Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i'm a bigger who goon than any of you can ever hope to be and i was born in the wilderness years and this thread exists in my horrible shadow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

I've seen pictures of you.

You are laughably tiny.

I'm 6 feet tall, I'm just lithe

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

EDIT: I'm not starting this poo poo again.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 19, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's about right, yeah. No stories were less than 2 installments to my recollection.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Narsham posted:

The central problem with the story becomes clear once you learn that Moffat declared that the original Zygon/human agreement was in fact the most perfect arrangement possible. Starting with that as a declared truth, Harness actually manages to do a decent job of presenting the revolutionary position as motivated reasonably.

The political principal of the episodes can't be well applied to other agreements which are not, of course, perfect.

One might also note that the original agreement only happened as a result of violence and threatened violence. And that the Doctor brings the chief terrorist to justice by convincing her to preserve the peace, not by killing her. The politics are still problematic, but they're not as bad as first appears.

"Moffat declared."

No he didn't. Various characters asserted that it was the most perfect agreement (most of those characters being the Doctor, dealing with the moral and philosophical weight of the Time War and, as you said, with mass loss of life immediately on the line).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

Who is Chibnall and why does he make you mad

He's a hack, and not even the RTD-type "actually a visionary genius who uses hack techniques consciously" kind of way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm actually maybe madder about the scheduling? I don't want to go back into the Big Finish Hole as my only fix.

At least Moffat's got another season so we won't be waiting this long for Chibnall 1.

but god dammit this'll probably be Capaldi's last and I am SO loving FAR AWAY from being ready for him to leave. He just got here and he's loving incredible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I hope Chibnall embraces a more room-driven direction for Doctor Who.

I trust his technical expertise at Making A Show but don't have much faith in any of his creative ideas, so hopefully he doesn't try to ape the Moffat/RTD Showrunner model and instead takes a more distant approach.

If he recognizes his own limitations he could easily bypass them by putting folks like Mathieson, Dollard, and even Harness in strong positions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah Ra's was played by an appropriate actor but then died and Barrowman/Merlyn/Dark Archer seized control.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Hey, there are people on this board who think The Fearmonger is good, when it is, in fact, quite bad.

i mean, you're wrong, but not as wrong as that guy is about Chimes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I enjoy the Bay films as "insider art", an expression of raw American id, and also the toys for the second one were :krad:.

MTMTE also owns.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Susan's such an awkward thing to come back to, though, since she's from an era where it's obvious that the Doctor wasn't a Time Lord, he was just some dude. Leaving Susan behind is just weird if she's going to live for thousands of years and David Cameron (!) is probably going to die in 20 from like, dysentery or something. It would be really difficult because a) you'd have to reconcile all of that somehow and b) it's a really deep bit of continuity to rely on. The deepest Moffat has dug into the past series is probably the Davros two-parter from this series, and even then it's perfectly enjoyable if you've only seen Davros back in Series 4.

If we're gonna bring any old companions back I'd want it to be Ace. Not just because she's the best, but because she never got a real ending to her character arc on account of multiple parts of Doctor Who being canceled.

She and Seven were gonna come back for S4 or S5 of the Sarah Jane Adventures :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Any member of the cast of Black Books would do an excellent job.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqn0UHZOSjQ

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And More posted:

Yeah, I notice that stuff from time to time. It probably didn't stand out to me during Time because I was listening to that one on my lovely headphones. There was one instance in Zagreus, though, where an explosion sound simply cut off (probably because it went below what my proper headphones could handle). I mean, c'mon, guys. We can't all be audiophiles.

:ssh: I know, right? Even after everything I've said about Chimes, I'd never for a second doubt Shearman's talent and ambitiousness. I adored The Holy Terror and Scherzo. Two out of three is pretty good. Additionally, I found this review of Chimes while looking for someone who didn't love it. It addresses a bunch of issues I had, but there's also a guy in the comment section who claims to be Shearman. Seems believable enough. He definitely makes some good points, either way.

The initial setup of that play is amazing. It goes naturally from the Doctor and Turlough hanging out to them chasing after a werewolf while also establishing the setting like it's not a big deal.

Yeah, the whiplash from Zagreus is intense. The entire second season feels like a genuine season of Doctor Who with its seemingly random changes in quality. I'm really glad, though, that Scherzo doesn't hold back. The moment their hands merged was when I knew for sure. That's some serious Harlan Ellison poo poo. It's a good thing you're already warning me about season three, too. Not that I'm expecting every play to be Scherzo, but the difference in price really makes it more of an investment.

Yeah, that really is Shearman. I know because we hang out occasionally.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And More posted:

Quite frankly, I have so little to do with Doctor Who outside of this thread that I can't even tell if you're mocking me.

I just thought the ensuing discussion in the comment section was quite interesting. Doesn't really matter if he's real or not.

Thanks! I'll see if I can track it down.

No it's true. I met him in Summer '14 when I went to the UK and then last summer I caught his play and pointed him at the Night Vale thing, though no sign of success on that front.

He follows me on tumblr for some reason, which is how all that happened.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Huh. BF just announced the new Benny Summerfield/Who crossover set will feature Benny and the Third Doctor... David Warner's Third Doctor, battling Mark Gatiss' Master.

Holy poo poo i love those Unbounds.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Paradise Towers is beyond reproach.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I convinced my brother we were watching another show for a good fifteen minutes of PT. It was that bad.

actually it is you who is bad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Of COURSE that was the point. There's no goddamn way of watching Series 9 with a critical eye where it isn't ABUNDENTLY CLEAR that the Doctor/Clara dynamic is what Moffat cared about, the kind of story he's ALWAYS really interested in telling.

You'd think that'd be taken as read, by now.

In any case:

Toxxupation posted:

#thetriggering is a current hashtag making the rounds on twitter for people to "Talk real" to "SJWs"

what it really is is a way for racists, sexists, transphobic people to say their horrible opinions and hide behind the paper-thin defense of "shutting down the essjaydubs"

like, here's common examples of the great opinions of #thetriggering

https://twitter.com/jwoulfsholokhov/status/707701979816919040

https://twitter.com/TrumpHat/status/707692708249387010

https://twitter.com/tassostsl/status/707690979088863232

anyways, the guy who wrote the unicorn and the wasp is basically saying a meme about how people who call themselves gay, trans, etc aren't "identifying" as anything, they're utilizing labelization in substitution of a personality

basically he's decidin to dunk on the marginalized but in the most passive-aggressive and pissant way possible

yikes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Now hold on, I wasn't making a declarative statement of the quality of the Doctor/Clara arc (though I certainly hold it in higher regard than most here). I'm just saying that Moffat's intent should, by this point, be abundantly clear.

Which, I suppose, is as good a reason as any for him to step away, isn't it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Now come on, that looks GREAT! It just doesn't look real.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I... just.... what?

WHAT?! :psyduck:

Well it's not anti-immigration, is it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The trouble Doctor Who presently faces, has faced for years, and will continue to face until/unless it takes a rest from the mainstream for another 5-10 years, is that it has to be a blockbuster and an Event.

Of course, the opposite circumstance - Doctor Who as an evergreen but without a mandate to be interesting or the resources to (usually) aspire beyond children's teatime - ultimately brought about the programme's original demise.

But in the leadup and aftermath around The Cancellation, Who actually flourished! Seasons 25 and 26 are astonishing - I'd argue brilliant! - and while my opinion of the actual quality of the early Wilderness Years material is rather dim, the fervor and excitement and freedom of that pre-revival EU material makes for a strong argument in their favor (even if they're rarely actually, you know, enjoyable until Colin Baker starts recording audios).

Doctor Who is a series that, like its hero, thrives in crisis but is ill-suited to the everyday. Manic for revolution but uncomfortable with peace. There are no stories to tell in peacetime - you have to go looking for a fight, as the McCoy team did. They ran away with their blue box and set sights on Thatcher, and by got Cartmel and Company were fighting the Doctor's fight those two-and-a-bit years.

(... actually, "The Doctor as someone comfortable with action but not quite compatible with consequence is, perhaps, the closest thing to coherence The Zygon Inversion achieves. I'm pretty kind to that story, because I'm sympathetic to any production whose reach exceeds its grasp, bt even I have to admit that if it's trying to say any actual Thing about the real world, it fails. Of course, it doesn't manage to say that much coherent about Doctor Who, either, which is unfortunate for a sequel to an episode of Doctor Who that did an exceptional job of being about Doctor Who

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yes, exactly. The McCoy era didn't kill the show, the Cbakes years did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shades of Lucie Miller and Flip Jackson in this, which I quite enjoy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

alright, the Girl Who Asked Too Many Questions is okay right now but what's her super-destiny THIS time

Literally none of the companions have actually had "destinies" beyond what they bring about through their own actions. I'm sick to poo poo of this "why are they all so special" garbage. It's indistinguishable from "Rey is a mary sue".

God.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They had ARCS, yes, except that with the ARGUABLE exception of Amy's crack-adjacent childhood, all of those "destinies" were nothing of the sort. For instance, Clara's "impossibility" (as well as the "Bad Wolf" stuff with Rose) is the product of her own actions, and in Clara's case the little monicker is inextricably tied to Eleven's explicitly reductive and patronizing attitude towards her.

I'm so goddamn TIRED of having to explain this basic goddamn poo poo over and over again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I got kicked out of my aunt's house two weeks ago and only today got a place.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

What happened?

my mom, my dog, and I were used as a scapegoat for my aunt's terrible parenting of my 15-year-old cousin

we were living in my aunt's house

we aren't anymore

the new place is nice tho but the past two weeks have been kind of... liminal

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

That sucks man, hope it's all past you!

I'm feeling swell actually, it's nice to have a real home again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

What's "Welcome to Night Vale?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

skip The Weather

you mother fuckre

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DitF made me a devout Big Finish fan.

And then The Widow's Assassin destroyed my faith.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh jeez, Tom knows something we don't.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's ominous as all hell

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm of the apparently unique opinion that the meds thing is the ONLY thing wrong (inexcusably wrong, in fact) with Forest. Therefore, I'm cautiously optimistic about FCB's return, as long as he's more careful next time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well there's the one that looks EXACTLY like a penis, featured above, and then there's the one from that cave that very much HAD a penis, and whose penis Tom Baker very much fellated.

Oh and the half-dalek.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think Cranor's straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

erotic

• Locked thread