Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel, from a pure showrunning perspective, Chibnall is the best choice. He knows the series, he knows showrunning, he knows showrunning in the series, and while his stories have rarely been the best with Who (indeed, they're mostly stinkers) there's always at least interesting ideas. He's unlikely to have the problem Moffat did where he kept pulling the same tricks long after they stopped working, and I feel like he'd probably be able to avoid the scale issues since he seems to prefer smaller stories.

I was pulling for Gatiss too, and I think I'd still have preferred that, but I think Chibnall's a good fit. It might be more likely to fall flat on its face, but that failure is also more likely to be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait.

Ra's Al Ghul.

The batman villain of vaguely Arabic origin.

Played by John loving Barrowman?!? How is that not absolutely terrible?

I don't watch the show, but to my understanding Barrowman's character is the second Ra's Al-Ghul in the show, having received the role and title after the first one died. Before then, he was Dark Archer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So is there any way to stream Classic Who in Australia? I want to take the opportunity of a New Who-less year to watch a bunch of the classic serials that I've never seen (so, all of them). I'm not sure what approach I'll take for it, probably 'watch a Doctor until I'm bored with that Doctor, then move on', but I'd have to know where to see it first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm curious, is there any truth to what I heard at some point that the actors that played the Doctor in the Curse of Fatal Death were all considered for the role in the 1996 movie/intended remake?

I just ask because Rowan Atkinson would be a fantastic Time Lord. More the Master than the Doctor, but he could pull off playing any of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

pinacotheca posted:

Looks like new Who is still up in 95 countries (the US not being one of them), but classic Who's been taken down everywhere.

I'm hoping this is something of a good sign. Like, there has to be a reason to specifically be withdrawing Classic Who from global streaming services, given it's probably the most lucrative 'classic' show the BBC have, with the possible exception of Monty Python.

I could see it being a really good move to launch a specific 'classic BBC' worldwide streaming service. There's a lot of good older shows they could leverage there, I know I'd pay for it. poo poo, I'd pay Netflix subscription cash for Classic Who alone, and I'm sure that's not the only thing I'd watch.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 5, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

Ok, how about this? What's everyone dirty little Who secret?

I'll start. I liked Eric Roberts' Master.

I still haven't watched any Classic Who. I want to, I just haven't!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Tenth Planet is set in the far future world of 1986!

(What's wrong with setting an episode in the near future, it's not like all the other stuff in the Doctor Who background happened either)

Apparently the behind-the-scenes people on the show had a lot of fun with Fear Her, precisely because it was the near-future. There's a few minor details in props, set dressing and technology that's almost unnoticeable, but they did as things they thought would either be realistic developments in 2012, or would be funny to call back to (I believe there was a poster for a flash-in-the-pan X Factor winner's greatest hits tour or something on a wall).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DoctorWhat posted:

In any case:

yikes

I think me stating my opinion on the people in that hashtag would make me sound like the villain of a mediocre bottle episode, so I'm gonna just stay silent on that.

But, y'know, you should all know I'm thinking it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like, if every Master is a match for the Doctor they go up against, that sort of thing would be perfect for a Master against Matt Smith. I feel like he would do great to sell a constant stream of ridiculous counters and ante-ups.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still stand by this season being a stronger one than most, but that's because I think I judge the overall quality of a season on a different standard.

I mentioned it in the last thread, but my metric on the overall quality of a season is how I'd feel about watching all of it again, in full. So season 7 comes out the worst there, because (excluding Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor if you count them) none of the good really outweighs the bad. Even then, most of season 7 isn't what I'd count as all that awful, it's just that there's not enough good for me to want to sit through the bad.

Season 9 has episodes I'd rather skip, but even those have highlights enough that I'd be on board with rewatching them, and it's got some REALLY good episodes in there to make up for it. I wouldn't put it as near my favorite like I did when I talked about this last year, but it's like... a solid third place.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

But...... but what about our hivemind consensus views on everything!?! :ohdear:

Don't worry, you'll independently reach the conclusion that the best new series villain is the peg dolls. Just like everyone else!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Man, it's gonna be so great to get an entire season with Missy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rhyno posted:

The Black Eyed Peas had to change their song "Let's Get Retarded" to "Let's Get It Started" because people got lovely about it.

That one isn't even regional or anything, though. Nobody anywhere should be surprised about that one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cerv posted:

how many TV stations worldwide actually run their own merchandise & media stores?

The ABC down here in Australia does, but they did switch to online-only recently.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I feel like we should compile a list of people who hold unpopular opinions here, just so we can refer to it easily to know who to ask for a defense of Love and Monsters or whatever.

'Cause I'll defend season 9 as a good season.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's a trick question, because the Doctor taking part in a vote means that circumstances are now obviously extraneous to the point where it doesn't actually matter, because aliens are meddling beyond the level of terrestrial politics anyway.

So while you should probably vote for what he does anyway, it's because the other side are secret Daleks, not because of anything the side he's voting for are actually saying.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 7, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not entirely certain any of the season keywords have worked exactly. Bad Wolf was the most successful, certainly, because we had no clue what was going on, what RTD was capable of, what it could possibly be, etc.

The Cracks worked. Partly because they were more than just a keyword, they were an actual Thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You know, when I think about it, I have to rate Rimmer as one of the best-written TV characters I've ever seen. His complex web of neuroses and insecurities is simultaneously completely ridiculous and totally relatable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What if she's actually from the 80's :allears:

Well, they did describe 2017 as the future...

I'm pretty on board with this girl, she seems fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Stabbatical posted:

That'd be dated now, let alone next year.

That's just how you have to roll with Boaty McBoatface. The best part is just how painfully lovely a joke it is, so it being dated AND unfunny only helps it as an anti-joke.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

Tom Price is Andy Davidson in Torchwood: Ghost Mission.

Go on. Go back in time to about 2008, and tell yourself that not only is there a Torchwood revival, and not only is it good, but that it is this consistently good.

There's a lot of poo poo I could go back in time and tell myself that would be patently unbelievable to me at some point in the past, and yet I think that would perhaps be highest on the list of Most Unbelievable True Statement. gently caress telling 2004 Me that Sonic would be in Smash Bros, 2008 Me that that Iron Man movie would birth what it has, or Any Pre-2015 Me that I'd be pretty comfortable and happy being trans, Consistently Good Torchwood is measures more unbelievable to me as a fact.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Stabbatical posted:

To be honest, I have mixed thoughts about that reveal for Davros. It was fun to see at the time but it gave too much away. It led me to ask immersion-breaking questions, like why didn't he die right there, why doesn't he get robot or clone legs, why bother with the torso at all?

(The answers of course being it's just TV and changing Davros in any substantial way would rock the boat too much.)

Well, most of those questions would have remained if we'd found out that he had non-functional legs down there. The thing is that now that you have an answer to 'what's Davros got down there', you're now capable of asking those questions, the groundwork now exists. Whether or nt that's really adding anything to know is subjective.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. It's low on the list of unwanted answers to unasked questions--hell, it's not even the worst in that story.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My vote goes to Jessica Jones too. On top of being a really good show, it's got a very special... edge, to the people familiar with Doctor Who.

He even does the 'Well...', it's not even fair.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I agree. I honestly didn't like Daredevil - it had very good fight choreography and is well cast but feels like a very, very drawn out version of Batman Begins with a couple of variations - but Jessica Jones was both incredible and not for children. I am worried it will lose its edge and drown in comic book universe bullshit in season 2 (the supercop plotline was the weakest link in season 1 and is a bad seed for the follow-up season, and I don't care how Jessica's world interacts with the other Marvel characters), but David Tennant's villain really made the first season good.

I'd be worried about them going the other way in season 2, honestly; that they base too much of its success on David Tennant and Kilgrave, and try to recapture the success of the first season without understanding why that was good and how to properly cap it off. Make the exact same mistake Heroes made with Sylar. I'm fine with them following the cop's story, not because I'm inherently interested but because it might work while being completely disconnected from Kilgrave. He's done, and coming back to him would only worsen things; it's better to follow a potentially interesting story that has no connection to Kilgrave than to try to recapture that and gently caress up. The best they could maybe do is write in Kilgrave's daughter from the comics, but even if they did well with that I'd still be worried if they tried.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Okay, this is the first time I'm skipping these reviews not because I'm not interested (I read some, I promise!) but because I really want to listen to them.

Good thing I bought Enter the Gungeon recently, so I have a listening buddy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Fil5000 posted:

https://twitter.com/NothingLane/status/736279386081611777

Another three billion people that were considered for the Doctor.

There's some pretty solid alternate-dimensional casting going on in there. You can imagine some of these guys being fantastic Doctors, and it'd be really interesting to see like, a 90s Goldblum as the Doctor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Today, in 'good news that coincidentally sounds like just an awful two-parter', a BBC Radio science host found four potential new antibiotics!

On a Dalek.

I'm guessing it's because a bunch of nerds with questionable hygiene kept touching it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Davros1 posted:

Matt Lucas is back as a regular for Series 10

Wait, who's he ag--

...yeah, okay. I'm fine with that. We should bring back more comedians as their characters from Christmas specials, really.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

What new series monsters do you think are worth a second look?

I don't know if I'd like to see them a second time, but I think Big Finish could do very well with the Empty Child. I also agree with the Wire, that's a pretty good pick.

And, as much as everything surrounding it made everybody cringe, I think the parasite thing from Fear Her could do really well if we gave it another chance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm reading the Doctor Who/Star Trek TNG crossover after grabbing the Trek Humble Bundle and the art is kinda mushy and naff but Kirk dropkicking a Cyberman in the little flashback story gives me life.

I just looked at the preview, and whoa, that art is loving weird.

I'm not even sure I'd call it 'bad', just because I don't think it has enough relation to any sequential art style I actually know enough to be the judge of quality. It's just... weird.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's this almost impressionist painted style that just kinda comes across as really splotchy and messy and doesn't serve the material or medium at all.

It could suit something more surreal, I think. Like a weird Batman story, or maybe a horror thing; I could see a Silent Hill comic pulling that off, and in fact I think there was similar.

It doesn't suit a Trek/Who crossover, which only needs something simple and serviceable. You don't need to get fancy, you basically just need to draw something that can successfully convey the image of 'Patrick Stewart and Matt Smith in the same room' and then get out of the way to let us imagine the rest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

You know that Lucas watched Force Awakens just seething with rage at the missed opportunity to call Kylo Ren Darth Badson.

One of my favorite Cracked articles is about the lengths people went to to protect famous spoilers as they were happening, and the first one on the list was that the absolute bare minimum of people on the crew were actually told about Darth Vader being Luke's father. On the day it was just Lucas, the director, and Mark Hamill, the latter of which was told just moments before shooting. The actual script had a fake line ("Obi-Wan killed your father"), and only James Earl Jones ever got the real one.

And as ridiculously impressive as that is, I can't help but feel like that wouldn't have happened at all if the movies were made at any point later on, because 'Darth Vader' is honestly not a tremendously clever way to hide the name 'Dark Father' and the internet at any point in its life would've cracked that open in the time it took me to write this sentence.

As an aside, my memory is saying that there was a similar story in recent Doctor Who years, with Matt Smith being the only one to be told a thing because if it leaked, everyone would know who leaked it. Am I imagining things?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 20, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Sonic Generations is basically what Day of the Doctor would look like if it were set in the world from The Wedding of River Song, now that i think about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly, I prefer one of his other costumes.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not going to scream "authorial intent!!!" at you (because that's silly, to quote Leela) but there's an awful lot of politics in Doctor Who. A wodge of it, like the politics in something like a Shakespeare play, gets lost on most of the audience watching thirty, forty, fifty years on because the context has been lost.

It's a good kicking off point for analysis if nothing else.

poo poo, even the Daleks were basically everyone's lingering fears from World War II in physical form; Space Nazis in a nuclear-blasted hellscape.

It's great to look at what we saw when it was current and go 'how much of this is gonna look really fuckin' weird when the context is no longer recent'. One of the best DVDs I own is the first season of The Chaser's War on Everything, an Australian current-affairs comedy show that first aired maybe ten years ago now, and it's fascinating to see all of these jokes that almost don't even classify as jokes anymore because they were about such public-yet-transient subjects that they felt no need to introduce them and yet you have no idea what they are. And then every so often it gets mixed in with 'oh god that's our Prime Minister back when he was Minister for Health'.

I do wonder exactly what stories from New Who will be able to shake off overt themes and references and which ones will just look SUPER dated, though. The reality show parodies in Bad Wolf and the Olympics focus in Fear Her have clearly already hit the latter (although in fairness they're ten years old now too), but I think other than those two most New Who stories will hold up pretty well. Some might even get better; I don't think Invasion/Inversion of the Zygons will ever be anything better than a bad story with some good moments, but I could see it being a lot more palatable to future viewers who don't know the current events it was 'commenting' on.

EDIT: Oh, poo poo, The Bells of Saint John is gonna look hilariously out of touch when all the tech it hinges everything on has run its course.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 7, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The fact the new season still had that industrial 90s sci-fi look to it was probably the best part. Not only is that a look that works perfectly for the show's setting, it makes whe whole thing fit seamlessly with the original run.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Australia got halfway through building their own Torchwood, which successfully and impressively defends Sydney against alien attack before work is even finished on their home base. It is soon privatized before the work necessary to allow them to protect anything but the east coast, and falls into neglect and disrepair literally immediately.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
For all of Moffat's faults as a showrunner, he's really good at two things, and one of them is 'nerdgasm' moments. I don't know if anybody could've done the 50th anniversary, or anything on its level, half as well as he did.

The other is coming up with some really cool, weird poo poo to take advantage of the nature of the Doctor Who setting. The Weeping Angels, the Cracks, the setting for Wedding of River Song, the Confession Dial in Heaven Sent (I dunno if that was him, but I'm willing to give him credit and it seems like one of his)... he's really good at coming up with some insane concepts that would only work for Doctor Who, but absolutely work for Doctor Who.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I kinda feel like not including the older Doctors in Day for the most part was to its benefit as a story, it let them focus more on a way to make what they did have work. Especially since, with Five-ish and Light at the End, they had their own focused celebrations of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The ideal setup I'd have is RTD, Chibnail or Gatiss handling the producer/showrunning role, with Moffat as head writer.

The thing he really needs is some consistency, and they've all shown themselves pretty competent at providing that. I feel like Davies especially (and Gatiss to a lesser extent) would also be very capable of knowing exactly when the moments to go all-out are. Davies was terrible at knowing how to RESOLVE a big moment, but he totally knew when to turn it up.

• Locked thread