Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Requesting we add a "best quotes of mma journalism" category so we can enshrine this doozy forever.

'Ronda pointed at Bethe after she knocked her out and said, "Don't cry." The next day I got pregnant.'

Seconded. Here's my nomination, for posting a long series of articles on drug testing while in apparent ignorance of the meaning of the word "metabolite":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A best quotes of MMA Journalism category would be endless, but I nominate Ariel Helwani crying like a stupid bitch and telling everyone he got paid by the UFC for coverage.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
MMA crime - Alex Garcia killing a nice old man, Mike Pyle

https://streamable.com/838cy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LobsterMobster posted:

MMA crime - Alex Garcia killing a nice old man, Mike Pyle

https://streamable.com/838cy

You lose the mullet, you lose your chin. RIP Mike Pyle

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Performance of tge Year

Cody Garbrandt

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think Cody's the obvious pick for fighter of the year tbh

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

If nothing else he's a very good excuse to not vote for Michael Bisping so thanks to him

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Worst commentator - Joe Warren, Rizin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd still give the nod to Bisping, but Garbrandt would be a shoe-in in most years. Not especially relatedly, there's not been anything more entertaining this year than Bisping owning Rockhold in the cage and then again at the post fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd still give the nod to Bisping, but Garbrandt would be a shoe-in in most years. There's not been anything more entertaining this year than Bisping owning Rockhold in the cage and then again at the post fight.

yeah i think i'm leaning bisping too. what cody did i considered unlikely. what michael bisping did i considered practically impossible. he spent his entire career earnestly trying to get to anderson, and the belt by proxy, and in one year beat the everloving gently caress out of his old motivation, and knocked out luke rockhold to secure the trophy. at like, 38 years old and cockeyed. it's bisping because this year gave him the picture perfect ending to a decade long narrative that consisted mostly of him getting dunked on repeatedly, whereas cody just beat a great fighter.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bisping's story is better than Cody's and that's all that really matters for fighter of the year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Fighter of the year is a two-weight champ that had a big finish at MSG

David Branch, who won all 3 of his title fights in 2016, defending the middleweight belt twice and light heavyweight once

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Yah

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shush of the year Amanda Nunes

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Kimbo-Dada Comedy Award: Edmond Tarverdyan

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LobsterMobster posted:

Fighter of the year is a two-weight champ that had a big finish at MSG

David Branch, who won all 3 of his title fights in 2016, defending the middleweight belt twice and light heavyweight once

Jon Fitch won the fight of the century at MSG, show some respect.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I'd just like to sit here and simmer thinking about Travis Browne's "time-out" at 203 in the Werdum fight.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That has to be up there for worst reffing. If a fighter indicates that they need a quick break, the response should be "oh you can't/don't want to keep fighting? Cool, fight's over, you lose", right?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Memento posted:

That has to be up there for worst reffing. If a fighter indicates that they need a quick break, the response should be "oh you can't/don't want to keep fighting? Cool, fight's over, you lose", right?

isnt it a verbal submission? whats the rules for that?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's an injury TKO.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It happened in kickboxing once didn't it? Somebody, I want to say LeBanner, got his arm broken by a kick, and tried to call a time out. He wasn't cheating, he was just in enough pain that he got confused about what sport he was in.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

quote:

The Jon Jones Award for Worst Career Move
Anthony Pettis missing weight for his title shot at UFC 206
And doing so after being shown eating a big steak with an egg on top during fight week.

quote:

Breakout Fighter of the Year
Cody Garbrandt
Amanda Nunes
Stephen Thompson

quote:

Most Improved
Michael Bisping

quote:

Most Overhyped/Underperformed
Ronda Rousey
Tim Kennedy
Travis Browne

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
No one has underperformed worse than Ronda or Bigg Rigg but its a toss up on the metric - Ronda underperforms with terrible coaching, Johny underperforms with USADA.

As for most improved i'd give it to Stephen Thompson even though he was riding a long winning streak going into the year he didn't seem to be upper echelon of welter. His biggest win was Jake Ellenberger who was one foght removed of a three fight losing streak and has sucked since. Then this year he beat up Rory Mac, Bigg Rigg and drew for the belt. Pretty huge leap.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure I'd say Bisping is in the running for most improved. As much as I think he's the FOTY for 2016, he fought Anderson past his prime and went to an extremely close decision against Henderson.
I think since he went to Parillo a couple of years back, it's more like he's been steadily improving but most importantly, consistent. It's not like he went from 0 to hero. He's performing at a consistent high level against opponents who aren't putting in an equally good showing (other than Henderson who did extremely well against him too)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bisping's wins before 2016 were against second-tier types, and he lost to top talent literally every time. Any of his three wins would have been the biggest of his career before 2016. He went 3-0 for the first time since 2008 while facing the toughest set of opponents.

"Most improved" is about fighters breaking through a glass ceiling and surpassing expectations. Thompson only had one loss before this year and was still a developing MMA fighter at the start of the year. Not sure who else fits besides possibly Nunes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't agree. To me it's about showing a marked improvement in your game as a whole. Max Holloway is a good example of it in the past couple of years, that guy has improved a ridiculous amount in every facet of the game. The breaking of glass ceilings came with it as a by product of his improvement. I think the glass ceiling and surpassing expectations is more FOTY criteria than improved fighter.

A 2016 example I'd argue is in the running is the likes of Derrick Lewis, who isn't breaking a glass ceiling, but in 2015 he lost to Shawn Jordan, now he's breaking into contention.

I mean, if you want to make the argument and I'm not sure it holds a ton of weight, but Bisping says he only lost to people who've pop'd and Luke Rockhold and he's been doing a lot better since USADA came in, coincidence or not.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'd go with Bigg Rigg over Ronda for most underperformed because Ronda at least succeeded in some facet of MMA (making weight). There is no facet of MMA, including making weight, that Bigg Rigg succeeded at.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'd go with Bigg Rigg over Ronda for most underperformed because Ronda at least succeeded in some facet of MMA (making weight). There is no facet of MMA, including making weight, that Bigg Rigg succeeded at.

agreed. all ronda did was lose a fight and look a little goofy doing it

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A 2016 example I'd argue is in the running is the likes of Derrick Lewis, who isn't breaking a glass ceiling, but in 2015 he lost to Shawn Jordan, now he's breaking into contention.
Lewis is a good pick. Holloway had already shown he was 145 top tier at the start of the year, where Lewis went from heavyweight scrub to solid prospect with real star potential.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
ngannou is my pick

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
although i suppose he was equally good last year. but his fights seem to be getting shorter and shorter the higher he climbs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd also say Ngannou is a good shout. It's heavyweight so who the gently caress really knows anything but it's good to see some promising fighters coming up the ranks slowly but surely.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Guys, it's Misha Cirkunov.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Misha rules.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm really surprised not to see RDA vs. Tony Ferguson on the list. That was loving bananas.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Is there going to be an awards thread?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

Is there going to be an awards thread?

Yeah, I'm gonna put one together this week. I'm recovering from eye surgery so I haven't been doing much this weekend.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna put one together this week. I'm recovering from eye surgery so I haven't been doing much this weekend.

Sorry to hear mate, i've had surgeries on both my eyes so know how much that sucks. It will get better soon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I too would like to add that I hope you're okay, as you're a good mod, and a big part of why this is a good place to argue about handsome gay skinhead fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lid posted:

Sorry to hear mate, i've had surgeries on both my eyes so know how much that sucks. It will get better soon.

Actually this was LASIK, so entirely voluntary; it's just left me not in much of a mood to be poring over old threads to collate stuff.

• Locked thread