Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Arrrgh...I just picked up UNIT Dominion last night, since I'd never heard the first Alex MacQueen Master story....and this morning it goes on sale for $20 off in the Nick Briggs sale...

I emailed BF about possibly getting the difference refunded since my purchase was about 14 hours ago, I'll even take it in store credit, cause I'll just turn around and buy something else in the sale..hopefully they take pity on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

hopefully they take pity on me.

I have pity for you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of though; as I implied, there's a "Nick Briggs has been in charge of BF for 10 years" sale going on. Here are the highlights, only listing US download prices because I'm lazy

The Light at the End: Standard: $5 Limited $20
    Blue Forgotten Planet & Robophobia (Main Range): $5 each
    The Fate of Krelos & Return to Telos (4th Doctor Adventures Series 4 finale): $5 each
    Dalek Empire Series 1 bundle: $12
    Dark Eyes 1 (8th Doctor special Box 1): $18
    Only The Monstrous (War Doctor Box 1): $18
    Cyberman Series 1 and 2 Bundle: $20 (This seems to be an ongoing sale, I picked these up a week ago at this same price point)
    UNIT Dominion: $15

Non-Doctor Who:
    The Prisoner Series 1: $30
    Holmes and the Ripper (Starring Nick Briggs as the titular detective!): $3

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 30, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed the story and though there is a little bit of,"Now they're doing this, and now they're doing that!" panicky exposition, I enjoyed the ! they used to indicate Angel movement.

Also the Doctor's "timey-wimey" callback(forward?) was loving hilarious.

The first two stories were great. The second two, I'm gonna have to relisten because I fell asleep due to some of my anti-d's and the dreams I had of those episodes bear no relation to anything big finish or even tv dr who has ever done.

Also I was in them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finished up the stories of Classic Doctors/New Monsters. I'll second the sentiment that the 8/Sontaran one was the most forgettable. It was fine, sure, but there was nothing particularly "new monsters" about it. The bookends dealing with the fallout of a conflict in the Time War was honestly the most interesting part. Really ties in with Night of the Doctor. Makes me excited for the Time War box next year.

Edit: I still am not fond of 8's audio adventure theme song. The Middle 8 salvages it from being terrible, but it's not great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BSam posted:

Also I was in them.

I did find that an unusual inclusion but by the end they really made you a valued character!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Edit: I still am not fond of 8's audio adventure theme song. The Middle 8 salvages it from being terrible, but it's not great.

I'm still partial to the theme they used for The Silver Turk, and subsequent EDAs. That it heavily references the movie arrangement (middle 8 first), though it could stand to be less busy.

BSam posted:

Also I was in them.

You were the Sycoraxtaran all along! :aaa:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm still partial to the theme they used for The Silver Turk, and subsequent EDAs. That it heavily references the movie arrangement (middle 8 first), though it could stand to be less busy.

Agreed; it's a bit heavy; but a drat good theme

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Someone who is better at recognizing SFX than I am should check out the last couple minutes of the Behind the Scenes track of Classic Doctors/New Monsters. They start teasing the contents of the second box set, interspersed with sound effects that I think are supposed to be hinting at one or more of the monsters.

Stuff they explicitly said:

"Two of the scripts feature the same monster, paired against different doctors, and it is a monster BF has not done at all before"

"The other two scripts are not connected"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally the Raston Warrior Robot returns!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Someone did tell Big Finish that the Sontarans aren't New Monsters, right? Cause those four monsters in that set look like they have a "One of these things is not like the other" thing going on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I found this in a comic shop. It appears to be part 2 of a two parter, but it still looks like a bit of a wild ride. Also, the section where they publish and respond to fan letters is hilarious. There are some strongly worded letters about Doctor Who in there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gordon Shumway posted:

Someone did tell Big Finish that the Sontarans aren't New Monsters, right? Cause those four monsters in that set look like they have a "One of these things is not like the other" thing going on.

The official justification is that these are specifically New Series-era Sontarans, the ones obsessed with gaining entry to the Time War. So its less "Monster exclusively from the New Series" and "Monster who is being presented in the manner they are presented in the New Series"

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Have we gushed over the Warlords Doctor Who miniatures yet?

10th Doctor box:

12th Doctor box (no miniature pictures yet)

On works:

warlord posted:

Our forthcoming range will also include plastic Daleks, Cybermen and Unit troopers, as well as many more pewter figures.

Currently they're UK only, but i'm counting on resellers to get my horde of plastic peppershakers.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

jivjov posted:

The official justification is that these are specifically New Series-era Sontarans, the ones obsessed with gaining entry to the Time War. So its less "Monster exclusively from the New Series" and "Monster who is being presented in the manner they are presented in the New Series"

And who are short for some reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greententacle posted:

And who are short for some reason.

Copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy-of......

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jsor posted:

I found this in a comic shop. It appears to be part 2 of a two parter, but it still looks like a bit of a wild ride. Also, the section where they publish and respond to fan letters is hilarious. There are some strongly worded letters about Doctor Who in there.

How many of the letters are from New Series producers, actors and writers? :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Sycorax are such goofy idiots I love it. When the Doctor formally does something and they all go,"Ahhhhhhhh!" like sports fans watching their team get scored against was hilarious.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

adhuin posted:

Have we gushed over the Warlords Doctor Who miniatures yet?

10th Doctor box:

I guess they used Tennant's stunt double to create that miniature, huh? :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tarquinn posted:

I guess they used Tennant's stunt double to create that miniature, huh? :v:

It says Rose Tyler, but that's clearly Jackie.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It says Rose Tyler, but that's clearly Jackie.

It also says Tenth Doctor, but that's clearly a young Philip Glenister

edit: Didn't notice that joke had already been made.

Anyway, they've all got the Val Kilmer look to them.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 31, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Were getting too fancy with these expectations.

In good old days some green bubble wrapper was all we needed. Or a toy tank.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

adhuin posted:

Were getting too fancy with these expectations.

In good old days some green bubble wrapper was all we needed. Or a toy tank.

If they don't make high-quality merchandise, the BBC prop department cant steal them to use in the show.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Astroman posted:

How many of the letters are from New Series producers, actors and writers? :allears:

The only name that might be a known person is "Marc Campbell" who asked whether Doctor Who fans are called "Whoites", "Whoies", or "Whovians". But probably not since I think the one who wrote the guides is Mark Campbell. Though there weren't that many letters since one guy wrote an epic that took up a page and a half of their letter section droning on about random nonsense.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 31, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jsor posted:

The only name that might be a known person is "Marc Campbell" who asked whether Doctor Who fans are called "Whoites", "Whoies", or "Whovians". But probably not since I think the one who wrote the guides is Mark Campbell. Though there weren't that many letters since one guy wrote an epic that took up a page and a half of their letter section droning on about random nonsense.

Was that guy Peter C?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Listening to Patient Zero and hot drat Colin Baker is just knocking it out of the park in this one. I'm only on episode 2 and this might be my favorite 6th Doctor performance ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
John Barrowman caught a magikarp! :3:

Also, yes! Philomena Cunk!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

Listening to Patient Zero and hot drat Colin Baker is just knocking it out of the park in this one. I'm only on episode 2 and this might be my favorite 6th Doctor performance ever.

It's great when you realize that Urgent Calls actually takes place during Patient Zero.

That whole storyline is absolutely :suspense:.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man that spoilered story was a lot of fun, it's cool to think I'll be seeing the other side of it when I get to Patient Zero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Patient Zero's one of the ones that ties into Dark Eyes 1, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Patient Zero's one of the ones that ties into Dark Eyes 1, right?

From memory it ties into the end of season 4 of the 8th Doctor Adventures (which I listened to first :().

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

From memory it ties into the end of season 4 of the 8th Doctor Adventures (which I listened to first :().

Well you’re assuming that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...er…someday I’ll think of an end to that sentence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

John Barrowman caught a magikarp! :3:

Also, yes! Philomena Cunk!

That kid has already had enough of his parent's bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Well you’re assuming that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...er…someday I’ll think of an end to that sentence.

That's VERY clever..... wait a second, you only knew to post that because you remember being me and seeing you post it! :mad:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"I look like I was dressed by a committee formed in an internet chat room."

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is pretty ace.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Box of Bunnies posted:

"I look like I was dressed by a committee formed in an internet chat room."

Peri and the Piscon Paradox is pretty ace.

You don't even know what you're in for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Boy, it sure is lucky the people zapped back in time were fans of the Renaissance.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

That's VERY clever..... wait a second, you only knew to post that because you remember being me and seeing you post it! :mad:

(I couldn't find an Eight meets Eleven picture)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Boy, it sure is lucky the people zapped back in time were fans of the Renaissance.

Well be fair, if you're gonna break into the tomb of Pope Julius the II you're probably going to have some kind of interest in the area!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

You don't even know what you're in for.

Wow that got heavy at the end. I kind of figured something like that was going on with older Peri, but I didn't really expect them to lay it out that raw. Then to finish "gently caress it, all the different stories about what happened to Peri after Mind Warp are true" was great.

• Locked thread