Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I finally got around to watching the Christmas special. It was okay, definitely far better than I expected it to be from the trailers. It felt a bit messy, though I can't really put my finger on why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The correct choice is still Anthony Stewart Head.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Season 2 of Broadchurch was bad except for whenever they let Olivia Colman act. The scene where she yelled at her son in an attempt to wrest back control over her life was pretty great.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh, hey, I found the Chameleon Circuit repair instructions

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have an only slightly peculiar "where to start" request. I have a friend who tried Who (revival), but eventually gave up a little after they got to Tennant. They really liked Eccleston, but also mentioned just generally not being fond of the show's tone. I kind of want to just show them one episode from Moffat's run to give them an idea of how the tone of the show drastically changed, and maybe get them to look at it again since I know their tastes and I think they'd like some of the later stuff (esp since the tone is markedly different from RTD Who).

Eleventh Hour is a typical Go To here, but I'm worried Smith's manicness may come across as too Tennant-ish maybe? I don't know if that's a legitimate concern. I think he might like Capaldi's curmudgeonness, but Capaldi doesn't have many super great episodes. Mummy is good, but feels like a story episode. Flatlined is good, but possibly too Doctor Lite -- also, Flatlined feels kind of like pre-Moffat Who in some ways to me. The Girl Who Waited is good, and Doctor Lite without being TOO Doctor Lite, and has Smith not really being manic. The only problem is that I'm worried you may not give a poo poo about Amy, and some of the episode's goodness lies in her having already been established as The Girl Who Waited in The Eleventh Hour.

I was really leaning towards Heaven Sent, with just the quick preface "the Doctor's long-time companion just died" which is probably sufficient since they know about the general Doctor/Companion dynamic so it doesn't require too much explanation, unlike with a total newbie. However, I just rewatched it, and it might be weird because the entire thing is kind of framed as Capaldi grieving/talking to dead Clara, which might not work if you don't know about her, even with that preface.

I'm probably overthinking this immensely, and assigning too much significant to minor continuity details, but I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts on these episodes' suitability, or even other episodes I hadn't considered.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

You accidentally posted a very good Doctor instead!

I don't think Kilgrave is even a doctor though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cabinet posted:

She asks the question of the universe

She is the source of the question "Doctor Who?"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's literally just a classic-style radio drama framed as a news cast based on largely Lovecraftian horror, albeit with a bit of a comedic tone. It's distributed as a podcast, but at heart it's no different from weekly radio shows. A segment of the internet is unduly obsessed with it, but it's definitely not bad. I think it's co-written by the same guy who wrote Instructions for a Help and That Insidious Beast on the SA main page however long ago.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

howe_sam posted:

Fun list to peruse though (really David Boreanaz, you -- or whoever did the submission -- think you deserve an Emmy?)

I can't wait for him to get his Emmy for the puppet cancer episode of Angel!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Second new companion confirmed:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Weeping Angels are the ones that mind control you if you hear them weeping, right? :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I found this in a comic shop. It appears to be part 2 of a two parter, but it still looks like a bit of a wild ride. Also, the section where they publish and respond to fan letters is hilarious. There are some strongly worded letters about Doctor Who in there.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Astroman posted:

How many of the letters are from New Series producers, actors and writers? :allears:

The only name that might be a known person is "Marc Campbell" who asked whether Doctor Who fans are called "Whoites", "Whoies", or "Whovians". But probably not since I think the one who wrote the guides is Mark Campbell. Though there weren't that many letters since one guy wrote an epic that took up a page and a half of their letter section droning on about random nonsense.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 31, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if there has been anything new in the spoiler thread, but the last I heard it was still set to be the Christmas special this year with the new companion, then one last season under Moffat before Chibnall takes over in 2018. As far as I know Capaldi is sticking around for the foreseeable future.

Literally all that's happened in the spoiler thread is a leaked episode title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is it just me or is Episode 6 of the new Black Mirror season just a Partners In Crime-tier Doctor Who episode where they forgot to add the Doctor?

• Locked thread