Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's about right, yeah. No stories were less than 2 installments to my recollection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

I'm writing a Thing and I need classic who experts to weigh in and confirm or deny

basically i have no idea what classic who is like, but from what i understand it was heavily serialized, with each season consisting of several stories consisting of multiple episodes each

six or more was not uncommon, four was roughly the norm

narratively speaking episodes didn't really function at all individually because they were explicitly parts of a greater whole

More than six is actually really rare, I can't think of any more than two examples. Even with the six, the good ones tend to break it up into being two different stories that go into one another.

Outside that it's GENERALLY true, like you'd find with any serialized work. Like, they weren't just heavily serialized, they were serials. Which have mostly gone away in modern days but you know.

The older seasons even tended to link the end of one serial to the start of another, though they stopped doing that after awhile.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay

followup

is the series nine episode "Under the Lake" like classic who

and i mean, outside of the MUST SEE CLASSICS or whatever. if you were to take an average episode of classic who would it, more or less, be like under the lake, and if not why not

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

okay

followup

and i mean, outside of the MUST SEE CLASSICS or whatever. if you were to take an average episode of classic who would it, more or less, be like under the lake, and if not why not

It kind of does feel like it and in none of the good ways serialized story telling can be used.

Base under siege, extremely limited cast that gets quickly picked off, story that in no way is complete and is obviously missing stuff, and big cliff hanger ending.

On the plus side it actually has a story of its own, sort of, compared to the opening, where you could just skip that entirely and go straight to episode 2 and not lose anything.

EDIT: Hell it feels like it especially compared to the era of Classic Who that was composed of two parters, which wasn't very long but still.

I'd say more about that but you haven't' seen the rest of the season so I won't.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Some people have made that comparison, yeah, but it's not a great fit, in my opinion. It feels like it's aping more the experience of watching a classic Who episode than any actual imitation of the classic series, if that makes sense. Like a person who's never seen 70s Doctor Who's idea of what 70s Doctor Who is like. (Which might be a good way to look at it.)

The most obvious point of comparison is that it's literally a base under siege, one of the stock plots from the classic series that's also made appearances in the current one. But beyond that, I couldn't really say it's at all like the classic series.

I don't want to say too much about the next episode, but I do think it's fair to say that looking at the two-parter at the whole, only the first part has that atmosphere.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Yeah, it probably is structurally less like Classic Stylee than it has a handful of old school tropes in it under the New Show wrapper. There are a number of bits that probably wouldn't have flown for various reasons back in the 60s-80s, but a lot still reminds me of those times. How much of that was created in the writing or production levels I won't hazard to guess.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
It's not an old school episode but it has a bit of an old school feel in my mind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Happy 82nd birthday!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder what his desire is for a present :laugh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

okay

followup

A much better comparison would be The Rebel Flesh, or The Empty Child. Under the Lake has quite a few recognisable things, but then it also does some things that for Who are a major departure. One of the few things I found interesting about the year just gone was the way a lot of the stories were willing to play with the show's conventions for multi-part stories that even NewWho has mostly stuck to. Things like "there is a clear main time/place setting: if another time/place is visited it's done so to do a particular thing". In, say, City of Death, the Doctor briefly visits 16th-century Italy and 400 million BC, but it's always to do a specific thing and you can say "City of Death is set in modern Paris" in a way that you can't say "Under the Lake is set in 2119"; it's set across two completely different time periods and places at once which both interact with each other. I can't remember off the top of my head Classic Who doing that in that way; even in a story like Earthshock where it switches halfway through from future Earth to the spaceship, when the Doctor moves, the entire plot and all the characters go with him and there's nothing left behind on Earth to interact with.

(On the other hand, if you're referring strictly to the individual episode Under the Lake as opposed to the entire story then yeah it becomes hella more conventional, but then you're kind of missing the point because a big part of the atmosphere of the whole comes from bolting the more traditional part 1 onto the more experimental part 2.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rochallor posted:

On a sort of related note, I've just realized that the resolution to Clara's storyline is basically Season 6B.

Season 6B no longer exists due to BF's Early Adventure "The Black Hole". Please adjust your wikis appropriately.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

It's not an old school episode but it has a bit of an old school feel in my mind.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it must have something to do with the design of the space ship. That thing is 60s as hell.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Davros1 posted:

Season 6B no longer exists due to BF's Early Adventure "The Black Hole". Please adjust your wikis appropriately.

Season 6B Second Doctor is the original War Doctor. :colbert:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it must have something to do with the design of the space ship. That thing is 60s as hell.

It's actually really not.

That thing is straight up one of the stupid little shuttles from Star Trek Voyager with the innards hollowed out.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Burkion posted:

It's actually really not.

That thing is straight up one of the stupid little shuttles from Star Trek Voyager with the innards hollowed out.

...which was based on the TOS one.

...from the 60s.

Voyager shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sacajawea

TOS shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Class_F_shuttlecraft

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DirtyRobot posted:

...which was based on the TOS one.

...from the 60s.

Voyager shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sacajawea

TOS shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Class_F_shuttlecraft

Look, I wasn't even aware they had shuttles on TOS.

Basically I am not a Star Trek fan.

I did see the one episode where the man went infinity speed and became a lizard then did it again to have sex with his captain and some how it was still really loving boring though

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Look, I wasn't even aware they had shuttles on TOS.

Basically I am not a Star Trek fan.

I did see the one episode where the man went infinity speed and became a lizard then did it again to have sex with his captain and some how it was still really loving boring though

That's like saying "I'm not a fan of Doctor Who, I did see that one with the twin math geniuses, though!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

That's like saying "I'm not a fan of Doctor Who, I did see that one with the twin math geniuses, though!"

and predictably it was still really loving boring.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gaz-L posted:

There were twin math geniuses on star trak too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Boy, the Zygon two-parter is just...not very good at all. Especially that second episode. I've never had to force myself to finish a season like this before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Boy, the Zygon two-parter is just...not very good at all. Especially that second episode. I've never had to force myself to finish a season like this before.

Regardless of what people think of the Doctor's final speech (some love it, some hate it), I thought the second episode was far, far, far better than the godawful first episode. I may feel that way purely be because I disliked the first episode so much though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's an ok speech, but it feels so cheap when you look at the two-parter as a whole. It's all one big messy lead-up to The Doctor making yet another heroic speech.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

There were twin math geniuses on star trak too.

That episode was good, though. (Relatively speaking, for S1/2 TNG)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Can I ask a practical, kind of boring technical question? I'm in the US. I just finished digitizing my Doctor Who collection, and I want to fill in the gaps by buying UK DVDs. (Likely a lot of them.) The current plan is to buy a second DVD drive and set it to Region 2 permanently, but with all the region-free DVD players I'm seeing on Amazon and elsewhere, it seems silly to me that I can't get hold of a region-free PC DVD player, and outside of the Doctor Who DVDs (which, as I said, will probably be quite a few, but I'll be ripping them to the network), I won't have much use for a Region 2 DVD player.

Am I missing something, or is buying a region-locked DVD drive and setting it to 2 the best way to go?

Show chat: I've been watching the first few Pertwee series, and Liz may be my favorite companion of the old series. (Close race between Romana I and sentimental favorite Sarah Jane.) Caroline John is given way more to work with in, say, The Ambassadors of Death*, than anything they gave Katy Manning, and she plays it to the hilt. She's essentially a second Doctor for a lot of Ambassadors. So sad that she got shuffled off after one season.

* Twang. Except it sounds more like "Panng" to me. I like the experimentation they did with the opening credits on that one, and on Inferno. (Both written by Don Houghton, interestingly.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pgroce posted:

Can I ask a practical, kind of boring technical question? I'm in the US. I just finished digitizing my Doctor Who collection, and I want to fill in the gaps by buying UK DVDs. (Likely a lot of them.) The current plan is to buy a second DVD drive and set it to Region 2 permanently, but with all the region-free DVD players I'm seeing on Amazon and elsewhere, it seems silly to me that I can't get hold of a region-free PC DVD player, and outside of the Doctor Who DVDs (which, as I said, will probably be quite a few, but I'll be ripping them to the network), I won't have much use for a Region 2 DVD player.

Back in the day DVD region protection was sorted out at a software level (RPC-1), which is why programs like MPC could easily get round it. More recently (viz: the last decade or so, realistically) the encoding has been done in hardware (RPC-2) and it's thus much more difficult to get around.

A second drive will cost you a tenner, so it's not the end of the world.

pgroce posted:

So sad that she got shuffled off after one season.

She was going to leave anyway, she was having a baby and didn't want to continue with the workload

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

it's set across two completely different time periods and places at once which both interact with each other.

[quote="Trin Tragula" post="455205127"]I can't remember off the top of my head Classic Who doing that in that way; even in a story like Earthshock where it switches halfway through from future Earth to the spaceship, when the Doctor moves, the entire plot and all the characters go with him and there's nothing left behind on Earth to interact with.

The Keys of Marinus :v:

I wouldn't say the two time periods interact that much in Under the Lake, and there are plenty of stories where the Doctor and the companion(s) are severely separated; Inferno is the most hyperbolic example, barring Keys's Doc Holiday.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's about right, yeah. No stories were less than 2 installments to my recollection.

Mission to the Unknown :v:

Burkion posted:

More than six is actually really rare, I can't think of any more than two examples.

Off the top of my head,

The Daleks
Marco Polo
The Daleks Master Plan
Evil of the Daleks
The Invasion
The War Games
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno

Try harder! If anything, being more than six episodes long is the sign of a classic. Certainly the best hit rate of any arbitrary criterion I can think of (assuming I haven't forgotten any stinkers (Trial doesn't count))

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Keys of Marinus :v:

I wouldn't say the two time periods interact that much in Under the Lake, and there are plenty of stories where the Doctor and the companion(s) are severely separated; Inferno is the most hyperbolic example, barring Keys's Doc Holiday.

Mission to the Unknown :v:

Off the top of my head,

The Daleks
Marco Polo
The Daleks Master Plan
Evil of the Daleks
The Invasion
The War Games
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno

Try harder! If anything, being more than six episodes long is the sign of a classic. Certainly the best hit rate of any arbitrary criterion I can think of (assuming I haven't forgotten any stinkers (Trial doesn't count))

Of those I counted the Daleks Master Plan and War Games exclusively just becuase I knew they were 12 and 10.

I honestly forgot so much of the Third Doctor's opening season was comprised of 8 parters because of how drat good the pacing was, and the rest I just chucked off to "8 episodes that's silly. You either go to the extreme of 10 (or 12) or you just have 6!" Because my memory is the best thingever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mondas is out there..... waiting :tinfoil:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Most of those are actually 7 parters! (The Invasion and the two you mentioned are the ones that aren't)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wait, there are pictures of Voyager shuttlecraft not crashing? I'm going to need some more reassurances of their provenance before I believe that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ok wow, Heaven Sent is a hell of an episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ok wow, Hell Bent is a dumpster fire of an episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's one hell of a bird, that's for sure :love:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's one of the best episodes in the show's history.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It gets a pass under the Web Planet Clause.

edit: Babelcolour, the best maker of fanvideos anywhere, is giving up. This is apparently the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJhtkJ7Vg6E

Now excuse me while I clear out some hard drive space to archive that channel

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was really cool :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I started listening to the Churchill audios...they used he appropriate theme music for each incarnation of the Doctor he meets. This pleases me.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A second drive will cost you a tenner, so it's not the end of the world.

No, not a big deal, just an extra bay in my (hilariously spacious) case. I just wanted to confirm that it was the smart thing. Thanks.

quote:

She was going to leave anyway, she was having a baby and didn't want to continue with the workload

True, but IIRC there was more than a little Sixties-vintage "Well, you're starting a family, that's the end of all this" vibe from management. OTOH, it's been a while since I listened to the Spearhead from Space commentary.

And we go from Liz—who gets quite a lot of opportunity to demonstrate competence that makes her worthy of standing onscreen next to the super smart alien headliner—to Jo, who, despite a promising backstory, is ultimately written like most every other female companion before her. Even when they tried to shake up the female companion dynamic, I don't think they did quite so well as Liz until Mary Tamm came along.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I started listening to the Churchill audios...they used he appropriate theme music for each incarnation of the Doctor he meets. This pleases me.

Wait, did Tennant and Eccleston have different arrangements? I know Smith and Capaldi do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, did Tennant and Eccleston have different arrangements? I know Smith and Capaldi do.

IIRC the Series 1-4 theme just got more bombastic with each series.

• Locked thread