Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Brass is $4.99 today. Worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TraderStav posted:

Brass is $4.99 today. Worth it?
if you like heavy euros, yeah. It's difficult to get into but rewarding once you know how to play it.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Alien Frontiers is a cool board game on IOS. It's a worker placement where your workers are dice that you have rolled and the numbers you roll determine where you can put your dice/workers. I believe this mechanic has been done before but it works well in this game. There is also a good amount of player interaction for a Euro-ish game.

Only downside is there is no tutorial, but it's pretty easy to grasp if you watch a youtube how-to-play video.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

andrew smash posted:

When will someone hurry the gently caress up and make a Mage knight app ffs

app size limitations are still way off hahaha

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

jubelio posted:

Are they? The Hearthstone installer on iOS is a 1.04 GB download. I know most US carriers won't let you pull down a 50+ MB app over mobile data, but is there a limit in the AppStore itself to how big something can be for even wifi download?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Come back, Gerry P. Jon Bravespear!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

jubelio posted:

Yeah, that's not true at all. Unless it's a joke, in which case, ha.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Beelzebozo posted:

Are they? The Hearthstone installer on iOS is a 1.04 GB download. I know most US carriers won't let you pull down a 50+ MB app over mobile data, but is there a limit in the AppStore itself to how big something can be for even wifi download?

I was mainly just joking about how big a file would have to be to fit all of mage knight in it. I would love to see it on iOS too!

On another subject,

do people still visit pocket tactics since the whole 'we got bought a few months ago by a major strategy developer and havent said anything about it' thing?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I stopped visiting because the only joke bigger than ios gaming is the ios gaming thread. There's just no need for a news feed about ios games when it's months in between worthwhile titles.

Good for Owen, though!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Xenoshyft. Saw it on Pocket Tactics. Anyone try it on iphone?

braveplan
May 1, 2013

Beelzebozo posted:

Come back, Gerry P. Jon Bravespear!

LOL, that's me.

poo poo, I think I changed to group name for everybody...

braveplan fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 21, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I did a fun thing last night! I went to a special playtest of physical board game+app, Fabulous Beasts. I figure there's enough crossover that it's relevant here. It's about to be launched on Kickstarter in a few days, and the version I played was still a little rough around the edges (all 3D printed pieces still) but hopefully it's all worked out soon.

So the white base is your play area, and you scan the animals/elements/miracles on the rfid bit of the base, which registers them on the app, and adds them to the in-game world, and then you stack them on the white circle.

The white Xs and arrows crossbreed the creatures or move them from their element to another (land/sea/sky) and it all adds up, points-wise, along with things you do on the app while trying to stack things and not have the whole thing topple over. It's a great cooperative game, although I can't see it being cheap when the Kickstarter, uh, starts.

Site: http://playfabulousbeasts.com

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It looks like a cute dexterity game with a lot of superfluous bullshit.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Exploding Kittens has a mobile app now that works locally, much like SpaceTeam. 2 bucks per phone, and the themed IAP is free for the first few days. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan to later tonight. Great game for people who like to be devious with friends.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1040227414

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nybble posted:

Exploding Kittens has a mobile app now that works locally, much like SpaceTeam. 2 bucks per phone, and the themed IAP is free for the first few days. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan to later tonight. Great game for people who like to be devious with friends.

I respectfully disagree.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nybble posted:

It's really a terrible game. Play UNO instead.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nybble posted:

Great game for people who like to be devious with friends.

Not the best ad copy I've seen. Maybe be really devious and play subterfuge instead.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

sonatinas posted:

Not the best ad copy I've seen. Maybe be really devious and play subterfuge instead.

Given the length of a game of Subterfuge, you can play both!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My sister looooooves the Oatmeal and we still weren't able to have fun when we played that game with her.

If you must play it you kind of have to have a physical copy so you can have people around a table and show your cards and go "hey I got a funny oatmeal nonjoke". At least once.

But anyway it's a pretty bad game even if you like Oatmeal jokes.

If you want to "be devious with friends" I prefer stuff like Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity, where everyone is interacting by building the jokes with the cards as tools.
Kittens you are just showing Oatmeals premade jokes and there's not as much interaction between cards or people or anything.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
For the record, I do hate the cartoony theme and "hur dicks" jokes. Not an Oatmeal fan, but I do enjoy the core game. Knowing when to set someone up with the bomb after you've drawn it, figuring out how to avoid a placed bomb, using your cards to try to steal a defuse from another person, etc. It's closer to "Mafia" or "Wolverine" than it is "Cards Against Humanity". IMO the game would still work without the cartoons, but I can totally see how it would turn people off or distract from those mechanics.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Nybble posted:

IMO the game would still work without the cartoons, but I can totally see how it would turn people off or distract from those mechanics.

So what you're saying is that there might be a decent deckbuilding game buried somewhere inside Tanto Cuore? :q:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nybble posted:

For the record, I do hate the cartoony theme and "hur dicks" jokes. Not an Oatmeal fan, but I do enjoy the core game. Knowing when to set someone up with the bomb after you've drawn it, figuring out how to avoid a placed bomb, using your cards to try to steal a defuse from another person, etc. It's closer to "Mafia" or "Wolverine" than it is "Cards Against Humanity". IMO the game would still work without the cartoons, but I can totally see how it would turn people off or distract from those mechanics.
The game is an endless series of 'wine in front of me' decisions which are limited by the draws that you get and just doesn't seem to have much depth.

If you enjoy the game though, I would recommend Falling by James Earnest. Its a real time game where a dealer plays card in front of you which consist of riders which you can play on anyone and do stuff like skip a deal, draw extra cards etc, with the other type of actions allow you to move riders around. All the death cards are at the bottom of the deck and there's loads of strategy involved in making sure you have a bunch of skip cards by the end and that your opponents can fo the same.

It takes a bit if getting used to and the game is more gamey than exploding kittens bug I've had tons of fun with it. The fame is incredibly hectic and chaotic, but that just makes it all the better.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Good shout, will give it a shot! Looks like it's free, save for printing out the cards yourself: http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/falling

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Lump Shaker posted:

Alien Frontiers is a cool board game on IOS. It's a worker placement where your workers are dice that you have rolled and the numbers you roll determine where you can put your dice/workers. I believe this mechanic has been done before but it works well in this game. There is also a good amount of player interaction for a Euro-ish game.

Only downside is there is no tutorial, but it's pretty easy to grasp if you watch a youtube how-to-play video.

Just so other people are aware, the iOS Alien Frontiers is iPad only.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nybble posted:

Good shout, will give it a shot! Looks like it's free, save for printing out the cards yourself: http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/falling
You can also get it on amazon for :10bux: as well here

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also the free version has push and pull cards while the one I linked has only Move cards. I prefer the latter because having separate push/pulls just complicates the game got no real reason.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sonatinas posted:

Since you brought it up, there's a Subterfuge thread as well! Please come post / join my game, I don't think anybody else likes this game as much as I do :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Baseball Highlights 2045 is out, for those who were keen! It's iPad only though.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

TACD posted:

Baseball Highlights 2045 is out, for those who were keen! It's iPad only though.

…and offline only, evidently.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Beelzebozo posted:

…and offline only, evidently.

Wait, no asynchronous play with random internet people? How's the AI?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, no asynchronous play with random internet people? How's the AI?

Reportedly not very strong right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Boooo... thanks for the heads up. I'll skip it for now.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

That's too bad, I've heard good things about the physical version of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well, I'm glad I was warned beforehand. That sucks. Especially since the game itself is good.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Puzzle Strike is out. Anyone tried it? I love the boardgame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Serotonin posted:

If you like the game, you'll like the app. It's still a very poo poo game, though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
You still have very bad opinions on games.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Serotonin posted:

The app is passable. It pretty much slaps a new UI on top of the browser based version of the game. So only synchronous play unfortunately, but it is cross platform with the browser and steam versions. Also all but 4 of the characters are IAP.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Quickpull posted:

all but 4 of the characters are IAP.

Haha gently caress David Sirlin :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
The base game is only $3.99, the remaining characters can be bought as: $5.99 for remaining Base Set characters, $9.99 for Shadows Characters, or $11.99 for all characters (or you can be an idiot fucker and buy an individual character for $1.99) . Cheaper than buying them all for the browser or PC versions, which would run you $30 total.

• Locked thread