Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It'll be alright under Chibnall.

We'll see a return to Classic Who - wobbly sets, quarries, and more baddies made of tin foil and bubble wrap than you could shake a vaccum hose at! :v:
The BBC have released a sneak preview of his plans for the series. :nws:

Really though, while I'm glad Moffat is stepping down, I can't say I'm too excited for Chibnall. But, he may surprise us. I don't know. It'll be interesting to watch anyway - be it failure, boon, or otherwise.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: With Tracy-Ann Oberman in that, I might just have to take the plunge into the murky Torchwood audio waters.

IceAgeComing posted:

Explaining the return of Susan wouldn't be too hard. If you went into detail about the Eighth Doctor/Susan Big Finish stories (she's a big part of the last two EDA stories; that's all you need to know) then it might get a little complicated; but I'd imagine that they'd just sidestep that by not referencing it while not outright denying that it happened.

As a thought exercise, I've wondered about a way to bring back Susan or introduce Benny (or whoever) without having to rely upon previous knowledge of the characters, and yeah, pretty much thought the same as you suggested; lightly reference, but side-step the issue. For some reason it's always really morbid for Susan, probably because Carole Ann Ford is pushing on a bit - but the idea of a quiet scene at a graveyard or something speaking to the Doctor's companion leading into usual Who antics, with a meeting with the Doctor before either regenerating or killing her off.

I'd love to see a way to get Miles Richardson as Brax interacting with Capaldi in someway.

IceAgeComing posted:

The one total fanwank thing that I'd really like to see Moffatt do would be a multi-Doctor thing with the Eighth Doctor; I think he's the only classic Doctor that isn't too old to return to the role and I can't really imagine anything with McGann and Capaldi being that bad.

I'm surprised they haven't already, given the positive reaction to the short.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 29, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

I am not a fan of Modern (Modern) Cybermen design because they just look like Ironman clones to me. They also can act like Iron Man clones so you know.

Same. Though of the Iron-man Cybermen I prefer their current slightly more rounded look, than the angular look they had in the early reboot seasons.

I think they could do a lot more with the Cybermen if they dropped the whole Iron-man thing, and their big clomping boots. Make them quieter, make them more static - really emphasize the differences between them and the Daleks.
Daleks are loud, noisy, twitchy, hate-fuelled squids (and we love them for it); the Cybermen should be cold, and still and quiet.

Also not having terrible stories would probably help. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Doom Coalition 2 didn't really impress me all that much. It was fine...but nothing special, and even River's appearance in the 4th story didn't do a whole lot for me.

It's always nice to hear an 8 story..but I think I've gotten over-hyped on these "event" box sets.

It started out well enough, but it just fizzled out at the end. The Dark Eyes boxsets were part of an overall arc, but each individual boxset felt structurally self-contained, where as Doom Coalition feels like it's building up for something, aimlessly climaxes, and then tells you to wait for the next boxset for the threads to connect. It doesn't feel as tight.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

When I first watched the season, Sleep No More was by far my least favorite episode. I thought Zygon Invasion was bad, but Sleep No More was just utter poo poo.

Upon a rewatch, Sleep No More holds up a little better (it's still not good!) but holy poo poo Zygon Invasion has just gotten worse with each viewing. It's really, really terrible and I'm dreading whatever episode Peter Harness writes next. At least with Mark Gatiss Sleep No More is such an aberration and you can expect him to probably slide back into solid but unremarkable for the greater bulk of any episodes he writes.

Sleep No More just felt like a waste, honestly. Ignoring the whole found footage camera deal, that it's badly paced, the characters are never developed, that the rheum monsters look bad, the twist, and so on - the germ of "scientist creates a machine to eliminate the need for sleep, but unintended concequences happen" is a pretty solid idea to work from; just a shame the execution was boring and muddled as gently caress.

Zygon Invasion made me simultaneously bored and angry. Who shouldn't shy away from political stuff, but the ZISIS/refugees stuff is handled so clumsily, and tonelessly, it's loving abhorrent.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here:

Jerusalem posted:

They say a person's reach should exceed his grasp, but unfortunately with Peter Harness, which I think it's great that he is trying so hard to tackle harder issues, I don't think he has what it takes to do them justice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

IceAgeComing posted:

They'd find a way: Big Finish has a habit of sticking their audio releases in odd places including between episodes that lead into another one. There's an audio between The Sensorites and The Reign of Terror (basically they manage to fix it by making the Doctors reaction at the end of the audio the same as the end of the Sensorites; it's a bit of a bodge) and they've sometimes done audio releases set entirely in the middle of a TV story.

The Tenth Doctor audio series is next month, right? I'm intrigued about what it will be like: I hope that it'll be good: its nice to see that there's no Nick Briggs or Daleks, just three stories that seem relatively self-contained. The one thing that I hope is that they take some risks with the range in the future rather than being incredibly risk-averse like they are with the Fourth Doctor range.

I've noticed they tend to do that with Davison's stories alot - there's a few mentions of Tegan and Nyssa stuck in Amsterdam after the events of the Arc of Infinity, and one of the latest audios takes place explicitly immediately after it. Not so much C Baker or McCoy though, but it does happen.

I'm kinda surprised at one of the gaps they haven't covered yet; Ace parting company with the Doctor. They've hinted at it, shown him submitting her for the test, and we've seen Ace on her own as a travelling time-person, but never the goodbye itself, as far as I'm aware anyway - there's too many audios to keep up with :ohdear:

It's a good idea really to limit the Daleks; if you think, we've already had Dark Eyes, the War Doctor boxsets, and we're soon to get more with the upcoming Time War boxsets. I'm looking forward to the interplay between Donna and Ten - hopefully that'll take us back a few years :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 11, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BSam posted:

Where is cgi snake?

Got you covered.

Hissy is so happy :downs:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

And though it has been mentioned before, let me reemphasize that everybody needs to watch The Thick of It, if only for the interactions between Capaldi and Macqueen (and then for everything else, because it's magnificent).

"I will not eat the pissy biscuit!" :mad:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

One day somebody is going to post in this thread,"I really like the audios with that old guy Matt Smith, what tv episode would you guys recommend I watch of his? I don't mind it only being in HD."

Then we'll all argue about that for the next 3 weeks.

"Before you watch it, you've got to understand, television was made a little differently back then in the early 2010s; no Tri-D holovids or 4-d audios - it's a different world compared to 2137. Big Finish also produce audios of all 26 doctors - even easier when we discovered we could clone them."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

ahhhh Tenth Doctor Adventures is up

Couldn't help but crack as grin as the theme kicked in. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was super disappointed with the latest Gallifrey audio.

The last one ended on a "Oh man, poo poo is going down!" cliffhanger, and this one does something I can't stand, even accommodating the time travel stuff - it erases the events of the last release via timey-wimey paradox, and then the events of this release.

It feels like a cheat when you're invested in the narrative, and then it pulls the rug out from under you. Oh well, Lalla Ward, Louise Jameson et al. are still pretty great.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

If done right that kind of think can be clever, but more often than not (and as sounds like the case here) it just pisses off the audience because the whole thing ends up feeling like it was ultimately pointless and irrelevant.

Yeah, that's the main issue - is that it's honestly kind of pointless - it's six hours of stuff happening, to then be told, "Actually, none of this mattered at all." It might as well have been a dream sequence for the actual impact it had on the characters.

:siren: Spoilers Here's a gloss of the story :siren: - bits of it are pretty good and interesting, but it feels like squandered potential.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Best exchange from The Two Masters;

Beevers Master: [...] I kill for power.
Macqueen Master: Kill joy, more like. Ya know, you used to be fun. Back when it was all "pointy-beards", and "Nehru jackets", what happened to that?
Beevers Master: You happened.
Macqueen Master: Am I really going to be stuck ruling the universe with you? Out of all my other incarnations, this!? This is the version I end up with!? Couldn't I have had "Mr Velveteen", or "the snake", or someone!?

Short review of the story; the interactions between the Masters is pretty great, the story is serviceable as an excuse to get them together, and the Doctor doesn't really do much (the focus is very much on the Masters).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 14, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Forest was boring though. Being boring is an unforgivable crime for sci-fi media.

That's the main problem I have with it; didn't help I was expecting "primaeval forest transplanted to modern day via time-fuckery" rather than "Magic tree faeries and Gaia theory bullshit" either. I would say mawkishness also, but that's a staple of the Moffat era really.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 15, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I was actually a little irritated that the last EDA explicitly follows on from a main range story that I hadn't gotten to yet (with a different Doctor!). I guess the idea is that a large part of their audience is caught up and listening along as they're released but for me getting sidetracked by listening to the full range of EDAs meant I was caught by surprise by the sudden references to a story in a different range.

Out of curiousity, which one is that? There's one I'm thinking of which revolves around the events of this story, but was released much later.

As for the stories, there's some great performances there, and it does brave things with the material - some of which I wish carried over into the TV series - namely when a character dies, they loving stay dead. I was fully expecting them to pull the whole "Alex regenerates haha we fooled you in the Christmas story by saying he couldn't!" and was sorta pleased, but also disappointed in a weird way when they didn't? I guess maybe they could have done more with the character and their relation with the Doctor, had they chosen to keep them alive?

It's sorta too grim for repeat listening also.

I didn't mind The Dark Husband, admittedly it's been a while since I've listened to it. That said I recall being mostly ambivalent to most of the upcoming stories (Death Collectors aside, which I can't stand), until they hit the Key 2 Time arc, and had a row of stories that hit the mark, for me anyway.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Patient Zero - a Sixth Doctor story released in 2009. It plays a central role in Eighth Doctor story To The Death but I had no idea what he was talking about because I'd jumped over to the EDAs and listened through all those while giving the monthly range a rest.

Oh right, yeah, now I remember. Amethyst and the Time-Controller.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rhyno posted:

Giant Penis Monster.

What is it with Who and penis monsters?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The whole "Who rights" thing lead to a lot of those weird little projects during the wilderness years; stuff like proto Big Finish, BBV stories - where (actual) K9 travels with Lalla Ward's "Mistress", but can never call her by name, or (actual) UNIT engaging with the (actual) Autons but can't refer to anything else, the totally-emphatically-NOT-the-Cybermen-BBC-we-promise "Cyberons"

Or the (actual) sex Zygons. Or those incredibly-thinly veiled Sixth Doctor and Peri stories, but with him dressed as a space hobo, and the so thinly-veiled Seventh Doctor and Ace audios (the characters, played by McCoy and Aldred were literally called "The Professor" and "Ace" respectively) - so much so the BBC apparently put their foot down on the latter.

Then there's the weirdness of Bernice Summerfield who sorta covers the gap - she's the Doctor's companion for a chunk of the Virgin New Adventures, then they lost the licence to Who, so carry on with her as the main character for a number of books. Big Finish starts up, and uses her to showcase their work to the BBC to get the licence for making Who stories. Get the green light for Who, and bridge across Benny, Ace and the Doctor a short while after.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lalla Ward posted:

Don't ask me who my favourite monster was, because I'm sick of saying Tom Baker.

By all accounts, he could be very difficult to work with - though he seems to have mellowed somewhat as he's aged, and patched things up with his co-stars.
---

Managed to listen to the Classic Doctors, New Monsters - it's pretty fun.

I felt they managed to make the Weeping Angels work well enough in audio form - some of the action got a bit muddy, but on the whole they carried it off well. I found the Judoon episode to be surprisingly better than expected, helped by the unexpected plot direction, I guess.

The Sycorax play felt very Seventh Doctor-ish, so that worked. The weakest one was probably the Sontaran one; if only because it feels more like a preview for the upcoming Eighth Doctor Time War box-set, and Big Finish have already done a lot with our favourite potato-race previously. Enjoyable enough, still.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

Edit: I still am not fond of 8's audio adventure theme song. The Middle 8 salvages it from being terrible, but it's not great.

I'm still partial to the theme they used for The Silver Turk, and subsequent EDAs. That it heavily references the movie arrangement (middle 8 first), though it could stand to be less busy.

BSam posted:

Also I was in them.

You were the Sycoraxtaran all along! :aaa:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Has it mentioned the dreaded....:supaburn: "Gay Agenda" :supaburn: like I'd imagine it to?

Oh here we go

This has got to be a parody account....Surely

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The Boy that Time Forgot was very much a "Well...those things happened...I guess?" for me. I remember being indifferent to most of the following stories too - which is not to say they don't have their good/bad moments.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Vienna is still wins the a gold star for "the who could honestly give a flying gently caress" spin-off award.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Davros1 posted:

You know he and Sam Kisgart are back as the Doctor and Master in this month's Benny Box, right?

And he's the bad guy in the upcoming Fourth Doctor adventure - this month, next month, whenever that's coming out.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Eric Roberts is getting drezzed for HD.

source

The extras seem to be the same as the DVD version, or stuff that's been seen before - it's a nice collection of all of Eight though, including Night of the Doctor.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm still trying to catch up on the monthly range, the 4th Doctor Adventures, the 8th Doctor standalones AND all the currently running specials they've got going like UNIT, River Song, War Doctor, New Monsters etc - I'm not even gonna look at stuff like Companion Chronicles, Third Doctor sets etc until I get caught up.

So much Doctor Who.... :swoon:

It's really kind of amazing just how much stuff there is.
The run time for the entire monthly range - more or less - is something like 430 hours - 18 solid days listening, non-stop. Just the monthly range.

I've only just got round to listening to River Song. Still got to get around to the sizeable chunk of Jago and Litefoot (it's far too enjoyable for its own good :negative:).

And More posted:

That reminds me, I've listened to some Big Finish stuff, recently:

Divergent Arc
Aside from maybe revisting, Scherzo, I keep deliberately skipping over the Divergent Arc stuff. Ironically, I lose all concept of time listening to it; it's simultaneously far too short to properly develop its concepts, but each individual episode drags itself out impossibly long.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

So what's the best way to get into Summerfield stuff? I took a gander at the BF website and it looks like all the old single releases are CD only, and I prefer to stick exclusively to downloads.

It's kind of awkward to recommend a good starting place with her solo stuff.
Her really early stuff, I mean, really early as in the very first thing Big Finish ever did, sorta thing...it's pretty rough. It does feature Nicholas Courtney as Puss-in-Boots, so it has its moments.

There's also a big problem with early BF using the series as an experiment for their novels, which are stupidly expensive, hard to obtain, mostly garbage, and leaves you with the feeling that you're not always getting the full story just listening to the audios. At one point, Benny becomes pregnant, the events of which are explained in a book, then she suddenly ends up with the baby, skipping over the birth, which happened in a book, and so-on.

The worst example, which I've brought up before, was the Daleks invade the collection where Benny lives. The previous audio story has zero indication of this, and the intro has specifically recorded dialogue from the book (which covered the invasion). If you've just been listening to the audios, it's like you've missed an entire story.

They drop the novels about halfway into her range, and the audios stabilize a bit in quality...there's some really good ones, but too often the stories delve into weird, hard-to-follow metafiction, and have vast tonal inconsistancies. Benny herself would be insufferable, if not for Lisa Bowerman's consistantly great performance - she's certainly adds some charm to the character.
As other posters have said, your best bet is try her New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield, and Triumph of Sutekh.

If you really do want to try something that doesn't really require much backstory try, The Adventure of the Diogenes Damsel (with Mycroft David Warner!).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 25, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As for season nine, I think I enjoyed more episodes than I didn't like but I would need to watch it again. I don't think there's been any season of the series since 2005 where I disliked more episodes than I liked (unless you count the year of specials; I didn't enjoy any of those. I liked "The Next Doctor" but I'm not sure whether it counts or not).

Jerusalem posted:

I wanted so desperately to like series 9 since I thought series 8 was excellent, and they kept suggesting/hinting at there being more to what we were seeing and I thought it was all gonna come together in the end and apply a context to the entire season.... but that never happened.
This is probably the first series I've struggled to remain interested in, since retrospectively going through latter Matt Smith episodes. I thought Series 8 was great - obvious episode blips aside, but Series 9...

I don't think they fully grasped the whole two-parter structure; most of them were unbalanced, lots of pacing issues, that sort of thing. The hybrid arc storyline thing they were going for wasn't very well executed, and ultimately kinda pointless. On a personal level, I couldn't stand the character of Ashildr, and where they ended up going with her. The ZYSIS episodes were godawful, Sleep No More was...was. And Hell Bent was an absolute stinker for me. What made that worse, was the highs of Heaven Sent in contrast.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I still think this WAS the point, but that doesn't make it good - we basically ended up with hamfisted efforts to sell the idea of this hybrid prophecy being some super-important thing, then the reveal that no it wasn't actually important or meaningful in any way.... so a thing that nobody cared about that was clumsily shoehorned into various episodes ends up being.... nothing. So what was meant to be a misdirection just ended up feeling like not only a waste of time but an active detriment to the rest of the series.

Yeah, I agree with your interpretation of it. I mean, I think Ashildr or Capaldi even says something to that effect, that it ultimately didn't matter who, or what the hybrid was, only that the Time Lords were threatened by it, even though it's, er, nothing, and nothing will come of it.

Like, they had the perfect impetus last series; the Doctor wants to find Galifrey. It could have been a whole big build up to that - you wouldn't even need to change that much for the overall narrative of the stories we got. They didn't need to add the sudden, hybrid prophecy. It's just so unnecessary, especially as we look at it in retrospect, and know absolutley nothing loving comes of it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hell yeah!

Davros1 posted:

You know Chris, if you do want to do a second series of Doctor Who, there's a company that can help you ...

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/christopher-eccleston-says-he-regrets-not-doing-more-doctor-who-reasons-for-leaving-46105/

Eccleston in Big Finish would be...fantastic.

[An Interview was here. It's gone now :ninja:]
^^^
[e]:
[Beaten by Jerus]

[e2]:

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'll hold out hope he does Big Finish, but I get the impression from his comments that his issue is more that he didn't stick around longer to do the thing right on television - no idea if he'd be interested in exploring the character more in audio or not but a man can dream :shobon:

I think he's said before that he's the sort of actor who likes to take a shot, and move on. Would be great to have him back though, romping in the Big Finish sandpit.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

He sells the terrifying power of the thing so well, and you know that he would never use it but that he recognizes and is tempted by what it can do. It's not quite up there with his philosophizing with Davros about ultimate power, but it's still very good.

There's a moment in one of the FDA, where he brings up the Ring of Gyges, and discusses the implications thereof. They seem to like doing that with Baker.

PoshAlligator posted:

If any of you remember my Doctor Who: The Adventure Games LP I started ages ago - well, it's done now.

If you want to watch it you can find the whole thing here:

And the forum thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752434

(It's not a good game)

Nice dude. Know what I'm going to be watching tonight. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

But I met someone who wants recommendations for T.Bakes audio dramas and if anyone could throw together a quick list that'd be spectacular.

Last of the Colophon is pretty enjoyable, and is pretty much The Invisible man in the same way that Brain of Morbius is Frankenstein.
Destroy the Infinite is also enjoyable - introduces the Eminence.
Wrath of the Icini - historical, with Leela and Boudica.
The Auntie Matter - Romana I - PG Wodehouse pastiche.
Darkness of Glass - moody setting.
Gallery of Ghouls is kinda fun too - waxworks, IIRC.

They're all stand-alone stories too.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2016

• Locked thread