Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Rochallor posted:

b) it's a really deep bit of continuity to rely on.
I've seen this sort of apprehension before but I'm not sure why the character's previous appearances in Classic Who would be a problem. All that needs to be established when and if she reappears is that she's his granddaughter, they left Gallifrey together, and that the Doctor's not seen her for a very long time. That could be done within a few lines of dialogue.

I mean surely no one who watched Friends was baffled whenever Rachel Green's sister April showed up for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Is that even Barrowman's torso? It looks like they glued the mutton chops to his face and then his face on someone else's body.
My first thought was Harry Sullivan and Jack had a transmat accident and were merged into a single person.

Jerusalem posted:

The only reason I can think is because he is played by Nigel Planer (best known as Neil from The Young Ones) in reference to his membership in spoof rock band Bad News.
I'm guessing he doesn't sing "Hole in my Shoe" at any point during the audio, which is a pity.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 3, 2016

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I agree, especially since Big Finish do a really loving good job at producing that voice effect in a way that actually sounds creepy. Given that Nicholas Briggs does the Cybermen voices on television just like he does the Daleks, I'm surprised that they haven't at least given it a go.
The latest TV Cyberman voice is terrible. It sounds like the batteries in a Dalek toy are running low.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I mean this not in a cruel way, but.... does it really matter? We know what the psychic paper does, does it really need an "origin" story? It's fun to explore the world of Doctor Who and all, but not everything needs a highly detailed origin story or explanation, I feel like going down that path leads to nonsense like the old Star Wars extended universe before that was mercifully removed from existence.
Just last week I persuaded a friend who's only ever seen the revival program to watch An Unearthly Child and The Daleks with me. He enjoyed both stories but was baffled when the Doctor didn't use his sonic screwdriver at any point in the Dalek City.

After I told him that came later with the 2nd Doctor, he asked me which story he invents or acquires it in and I said as far as I know there isn't one. My friend said that was "lame".

So, you know, mileages vary.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure there's at least one televised story where the Doctor is either on Gallifrey or meets another Time Lord, and they casually mention,"Oh yeah Leela is happy and doing great but she's off over somewhere else at the moment."

I think it might have been a 5th Doctor story, maybe The Arc of Infinity?
For the longest time I liked to imagine that Leela and Rodan were the ones who fell in love, and that Andred was Leela's *ahem* merkin. Then the drat books and audios ruined it for me. :argh:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Whereas I have but I can't remember a drat thing about it. It's incredibly forgettable.
I don't know, it does have that wonderful moment where the Doctor has had enough of Adric's stupidity.

"Now listen to me, you young idiot. You're not so much gullible as idealistic. I suppose it comes from your deprived delinquent background..."

Over the following years I was disappointed that we didn't see that side of Davison's Doctor more often.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

See that just feels like one hundred percent left over Baker script to me.
Wasn't Four to Doomsday the first story Davison filmed? If so that would probably explain it, I figure the writers hadn't found his incarnation's "voice" yet and were still writing for the previous Doctor.

Still, I'd have liked an occasional flash of temper like that... although admittedly his Doctor wasn't one of my favorites so what might have worked for me probably wouldn't have appealed to the people who did like him.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

I just found out about this 'Class' spinoff and I think I must be reading it wrong because they can't really be making a spinoff about the idiot students from Clara's school fighting aliens can they
It could be worse. They could bring Angie and Artie from Nightmare in Silver back as students.

"I'M BORED!"

Neil Gaiman must have been so proud.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

I know that fundamentally he's still the same man...but every time the War Doctor behaves exactly like any other incarnation of the Doctor would, it really undermines the "broke the promise" thing; makes me wonder why the 9th through 11th incarnations refused to acknowledge that incarnation's existence.

EDIT: Just rewatched a bit of Day, 11 even says that the War Doctor was a man who "had more blood on his hands than any other". So far they haven't let the War Doctor directly do much killing at all...
That was my disappointment with his character in Day of the Doctor was well. By the time it was over my partner and I both agreed that McCoy's Doctor (especially the sociopathic version in the books) often came across more cold-blooded and ruthless than the War Doctor did. I mean at worst the War Doctor just seemed like a cuddly old codger. Heck, on hindsight even Capaldi's Doctor is more nasty in general.

So yeah, we were both very underwhelmed.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

jivjov posted:

True; but it'll get a bit silly if she runs into 4-8 and always has to give an alias and talk through a voice box or whatever.
Sadly in audio we'll be deprived the image of River wearing a fake handlebar mustache, but I do look forward to hearing her disguise her voice with an outrageous accent.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

The highlight of the supporting cast is easily veteran actress and dancer Judith Paris, whose lithe and agile form is perfect to portray the bloodless, gem-encrusted alien warlord Eldrad.  Easily one of the most unique looking antagonists in the history of Doctor Who, the female form of Eldrad is a mix of villain and sympathetic figure.
I hope I'm not alone in thinking she was also incredibly sexy. :shobon:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Remember when you told me that there was so much classic Who I haven't watched? So much?

Welcome to the club. :getin:
If there's any good thing about having impaired hearing, it's that I've not been spent all my money on Big Finish audios. :shobon: I have picked landmarks up like I, Davros and Spare Parts and made it through them, but trying to listen was too much of a struggle to justify regular purchases.

I wish BF included PDFs of the script with each story so that I could follow along, rather like closed captioning.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Stuporstar posted:

I don't trust his ability to edit, plot a main arc, or anything about his "vision", as revealed by how unsympathetic he can make any character he's writing for. If he can't edit, not only are his scripts consistently awful, but other writers won't get the editing they need. So, no. I'm not going to give him a single episode as showrunner, but I'm only giving up on the show so long as he's at the helm.
Each time I was subjected to one of Chibnall's terrible Who stories or the garbage that was Torchwood I thought of that infamous Open Air featuring him and the other members of the Liverpool Doctor Who Appreciation Society. Oh, the irony.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

cargohills posted:

You have very unusual taste if you think he's worse than JNT.
I actually agree with Stuporstar. :shobon: Not to the extent I won't give the next season / series a try, but I'm very, very skeptical that it will be any good.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Toxxupation posted:

i mean tbf the specific way i watch it exacerbates the issues but i really don't like really not liking watching doctor who
Speaking as someone who's been a Doctor Who fangirl since '80 or so, this was the first season I ever watched all the way through only because I've made it too far to give up now. I only stuck with it out of stubbornness. :(

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

If you made it through Trial of a Time Lord for any reason other than stubbornness then I'm sort of impressed.
Eh, it was one of those things where I expected the finale to make sense of everything I'd been subjected to and reward me for having stuck with it. Fans of Lost probably feel my pain.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Ok, fine, I'm being a little harsh, but I maintain that Vervoids is unwatchable dreck.
Really? That was the only one I remember enjoying. Well, I take that back. Mysterious Planet was OK, I guess.

Mindwarp on the other hand... that one was so awful I've only watched it twice, and the second time was because my partner had never seen it. If it weren't for BRIAN BLESSED's scenery-chewing performance, I'd have probably let her watch it by herself.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're allowed to have different opinions on things
:confused:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Counterpoint - the Hinchcliffe era of the late 70's was loving AMAZING from a visual standpoint. The Masque of Mandragora easily has the best looking scenery and costumes in the show's history.
Don't forget the jungle setting in Planet of Evil. :cool:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Now come on, that looks GREAT! It just doesn't look real.
That's true, in its own surreal way The Web Planet is as wonderfully strange as Le Voyage dans la Lune (which I first watched to Pink Floyd's "Echoes" courtesy of Night Tracks).

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Troughton, Jamie and Victoria are the third best trio in the show's history. The second best is 11, Amy and Rory. The best, of course, is Troughton, Jamie and Zoe.

Oddly enough, the fourth best is 6, Jamie and Peri!
I'd say both the 4th Doctor, Sarah, and Harry and the 4th Doctor, any Romana, and K-9 should rate highly in the trio rankings, but I'm afraid it makes me look like a raving 4th Doctor fangirl when it's really just I like those teams. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I reckon it'll be Steven Moffat writing himself in.
He pretty much did when he created a mean-spirited Scottish 12th Doctor, so he might as well just walk onto the set at this point.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 21, 2016

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

qntm posted:

Road safety, perhaps?
Incorporate Series 8 into it: Danny Pink Didn't SPLINK

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

It's nice that some PBS station is still carrying that torch. Do they follow it with episodes of Blake's 7 as is only appropriate?
For me it's just not the same without each episode being followed by Jack Horkheimer: Star Hustler.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

Aha, you may not be interested in politics, but politics is interested in you :smuggo:
:zoid: "hooray, someone is interested in me!"

Jsor posted:

I have an only slightly peculiar "where to start" request. I have a friend who tried Who (revival), but eventually gave up a little after they got to Tennant. They really liked Eccleston, but also mentioned just generally not being fond of the show's tone. I kind of want to just show them one episode from Moffat's run to give them an idea of how the tone of the show drastically changed, and maybe get them to look at it again since I know their tastes and I think they'd like some of the later stuff (esp since the tone is markedly different from RTD Who).
If he liked Dalek then you can show him the remake, Cold War.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 8, 2016

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well a handful of the major villains, some guys from Torchwood and SJA and a hodgepodge of one-offs from the early days.
I remember wondering how Weevils contributed to the plan, or if they were just there as Underhenge janitors.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Hasn't he said before that he doesn't want to do impressions of his dad?
According to this Radio Times article he'd be honored to play the Third Doctor, but terrified at the same time:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-05/sean-pertwee-it-would-be-an-honour-to-play-my-dads-version-of-the-doctor

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/723122358597332992

I think the real question is where did he get that empty cup. I don't see any tea.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

pinacotheca posted:

No, we won't be able to. But I say The Lazarus Experiment, anyway.
To quote Peri, "yuck".

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It is, but it's a fun character piece with Davison playing cricket and costume party in the past. It "feels" like Doctor Who without being particularly stand out or terrible.
Poor Sarah Sutton, I watched that one with the commentary and if I remember right she liked Black Orchid but Davison and Fielding kept making fun of everything.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

pinacotheca posted:

Nightmare of Eden itself isn't great, but Lewis Fiander's bizarre Germanic accent is genuinely compelling television.
I loved that story and this exchange in particular.

ROMANA: How many were on your ship?
TRYST: Ah, well, to begin with there was ten, but we lost one.
ROMANA: How?
TRYST: He died.
ROMANA: How did he die?
TRYST: He died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

Anyone who likes the idea of RTD's Midsummer Night's Dream should toddle over to the Globe Player, where you can see their smoulderingly gay 2013 production of that play for £5.99 to rent or £9.99 to buy. Or, even better there's the all-male gay-turned-up-to-11 Mark Rylance Twelfth Night for the same price, a production so good I saw it about six times. Also has Stephen Fry giving his Malvolio. Have a free Youtube clip, I insist.

edit: they've also got the excellent Doctor Faustus that had Arthur Darvill as Mephistopheles.
What about those of us who liked the idea of "a passionate kiss at the end between two leading female characters which is certainly not in the source text either"? The best part being "at the end" because that leaves no time for either character to be subsequently murdered. :shobon:

• Locked thread