Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I did that one last week and it just didn't click with me the way it has with everyone else. Maybe it was the tonal whiplash from fun time travel shenanigans into recollections of spousal abuse, or that so much of it moves around Peri thinking so fondly (and expecting to marry and have kids with) of a character we've never heard about before.

The inclusion of real-world issues in a genre setting is a really tricky thing, especially if you're trying to balance the gravity of something people are going through with the levity of made-up rules. Not that it's impossible, but most of the times it has worked, it's built into the premise of series. Hellblazer is the first thing that comes to mind. Alternately, the real-world stuff can be separated entirely from the primary setting, like DS9's Far Beyond The Stars.

I did like all the meta stuff leading up to that, which is kind of Nev Fountain's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Arrrgh...I just picked up UNIT Dominion last night, since I'd never heard the first Alex MacQueen Master story....and this morning it goes on sale for $20 off in the Nick Briggs sale...

I emailed BF about possibly getting the difference refunded since my purchase was about 14 hours ago, I'll even take it in store credit, cause I'll just turn around and buy something else in the sale..hopefully they take pity on me.

Update: Took them a few days to get back to me, but they refunded me the difference with no questions asked. I promptly turned around and bought more audio dramas with it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wow that got heavy at the end. I kind of figured something like that was going on with older Peri, but I didn't really expect them to lay it out that raw. Then to finish "gently caress it, all the different stories about what happened to Peri after Mind Warp are true" was great.

Welcome to the thread, my dude.

Now never ever ever listen to The Widow's Assassin, the audio that broke my faith in Big Finish.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That time seems neither wibbly nor wobbly. :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

I promptly turned around and bought more audio dramas with it.

DoctorWhat posted:

Please don't depart.... WITH A SCREAM!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Hello you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Listened to the 5th, 6th and 7th Doctor New Monsters audios now, and I think the Judoon/6th one is my favourite so far. The expansion of them from jackbooted 'FO SCO RO NO HO MO' spouting thugs to erudite creatures works wonderfully well. I'm also surprised how well the Angels worked in audio.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On my end, I just finished up the run of 6th Doctor/Charley stuff, and I'm of two minds. 6 is fast becoming my favorite of the "purely" classic Doctors, so hearing more of him is always a plus. I've always liked Charley as a character, but one of the things I like, her being a contradiction in the Web of Time has been reduced to something that just gets mentioned from time to time without a whole lot of actual payoff.

The bonus feature interviews revealed that 6/Charley were originally only supposed to have 3 stories together, and I can't even fathom how that would work. A meeting, a farewell, and only one "regular" story just seems too short for as major of a character as Charley ended up being.

Part of Charley's arc gets derailed a bit by Mila taking over her form and memories, but I think the payoff is kinda worth it in that case. The ending with Charley using the Viyran technology to make 6 think he'd been traveling with Mila the whole time managed to deftly address the "why doesn't 8 remember Charley as well as being an emotional moment that made me tear up a bit.

On the topic of Mila and her time in the TARDIS though...for all the crap Moffat gets for making Clara super important and seeding her throughout every single incarnation of the Doctor, I feel like Briggs should get some similar ribbing for expecting us to believe that Mila got on board the TARDIS back during a 2nd season Dalek episode and has just been hanging out intangibly ever since. I get that you can't retroactively insert foreshadowing...but it just feels like someone who is a failed Dalek biological weapon should have set off some sensors or something

I'm really interested to see where they take Charley from here though. It was obvious from the interview at the end of Blue Forgotten Planet that they really did intend for her departure from the role at the end of that one to be permanent, so the Charlotte Pollard box sets are a comparatively recent idea. There's a Viyran on the cover of the first one (and I picked it up during Big Finish's sale focused on monsters created by BF), so I know they pop back up again, but past that I really have no idea where they're gonna take her. I did listen to her somewhat recent Companion Chronicle, with the Celestial Toymaker, and rather enjoyed it...but that one is back during her travels with the 8th Doctor.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I can't say I enjoyed Classic Doctors, New Monsters a great deal. I liked the Angels story the least. If there's another box set, my biggest wishes would be that Tom Baker is involved and for Paul McGann to actually meet a new monster.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Part of Charley's arc gets derailed a bit by Mila taking over her form and memories, but I think the payoff is kinda worth it in that case. The ending with Charley using the Viyran technology to make 6 think he'd been traveling with Mila the whole time managed to deftly address the "why doesn't 8 remember Charley as well as being an emotional moment that made me tear up a bit.

On the topic of Mila and her time in the TARDIS though...for all the crap Moffat gets for making Clara super important and seeding her throughout every single incarnation of the Doctor, I feel like Briggs should get some similar ribbing for expecting us to believe that Mila got on board the TARDIS back during a 2nd season Dalek episode and has just been hanging out intangibly ever since. I get that you can't retroactively insert foreshadowing...but it just feels like someone who is a failed Dalek biological weapon should have set off some sensors or something

Mila spending so much time as Charley bugged me because she never comes across as an interesting character (let alone anyone the Doctor would become close with), and Paper Cuts bored the hell out of me. I don't mind her having spent so much time in the TARDIS, though, because I assume there are all kinds of leftover monsters and extras wandering around. And I'm a sucker for stories about the lone Cyberman who gets sent to explore the TARDIS in Earthshock and never comes back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Of the Big Finish bonus releases, Four Doctors and Five Companions are the only ones that require purchasing a subscription and choosing as a Bonus, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I listened to the Classic Doctors, New Monsters release from Big Finish, one of my more anticipated new releases from the company and I'm relieved and delighted to say that Big Finish knocked it out of the park. It starts strong, gets stronger, and changes things up nicely to keep things fresh. About the only downside is that the final story is the weakest, and it's also the one that feels most closely tied to the revival, serving more as a set-up for Big Finish's upcoming Time War boxset. But even the weakest story in this line-up is good, and an effort has been made to make them good stories in their own right and not just rely on the gimmick/novelty of revival monsters appearing with the classic Doctors. Best of all is that there is almost zero time wasted in terms of introducing the monsters, beyond what you'd expect in a story where a human meets them for the first time. The Weeping Angels, the Judoon and the Sycorax are all considered to have always existed in the Doctor Who universe, none of these creatures are new to the Doctor, he sees them and he knows who and what they are and there isn't any wasted time on him getting up to speed. It also helps that every story sees the Doctor companionless, giving the supporting characters a chance to breathe and show through - this works particularly well in the Sylvester McCoy story.

Synopsis: The 5th Doctor encounters a 21st Century London woman in 16th Century Rome, she and her husband - newlyweds - have ended up there after a strange encounter with a statue. The Doctor realizes that they are victims of the Weeping Angels, who along with a group of fanatical human worshipers are trying to use the great genius Michelangelo to both free and feed the angels. Can the Doctor save Michelangelo before he disappears from history with half his great works unfinished, rescue the couple and restore them to the 21st Century without being captured himself by the unfathomably fast Angels?

What I Thought: This was the story that had the most chance of going bad. The Angels are an extremely visual villain, part of what makes them so effective/terrifying is the use of cuts, jump-scares, shots of black etc that allow them to appear to move without moving, suddenly appearing in your face fanged and silently screaming. Big Finish manages to pull off this same effect strongly in a purely audio format, mostly through the use of a repeated audio cue to indicate sudden movement and shocking appearances - it's the audio equivalent of a ! and they manage to avoid overusing it so that each time it does appear, you know that poo poo is getting real. The basic story works well - three Angels have been trapped deep beneath the ground for millennia living in torment - the rise in demand for marble in the Renaissance causes a marble quarry to be dug over the location they crashed to Earth, and the discovery of one of the Angels kicks off a cult dedicated to freeing them from their prison. For this purpose they intend to use the great Michelangelo to chisel away from marble surrounding their bodies, at which point they will time displace him and feed off not only the potential energy of the life he would have lead, but the enormous feast of the artistic and creative energy he would have generated had he lived. It's a pretty simple and straightforward story complicated slightly by the use of a time loop to bring both the Doctor the honeymooning couple into the story, but they are very careful not to get tied up in "timey-wimey" nonsense - the Doctor explains everything in a very sensible fashion, and it is to the story's credit that paradoxical states of existence, alternate timelines, curving loops in time that end up creating AND ending themselves etc are all so smoothly explained and incorporated into the story that they never feel confusing or overcomplicated. There's even a rather hilarious call-forward to the Doctor's "wibbly wobbly" line from Blink as the 5th Doctor attempts to explain the progression of time. There is also, to my mind, a rather neat explanation to the often derided ending to The Angels Take Manhattan as the Doctor explains why he can't simply take the honeymooning couple back to their own time, effectively stranding them in the 16th Century though others might be in two minds about that.

Matthew Kelly, probably best known to most as the star of 1990s impersonation/talent show Stars in their Eyes, features as Michelangelo and he portrays the genius as a short-tempered, easily distracted but undeniably brilliant creative mind. He blusters and blurts out whatever happens to be on his mind, enjoying his status as one of the preeminent artists of the Renaissance and the freedom it gives him to speak his mind. His relationship with his servant is used to good-effect, as is his enjoyment at being adored when he meets the time-displaced Londoner who is obsessed with his work... accidentally giving him a few ideas about the Sistene Chapel in the process. That's another strength of the story, it uses humor well at points to keep things from getting too dark, an exchange between the Doctor and Joel about inventing the sandwich is quite funny, as is the Doctor's pleasant dismissal of Gabby's knowledge of physics. The solution to trapping the Angels isn't exactly unique or innovative but it doesn't have to be, and the heavy telegraphing it gets shouldn't be held against it. Overall, as the first story to feature revival monsters facing off with a Classic Doctor it is a strong start.

Synopsis: The Doctor defends a Judoon defector within the context of a Victorian courtroom, all in a bid to expose a far darker crime. Throughout the trial, the story of why the Judoon defected, his arrival on Earth and imprisonment in a traveling circus, and the reason for his very un-Judoon like behavior are revealed, leading to a major confrontation on a galactic scale.

What I Thought: Probably the best of the four stories, it's yet another chance for Colin Baker to shine and he grabs that with both hands. Pitting him against the brusque and unsubtle Judoon was a great idea, but the actual development and changes to the typical Judoon portrayal is excellent and vastly improves upon their brief appearances in the revival. Nick Briggs is fantastic as the Judoon, but particularly as Captain Kybo, the titular Judoon whose defection raises such eyebrows because it should be impossible. Kybo's very un-Judoon like attitude is realized wonderfully, from the way he surprises the Doctor by thanking him for rescuing him, to the quiet dignity with which he withstands the abuse of humans and the circus that captures him, to the way he slowly figures out how to speak English and then develops a love of poetry. The Doctor's interest has been piqued from the out, and it's a treat to listen to him encourage and delight in Kybo's changes - on top of that, the Doctor suffers his own indignities smoothly because he has chosen to suffer them, which makes his cheerful explanation that he's only where he is because he chooses to be such fun. Captured by the same circus that caught Kybo, he sits in chains himself casually questioning everybody and constantly looking at his watch, not because he's bored or unable to escape but because he's biding his time waiting for the right moment to act. There's a sense throughout the entire story of the Doctor being completely on top of everything, he already knows or has figured out exactly what is going on and what needs to happen, and he makes it all unfold when it has to. There are moments he gets stymied of course, usually in relation to the stubborn head of the Circus who doesn't know when enough is enough and its time to shut his stupid mouth. But these just lead to the Doctor proving his point, and the removal of the Circus Master leads to one of the funniest scenes in the story where the Doctor scolds an invading troop of Judoon and forces them to all leave the circus, wait in line at the front and then enter and proceed to follow the signs and observe all of the exhibits.... because THAT is what the rules of the circus are, and the Judoon have to follow the rules!

The framing device of the trial turns out to have been another red herring, covering up another of the Doctor's schemes. Everything makes sense, exposing another villain but not just pulling them out of nowhere. The Doctor is delightfully smug as he watches his plan unfold to perfection, which in turns completely destroys the smugness of the villain when they realize how perfectly they've been outplayed. In fact the only real downside to the story is that the alien race the Doctor and Kybo communicate with have rather annoying voices and are a bit generic/cliched in their portrayal. That's a real nitpick though, this is the best story of a pretty drat good lot, and I think it would have been that way even if it had just been a two-header with Colin Baker and Nick Briggs sitting in a room together talking to each other.

Synopsis: On a space station in the future, a vault holds blood samples for EVERY citizen in the human empire, held there at the behest of the massive galactic corporation Pharma Corps. Zanzibar # is the last surviving member of staff with a key to the vault, and she's suffering terrible pain and begging to die at the hands of the alien race that has taken the station hostage - the Sycorax. The 7th Doctor arrives and cures Zanzibar by doing "some remarkable things with charcoal", and then the two set out to stop the Sycorax from killing every other member of staff because they're too stupid to realize they've already killed everybody with a key to the vault... despite the other hostages constantly telling them so!

What I Thought: The Sycorax are, while not incidental, largely secondary in this story. The primary focus to start with is on the humans and the society they live in, where they are constantly medicated to keep them on an even keel. Everything about their lives is regulated for them, a wristwatch app monitors their vitals and constantly prescribes drugs for everything - anxiety, blood pressure, stress, anger, sadness. There is a drug for everything and everybody is entirely too happy to take them, they've been so indoctrinated that the idea of NOT taking a drug for every single thought or feeling they have is alien to them. The Doctor sighs that this is one of those intensely self-interested periods of human history (only confirmed by his discovery of Zanzibar's last name) and does what he does best, sets about attempting to dismantle a bleak dystopian society in which the Sycorax are merely an annoying side-element. This isn't to say the Sycorax aren't a vital part of the story, they are. They're well performed in the story, maintaining that same fun aspect from The Christmas Invasion where their initial fierce appearance belies that they're actually kinda a bunch of goofy idiots. They constantly refer to the humans as cattle and slaves but their superior attitude doesn't mask that they're pretty stupid themselves and frequently do idiotic things because they're not smart enough to grasp the full consequences of their actions. There are moments of slyness and cunning, such as when they trick Zanzibar into thinking she is rescuing the Doctor when she's actually just giving them what they wanted all along. But mostly they rely on the crutch of their blood technology so they can force everybody to do their bidding. This leads to some some moments with the Doctor, who becomes a victim of their blood magic and reacts slightly differently to how you'd normally expect - rather than becoming a walking zombie, he basically gets a little drunk, bemused to see his limbs acting on their own ("You little traitor!" he gleefully accuses one of his legs) and chatting amicably to the person he is supposed to be fighting to the death even as his body goes through the motions. Meanwhile, the real villain of the piece of revealed, and while it is very well handled it does suffer somewhat in sharing some surface similarities to the ultimate villain of the previous story. That said, the REAL story here is in Zanzibar's realization that medicating herself to feel nothing has completely removed meaning from her life, and her rejection of the drugs that have maintained every aspect of her life to date makes her feel truly alive for the first time. She and the Doctor defeat the Sycorax, but they were only a symptom of the deeper sickness the human race was suffering, and ironically it was in taking away their medicine that they can finally get better.

Synopsis: Despite objections from the 8th Doctor, the Time Lords and Daleks both bring their Time War passing momentarily through the space of the planet Drakkis, irrevocably altering its past, present and future to reflect the chaotic war that it momentarily was exposed to. Surveying the damage, the Doctor rescues a woman on a diplomatic mission to end centuries of hostilities between two city-states in order to form an alliance against newly arrived alien invaders - the Sontarans.

What I Thought: The Sontarans are an odd choice for this boxset, since they're very much classic series villains. The conceit here is that these are explicitly the type of Sontarans we've seen in the revival, the Sontarans that desperately tried to join the Time War but were rejected by the Time Lords and Daleks both. Primarily played by Dan Starkey and Christopher Ryan, both are excellent as always and give some depth to the often simplistic idea of the Sontarans, while also avoiding a lot of the monkey-cheese humor that has plagued Dan Starkey's appearances over the last few seasons. Starkey plays Jask, a disgraced Commander used as a guinea pig in an attempt to design portable teleportation devices that can transport living matter without use of a homing pod on the ground. Surviving the experiment means that General Stenk - played by Ryan - will now give the go-ahead to his tens of thousands of troops to teleport down to the planet enmasse to conquer it. This leaves Jask on his own, attempting to capture both the Doctor and Sarana only to have the tables turned on him and then surviving an assassination attempt by another Sontaran sent on a covert mission.

The exploration of Sontaran ideals is the most interesting part of this story, which is otherwise the weakest of the four. Jask and Stenk represent differing interpretations of Sontaran warriors, and could almost be looked at as a mirror of the differences between classic and revival versions. Both live for the glory of battle, but Jask's idea of glory is that of the Empire, while Stenk's desire is personal. Jask took pride in his name of "Foeslayer" but he did not put his own personal pride and honor above the good of the Empire, an accusation he makes against Stenk whose every action is designed to improve his own standing and legacy. Jask was disgraced because he was going to report that Stenk left tens of thousands of Sontarans to die in a battle with the Rutans so he could ensure his own escape, but before he could Stenk orchestrated putting him in command of a battle he could not win and then threatened to destroy the careers of his junior officers unless Jask took all the blame for the defeat on himself. The death of tens of thousands of Sontarans in battle is an interesting thing, because as Jask readily admits normally the death of so many of his brethren wouldn't bother him because that is what they (and he) were bred for - but he objects to futile deaths that accomplish nothing for the Empire. Stenk, meanwhile, argues that his own life is more important, that he must do everything he can to ensure his own survival and continued glory because THAT would serve the Empire (to have a great, heroic warrior to serve under). But the use of an assassin convinces Jask that Stenk has gone too far, and in a very uneasy alliance with the Doctor and Sarana (involving many betrayals, double-crosses and near-death experiences) they leave Drakkis and board Stenk's flagship to expose him. There are attempts made to make the audience think things are going one way but they're not particularly effective, the "twist" when it comes is pretty obvious. But that's again secondary to the exploration of Sontaran ideals. Jask has his honor restored and exposes Stenk, who amongst his other crimes was also fully prepared to use the teleporters on his troops even after learning use of them was still fatal, claiming that the soldiers would live long enough to win the battle at which point who cares if they die! The story closes on a rather sweet moment, as we hear the clearly dying Jask perform one last duty by giving evidence at Stenk's court-martial. It is to Big Finish's credit that they took a race that is so often used as a joke now, took a deeper exploration of their military society, and even managed to give them some dignity and gravitas while also delineating between the casual acceptance of death on the battlefield for a purpose and the rejection of death for no strategic gain.

There is a very brief piece towards the end where Sarana confronts the Doctor about the Time War and it basically retreads the same ground we've already seen multiple times by now - the anger at the Time War for destroying so much so blithely, the rejection of the Doctor's insistence he isn't like the others, the grim insistence by the Doctor that he's going to put a stop to this. As a pre-cursor to the The Time War boxset this really isn't much of a preview but I still have hopes for what Big Finish will produce. But this story itself is at its strongest when it explores the titular characters, and when approached from that context it is a pretty solid story that only suffers because the other three were so much better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Of the Big Finish bonus releases, Four Doctors and Five Companions are the only ones that require purchasing a subscription and choosing as a Bonus, right?

Yeah, or you could get Five Companions the way my friend did: won a trivia contest on the BF Podcast and chose it as his prize.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, or you could get Five Companions the way my friend did: won a trivia contest on the BF Podcast and chose it as his prize.

Bit too luck based for my tastes!

My method is "subscribing" to 12 stories from the first 50 and getting them dirt cheap.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Dude.

https://www.wibbilywobblytimeywimey.com/products/all-13-doctor-who-set

I'm really tempted solely because the designer put Six in his blue coat...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Dude.

Ooh, I've got the new 8th Doctor and the War Doctor already, but those are some nice updates to them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Dude.

I can't believe it, all 12 of them!?!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I can't believe it, all 12 of them!?!

No sir, ALL THIRTEEN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BSam posted:

No sir, ALL THIRTEEN!

:hellyeah:

Still one of my favorite moments, it's so well done. It helps that it follows on from that amazing sound-alike of Hartnell going,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

:hellyeah:

Still one of my favorite moments, it's so well done. It helps that it follows on from that amazing sound-alike of Hartnell going,"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!"

The best part is that it's not a moment of joy for the Council, but one of fear and panic because oh poo poo there's THIRTEEN of him here! :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part is that it's not a moment of joy for the Council, but one of fear and panic because oh poo poo there's THIRTEEN of him here! :stonk:

It's in a similar vein to the Daleks not giving a gently caress about millions of Cybermen but then freaking out when they hear the Doctor is there :)

"Sir we're being bombarded on our own home planet by the entire Dalek Empire!"
"Well that's bad I guess...."
"Also there are 13 Doctors here with a mad plan."
":gonk:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

It would've been really cool if they'd been able to keep Capaldi's casting a secret until that moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"Sir we're being bombarded on our own home planet by the entire Dalek Empire!"
"Well that's bad I guess...."
"Also there are 13 Doctors here with a mad plan."
":gonk:"

"Fire everything! Exterminate everything!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

Dude.

That one actually got a singles release a couple of years ago.

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/sixthdoctorrealtime.htm

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 6, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That one actually got a singles release a couple of years ago.

http://www.doctorwhotoys.net/sixthdoctorrealtime.htm

Hmm, this new release looks more detailed, especially on the waistcoat. (Apologies, etc for the phone pic)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/altrightwho/status/710626941490098176

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:confuoot:

e. "gamers," as a consumer demographic, represents a group which requires some kind of advocacy? :wtc:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What a godawful person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I am shocked that there would be any conservative fans of a show that has recently had episodes about how abortion is evil, medication for mental illness is wrong, and immigrants are secret ISIS agents trying to overthrow us.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"Davros is a cuck!"

Edit: Haha, joke doesn't work with the word-filter. :D

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am shocked that there would be any conservative fans of a show that has recently had episodes about how abortion is evil, medication for mental illness is wrong, and immigrants are secret ISIS agents trying to overthrow us.

loving Christ these last few years

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

And don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xm9NHNUf8

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's not the baffling part - it's the weird imposition of the "causes" on each doctor, and the general shittiness of the entire image. The font changes on the right hand side - it's as if they ran out of causes, left it blank, and then some subsequent troglodyte decided to finish it so that it could be about ethics in video game journalism.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

*10000 word post on how Davros is mis-understood and why the Cybermen are the most patriotic troops you could have*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CommonShore posted:

That's not the baffling part - it's the weird imposition of the "causes" on each doctor, and the general shittiness of the entire image. The font changes on the right hand side - it's as if they ran out of causes, left it blank, and then some subsequent troglodyte decided to finish it so that it could be about ethics in video game journalism.

I have seen plenty of well-written, thought-provoking things about how sometimes the Doctor takes very interesting moral stances that are not always in accord with the comfortable liberal-left opinions that a lot of fandom expects him to have.

This is not one of those things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trin Tragula posted:

I have seen plenty of well-written, thought-provoking things about how sometimes the Doctor takes very interesting moral stances that are not always in accord with the comfortable liberal-left opinions that a lot of fandom expects him to have.

This is not one of those things.

Yeah I don't think "Gamers" is something the Doctor has ever given even an ounce of thought or consideration towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is that an actual serious account? I thought, based on the image alone, that it was parody/satire!

• Locked thread