Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mean this in the best possible way, but the Doctor shutting down his higher brain functions so he can continue to walk and talk for just a little bit longer and execute Donna's plan felt like something directly out of the RTD era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I mean this in the best possible way, but the Doctor shutting down his higher brain functions so he can continue to walk and talk for just a little bit longer and execute Donna's plan felt like something directly out of the RTD era.

RTD did look over these scripts. He may have suggested it!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I like that Big Finish anticipated that this release would get a lot of new listeners and included an hour-long "The Audio Adventures of Doctor Who" file along with the limited edition version.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

RTD did look over these scripts. He may have suggested it!

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear an RTD written 10th Doctor audio.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a big fan of how the technology wasn't in any way bad or evil in the first story, it just.... was. You go in expecting that the pleasant female voice of the new operating system would turn out to be SkyNet or Glados or something but nope, it's just an OS, and the actual danger comes not from the technology but the people who don't understand (and thus fear) it.

That's something that Big Finish succeeds at more often than the genre in general - they're rather fond of vocal interfaces for some reason...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Calibris. The spaceport planet where anything goes. Where anyone who doesn't want to be found can be lost, and where everything has its price. Where betentacled gangster Gully holds sway at the smugglers’ tavern, Vagabond’s Reach.

The alien Vacintians are trying to impose some order on the chaos. Soon the Doctor and Donna discover why. An illegal weapon is loose on the streets. A weapon that destroys lives… Slowly and agonisingly.

The Time Reaver.

Time Reaver takes place on Calibris, a planet where the entire culture revolves around transpiration. It's not only an intergalactic transit hub with high-speed trains and worm-holes for transport, (Donna describes it as King's Cross Station on a massive scale) it's also a place where parts for any sort of vehicle can be found, procured, or jury-rigged...even parts for a Type 40 TARDIS. The Doctor drops the TARDIS off for some much needed repairs, but soon discovers that the normally lawless and wild planet is slowly being tamed by the bureaucratic aliens known as the Vacintians. There is an ulterior motive to the Vacintians' presence however. A shipment of weapon was stolen from their home planet, and they are desperately trying to recover them. Once the Doctor discovers the horrible nature of the weapons, he forces himself into the investigation. Whether or not the Vacintians want his help or not, the Doctor will recover the weapons and ensure they don't fall into the wrong hand. Or tentacles.

Jenny T Colgan, writer of The Boundless Sea from the River Song box set, gives us a dark story set on a fantastic alien world. Big Finish's sound team does its best work with Time Reaver, with the noise of a bustling transit hub always hovering in the background, whether it's a concourse or a seedy hole-in-the-wall, allowing the listener to easily picture the hectic and crowded nature of Calibris. There are wormholes, points that instantly take a passenger from Point A to Point B, and then there are “worm-holes,” which the Doctor suggests not eating before taking a trip on. The secondary characters are the denizens one would expect to find on a world such as this – the sleazy crime lord Gully, who has his tentacles in everything, played by veteran BBC and Big Finish actor John Banks. Gully is a fine villain, the kind who's kind until it's time to twist the knife or shoot somebody, and easily loses his cool the moment things don't go his way. Dan Starkey (the Sontaran butler Strax from the television series) has a supporting role as Gully's right-hand man. He does well for the brief period of time he's involved in the story, but I couldn't help but wish he had an expanded part. On the other side, Terry Molloy (aka Davros from the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh Doctor eras as well as numerous Big Finish productions as both Davros and various other characters) is the head of the Vacintians, Rone, who attempts to both stonewall and grudgingly assist the Doctor. His hesitance is traced to the fact that it was his daughter Cora (Sabrina Bartlett from DaVinci's Demons and the Twelfth Doctor episode Robot of Sherwood) is the one who stole the weapons and is trying to sell them. What's great about both performances is that neither of the pair are acting out or spite or evil, but acting out of a hope for something better, Rone to bring his daughter back home and Cora out of youthful naivety. It turns out the Vacintians' home planet is dying, and the race was using the weapons in an attempt to lengthen their final days, while Cora wanted to give the rest of the universe the same experiences.

However, the method of choice is a time modulation device so horrific, any race or civilization that invented it immediately banned it. The Time Reaver is a device that extends the sensation of a moment, making an instant into seconds, seconds into minutes, and minutes into hours. Sounds good on paper. But imagine using the device to ensure the good vibrations of a party and starving to death because the few minutes it would take you to grab a sandwich would be nearly two weeks to your body. Or that by attaching a Time Reaver to a bomb, anyone caught in the explosion would feel the burning of their skin, the air being ripped out of their lungs, and the eternal heat for years before finally dying. It's the type of weapon I wouldn't be surprise the Time Lords or Daleks would have used during the Time War, and the Doctor forcing his way into the investigation makes perfect sense for that conflict's final survivor. Sadly, the race for the Time Reavers boils down to a repetition of “give me the guns,” “I won't give you the guns,” “give me the guns,” “I won't give you the guns,” repeated and acted out over and over again in different variations that takes up a good portion of the story's back end. The method the Doctor uses to get rid of the Time Reavers however is a jaw-dropping moment that reminded me of Heaven Sent and helped kick the story back into gear all the way to the ending. And while Time Reaver (and indeed, all of the stories in this set) are stand-alone stories, this one features two callbacks to the TV series – a character telling Donna Noble that there is something on her back (in this case a bomb), and the Doctor, once everything has settled down, suggesting that the pair's next journey should be to a nice, relaxing library...

This was solid but not particularly memorable for me. Wasn't a bad story by any means and had some fun stuff in it (Donna telling Cora what Donna's father's final words were was fantastic) but kinda felt more like a generic Big Finish style audio. I found the main villain pretty aggravating to listen to, but I liked the concept of the Time Reaver and how their primary use as weaponry was hijacked in favor of being used as a drug. Also the Doctor's disappointment at learning the Head Customs Office had changed from a rollicking tavern of ne'er-do-wells to a generic coffee shop was a good laugh.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Solid but memorable” pretty much describes the story. There was some cool moments and cool concepts, but the Time Reaver weapon is what I’ll end up remembering.

I think Big Finish just went with the safe play for these stories. It’s easier to hook new fans with stories that aren’t too out there or weird (Scherzo…), so they got a bunch of veteran actors and reliable authors and went for the Planet of the Ood/The Doctor’s Daughter style of story instead of a “swing for the fences” ala Midnight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That makes sense, and I think you'll get another round of the same calibre before they attempt to do something interesting with them. Maybe they'll do another River Song story at some point now that they can use her.

EDIT: Oh god, they could have more Donna & Martha adventures.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 17, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I hope they bring back Wilfred, before it's too late.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Sure, a second Donna Noble wedding. What could possibly go wrong?

Tonally this was a bit of a mess, the comedy and the horror don't quite fit together as they should. But it's carried by the sheer charisma of the two leads, and I quite liked how deliberately it separates the two characters' stories and makes it clear that each is important in their own way in regards to saving the day. And Donna's strategy to defeat Death is..... :vince:

My favorite scene is probably when the Doctor barrels in and goes on a tear about how he can't stand to say goodbye to a companion but he knows it has to be done and so he's gonna do the noble thing and blah blah blah all while ignoring Donna yelling,"I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE SHUT UP AND LISTEN!" at him :allears: - a very near second is right at the end when the Doctor and Donna are chatting away and in the background you can hear the mama's boy Prince screaming,"DONNNNNNA! COME BACK DONNNNNAAAAAA! :gonk:"

I was so looking forward to 10th Doctor Big Finish and I'm very satisfied with this first volume, especially because it is a FIRST volume. Can't wait to hear more.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hey guys, long time no forum thread.

I've checked out of the who thread for a long time, but heard some news on a podcast about kevin smith bringing "Buckaroo Banzai", a cult hit i never saw back to TV.

I did some quick googling and:

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=buckaroo+banzai

Why did nobody ever comment on how much the lead of this show looks like matt smiths 11th doctor? Its possible only i am seeing this but he's even got the chin and hair.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Looks more like David Byrne to me.

Well, and Robocop, but of course he does.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there a particular order to listen to The Diary of River Song vol1 and Doom Coalition 2 in? Both have River and the Eighth and I don't want to muddy the timelines.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mortanis posted:

Is there a particular order to listen to The Diary of River Song vol1 and Doom Coalition 2 in? Both have River and the Eighth and I don't want to muddy the timelines.

Nope; none of the 8/River stuff matters in terms of continuity.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Holy poo poo! Got my Tenth Doctor CDs! That's the quickest I've ever gotten something from BF!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hey guys, long time no forum thread.

I've checked out of the who thread for a long time, but heard some news on a podcast about kevin smith bringing "Buckaroo Banzai", a cult hit i never saw back to TV.

I did some quick googling and:

http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=buckaroo+banzai

Why did nobody ever comment on how much the lead of this show looks like matt smiths 11th doctor? Its possible only i am seeing this but he's even got the chin and hair.

Buckaroo Banzai does have a certain 'American Doctor Who' vibe to it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Let the speculation begin! Do we dare to desperately dream?

https://twitter.com/Team_Barrowman/status/733319373432229888

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not sure what would be weirder: Jacqui Tyler in a Torchwood audio, or a Tenth Doctor set with Jack and Jacqui.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've listened to Technophobia so far, and pretty much what everyone has said about it is spot on. Pretty middle of the road playing it safe story but it is sooooooo good hearing Tennant and Tate together again. And yeah, the "diminishing brain functions" thing was pretty resonant as someone who's been through both their grandmothers slowly deteriorating from dementia.

Gaz-L posted:

a Tenth Doctor set with Jack and Jacqui.

Well this is an incredible idea I didn't know I wanted but suddenly need

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man I loving loved Jackie Tyler and her relationship (serious and comedic) with the 10th Doctor. Can't wait to hear it.

Doctor: Rose you do this, Martha you do that, Jack do this, Wilf push that, Mickey keep that level, Sarah Jane operate this. Jackie..... Jackie, no, no you just stand there...."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Finally continued listening to dark eyes. I started around Christmas but only listened to the first ep for some reason. <3 toby jones

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Little_wh0re posted:

Finally continued listening to dark eyes. I started around Christmas but only listened to the first ep for some reason. <3 toby jones

He is the best thing over the entire Dark Eyes range.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which does remind me, kinda my own fault I guess but I was listening to the 10th Doctor Adventures special features and they give away a pretty major thing that happens to an important character in what I assume is either the end of the last season of the EDAs or the first Dark Eyes.

I gotta get caught up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

He is the best thing over the entire Dark Eyes range.

Oh, I don't quite know about that.

Hello, you.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-corking-offers-from-the-worlds-of-doctor-who

I have no idea what makes an offer “corking,” but Big Finish is having a sale for the Jago & Litefoot range.

If anything, I’d recommend picking up the Companion Chronicle The Mahogany Murderers. And if you like the idea of Jago, Litefoot, and the Sixth Doctor try the two Voyage stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I have no idea what makes an offer “corking,” but Big Finish is having a sale for the Jago & Litefoot range.

I believe it ranks somewhere between "ripping" and "tip-top", but well below "smashing".

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 20, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I believe it ranks somewhere between "ripping" and "tip-top", but well below "smashing".

I really need to finish this series someday. I hope it has a happy ending!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Of the three BF Ten adventures just released, is there a standout winner?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

Of the three BF Ten adventures just released, is there a standout winner?

My favorite was Technophobia, but Death and the Queen is pretty good too.

CobiWann posted:

It has an exceptionally good ending! Some would even call it a great ending in fact. Yep, a fantastic ending. An amazing ending. What an ending.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Well it's ending was ok; it could have been a little more restrained. It definitely went over the top in a few places.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paused posted:

Well it's ending was ok; it could have been a little more restrained. It definitely went over the top in a few places.

And to be fair, Blackadder did everything he could to avoid going over the top.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Well sure, but he didn't really stand out from all the rest there to me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It has an exceptionally good ending! Some would even call it a great ending in fact. Yep, a fantastic ending. An amazing ending. What an ending.

YOU MONSTER

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I finally got a chance to listen to some audios and I chose to hear Faith Stealer. It's pretty good, and though it's a little shorter than what I was expecting (I think it's ~105 minutes instead of 120) it still works.

I think the twist about the Bishop being a figment of the creature's imagination kind of came out of left field though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I liked the concept of the "city of EVERY faith" and even the idea of the commercialization of the whole thing leading to a kind of stockmarket of religions. But it doesn't really come off, and just like 90% of the stories in the Divergent Arc, there isn't much of anything to this story that feels like it could ONLY happen in the Divergent Universe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Honestly, I thought the whole thing with the TARDIS would've been that he had stolen the TARDIS and was feeding it energy for unknown reasons, since it had the whole "bigger on the inside" thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

It sure does as it's the last thing Curtis and Elton ever did, so there's nothing to tarnish it by association!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Synopsis: Three audio adventures of the 10th Doctor and Donna Noble, taking place in the period between episodes in season 4 of the television revival and featuring the original actors - David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

What's Good:
  • The Doctor/Donna Chemistry. Cited by many as the best Doctor/Companion partnership of the revival run so far (some would argue that the show has EVER had, classic or revival), it's a welcome return to hear both Tennant and Tate back in the roles they once inhabited so well. It feels like they haven't missed a day, the two comfortably settle back into their roles and most importantly their chemistry together. Nobody is phoning it in (and hell, it's not like Tennant is in need of the work or money) and it sounds like the two are having an absolute blast, even when the characters are getting short or frustrated with each other. If you enjoyed the two together on television, there's no reason you won't enjoy them again in audio format, with the only downside being that we don't get to see the wonderful facial expressions/reactions the two often had towards each other. Listen to the behind the scenes interviews as well for more of the same, as they good-naturedly mock each other before warmly praising the other and talking about how happy they are to have got the old gang back together.

• The RTD feel. Doctor Who is a very different television show to the RTD years nowadays, and that's got its upsides and its downsides. That said, for me these audios feel very much like something out of the RTD years in a good way - it's all the highly emotive, charged nonsense that RTD did so well on television, and now Matt Fitton, Jenny Colgan, James Goss and the entire team at Big Finish do a great job of recapturing that same ridiculously fun spirit without hitting any of the lows that sometimes punctuated the show during that period. Whether it's people recoiling in fear from vacuum cleaners, civil servants taking over a den of iniquity, or a bunch of quasi-Marxist maids doing battle with a skeleton army - there's just a campy fun feel to the whole thing.

What's Not:

• It's played safe. Big Finish doesn't really try anything too beyond the pale - yes it captures the RTD spirit, but it doesn't take any of the big risks that RTD often took. Sometimes those worked beautifully for him, sometimes they blew up in his face, but he always seemed willing to put himself out there. Perhaps justifiably Big Finish decided to push for middle-of-the-road, fairly safe stories that mostly relied on the Doctor/Donna chemistry to carry them. They do this very well, and I imagine some experimentation is to come in future releases, but it does mean none of the stories really stand out as absolute classics (but also no utter stinkers).

Synopsis: The Doctor brings Donna a few years into her future to check out the latest smart tech gadget, and discovers the people of London becoming increasingly confused and frightened by technology. Is "Sylvie" an evil AI about to take over the planet, or is it the people who are the problem?

What's Good:
  • The "evil" AI. The story seems to be aiming for the typical "new technological advancement backfires and tries to take over humanity" type of thing, but quickly turns that on its head. A series of incidents leave the Doctor confused because when he checks the technology that "assaulted" various humans he discovers there is absolutely nothing wrong. The problem isn't the technology but the people, their fear and the danger that results is entirely of their own creation - born of ignorance and presenting no threat beyond what the humans cause to themselves in their efforts to "escape". The actual source behind the fear is entirely more terrifying than any robot or AI would be.

• The horror of ignorance. With no (known) external threat, the true horror comes from the result of the growing ignorance of the human population. Of particular note is a section where a technological genius is reduced to a gibbering mess in the presence of technology, finding herself unable to even draw a circuit with a pencil... or even a straight line. To make things worse, as her condition deteriorates she begins to regard even the pencil itself with fear, how does this "drawing stick" work? For me it hits a rather unsettling area by bringing to mind dementia, the loss of the ability to comprehend or understand things that were so simple in the past, the loss of the mind and the self to the frustration, fear and misery they comes from not being able to understand. This is present throughout the story to one degree or another - a man is trapped in a lift unable to understand how he is being shifted from one position to another or who the mysterious voice telling him what floor he is on is; a newscaster stops in terror as he realizes that words are floating in the air in front of him telling him what to say; a cleaner recoils in fear from his vacuum cleaner, leg tangled in the cord and convinced he is under attack from the roaring creature; people find themselves trapped inside mysterious metal objects on wheels; and underground giant metal snakes sit silently in the tunnels, flashing words with destinations on them - what ominous threat are they making!?! Remove humanity's understanding of their environment, and they become fearful, superstitious primitives whose fight or flight instincts are automatically triggered.

• The Doctor is not immune. The Doctor's great intelligence actually proves to be a liability, and best of all the effect it has on him - while immediately obvious to the listener - goes unnoticed by himself because he is inside his own head, everything seems perfectly reasonable to him until he begins to understand that things he knew easily before are now mysteries to him. He assumes the Sonic Screwdriver has stopped working rather than himself, and it isn't until he goes into the TARDIS and can't deal with the impossibility of what he he seeing that he finally grasps that his own mind has been turned against him. His reaction to this is somehow perfectly RTD, as he shuts down his higher brain functions in order to regain the ability to walk and talk, and increasingly looks to Donna for direction until they can engineer a way to return him to his best self.

• Donna. Donna's ability to hold out longer than most (but not all) of the other characters in the story is not an indictment of her intelligence, but rather explained away by her lack of exposure to the signal, her coming from a slightly older time where technology was omnipresent but not quite to the degree it is today, and having mostly not cared to understand most technology in the first place. As a result, she can hold out longer, come up with plans involving technology, and she's smart enough to realize her own limitations - her plan essentially boils down to,"I'm going to take things far enough for the Doctor to wrap things up at the end" and.... that works! Plus of course during all of this she's been the same old Donna, flirting outrageously ("He saved me.... with his muscles!"), getting snippy with the alien menaces, and proving herself more insightful and empathetic than her initial brash attitude might first indicate.

• The resolution. This works so well, with Donna's plan working to the point that the Doctor gets back in charge of his faculties and makes the necessary moves to negate the evil plan. His solution builds on everything presented in the story up to that point, and even falls into the old RTD tradition of,"The Doctor gives the bad guys a chance to walk away" ending. Even though it's violent, the end of the bad guys is nicely ironic, and the line of,"Did you remember to turn on the.... thing...?" is pretty drat hilarious.

What's Not:

• The Koggnossenti. The actual villains of the piece have a lot of potential - an alien race that conquers/invades not through martial force or violence, but by reducing the intelligence/comprehensive ability of their victims to the point that they welcome the arrival of a "smarter" race that promises to "look after them" (turn them into slaves). But the aliens' pompous characterization makes them feel more like some WASPish bad guys out of a crude 80s comedy, and the story never seems entirely sure whether it wants them to be monstrously immoral slavers or comedic idiots who aren't quite as smart as they think they are.

• The cleaner. This character just seems kind of weirdly out of place, an extra character who isn't really needed and whose purpose to demonstrate the danger/threat is redundant because that function was already filled by other characters as effectively if not moreso. Also, his accent and dialogue feels mildly racist - the uneducated foreigner archetype for no real reason.

Synopsis: On a planet-sized spaceport, a banned weapon called a Time Reaver is being sold on the blackmarket not so much for its military applications as for its potential as a narcotic. Furious to discover what is going on, the Doctor forces himself on the bureaucratic administrators of the planet to track down and destroy the weapon as well as find out who is responsible for its creation and proliferation. Unfortunately, a rather unpleasant octopus-man has no plans to give up his chance for power and fortune, and there are no steps it isn't willing to go to for it.

What's Good:
  • The Time Reaver and its application. The Time Reaver as a weapon is already a pretty neat concept - it slows down the victim's perception of time enormously, meaning it can be used effectively as a torture device to stretch out a moment's pain to a relative sense of days, weeks or even months. But the way it is used in this story is perhaps even more devastating, as downtrodden members of Calibris' underclass take to using it as a narcotic - wait for a moment of pleasure or happiness and then use the gun, and suddenly that euphoria will last and last and last.... even if only a few minutes has gone by. Which of course is what makes it so dangerous, because once people recover they want MORE, and while time may not pass for the body, it does for the mind, and you CAN have too much of a good thing. And if the effect is made to last longer? If somebody spends a week in their state of euphoria (or pain)? Then without any real notion of time and with one particular feeling dominating their minds, who is going to remember to look after themselves? To be aware of their surroundings? To eat or drink? To sleep? And when the Doctor discovers WHY the Time Reaver was discovered, and HOW it ended up on Calibris, it just adds to the sense of desperation and longing.

• Donna sharing her dad's final words. I won't reveal them here, but when Donna talks about the death of her father (an event that happened off-screen and went largely unmentioned on the TV show) it's very moving, and when she reveals the final words he told her.... well, you have to hear it, really :allears:

• The Doctor/Donna chemistry. I know I already talked about this before, but it bears repeating, these two are so great together. Her gentle chiding of the Doctor when he admits that he only really came to Calibris because he likes to look at all the other spaceships in the universe and feel smug because the TARDIS is better is a lovely bit of character work. Together they make a great double act, lots of verbal sparring and sniping back and forth but also very effective teamwork. The way Donna reacts to the aftermath of the Doctor's insane plan to deal with the Time Reavers is very sweet, and this story very much plays off the idea that the two are the absolute best of friends traveling time and space together having a blast and looking out for each other.

What's Not:

• The bad guy. Unfortunately while the concept is interesting, the execution is not, and the voice modulation while well-intentioned ends up being more a distraction than enhancement to the actor's performance. It's also difficult to take it particularly seriously as a threat, it's just kind of a ridiculous thing and so low-rent that you question whether it has managed to last as long as it has because it is so beneath the attention of the officials. Instead of being a serious threat and danger, it just feels comedic, kinda pathetic, and not particularly bright. More often than not its cunning plans consist of just showing up and saying,"Give me what I want" and ignoring the fact it is outgunned, surrounded or in no position to make demands. It ignores the actual situations it finds itself in to just repeat demands to be handed what it wants even when it has nothing backing it up by way of threat. When it finally faces its comeuppance, it doesn't feel so much justified as just the inevitable result of a not particularly bright thug pushing its luck too far.

• The "planet" size of the Spaceport. It's an issue that has cropped up in Big Finish stories before (such as Faith Stealer) and even on the television show (like Gridlock or even the Library 2-parter) where the idea is,"The entire PLANET is <x>" which sounds very impressive. Except it also doesn't particularly stand up to the story itself, as the setting ends up feeling more like a small town let alone a city or country and certainly not an entire planet. The sense of scale is not there, all the integral characters/authorities/headquarters/locations etc take place inside a constrained geographic space because spreading it all out across (and inside) an entire planet would be unmanageable... except that is what the setting actually IS.

• Ignorance of the Vacintian situation. The Doctor knows about the Vacintians.... so how does he not know about the situation they're currently facing? Or their involvement with the Time Reaver situation? The Doctor's ignorance of these things is necessary for some major revelations in the story, but doesn't make particular since given the apparent prominence of the Vacintians in the universe, as well as the intense interest the Doctor has in the Time Reavers.

Synopsis: On a vacation in 18th Century France, Donna finally meets her Prince Charming and falls in love. With marriage and coronation set for the same day, the only fly in the ointment seems to be her prospective mother-in-law.... and also I guess the army of skeletons lead by Death storming the castle demanding payment for 500 years of peace.

What's Good:
  • The Doctor as third wheel. When Donna meets the charming Prince Rudolph, she's instantly enamored and to her great joy he seems to be too. Which makes the Doctor's insistence of sticking his nose in all the better, as over the course of several dates the two try to get to know each other only for the Doctor to continually stick his oar in or get in the way. Popping his head in to inquire about the mysterious country Rudolph is prince of (the Doctor has never heard of it, raising his suspicions), detouring their romantic trips in order to explore things of interest to HIM, eventually the Doctor gets dumped as Rudolph and Donna do a runner to get him out of the way. Even when he finally shows up, he remains a third wheel who just serves to infuriate (endearingly) Donna, get casually insulted ("are you an aging gigolo?" asks the Queen-Mother, to Donna's great delight), and dismissed by Death in a rather cruel way ("My victim must be loved.... nobody loves you"). Best of all comes the section where he decides to nobly "let Donna go", making a brave speech about how much it hurts him when a companion leaves but how he knows it for the best for them and he is proud of them and happy for them and blah blah blah while all the while Donna is trying to get a word in edge-wise to tell him to shut up and listen because things are going to sour and she wants to get the hell out of dodge with him. This constant sidelining of the Doctor works extremely well, especially because even as it is all happening, the Doctor IS getting stuff done, figuring things out (albeit incorrectly at first) and still being an integral character even if this is very much a story where Donna is the central character.

• The quasi-companion. At first Hortense (Big Finish veteran Beth Chalmers) seems a one-note comedic character, a maid whose exposure to Donna has seen her gain awareness of the works of Jackie Collins and a decidedly Marxist-bent. But as the story continues, she begins to prove her worth both as a quasi-companion to the Doctor AND a leader of her fellow countrymen, which plays importantly into the end of the story. The Doctor taking to her and commenting on her suitability as a companion is quite fun following so quickly on from the scene where he "let's Donna go", which gets a neat punchline when Donna shows up and archly notes that he "moves quick". There is a level of "exposition machine" from her as she gets the Doctor to give a running commentary of action going on so the listener can get a mental picture, and it's all played a little too much with a nod and a wink at times. But her rallying of her fellow maids and her reaction to the change in the status quo at the resolution all feel earned and sensible, and make for a good supporting character

• Prince Rudolph. The initially debonair and sophisticated Rudolph has a wonderful gentle transformation across the course of the story, ending in a rather fantastic sequence where he finds himself caught between Donna and his mother, and a quite hilarious scene of him pathetically calling after Donna as she gets the hell out of town having dodged a bullet with "not my best wedding... not my worst either". The slow realization that Rudolph's feelings may be genuine but the man himself is surface-flat is nicely handled, and the fact he is genuine is important because it in some ways makes the character more pathetic - had he just been coldly manipulating Donna (like his mother, played by Alice "Borg Queen" Krige) it would have made him one-dimensionally villainous, but as things the shallow character ironically ends up with a bit more depth to him.

• The flag. The flag is introduced early to the story as a subject of some fascination to the Doctor, and it's import (and how it affects particular characters) is firmly established throughout the story which is important to the resolution, making everything make sense and feel like the solution wasn't just pulled out of the author's rear end at the last minute.

• Donna's solution. The way Donna deals with Death is.... you have to hear it to believe it :vince:

What's Not:

• It's a bit cute. The story mostly has a very lighthearted tone, but sometimes it all gets a bit too cute, too much winking to the listener with anachronisms or forced jokes. This mostly happens with Hortense and her fellow maids, who act and react in ways that really make no sense given their sheltered upbringing even WITH exposure to Donna and some of the activities she has had them undertake.

Final Thoughts:

Volume One of the 10th Doctor Adventures delivers exactly what it promised - new stories featuring the 10th Doctor and Donna Noble. By that I mean it remains true to the characters, not only in the obvious still strong chemistry between David Tennant and Catherine Tate, but in the characterization and writing that very much brings to mind the RTD era in general and the wonderful series 4 in particular. It only suffers from playing things just a little too safe. While understandable and perhaps even justified, Big Finish seemed to figure that the primary interest in these stories would be in Tennant and Tate and there wasn't much point in bringing their A-Game just yet when something solid would do so long as Tennant and Tate were together and firing on all cylinders. These stories feel like standard Big Finish fare, stories that are entirely listenable but don't particularly stand out like they're capable of at their best. Now that everything is established though, and we've thrilled to the novelty of hearing Tennant and Tate back in their roles and doing Big Finish at last... I'm hoping Volume Two is going to maybe get a little more experimental, reach more for the stars and the highest highs of series 4. I have no doubt that Tennant and Tate can deliver the goods.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a footnote to the above, I listened to the Audio Adventures of Dr. Who special feature they tacked on to the 10th Doctor boxset - at the end RTD is talking about Big Finish getting the license to cover the revival era and he suddenly gets all enthusiastic about the potential ("They could do a story about the Wire! Where it came from and what it did and who it was..... what happened to the Wire, tell me more about the Wire!") and it's adorable as hell :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

As a footnote to the above, I listened to the Audio Adventures of Dr. Who special feature they tacked on to the 10th Doctor boxset - at the end RTD is talking about Big Finish getting the license to cover the revival era and he suddenly gets all enthusiastic about the potential ("They could do a story about the Wire! Where it came from and what it did and who it was..... what happened to the Wire, tell me more about the Wire!") and it's adorable as hell :3:

Listening to RTD talk about Doctor Who is amazing. I could listen to him talk about it for hours on end. His enthusiasm for it is just so endearing.

• Locked thread