Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
that's a bit poo poo if we're getting nothing but a christmas special this year, and its incredibly annoying that this has happened twice in three years. My one hope is that this leads to them moving the thing to the Spring, because then it'd be a slightly shorter wait plus they'd be much more likely to get a slightly earlier time slot which would be slightly better for the show

Enourmo posted:

please let there be a retcon that copletely undoes 11 and 12. the show deals in time shennanigans it wouldnt be hard at all. its the least they could do.

this is the worst idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've just finished watching the first series of old Doctor Who and thought it was quite fun: the best stories I thought were The Daleks and The Aztecs; especially the latter since it actually moved along at a half decent pace. The historicals were generally stronger than the sci-fi ones for some reason; they just seemed to be slightly less padded and drawn out. An example of that is The Sensorites; when it finally gets going its not that bad but you could probably combine the first two episodes into one and make it work slightly better. The only real stinker is Keys of Marinus, I got what they were trying to do and , but you could tell that it was done on a budget of 2p per episode and the ones in the middle without Hartnell really don't work.

And More posted:

The Chimes of Midnight
A very intriguing concept with an utterly unsatisfying conclusion. The culprit shouldn't have to explain who they are at the end. Any emotional impact gets lost in a big, ugly plot dump. 2/5

literally the first bad chimes of midnight review i've ever seen

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 26, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Explaining the return of Susan wouldn't be too hard. If you went into detail about the Eighth Doctor/Susan Big Finish stories (she's a big part of the last two EDA stories; that's all you need to know) then it might get a little complicated; but I'd imagine that they'd just sidestep that by not referencing it while not outright denying that it happened.

It could work and honestly it wouldn't be the most continuity heavy thing that Moffat has done, and "the Doctor has a family" is something that has been mentioned on the programme before, although he thinks that they are all dead. It'd actually probably be easier than bringing back Ace from that perspective; if only because the "ending" of Ace is confusing because of the various mediums its been told in - Big Finish seem to be working from the being sent to Gallifrey route in the New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield and Gallifrey series; while they had something else planned for the Sarah Jane Adventures. Even then it'd be possible, you just be vague about exactly what she did after leaving the Doctor. I think its unlikely though; the reason that Sarah Jane worked was because she was the Doctor Who companion that was the most remembered and was in the public consciousness more than any other; while Ace comes from the end of the show that, while being very good, had ratings that weren't great. Could be wrong though!

The one total fanwank thing that I'd really like to see Moffatt do would be a multi-Doctor thing with the Eighth Doctor; I think he's the only classic Doctor that isn't too old to return to the role and I can't really imagine anything with McGann and Capaldi being that bad.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd love to see a way to get Miles Richardson as Brax interacting with Capaldi in someway.

we've had "The Doctor's Wife" and "The Doctor's Daughter"; I'm pretty sure we'll get "The Doctor's Brother" at some point in the future :v:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

whenever they want really; they spread releases throughout the month

you get preorder prices right through to the end of the month though

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

plus the doctor who dvds generally have some pretty good special features which you don't get elsewhere

Weren't netflix using unrestored versions for some reason? I can remember going to watch the Aztecs on it a wee while back and they certainly were using a version that doesn't look anywhere near as nice as the DVD versions

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Like there's a bad Fifth Doctor story.

time-flight

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

yeah for all the flak that JNT gets he's basically the reason why it wasn't cancelled three years earlier; without him we wouldn't have had McCoy as the Seventh Doctor and some of the great stuff that he was in. I mean with the stories that you hear about how difficult the end of Trial of a Timelord was who'd have blamed him if he'd gone "gently caress this" and moved onto something else. I mean the last part of the thing is probably the only Pip and Jane thing that you can't totally blame them for being terrible!

Lots of the McCoy stories actually look less cheap than most Doctor Who despite the fact that around that time they were probably getting a budget smaller than they'd have had for a long time - this is perhaps because they were able to use a lot more location filming which helped to hide the cheapness? I mean McCoy's last series is pretty much all set on Earth and I'm imagine that would help to keep costs down, although I don't work in television so I could be totally wrong!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

OTOH, if JN-T hadn't got carried away with playing to the adoring fanbase and taking conventions to America, he could have moved on with no problem at all when Peter Davison left, while the show was still popular enough for another BBC producer to have wanted to take the job...

I still think that it would have struggled in that period even if someone else was in charge: the problem wasn't so much JNT but the fact that lots of the BBC execs didn't like Doctor Who and felt that it didn't match with what they were trying to do at the time

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

If we're talking about Big Finish stuff the Jago & Litefoot series I've listened to are absolutely fantastic and well worth picking up. They're on the expensive side of Big Finish stuff (£30 per set) but the first few series at least are almost perfect in every way - excellent scripts, a fantastic permanent cast (especially Baxter and Benjamin, but Lisa Bowerman and Conrad Asquith are also very good) and generally very good and the sound design very is excellent and fits the sort of stories that they are telling. They'll occasionally put them on sale, and the Companion Chronicle that sparked the thing is relatively cheap and very good, its a Companion Chronicle so it only uses two actors but its done so well that it doesn't hurt the thing at all. There's also Jago, Litefoot and Strax which is the normal price for a monthly release: it adds in Strax from the new series and I've heard good things about it, although I've not listened to it yet so can't comment more strongly than that. Its probably the most consistently good Big Finish range in that so far (I'm just starting series 3) there hasn't been any total stinkers yet: in fact there hasn't really been a bad episode...

pinacotheca posted:

It's probably fair to say that something like The Twin Dilemma doesn't match with anything anyone was trying to do at the time.

The majority of the problems with mid-80s Who - e.g. the show being aimed at fans rather than the general public; too many pedestrian directors who were able to get the show recorded and delivered ASAP, as long as you didn't mind it looking like an episode of Are You Being Served; only using tried and tested writers if there was absolutely no other alternative; astonishingly one-dimensional companions; an insistence on all jokes being removed from scripts; the Doctor wearing the same thing every week (complete with silly question marks on everything), and so on - were all decisions made by JNT. Nobody forced him to put Colin in that coat. Nobody pointed a gun at him and ordered him to produce Warriors of the Deep, when they only had 2 weeks to do it in and he should have known that wasn't long enough.

Any producer taking over Dr Who in 1980 would have had a huge challenge on their hands, sure, but the likes of Attack of the Cybermen and Timelash are completely self-inflicted wounds.

honestly i can agree with most of those problems with that era of Doctor Who, although it seemed to especially fall off the rails when Baker got made the Doctor. Although my understanding was that lots of the reliance on the history of the programme was more of a Saward thing rather than JNT: as was the increasing violence that happened pre-hiatus which was one of the reasons used to rest the thing. Its interesting that the last few years of Doctor Who don't really have them; perhaps that could be because JNT deferred a lot more to Cartmel or that something changed in the way that he handled things.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

yeah, here's one of his best songs imo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

And More posted:

I actually really like K-9.

i don't see how this totally correct opinion is in any way a dirty little secret

unless you're talking about that weird tv series, in which case you are incredibly wrong

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

vegetables posted:

explicitly making the Classic and New versions of the show the same has led to most of the best things in the New one becoming downplayed.

but they've both explicitly been the same show since the start? certainly since "school reunion", which I think is one of the best episodes of New Who and - I was still a kid at the time (13 or 14 I think) but I thought that it was cool that they were bringing back people who'd been in the original show, although I probably cared more about K9 than Sarah Jane since i liked the idea of the Doctor having a robot dog as a pet.

I do think that they handled the return of Doctor Who very well in that they took the chance to drop lots of the cruft that Doctor Who had picked up over the years and in a way started from the beginning - there was an element of mystery about the whole time war thing that they had to remove at some point - they milked it for ten years and it was a perfect thing to talk about for the fiftieth anniversary. The 1996 film and the original plan for the BBC/Fox series show just how badly a reboot could have gone: they tried to make things more complicated than "The Doctor is a timelord who regenerates who's generally a cool dude. He travels from time and space in a London police box, usually with a companion who is almost always a human women." They had a load of nonsense about Gallifrey and the Doctor's family which was terrible: most Doctor Who things involving Gallifrey aren't that good for various reasons.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i'm in the middle of watching dalek invasion of earth, please don't spoil the 50 year old story for me

i'm currently two episodes in (i generally watch an episode before going to bed, it makes the thing last slightly longer and it also helps to make those stories that are padded to gently caress slightly better) and I'm currently digging it, and I think it'll get better as it goes since it starts out really quite slow. It looks really good considering how small the budget of the show was, I think the fact that they did a lot more location filming that normal for a First Doctor story helps a load though

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Guy: "[Barbara] says she can cook. And what do you do?"
Susan: "I eat"

also this was very good

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Picklepuss posted:

If there's any good thing about having impaired hearing, it's that I've not been spent all my money on Big Finish audios. :shobon: I have picked landmarks up like I, Davros and Spare Parts and made it through them, but trying to listen was too much of a struggle to justify regular purchases.

I wish BF included PDFs of the script with each story so that I could follow along, rather like closed captioning.

for the later ones you get a PDF of the script if you subscribe: but I dunno how early that starts and you'd have to put down £50+ quid at a time, so its probably not worth bothering unless there's a run of interesting stories at a time that you'll be interested in.

Its actually a pretty good deal if you're interested in a run of monthly stories: it reduces the cost to about £9 per story regardless of whether you do a six or a twelve story one (they're both very similar: the twelve release one is slightly more expensive if you ignore the fact that you get a "bonus" release, which I'm pretty sure is limited to companion chronicles and such things). i did it last year for the locum Doctors trilogy since it worked out only a few quid more to subscribe and get six rather than buy three separately: and if I can get the money together I'm definitely doing it for the Two Masters trilogy thing and the three Seventh Doctor/Mel/Ace stories afterwards since both sound very interesting and I'm very intrigued as to exactly how the Ace/Mel stuff is going to work.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Strictly Come Dancing gets shorter every week, but I could be wrong. That's the reason why its been on so late: they aren't going to move around their biggest show but rather everything around it. There was also the Rugby World Cup earlier on in the series, I think that's the reason why one of the episodes went out at 9 which is way too late

Hopefully moving to the spring lets them get an earlier regular slot: especially since they won't have The Voice or any big reality show to push them around...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

wait I was speaking a load of rubbish: the Rugby World Cup was on STV and not the BBC. Dunno how I forgot that!

Still they might have moved it around to avoid clashing, you probably wouldn't want your big Saturday Night shows going against England's rugby team if you could avoid it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I think so, although I don't know whether they'll have every episode available.

I think that the classic Doctor Who DVDs are still good value, they aren't that expensive (at least here, dunno about America) and they usually come with good special features and the like. Also it makes sure that you don't lose them when the BBC fall out with whatever video source you are using!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

who on earth would spend $60 on loving Time Fight? Here they had to bundle it with the first story of the next series to get anyone to buy it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They're currently £6 on Amazon UK, the newer and longer ones are probably slightly more. That's pretty decent; although I don't know how much shipping would be

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

greententacle posted:

But then you couldn't have the books & audios filling the gaps inbetween TV stories!

They'd find a way: Big Finish has a habit of sticking their audio releases in odd places including between episodes that lead into another one. There's an audio between The Sensorites and The Reign of Terror (basically they manage to fix it by making the Doctors reaction at the end of the audio the same as the end of the Sensorites; it's a bit of a bodge) and they've sometimes done audio releases set entirely in the middle of a TV story.

The Tenth Doctor audio series is next month, right? I'm intrigued about what it will be like: I hope that it'll be good: its nice to see that there's no Nick Briggs or Daleks, just three stories that seem relatively self-contained. The one thing that I hope is that they take some risks with the range in the future rather than being incredibly risk-averse like they are with the Fourth Doctor range.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Astroman posted:

Yeah, Ace is a bad example because she was the first Companion With A Special Destiny and Secret Origins. She was Clara before Clara Clara'd. Except it was probably a splinter of Clara that set up the lab explosion that blew her through time and space to Iceworld. :v:

nah that was Fenric although that might be Big Finish stuff that isn't technically canon, although honestly who gives a poo poo for Doctor Who canon; its a programme which has shown three totally different reasons for Atlantis disappearing among other contradictory stuff, and most Doctor Who episodes that try to fix canon stuff are awful (example: Attack of the Cybermen)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Battlefield would be a pretty average story if it wasn't for the two Brigadiers being awesome characters

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the government are hinting at some changes they might propose to the BBC charter that might effect Doctor Who - basically amending the charter so that the BBC have to "take account" of the commercial stations when scheduling which might effectively lead to them not putting popular programmes on on Saturday evenings. The arguing over scheduling thing isn't the worst part about this with the iplayer and similar things making traditional TV scheduling increasingly obsolete; its just another example of Tory meddling in the running of what is supposed to be an independent public broadcaster and it could one day lead to them trying to limit the programmes that the BBC are allowed to make.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Well, we have some good news for you then!

Well, perhaps not necessarily good...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Didn't some old Doctor Who props somehow end up in the original Star Wars films?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Going back to the TV movie blu-ray for a second; it sounds like its an upscale of the original TV tape master and not a rescan of the original film bits; which is a little disappointing but totally expected - they filmed it, then put it on tape for editing and effects work. To do that poo poo after rescanning the film would cause a fortune, certainly more than they'd get back from the release. It'll still look nicer than the DVD versions even if only because professional upscales will always do better than your DVD player would, but I'd personally hold off until people say how it looks before jumping in. Its probably not going to be like Spearhead from Space where there's an incredibly clear quality difference (they had to film that because of a strike at the BBC by the engineers union over demanding more money to work on colour programmes and the original negatives survive; meaning that they can get something that's very close to HD and which looks really good); fixing the slight speedup would be grand but who knows if they actually plan to do that...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I remember liking A Death In The Family quite a bit; that might partially be because Evelyn is in it and there are some quite nice moments between her and Hex.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Just based on the name I'd guess that

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's a shame the early Benny stuff is CD only because it went downhill right as they made downloads available. Honestly you could probably start from the latest one or the first New Adventures one, they don't really reference much from the past despite being very much about Benny.

For those who are willing to get CDs there are a few from that first series which are really underrated and really worth the amount that they charge for them - Oh No It Isn't is silly but since it's basically a Pantomime then it really has to be, it uses the Grel well plus it has Nicholas Courtney playing a talking cat; I really liked Just War a lot; it's basically a story set during the Nazi occupation of the channel Islands, it does need the two before it to explain a few things though. Luckily those are also OK, the one with Liz Sladen is good and the one after that with Colin Baker is OK, although he does an awful Russian accent. The other two are a load of balls that you can skip without much worry. Later ones cost a bit more and you can miss bits without the expensive books but you can get the general gist, and from what I've heard so far it's generally pretty good until the reboot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

There is something else that that could mean but I'm not going to get too excited about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

you could have him standing in front of the tardis

• Locked thread