. No hoops to jump through getting it to recognize past purchases or anything.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 12, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gerry Anderson's stuff is really big in Japan. A couple of sci-fi anime series drew inspiration from things like Thunderbirds (I know there's a notable one that's openly stated as much, but I can't remember what it was at the moment), and Patlabor parodies Captain Scarlet for an episode.

Wiki tells me the anime you're thinking of was called Scientific Rescue Team TechnoVoyager. But you probably remember it the way I saw it, when they dubbed it into Thunderbirds 2086.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

There's now a Big Finish iOS app. No idea how well it works; I'm just now downloading it.

EDIT: Logging in, it recognized all my purchased stuff with no problem; that's a point in its favor. No hoops to jump through getting it to recognize past purchases or anything.

I was thrilled the other day to find out for the first time in 2-4 phone models I can successfully download and extract a BF audio on my new Droid. :allears:

Was such a hassle before having to download on my pc, extract, connect the phone to the pc, transfer. Much better this way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Short Synopsis: Somebody's cranky when they wake up, Tamsin meets the Ex, and there's a whole lot of meddling going on.

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Tamsin land on a museum on Deimos devoted to the extinct Ice Warriors.... who aren't quite as extinct as first thought. The want their planet back and mean to kill every human on it in order to get it, and the Doctor finds himself trapped between his desire to keep everybody alive while preventing two sides intent on wiping the other out. Some hard questions get asked, various people switch sides, and a whole lot of people die.

What's Good:
  • David Warner's in it. Nuff said, really.

• No easy answers. These two stories bring up a lot of hard questions and quite wisely don't try to answer them - the answers depend mostly on context in any case, and each character's perspectives are understandable and difficult to argue against. Rather than trying to define some "correct" moral viewpoint, instead we see most of the characters arguing their point genuinely, and the one exception to that rule is designed to both be compelling in their arguments to other characters AND abhorrent to the listener who knows the truth about where they are coming from. The unspoken parallels with the Time War are obvious - the Doctor is obsessed with the notion of not taking it upon himself to decide when death is justified, do you let one person die to save 100? 100 to save 1000? 1000 to same 10,000? 100,000 to save a million etc? He gets challenged on this stance from multiple fronts, both acerbically and diplomatically, as others point out that his desire not to set himself above others is achieving nothing but more of the death he is trying to prevent. It also stands in stark contrast to the fact he stands aside and does nothing as another character is left to die because "there is nothing I can do" but then goes above and beyond all reason in order to save the lives of his friends - his high minded ideals come across as hypocritical to some, which in turn allows the villain of the piece to paint him in a far more negative light than he deserves.

• Interesting supporting characters. Whether it be David Warner's frustrated "expert", Tracy-Ann Oberman's ice-queen administrator, Nicky Henson's well-meaning security guard or even the surprisingly useful "hen-pecked" Harold - each of the supporting characters brings something to the table. Whether they're foils to the Doctor or Tamsin, or helping move the story along in other ways, or acting as counters to the Doctor's own philisophy, they are engaging and interesting additions to the cast that don't feel like they're there just to make up the numbers (unfortunately, the pilot character falls into that latter category). And of course Tamsin continues to impress and surprise as Niky Wardley grows into the role, one which has been written with a very clear purpose in mind that it executes extremely well. Her opposite number is also extremely good, and the contrast between the two both individually and when they get scenes together works really well. For the most part, every character is there to add to the story and make a point.

• The "switch". Deception has been a recurring theme this season, and this continues in these stories both in terms of how some characters are lied too (or rather, have the truth omitted from them) and how the listener gets thrown for a loop where what we thought was set to be the status quo gets turned on its ear. We're in a VERY different situation at the end of these two stories than we were at the start, with one HELL of a cliffhanger ending to the first story followed by a pretty huge development at the halfway point which then resolves itself with a major upsetting of the status quo from one character in particular. It plays into prior events of the season without feeling like it is necessary to the quality of the story in its own right, everything just seems to flow naturally and though prior experience helps, there is enough provided within the context of the two episodes that a fresh viewer (and why would they be listening to this as their FIRST story anyway?) would be able to understand.

• The way everything comes together. There are multiple strands in this story - the Ice Warriors' return, the escape of the tourists, the Doctor's refusal to kill, the presence of the nemesis, the return of an old character, the philosophical debate over the morality of the Doctor's actions, the creation and mothballing of the re-ionizer device (might as well call it Chekov's gun), the disarming of the explosives. All of them come together in the end, and the sheer pleasure in the Doctor's voice as he lays out what has happened and just how neatly it ties into what he always knew HAD to happen is infectious. After two hours of having the Doctor's morality (justifiably) called into question and accusations that his attempts to preserve the integrity of the Web of Time are just an excuse to justify letting people die as a result of his INACTION.... we see that his actions actually improved the situation. He's not always right, and bad things do happen along the way, but he does actually have a plan and a purpose.

• The continuity. Playing into both Big Finish and TV continuity, the story uses references to strengthen the framework of the narrative rather than standing in place of an actual stable foundation for the story. The obvious references to The Judgement of Isskar and The Seeds of Death are there, but there's other unspoken stuff going on too. The Doctor does explicitly (and not for the first time) mention that he looks back on his prior incarnation with some distaste, feeling like he let himself become too much of a puppetmaster/chess player who allowed himself to overlook the value of life. But there's also the unstated idea that the Doctor feels some guilt about how he acted towards the Ice Warriors back in Seeds of Death, where he actively and personally kills Ice Warriors frequently. Now he finds himself on Deimos with Ice Warriors woken too early, and while he wants to save the humans living on Mars he doesn't want it to be at the expense of the Ice Warriors' lives as it was way back when.

What's Not:

• The inconsistent tone. The author, Jonathan Morris, is known for his lighthearted work on Who and this story starts off very much in this tone. This is deliberate, as he wanted to upset the listener's expectations by getting them comfortable before delving into darker and more complex territory. A laudable goal perhaps, but unlike say The Crimson Horror where the reverse occurred to great effect, here the opening comedic touches just kind of taint the attempts to get serious later on. Particularly guilty are his double-act of Harold and Margaret, a middle-class couple on holiday on Deimos where Margaret coos over the Ice Warrior exhibits while Harold the hen-pecked husband suffers along like something out of Last of the Summer Wine. But then as things ramp up in seriousness, Harold shows an unexpected backbone and talent, getting out the news that the Ice Warriors are present, leading the hostages to safety etc. Except the comedic establishment was too strong, it becomes too difficult to take him seriously, and when he has a quiet dignified moment later in the story where he approaches the Doctor to tell him that he disagrees with his stance.... well, it's still the henpecked, exasparated"....mmmmyes dear.... :smith:" voice that is expressing these points. Similarly, while David Warner cracking a joke at a serious moment in the story is genuinely funny, it doesn't really fit in with the character OR the situation. The security guard goes from a well-meaning but not particularly bright guy who just does as he is told and isn't particularly imaginative.... to making a heroic sacrifice while asking Tamsin to deliver some monumentally devastating news to a loved one. The Doctor's nemesis cackles with glee as their plan unfolds, making jokes (including scooby-doo references!) that sit a little uncomfortably alongside the serious stakes... though to be fair this is kind of the point with that character. The idea was to go from humor to a slowly growing realization of how serious everything was, but instead of flowing naturally it feels unbalanced.

• The abrupt deaths. There are many deaths in this story, and this is intentional due to the nature of the philosophical debate over the Doctor's actions (or inaction) and whether his intentions are laudable, hypocritical, or even untenable. But the deaths are oddly handled, either given undue attention or no attention at all. There is a (probably unintentional) callback to the awful Delta and the Bannermen that is handled so poorly and so quickly overlooked that I actually figured it was going to be revealed as a fakeout and the people killed would be revealed to have been saved.... but nope. It's unsettling and a bizarre narrative choice - if it meant anything it needed more attention drawn to it, if it meant nothing then that's even worse. Not only does the Administrator, Harold AND Margaret die, but so do 600 innocent tourists and personnel and it's given all the same gravitas and attention that those poor bastards in the tour bus got in Delta and the Bannermen.... none.

Final Thoughts:

A stealth two-parter, Deimos and Resurrection of Mars starts off feeling like a throwaway comedic piece and not only quickly becomes darker, but becomes an enormously important part of the wider season long story being told (to far greater effect than previous season arcs). Doing some very interesting things with the Doctor and the character who ends up standing as his opposite number, the clash between his companion and HER opposite number is actually even more compelling. Quite cleverly, the Doctor's nemesis (NOT the Ice Warriors who start off feeling like the villains of the piece) works most effectively in the way he uses other characters as proxies to get at the Doctor - making arguments and accusations to others so that the Doctor doesn't get a chance to answer them, leaving the ideas introduced into their heads to percolate and fester. It's difficult to judge this piece as a standalone, both because it ends up being a two-parter AND because of the enormous impact it has on the season going forward, provides new context for what has already been, and massively shifts the status quo around. On the flip side, the deliberately false early comedic tone can't help but drag down the more serious later bits as attempts are made to give gravitas to stereotypical comedy relief - also, while the intention is to make the companion (and thus the viewer) question the Doctor's morality, to do so it takes things a bit too far and ends up repeating one of the gravest sins of the awful Delta and the Bannermen, ironic given the Doctor's complaints in the story about his previous incarnation's attitude. But in the end, it's a really compelling two-parter, and more important than anything else it's got David Warner in it, and it's a great story if only for his,"Well, at least I got it half right v:shobon:v" line.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 13, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is David Warner the new standard for Big Finish quality?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

David Warner doesn't make a bad story good, but he does make it a bad story with David Warner in it, which is better than a bad story by itself!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tracy-Ann Oberman playing an ice-queen administrative type in Doctor Who?! Such bold casting!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Tracy-Ann Oberman playing an ice-queen administrative type in Doctor Who?! Such bold casting!

She's not a particularly great character, but the best part is listening to her in the interviews section going all fangirl over getting to work with David Warner :3:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I avoid reading cast lists for stories solely because I like to be surprised by David Warner being in them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I rarely read the cast lists either, so it was a wonderful surprise for me too!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CobiWann posted:

A bad podcast that tumblr is obsessed with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Toxxupation posted:

A bad podcast that tumblr is obsessed with.

Nah, it's actually pretty great

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The actual answer is somewhere in the middle. I enjoy it, but I also listen to it sparingly and I've only heard the first 30 episodes. I'm not sure I'd call it overrated but the internet definitely makes a big deal of it for some reason. Listen to the first couple episodes, skip The Weather, form your own opinions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

skip The Weather

you mother fuckre

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's not the greatest thing in the Internet or anything...but it's not objectively horrible

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

jivjov posted:

It works fine. Only problem is that I have too little room on my Ipads hard drive, so I would have to constantly download new stuff to listen and delete older ones to make room.

These audios aren't that small!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

you mother fuckre

I've liked exactly 2/30 of the weather segments I've heard so :shrug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

jivjov posted:

Nah, it's actually pretty great

Night Vale is like someone took a A Prairie Home Companion and added Slenderman to it. And if that sounds appealing to you, well then oh boy how's it feel to have just graduated high school. In 2008.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It isn't nearly that bad and you know it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the prose is really overwritten and trying-too-hard at vagueness in a way that defeats the buy-in of its central premise (being a news report).

Chiefly though the main narrators delivery is the most Garrison Keillor-assed poo poo ever invented. I mean, there's a reason APHC is often mocked and treated as audial sleep aid, the man's totally nonchalant delivery of the content makes the show feel like it's wasting my time and yours while listening to a man make weird Midwestern non-jokes. With night vale it's even worse because the story's often about stuff like kids disappearing and poo poo, the totally bored delivery isn't disconcerting, it's just plain unbelievable.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's literally just a classic-style radio drama framed as a news cast based on largely Lovecraftian horror, albeit with a bit of a comedic tone. It's distributed as a podcast, but at heart it's no different from weekly radio shows. A segment of the internet is unduly obsessed with it, but it's definitely not bad. I think it's co-written by the same guy who wrote Instructions for a Help and That Insidious Beast on the SA main page however long ago.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jsor posted:

It's literally just a classic-style radio drama framed as a news cast based on largely Lovecraftian horror, albeit with a bit of a comedic tone. It's distributed as a podcast, but at heart it's no different from weekly radio shows. A segment of the internet is unduly obsessed with it, but it's definitely not bad. I think it's co-written by the same guy who wrote Instructions for a Help and That Insidious Beast on the SA main page however long ago.

Zack Parsons wrote a couple of episodes but I don't think he's involved week to week.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

The Natural History of Fear is a great story, but it's not quite a Who story.

For the Divergent Universe, I'd go with The Natural History of Fear, Faith Stealer, The Last, and The Next Life and just read the synopsis of the rest. Caerdroia is worth a look if you have some extra cash, but avoid The Creed of the Kromon and The Twilight Kingdom. Seriously, avoid The Creed of the Kromon as all costs.

Past that, Time Works, Memory Lane, and The Girl Who Never Was. Absolution is a great Eight/Charley story, you just have to deal with all of the C’rizz stuff and the wet fart of an ending to his story arc.

The two Doom Coalition sets are worth the price as well. The Eleven (Mark Bonnar) is a FANTASTIC villain.

An episode not being Who-typical is honestly the best argument in favour of any given Doctor Who-related thing.

Thanks for the recommendations! Chronologically it is, then. I'll probably just pick the first four you listed. Paul McGann is pretty great, but I don't want to overdo it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Fil5000 posted:

Zack Parsons wrote a couple of episodes but I don't think he's involved week to week.

Isnt maxnmona involved or did i get confused with someone else?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Little_wh0re posted:

Yeah, he's one of the creators/writers.

Edit: For clarity, maxnmona does Nightvale, Parsons did Instruction for a Help and wrote a couple of episodes of Nightvale.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We need a new Doctor Who Reference Guide that lists everything DW chronologically. The old one stopped updating after the Day of the Doctor, and might also be gone.

e: Still up; it's the splash page that's broken.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 13, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Little_wh0re posted:

Yeah, that's Joseph Fink (I think).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So I have the house all to myself tonight for once, which means I have the television all to myself tonight for once...

The Face of Evil, or binge The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I think you know exactly what the correct answer is, which is why you're asking us.

edit: Honest answer: Give the new thing a shot. Doctor Who isn't running away. (Well, he is, but not efficiently.)

And More fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 13, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

So I have the house all to myself tonight for once, which means I have the television all to myself tonight for once...

Try a Kimmy Schmidt episode first, if you've never watched it before. I watched the 1st ep, about 5 minutes of the 2nd, and haven't been back since.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

And More posted:

I think you know exactly what the correct answer is, which is why you're asking us.

edit: Honest answer: Give the new thing a shot. Doctor Who isn't running away. (Well, he is, but not efficiently.)

The_Doctor posted:

Try a Kimmy Schmidt episode first, if you've never watched it before. I watched the 1st ep, about 5 minutes of the 2nd, and haven't been back since.

Oh, I LOVED the first season. It's just with a tween obsessed with all things Disney sitcom and a wife who grades English papers while watching TV, my viewing time on the big screen is few and far between. I'm still only halfway through the second season of Daredevil and haven't even laid eyes on Jessica Jones, and don't talk to me about getting a chance to play Lego Dimensions.

"See, Cobi! We even got you the Doctor Who level set for your birthday!"

"Awesome! I can't wait to play it!"

"Um...not tonight, dear. It's a new episode of Arrow..."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

And More posted:

An episode not being Who-typical is honestly the best argument in favour of any given Doctor Who-related thing.

Thanks for the recommendations! Chronologically it is, then. I'll probably just pick the first four you listed. Paul McGann is pretty great, but I don't want to overdo it.

Despite its reputation as a standalone, Natural History foreshadows themes and concepts of the next season. It feels more like a part of that era than the stories preceding it.

Just read a sumarry of Kromon for the C'rizz stuff. While drunk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Watch The Face of Evil, or

CobiWann posted:

Jessica Jones

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

And More posted:

On the other hand, Leela. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jessica Jones, then finish Daredevil. Then Face of Evil, the Lego Dimensions Who pack (which is so, so, so much fun, it's unreal), then Schmidt.

Or, you know, do your own thing.

• Locked thread