Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think he's said before that he's the sort of actor who likes to take a shot, and move on. Would be great to have him back though, romping in the Big Finish sandpit.

He doesn't want to be typecast, so he never sticks with a role for very long. It probably leads to him being an interesting actor to follow, since it'll lead you to a bunch of wildly different projects, and he's an interesting 'startup guy' that you see come in for a bit at the dawn of something that can be really good.

It does mean he's never really managed to make a role 'his', though, because he just doesn't stick with one long enough to do it. Doctor Who could've been that, because he really did put a lot of thought into what his Doctor was like, but I don't begrudge him leaving before that since... well, even if it does work out, look what history suggests he'd have to look forward to. I would like to see him hold a long-term role that really gives him time to make his mark on a role, though, because you know he'd do a fantastic job if he gave it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

He doesn't want to be typecast, so he never sticks with a role for very long. It probably leads to him being an interesting actor to follow, since it'll lead you to a bunch of wildly different projects, and he's an interesting 'startup guy' that you see come in for a bit at the dawn of something that can be really good.

It does mean he's never really managed to make a role 'his', though, because he just doesn't stick with one long enough to do it. Doctor Who could've been that, because he really did put a lot of thought into what his Doctor was like, but I don't begrudge him leaving before that since... well, even if it does work out, look what history suggests he'd have to look forward to. I would like to see him hold a long-term role that really gives him time to make his mark on a role, though, because you know he'd do a fantastic job if he gave it a shot.

He may not want to be typecast, but the only source we have on that is a BBC press release which they had to retract because he never said them things.

In any case, I don't understand your criticism. A great actor doesn't need hours and hours and hours to make a role "theirs", it can happen in seconds. CE himself certainly manages it, for my money, in Rose alone.

You also make it sound like you think the endgame for an actor is being part of a long running franchise??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DeafNote posted:

didnt 9 technically have potential for a ton of adventures in between the ending of episode 1?

Something I really enjoyed was in one of those mini-episodes with Matt Smith where Amy wakes up in the middle of the night and goes to the console room and catches him wandering back in.

Amy: Doctor.... do you go and have EXTRA adventures while we're asleep?
Doctor: :sweatdrop:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cleretic posted:

It does mean he's never really managed to make a role 'his', though, because he just doesn't stick with one long enough to do it.

Someone clearly has not seen The Leftovers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Time Agent Jack" eh? :allears:

Hopefully BF will be the ones to explore the mystery as to why Jack's memory was erased to begin with.

Cleretic posted:

=It does mean he's never really managed to make a role 'his', though, because he just doesn't stick with one long enough to do it. Doctor Who could've been that, because he really did put a lot of thought into what his Doctor was like, but I don't begrudge him leaving before that since... well, even if it does work out, look what history suggests he'd have to look forward to. I would like to see him hold a long-term role that really gives him time to make his mark on a role, though, because you know he'd do a fantastic job if he gave it a shot.

I see what you did there...

We're closer and closer to the 9/Rose/Jack series that we always should have had! :swoon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Listening to the "Talking 'Bout my Regeneration" featurette from behind the scenes of Sirens of Time is a marvelous experience. Nick Briggs saying "Man, I'd sure like to voice a Dalek someday" is surreal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Anybody know anything about Dan Dare? Because BF is now doing Dan Dare:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dan-dare

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Anybody know anything about Dan Dare? Because BF is now doing Dan Dare:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/dan-dare

British Buck Rogers, sort of "Biggles in Space" essentially. Dan Dare is a square jawed, stiff-upper-lip space pilot who fights aliens and solves mysteries and such. Garth Ennis did a decent comic run some years back.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://twitter.com/PubeGoldberg/status/775058875192074244

https://twitter.com/SAOccupation/status/775159446272028672

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Communist Daleks.... on drugs!

Long Synopsis: The 6th Doctor and Charley arrive on the planet of Spirodon and encounter a group of lost Thals. But are they really lost? Is it really Spirodon? Who is experimenting on whom? And what is THE word?

What's Good:
  • The various layers of plot. Nothing is as it seems in this story, from start to finish the listener and often the characters are never quite privy to the whole truth. This takes on a meta-context when we're even given fake opening and closing theme music to indicate the start or finish of particular episodes while still within the actual episode. Nobody is ever entirely sure what is actually happening, if they're running their own scheme or are the subject of somebody else's, if they're puppet or puppetmaster. Plots loop back on each other, characters retain information in different incarnations.... including FALSE information that informs their decision-making process at other points in the story. It's a treat to see it all unfold, especially those moments where those who felt they were in complete control discover how casually they've been manipulated, and how they attempt (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to turn that back around. It's helped by one character in particular staying fixated on their overriding goal even through the various setbacks and revelations they suffer, which gives a throughline to the episodes that helps anchor the listener through the various changes.

• The concept. Somehow the episode treats the concept of,"Communist Daleks.... on drugs!" in a relatively restrained way that avoids being monkey-cheese-lol-so-random nonsense. Even if the Thals' discovery of the works of Marx feels a little contrived, the only moment in the story that feels really forced comes when the assembled Brotherhood of Daleks sings a song for no reason other than the writer obviously thought it was would be funny to have the Daleks sing a song. Even then, the behind-the-scenes interviews makes it clear that everybody in the cast and crew had such enormous fun doing that segment (including Colin Baker given a Dalek modulator so he could join in) that I can't feel too particularly bent out of shape about it.

• Charley reveals the truth at last! Part of the fun of the Six/Charley pairing has been Charley's frequent foot-in-mouth moments where she reveals she knows just a bit too much or let's slip some future bit of knowledge about the Doctor, especially with Colin Baker's :crossarms: responses to it. In this story it finally comes to a head and she reveals exactly what her origins are, what that means to her and to him, and why she feared giving it all away. India Fisher does an extremely good job selling the emotional weight of the moment, except....

What's Not:

• Charley DOESN'T reveal the truth at last. Though India Fisher sells the moment well, the whole thing is then undermined by yet ANOTHER twist/revelation of other characters doing one of their "scheme-within-a-scheme" schemes. Scheme. So we get the big emotional payoff and then the status quo is immediately reset, negating the whole point of the thing in the first place and feeling like a case of Big Finish wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Now I fear that when she does finally reveal the full truth to the Doctor, it won't have quite the same impact to it because she's already done it for the first time.

• The continuity. Though as always I have to qualify this by saying that I'm sure 98% of Big Finish listeners are extremely well-versed in all things Doctor Who, this story does rely pretty heavily on continuity references both to the television show as well as various different audios from different Doctors - the hallucionigic spore comes from a 5th Doctor audio, the replicants were established in 1st Doctor story The Chase, the memories of Charley come from an 8th Doctor audio, the planet they think they're on comes from a 3rd Doctor story etc. Everything makes perfect sense and enough explanation is given to get around any gap in continuity knowledge of the listener, but it is a trifle naval-gazing.

• The WORD! Throughout the story a particular word is constantly on the edge of everybody's lips. It is teased and teased and finally it is declared, and it should have been a fantastic moment.... except obviously the writer (or Big Finish) decided that the listeners wouldn't be smart enough to understand what had been clearly telegraphed and so they throw subtlety out of the window and go to great pains to laboriously explain the whole thing to the point it loses all impact.

Final Thoughts:

Brotherhood of the Daleks is a lot of fun, a hell of a lot of fun. It's a story with lots and twists and turns and the story moves at a good solid pace so you're never in any danger of being bored. The chemistry and tension between the Sixth Doctor and Charley does a great deal to hold everything together, but even without it the story is interesting enough to maintain interest. It would have been very easy to unbalance the audio with humor or wackiness but it's all played very straight and the meta elements are used well (and sparingly) to great effect. The major idea is to leave the listener as dizzy as the characters in terms of the constant parade of twists and revelations but the consistency of one character in particular does a very good job of serving as a straight line through all the twists and turns and keeping the listener grounded. It is all a bit referential (even if it also includes interesting elements predating their inclusion on the show, such as the Flesh 2-parter from series 6 of the revival) and it ends on a low note with the rather painful step-by-step explanation of the final twist in the tale, but almost everything before then is a real treat to listen to. The only major sour note comes in trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube after Charley's big revelation to the 6th Doctor gets negated, and even then the strength of India Fisher's performance in that scene is still quite a thing to listen to. Oddly enough given how it ties in so strongly with other stories and the ongoing narrative of Charley's impossible companionship of the Sixth Doctor, this is a really drat good standalone story that you can pretty much listen to without needing any context beyond,"The Doctor's companion is keeping a major secret from him".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just saw Hell Bent for the first time. I'm not sure how i missed it. It was pretty cool.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The fakeout actually didn't bother me, partly because broken Colin-bot is so well played, but also because this isn't a total reversal - it's another notch in the tension level that's going to raised over the next few stories. Charley, of all companions, is aware of how catastrophic damage to the timeline can be, but is cornered by guilt and the Doctor gradually putting together clues. This is going to be what informs all her actions for the rest of her run with Six, and it will be addressed directly in The Raincloud Man. If she doesn't find a way out of this, she could undo the universe... again.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The new UNIT box set killed my urge for audios. I'll wait for the Doom Coalition box set this month.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

So, does the parallel universe chicken Colonel serve other chickens, or tiny cage-grown humans?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

The new UNIT box set killed my urge for audios. I'll wait for the Doom Coalition box set this month.

The new one as in the upcoming Silenced? Or the 2nd set, Shutdown?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

The new one as in the upcoming Silenced? Or the 2nd set, Shutdown?

Shutdown, it's got this really unexpected/unfortunate/unwelcome bent of Orientalism to it without even the thin excuse of having been made in the 1970s to excuse it.

After The War posted:

The fakeout actually didn't bother me, partly because broken Colin-bot is so well played, but also because this isn't a total reversal - it's another notch in the tension level that's going to raised over the next few stories. Charley, of all companions, is aware of how catastrophic damage to the timeline can be, but is cornered by guilt and the Doctor gradually putting together clues. This is going to be what informs all her actions for the rest of her run with Six, and it will be addressed directly in The Raincloud Man. If she doesn't find a way out of this, she could undo the universe... again.

Okay that does sound good and I look forward to it, it'll be interesting to see how I feel regarding this overall storyline once it is done and I have the benefit of hindsight to look back on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Shutdown, it's got this really unexpected/unfortunate/unwelcome bent of Orientalism to it without even the thin excuse of having been made in the 1970s to excuse it.

I'm working on that one right now. It did strike me as a bit odd that the villains are all portrayed as Space-Asian. I take it things get even worse in the latter two episodes?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Stephen Moffat posted:

You may be aware that John Barrowman has been saying, publicly, that I've been blocking a new series of Torchwood. To be very clear - I haven't blocked it; I wouldn't block it; I wouldn't even be ABLE to block it. I didn't even know a revival had been mooted till I read about it on the Internet. As John perfectly well knows, it's not my show and I could no more prevent it happening that he could cancel Sherlock. I am bewildered, and a little cross, even to be included in this conversation. For the record, I really liked the show (especially the third series) and would be very happy to see more - monsters and mayhem, why not? But the fact is, it has nothing to do with me. Please pass this on to the anxious and the angry - I've had enough hate mail now.

Hooray?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm working on that one right now. It did strike me as a bit odd that the villains are all portrayed as Space-Asian. I take it things get even worse in the latter two episodes?

It's just something that permeates through the whole story, there is a lot of mysticism/spirituality stuff peppered in along with accusations that the aliens lack the human ability to question orders and improvise because they're so regimented by their caste system etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sounds like the original Metatraxi concept from season 27.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"I'm taking you to a national monument. And she's in the Tower of London."

UNIT: Shutdown isn't all bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It certainly has its moments for sure, I was just hoping for more after their first story which I thought was so good.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Silenced though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I'd say it's safe to say that unless Capaldi sticks around past Moffat's tenure we won't see his Doctor meet Captain Jack. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 45th Anniversary of Doctor Who is celebrated by Big Finish with four individual stories featuring 7th Doctor Sylvester McCoy, each of which stands alone but is part of the greater narrative, meta-celebration, and introduction of a new villain.

False Gods

Synopsis: Twenty years before his famous discovery of King Tutankhamun, Howard Carter opens tomb KV45 in the presence of two students. The arrival of the Doctor and HIS two "students" Ace & Hex is not even the oddest thing to happen that day, as time begins to collapse and the backstory of two old Gods is revealed.

What I thought: Howard Carter seems tailor-made for a Doctor Who story, given his famous discovery still resonates through to the modern day (there has been a lot of recent publicity about the possibility of further secrets to be discovered in Tutankhamun's tomb) and there is the oft-disproven legend of the "curse" of the Tomb that killed everybody involved in its opening (it's true they all died.... years if not decades later!). Carter however largely takes a backseat, which is rather amusing given that his voice actor is Benedict Cumberbatch, only a couple of years away from the monstrous success of Sherlock and his explosion into film success. Instead the story is mainly focused on his student Jane Templeton, who even before everything falls apart is starting to reveal she knows far more than she should and is taking a lot of the oddities in stride. The eventual reveal of who she is, what she is doing, and what her backstory is seems a little on the nose given this is a 45th anniversary celebration.... but then it IS a 45th anniversary celebration so it's also kinda appropriate that it is so. Her final fate doesn't quite have the impact it should, but it is intended to play up the obvious parallels the Doctor sees between them and allow a little introspection on his behalf about what might have been for him if things had gone just a little differently.

Order of Simplicity

Synopsis: The Doctor intercepts a remarkably complex encrypted code and follows it back to its source, the reclusive and anachronistic genius Dr Verryman who is eagerly awaiting anybody who can crack the code.... because he can't and his mind is at stake as a result! Verryman created an intelligence booster but it only worked temporarily and left him with an IQ reduced to 45, repeated uses of the machine only restoring his original IQ temporarily for shorter and shorter periods of time. Just deserts for his plans to force the signal on others perhaps, but now the Doctor is infected too and the clock is ticking.

What I thought: This one probably needed just a little more time to breathe, mostly because the setting is wonderfully atmospheric and gothic and is deliberately played up to be at odds with Verryman's supposed massive IQ and sophistication, but the story is short enough you don't really get a chance to enjoy that. Luckily there is plenty more to enjoy, such as the creepy housekeeper and her rather horrifying and hypocritical secrets - her interplay with Hex is especially good, there is a kinda odd quasi-sexual aspect to it all that somehow just works, or maybe I just really enjoy how awkward and uncomfortable Hex is around ladies v:shobon:v

It's also fun to see the Doctor's intellect turned against him, there is more than a little arrogance in his assumption that of course he can crack the unbreakable code and that arrogance is turned against him. Listening to McCoy as he slowly begins to lose intelligence and his frustration as he realizes enough to know that something is wrong without being able to either articulate or understand himself works well - especially since the 7th Doctor is always played up as the puppetmaster/grand chessplayer and here he is not quite smart enough to really understand the situation he is in. That he - of course - ends up turning the system on itself still works because that's just the type of thing the Doctor does, not as a result of his intelligence but because it is in his very nature to ask questions and try and see what happens when he makes something act upon itself. You don't have to be smart to do that, just curious. Everything wraps up (a little too quickly) satisfactorily, though it would have been nice to see Verryman called out a little more on just how monstrous his initial plan was.

Casualties of War

Synopsis: 1945 in London: It's VE Day and everybody is celebrating victory over the Germans and a hopeful end to the scarcity and tough times of the war. Joey Carlisle is less pleased since he has done quite well out of the black market, but he has a plan for his future thanks to an odd device that allows him to force others to his will and to do his bidding. When the Doctor, Ace and Hex show up tracking the device he goes on the run, attempting to bend them to his will while avoiding the people he stole it from in the first place.

What I thought: The weakest of the stories, which is probably no surprise since it involves the unwelcome return of.... THE FORGE! Making several appearances throughout the Big Finish range, the Forge has always smacked of trying just a little too hard to produce a shadowy organization to act as a foil/nemesis to the Doctor. Nimrod never worked as a Sixth Doctor bad guy and only really worked in that one 7th Doctor story because the 7th Doctor just completely ran rings around him without breaking a sweat. Here we see the "return" of the organization even if this is actually still fairly early days, Nimrod himself would still be around doing whatever the gently caress it was he did with the vampires. The baddy here is Miss Merchant, who has the sadly typical "bored ice queen looking down her nose at everybody" persona that too often is used in place of actual character. There is also an effort to act as a kind of sequel to The Curse of Fenric as Ace discovers they're back in her old stomping grounds (decades before her birth) and attempts to avoid encountering her grandmother and mother. That really doesn't quite get pulled off though, and the moment where she goes to her home and says goodnight to her toddler-mother doesn't really have any impact. There's also the first inklings of further developments to come with Hex, as the Doctor is forced to reveal a few of the things that he knows about Hex that Hex himself doesn't. While this is welcome in terms of the prospect of future development for Hex, it does seem likely that it means it will involve the Forge and..... ugh.

The Word Lord

Synopsis: In 2045, a secret diplomatic base in the Antarctic has seen an impossible murder take place. The Doctor, Ace and Hex are suspects given they are not authorized to be present, but they quickly find themselves working with the Base Commander to uncover the true murderer. But who is hunting who, and why has the number 45 seemingly been plaguing the Doctor recently?

What I thought: A great setting and a cool villain are somewhat undercut by the rather pedestrian execution of a character introduced as being almost completely unfathomable to our own concept of reality. The Word Lord is a being of meaning and words, who travels through speech in a conceptual machine akin to the TARDIS and who gains abilities/access simply by the verbal utterances of such possibilities. So when we finally meet Nobody No-One and he is just some smarmy guy (I got the sense Paul Reynolds was very deliberately aping David Tennant as the 10th Doctor) it felt like a bit of a letdown. The fact he is purely a mercenary makes little sense given a conceptual being probably wouldn't have all that much use for material goods, though to be fair he does say he takes payment more as a matter of form than desire, and that his true "payment" is in the thrill of conquest and the appreciation/amazement of his clients when he pulls off the impossible. But he just seems a bit too base for the very cool concept of a guy who stalks the Doctor leaving only the number 45 as his spoor, or sneaks through a high security base inside the "vehicle" of a joke.

Probably the most interesting part of the story comes as the Doctor slowly narrows down and figures out how to find Nobody No-One, and though his initial plot to capture him failing feels a little contrived his eventual capture of Nobody No-One is really clever, and Hex reading the description of his fury at his captivity (quickly cut off by the Doctor) is a nice cathartic moment. Of course after introducing him Big Finish didn't want to be done with him (I assume) so he quickly gets out with the suggestion that we'll see him again in the future, which does have a little air of the whole,"I have the feeling we'll meet again, each and every week. Always in more sexy and exciting ways" thing from The Simpsons.

Final Thoughts:

Forty-Five is a rather low-key celebration of the 45th Anniversary of Doctor Who, and it is a little surprising that it is 7th Doctor only story as opposed to four separate adventures each with a different Doctor. But McCoy does a fine job of carrying the lot, and he actually mostly suits the four one-parters format surprisingly well. The recurring use of "45" is fun in a meta way as well as tying everything together with the final story, meaning that each story stands well enough on its own but ends up being integral parts of the greater whole. It's nice that some effort was made to set the stage for further development of Hex's character and story, even if it does unfortunately suggest the return of a recurring element from earlier Big Finish stories that never really worked for me. In the end, it's four very listenable stories put together in a nice way with good performances from the three core cast and the exploration of some neat ideas. They don't always pull those ideas off, but they at least give it the old college try.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Someone's gonna be erased from Doctor Who.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The new Big Finish, Maker of Demons, is pretty cool. The traditional 'doctor and companions get split up and end up with different parts of the party with different sides of the situation going on' set up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I'm only....
checks bigfinish.com
101 audios away from that! :gonk:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm only....
checks bigfinish.com

You wanted more Doctor Who...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

You wanted more Doctor Who...

The :gonk: represents my horror at how far from catching up I am, but a better icon to represent my feelings about listening to all that Doctor Who is :neckbeard:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm only....
checks bigfinish.com

And don't forget about all the non-Monthly Range stuff!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I may be in a posting time loop, but... This is the period where Big Finish is going near-full serialization, and getting great results. Yes, it will be impossible to jump into any of these as your first audio, but the tradeoff is how earned the payoffs are. So yes, there is a Forge story coming up... but it's really a Hex story. And when Nobody-No-One does come back, it's not in the "easily defeated recurring villain" sense, but as a serious threat requiring major and lasting sacrifice to stop. And all of this is going to connect the dual line of Seven audios, where you've got the solo stuff from late in his life versus the Ace and Hex stuff from earlier... At this point BF has built up enough of their own mythology that they don't need to be pulling from the televised stuff, which means they can have real stakes and change without having to forcibly jam everything into established official "canon."

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, which makes me even more concerned for the fallow period other posters have said is coming up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

I may be in a posting time loop, but... This is the period where Big Finish is going near-full serialization, and getting great results. Yes, it will be impossible to jump into any of these as your first audio, but the tradeoff is how earned the payoffs are. So yes, there is a Forge story coming up... but it's really a Hex story. And when Nobody-No-One does come back, it's not in the "easily defeated recurring villain" sense, but as a serious threat requiring major and lasting sacrifice to stop. And all of this is going to connect the dual line of Seven audios, where you've got the solo stuff from late in his life versus the Ace and Hex stuff from earlier... At this point BF has built up enough of their own mythology that they don't need to be pulling from the televised stuff, which means they can have real stakes and change without having to forcibly jam everything into established official "canon."

I've been enjoying the hell out of it, which makes me even more concerned for the fallow period other posters have said is coming up.

That Forge story is the one decent story that features them. Nimrod, of course, remains poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I have high hopes then and appreciate that Big Finish is confident enough to be mining their own continuity rather than relying on the televised episodes.... but I still say gently caress The Forge and especially gently caress Nimrod :mad:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Would you like a jelly baby Tom Baker Big Finish sale?

quote:

All the stories from the first three series of Doctor Who - The Fourth Doctor Adventures, from Doctor Who - Destination Nerva to Doctor Who - Zygon Hunt, by way of Leela (Louise Jameson), Romana (Mary Tamm), Daleks, Jago & Litefoot (Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter) and the Master (Geoffrey Beevers) - are available for £2.99 on Download, and £5 on CD (which unlocks a free download version).

In addition there are two discounted boxed sets - Doctor Who - The Lost Stories: The Fourth Doctor at £25 on CD and £22 on Download, and Doctor Who - Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Volume 1 at £45 on CD and £40 on Download. And our gorgeous book-packaging release of Doctor Who - The Novel Adaptations Volume 1 (containing The Romance of Crime and The English Way of Death) can be bought for £30 on CD or £20 on Download.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Been waiting on a deal for season 3 of the 4DA for awhile now, nice!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hey hey, this is a sale I can get behind. I've been wanting to snag some of the Phillip Hinchcliffe stuff as well as the Novel Adaptations. Plus i will just literally not say no to more Tom Baker in my life.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My Chimes of Midnight vinyl shipped! Hopefully it doesn't get destroyed in the mail.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I guess I should have waited until I got home to make that post :stare:

:allears:

Edit-

So much McGann :swoon:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 16, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always buy download-only because they're so much cheaper, but man Big Finish can do some pretty CD (and album!) covers.

Also some absolutely horrible ones too but let's not worry about that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I always buy download-only because they're so much cheaper, but man Big Finish can do some pretty CD (and album!) covers.

Also some absolutely horrible ones too but let's not worry about that!

I'm glad the app shows the cover art while listening. Perfect splitting of the difference for me.

• Locked thread