Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonderful chaps all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm a bigger who goon than any of you can ever hope to be and i was born in the wilderness years and this thread exists in my horrible shadow

I've seen pictures of you.

You are laughably tiny.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm 6 feet tall, I'm just lithe

You obviously do not understand what size I refer to smallman.

You are very skinny thus you are by no means the big Goon. This is the joke.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

please do not troll the Doctor Is Who thread in the Television IV, forums poster acne rain!!!!

You like using the word troll tonight.

I wonder if you'll find a way to work it into the other thread we inexplicably frequent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I even rewatched Midnight, in fact, to see if I was wrong, but it was still good...

Toxx at times dislikes good things and at times dislikes bad things.

When he does this is often random, and which is which is subjective.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

i refuse to seriouspost about doctors, who or otherwise, in this thread but nice try bicyclops

What about Mengele? He was a serious doctor. We can talk about him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

don't see how that guy is relevant to DW, burkion

You saw Hungry Earth right? I'm pretty sure you reviewed that one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The one with Mengelelizard, who the Doctor praises and buddies up with.

Vivisects people.

You know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

No...no that isn't ringing a bell, sorry

i think you must be mistaken, burkion. oh, wait, you're thinking of that Three story, right? yeah, i heard about that one

No, no, it's that one with the Smith who played the Doctor not the Doctor who pretended to be a Smith, and there was the red head. Liz wasn't a red head!

You should know better than that.

Also you're seriously rocking the blue forums background? Whatever man you do you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[Snowthing] OF THE DALEKS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

I'm writing a Thing and I need classic who experts to weigh in and confirm or deny

basically i have no idea what classic who is like, but from what i understand it was heavily serialized, with each season consisting of several stories consisting of multiple episodes each

six or more was not uncommon, four was roughly the norm

narratively speaking episodes didn't really function at all individually because they were explicitly parts of a greater whole

More than six is actually really rare, I can't think of any more than two examples. Even with the six, the good ones tend to break it up into being two different stories that go into one another.

Outside that it's GENERALLY true, like you'd find with any serialized work. Like, they weren't just heavily serialized, they were serials. Which have mostly gone away in modern days but you know.

The older seasons even tended to link the end of one serial to the start of another, though they stopped doing that after awhile.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

okay

followup

is the series nine episode "Under the Lake" like classic who

and i mean, outside of the MUST SEE CLASSICS or whatever. if you were to take an average episode of classic who would it, more or less, be like under the lake, and if not why not

It kind of does feel like it and in none of the good ways serialized story telling can be used.

Base under siege, extremely limited cast that gets quickly picked off, story that in no way is complete and is obviously missing stuff, and big cliff hanger ending.

On the plus side it actually has a story of its own, sort of, compared to the opening, where you could just skip that entirely and go straight to episode 2 and not lose anything.

EDIT: Hell it feels like it especially compared to the era of Classic Who that was composed of two parters, which wasn't very long but still.

I'd say more about that but you haven't' seen the rest of the season so I won't.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I think it must have something to do with the design of the space ship. That thing is 60s as hell.

It's actually really not.

That thing is straight up one of the stupid little shuttles from Star Trek Voyager with the innards hollowed out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DirtyRobot posted:

...which was based on the TOS one.

...from the 60s.

Voyager shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sacajawea

TOS shuttle: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Class_F_shuttlecraft

Look, I wasn't even aware they had shuttles on TOS.

Basically I am not a Star Trek fan.

I did see the one episode where the man went infinity speed and became a lizard then did it again to have sex with his captain and some how it was still really loving boring though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

That's like saying "I'm not a fan of Doctor Who, I did see that one with the twin math geniuses, though!"

and predictably it was still really loving boring.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Keys of Marinus :v:

I wouldn't say the two time periods interact that much in Under the Lake, and there are plenty of stories where the Doctor and the companion(s) are severely separated; Inferno is the most hyperbolic example, barring Keys's Doc Holiday.

Mission to the Unknown :v:

Off the top of my head,

The Daleks
Marco Polo
The Daleks Master Plan
Evil of the Daleks
The Invasion
The War Games
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno

Try harder! If anything, being more than six episodes long is the sign of a classic. Certainly the best hit rate of any arbitrary criterion I can think of (assuming I haven't forgotten any stinkers (Trial doesn't count))

Of those I counted the Daleks Master Plan and War Games exclusively just becuase I knew they were 12 and 10.

I honestly forgot so much of the Third Doctor's opening season was comprised of 8 parters because of how drat good the pacing was, and the rest I just chucked off to "8 episodes that's silly. You either go to the extreme of 10 (or 12) or you just have 6!" Because my memory is the best thingever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well

gently caress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Who is Chibnall and why does he make you mad

Cold Blood Hungry Earth 42 The Magician's Apprentice The Power of Three

(And Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no

Oh no

Oh no

I'm sorry Moffat

You don't have to go

Please

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

I didn't actively dislike or detest those episodes but none of them had anything absolutely rave worthy great.
Except I was one of the few that really liked 42, it was among my favorites of that season.

Anyway we'll just have to hope he directs other writers and the budgets a little better, if he can get some better material out of the standalone episodes then things will be fine. I mean, remember all of Moffat's pre-showrunner episodes were high marks but except for season 5 that didn't make for a better all round show.

Also Cyberwoman as pointed out above.

And apparently Broadchurch season 2 is awful though I don't know how much of that is his fault and have nothing more than second hand info on that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

Does this mean the post-Clara companion is also leaving after season ten because that'd be kind of even more amusing to me than having to follow Amy and Clara.

Likely not?

We don't even know what Capaldi will be doing. It's possible he will be leaving with the next Christmas special and Moffat gets to introduce a third Doctor...but hopefully not.

Capaldi deserves a season's send off. Which this last season most definitely was not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh my, that's a lot of posts. Who's said something controversial I wonder if anyone bought me a BRCT for my Zygon posts oh god

It's okay.

I've prepared the bunker.

We just need to strong arm Mugabe into releasing more Troughton and fine pick the BF releases and we'll be safe for like, six more years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is the man who now has Doctor Who in his hands.

Burn everything down and start a new. It is our only hope.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

Okay, so where's the idea that Capaldi's leaving with Moffat coming from? I don't see any hard evidence of that anywhere. Indeed, given how Moffat himself said that it was extraordinarily difficult to handle becoming the new showrunner and inaugurating a new Doctor simultaneously, I'd expect him to do his best to get Peter to stay on for at least one season of Chibnall's run just to help smooth the transition.

Well it's coming from the little known source of Capaldi talking about how his time on Who is likely not going to be much longer because of a lot of reasons, and it being a full two years until Chibnall takes over.

Frankly, while what you propose is the most hopeful thing, the other extreme is just as likely.

Capaldi could bow out with the Christmas Special this year like Smith did during his year off. Only it'd hurt far more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

And he was the handsomest Doctor. :allears:

Ahem.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder what will happen first. The Doctor being Not White but a man or the Doctor being a woman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

If 13's going to be female and I absolutely think they've been pushing it that way for a while (Clara as the Doctor's stand-in, Missy, the General), I really hope it's after Moffat's gone because IIRC the man has got some major league issues writing female characters.

On the other hand I dread them making a Doctor defined mostly on her sex appeal, which is what happens with a lot of female action leads. Sigh.

I'm infinitely more worried about what Chibnall might do.

Remember. This is the man who thought Cyberwoman was a good idea.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, especially since Big Finish do a really loving good job at producing that voice effect in a way that actually sounds creepy. Given that Nicholas Briggs does the Cybermen voices on television just like he does the Daleks, I'm surprised that they haven't at least given it a go.

I'm genuinely surprised we haven't seen Older Cybermen around.

It's just a matter of time travel for the love of God. How does the Doctor ALWAYS meet whatever the current model of Cybermen is in his time line.

You could lob this at the old show, but at least with the Second Doctor the dude met many different iterations of them of arguable ages and variations.

Like Daleks, sure fine. They have time travel, of course they sync up with the Doctor. Cybermen do not have time travel.

I'd really love for some REALLY old school Tomb or Invasion era Cybermen to run into Modern Cybermen and decry them for no longer being Mondas people.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Huh.

So the Netflix thing was commented on but this was not. Apparently the BBC has taken both modern and Classic Doctor Who not just from Netflix, but also Hulu.

That's kind of lovely of them. Like, Modern Who I can understand. Why would they do that with Classic Who? That's the only reliable way to actually watch it legally.

Hopefully they'll get something going on their end that won't be needlessly complicated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am not a fan of Modern (Modern) Cybermen design because they just look like Ironman clones to me. They also can act like Iron Man clones so you know.

Mind you their various super powers outside of flight only showed up in Nightmare in Silver and was nowhere to be seen in season 8.

I'm actually kind of dissapointed that Clara never ran into the Cybermen again. Would have been a neat kick in the teeth for her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Genesis is relevant to season 9!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Which Doctor Who villain do you think Donald Trump is? I find it kind of hard to choose.

Sil

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Just finished Planet of the Spiders and moved on to Robot.

I'll miss Pertwee - I feel like his run got stronger as it went. Towards his last season/series his performance started to suggest that he was a pretty significant influence for Matt Smith's interpretation, beyond the ties, even.

And you guys weren't kidding about the chase scenes. I want to see that 25 part horse chase with his mate Roger, now that I have seen the helicopter/hovercraft/hovercraft/helicopter/speedboat/hovercraft chase.

I wonder how much longer Pertwee would have gone, should Roger Delgado have never died.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

The second War Doctor set is officially released and can be downloaded now. Sadly, I am stuck at work for a few more hours!

Suck it up, you'll get to it.

Savor the wait. SAVOR IT

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why did JNT pick Six's outfit the way he did anyways

The rest of the Twin Dilemma's sins we won't lay at his feet, but that was his choice to make Six look utterly ridiculous right? Because I know that was one of the stated reasons that one rear end in a top hat from the BBC gave for ultimately hating and killing the show

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno.

I think Who hit its stride, effects wise, in the 70s and its been a down hill tumble since then. There was a solid point for a little while there where they were lowbudget enough to be low budget, but everything else was so lovely that it didn't matter. Then the quality gap kicked in and left the show in the dust.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I'm getting tired of the relentless negativity this thread constantly has for Day of the Doctor! I can't believe I was literally the only person who liked it, I guess I just don't watch Doctor Who "right".

Love you so much

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Picklepuss posted:

I hope I'm not alone in thinking she was also incredibly sexy. :shobon:

You have to do a lot to ruin the attractiveness of an especially attractive lady.

Most of the time you can only enhance it.

Unless you're Batman and Robin and some how reduce Uma loving Therman into the least sexy, ugliest thing to ever live.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Heard he was a bit of a fanboy, he'll never make it in this business!

His accent is ridiculous. It's too bad he wasn't English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

If Chibnall is using the lead-up time he's been given to produce an amazing initial season ala Moffat that would be so great. I mean, it's highly unlikely based on his prior work, but Broadchurch's first season was something he poured his heart and soul into and that worked out fantastically until it proved so popular that he got asked to actually follow up on what he started.

Maybe

Maybe he'll just do one season

And then give it to some one else

• Locked thread