Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh my, that's a lot of posts. Who's said something controversial I wonder if anyone bought me a BRCT for my Zygon posts oh god

It's okay.

I've prepared the bunker.

We just need to strong arm Mugabe into releasing more Troughton and fine pick the BF releases and we'll be safe for like, six more years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Once you get past the fundamental awfulness of course

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

but enough about doctor who

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gentlemen, you can't talk about the show in here, this is the Who thread!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh my, that's a lot of posts. Who's said something controversial I wonder if anyone bought me a BRCT for my Zygon posts oh god

You did this

I'm not sure how yet but you did

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I have zero problem with Chibnall. Broadchurch I was excellent. I also really enjoyed Broadchurch II, despite popular opinion. I never really watched Torchwood besides CoE, and I'd have to specifically look up/rewatch his eps of Life On Mars and L&O: UK to see if they are as poo poo as everyone claims.

At the end of the day, he's still a competent showrunner and writer who is a huge Who fan. He's no Gatiss, but I'm pretty sure there would have been wailing and weeping if he'd taken over because half the people ITT hate him. Basically almost any showrunner who they pick is gonna be rabidly hated by some. At least they didn't decide to "sex it up" with some non who "so Geordi is an alien, right?" outsider--ie My Worst Fear.

I'm decidedly unthrilled about the break and the probably departure of Capaldi, but at least we get one more solid year of him and Moffat. I never had the hate for Moffat a lot of people did. Some of his poo poo could be convoluted and twee, but RTD was just as guilty. He took us through 2 regeneratiions and the anniversary and nailed it with 3 of the best cast Doctors, a shitload of great additions to the canon, excellent support of Big Finish--really everything I'd have wanted if you'd asked me 5 years ago. The one good thing about the break is at least we know Who is reasonably safe to continue as it has through 2018.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

some non who "so Geordi is an alien, right?" outsider

Calling LeVar Burton "Laverne" seemed like the bigger crime to me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Also, with Capaldi almost certainly leaving as well, if next season's companion only stays on for season 10, it's going to be a complete reset like it was after the Tennant years. Let's hope it isn't a bumpy start!

The last time we had a single-season companion it was Donna, who had previously been introduced in a Christmas special

Shona was introduced in a Christmas special.

Just sayin'. :allears:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 23, 2016

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
My baseline scenario for this is either that the show will be pre-emptively cancelled after Moffat's last series, or that I'll wish it had. Oh well, at least I haven't seen a lot of Tom Baker's run in so long that it feels new to me.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

At the end of the day, he's still a competent showrunner and writer who is a huge Who fan

he's the worst who fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIqTPQqgvQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is the man who now has Doctor Who in his hands.

Burn everything down and start a new. It is our only hope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AND NOW YOU ALL SHALL SUFFER AS I HAVE SUFFERED.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Perhaps the new enforced hiatus is an extended search for Capaldi's 2018 replacement now that their original plans with Bowie/Rickman have fallen through. Time for Elba, Grint, or Moran to step up, I suppose.

edit: Saunders/Lumley?

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hmm, basically me in 1986 so I fail to see the problem here. :smug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Chris Chibnall.

gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder if Gatiss was offered the job? If not, why not? Maybe they felt he is too closely tied to Moffat, or didn't want to gently caress with Sherlock? Or maybe he was offered and turned it down.

I don't know how good a job he would have done, but I'd feel a bit better about it than Chibnal taking over. At least he has a couple of years to put his first season together, in any case.

Edit: I just saw he posted "Sclavus liberatus felix est" on his twitter about the time the announcement was made, so it strikes me that maybe he wouldn't have been particularly keen to have the job after all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel, from a pure showrunning perspective, Chibnall is the best choice. He knows the series, he knows showrunning, he knows showrunning in the series, and while his stories have rarely been the best with Who (indeed, they're mostly stinkers) there's always at least interesting ideas. He's unlikely to have the problem Moffat did where he kept pulling the same tricks long after they stopped working, and I feel like he'd probably be able to avoid the scale issues since he seems to prefer smaller stories.

I was pulling for Gatiss too, and I think I'd still have preferred that, but I think Chibnall's a good fit. It might be more likely to fall flat on its face, but that failure is also more likely to be interesting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The last time we had a single-season companion it was Donna, who had previously been introduced in a Christmas special

Shona was introduced in a Christmas special.

Just sayin'. :allears:
I'm fairly certain she was supposed to be the new companion, except Jenna changed her mind and decided to stay on another season.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
When was the last time you screwed all night? When was the last time you came so hard and so long you forgot where you are?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fil5000 posted:

When was the last time you screwed all night? When was the last time you came so hard and so long you forgot where you are?
*TWANG*

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I wonder if Gatiss was offered the job? If not, why not? Maybe they felt he is too closely tied to Moffat, or didn't want to gently caress with Sherlock? Or maybe he was offered and turned it down.

I don't know how good a job he would have done, but I'd feel a bit better about it than Chibnal taking over. At least he has a couple of years to put his first season together, in any case.

Edit: I just saw he posted "Sclavus liberatus felix est" on his twitter about the time the announcement was made, so it strikes me that maybe he wouldn't have been particularly keen to have the job after all.

Yeah, Gatiss strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't want to be showrunner. Perfectly happy to write a handful of episodes, sit in on a bunch of meetings and offer ideas or advice, but not actually be the one in charge.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

OF DEATH

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, this is a win win situation.

Either the series under the new showrunner will be surprisingly good, or everyone who has been screaming for 'awful' Moffat to leave will be wishing for him to return real soon. I enjoy schadenfreude.

Actually, probably both of those things will happen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, this is a win win situation.

Either the series under the new showrunner will be surprisingly good, or everyone who has been screaming for 'awful' Moffat to leave will be wishing for him to return real soon. I enjoy schadenfreude.

Actually, probably both of those things will happen.

Or neither, or something else

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rochallor posted:

I mean, has the BBC ever had anything as popular as Doctor Who? All the other stuff that seems to cross the pond are just costume dramas with a production cost of basically zero since there are BBC warehouses full of Victorian clothing.

I believe Top Gear was and Sherlock is. They do not have the one at present, and Moffat is the man behind the other.

quote:

When you're watching an episode of Doctor who absolutely nothing about it screams, "Oh, that looks like it was easy to make."

Indeed, I'm pretty sure Doctor Who is the most expensive programme the BBC's currently producing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 23, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lance Parkin gets it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just reading this made me feel embarrassed for a second.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just reading this made me feel embarrassed for a second.

Written during Colin's tenure too. Imagine seeing the twin dilemma and attack of the cybermen and writing that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Watching The Hand of Fear with the stepdaughter this morning...

"Ugh. Old school CGI is so UGLY."

Edit - "And why does the Doctor always have a female companion? Can't he ever just have a male companion without a female companion?"

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 23, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A non doctor who fan knows what Torchwood is?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Toxxupation posted:

I know people who are Torchwood fans and don't like Doctor Who.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I know people who are Torchwood fans and don't like Doctor Who.

You know Chris Chibnall!?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

In the UK, yes certainly

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, so where's the idea that Capaldi's leaving with Moffat coming from? I don't see any hard evidence of that anywhere. Indeed, given how Moffat himself said that it was extraordinarily difficult to handle becoming the new showrunner and inaugurating a new Doctor simultaneously, I'd expect him to do his best to get Peter to stay on for at least one season of Chibnall's run just to help smooth the transition.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 23, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

Okay, so where's the idea that Capaldi's leaving with Moffat coming from? I don't see any hard evidence of that anywhere. Indeed, given how Moffat himself said that it was extraordinarily difficult to handle becoming the new showrunner and inaugurating a new Doctor simultaneously, I'd expect him to do his best to get Peter to stay on for at least one season of Chibnall's run just to help smooth the transition.

Well it's coming from the little known source of Capaldi talking about how his time on Who is likely not going to be much longer because of a lot of reasons, and it being a full two years until Chibnall takes over.

Frankly, while what you propose is the most hopeful thing, the other extreme is just as likely.

Capaldi could bow out with the Christmas Special this year like Smith did during his year off. Only it'd hurt far more.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

jng2058 posted:

There is no evidence, people are just assuming.
Before this news lots of people were speculating that next season would be Capaldi's last based on some interviews he did saying that he wouldn't be in the role for ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Plus 3 regular seasons has been a trend.

Eccleston gave us 1
Tennant did 3 and a year of specials
Smith did 3 with some scheduling weirdness
Capaldi could potentially only be down for 3 seasons with the same scheduling weirdness.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I certainly hope Capaldi's staying on for Series 11, but if they're making Moffat's departure the big national event they're hyping it to be, I guess a regeneration would fit into those plans.

No DW in 2016 is disappointing, but at least it gives Chibnall two whole years to plan his first season. That gives me hope that it might be better than what we're expecting (especially if Capaldi's staying for that year and he doesn't have to deal with a new Doctor finding their feet on top of everything else), but who knows at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm trying to stay positive and not be the stereotypical fandom that starts screaming the sky is falling, but drat he doesn't have a lot of good to his name to balance out all the poo poo. If Capaldi leaves at the same time, I'm going to need a lot to keep my interest high in the show.

gently caress. I'm stereotypical fandom.

• Locked thread