Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Oberleutnant posted:

Couldn't the processing power be used for productive work? Like those @Home distributed computing networks that fold proteins or process astronomical observations, or whatever?
Presumably it's been thought of and discarded for some reason, but I'd be curious to know why.

that would require bitcoiners to give a poo poo about anyone but themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

QuarkJets posted:

This news story is relevant to the Internet of Things and pedophiles, apparently the awesomely-named search engine Shodan lets you search for Internet of Things video streams, so you can go looking for live feeds of kids in classrooms or babies sleeping

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/01/how-to-search-the-internet-of-things-for-photos-of-sleeping-babies/

why are there live feeds of that anyway???

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I'm just saying it's like 'oh we put a live internet feed of our infant in class out there and now there's perverts looking at her!'

well yeah, idiot, of course. password protect that poo poo at least if you really must see your child having nap time because you're that much of a helicopter parent.

it's like saying 'oh I went to the beach with my 5 yr old and didn't put sunscreen on her and now she's burned!' well no poo poo.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

The_Franz posted:

not even setting a basic password on the grandma cam is pretty lazy.

that's all I'm saying

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
uh what the gently caress are you people smoking

traveler's checks? cashier's checks?

in what world is Bitcoin a reasonable way to move a large amount of money, even if you are concerned about evading taxes?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not the one in argentina :iiam:

If you can buy them it's perfectly plausible, just like it's perfectly plausible that you can buy bitcoins in argentina

e: vvvv lol read the thread idiot

I went back a few pages to the relevant bit where you said 'Bitcoin is the only way to move a large amount of money in a few hours without government interference' which is just the stupidest thing I've seen all day long.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
okay to be fair "out of the things we discussed" which appears to be 'buy gold bullion or other valuables' which I will grant you is equally retarded

But to be fair to me I said 'goons are stupid' not specifically 'the goatfather' is stupid.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Pochoclo posted:

Nope. Argentina's tax agency considers those the same as cash, so they fall within the 10k USD egress limit.

Nowhere, only one guy is saying it is. And it's not concern about taxes, it's legal restrictions on moving money.

Open a PO box in the country you're moving to (or whatever the equivalent is), mail the cheques to it, collect them and cash them when you arrive.

Done and done.

You don't even really need a PO box as you're the only one that would be able to cash the things anyway so really all you need is a mailbox that you have access to.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Pochoclo posted:

That is illegal. The national mail authority does not allow you to send money without a "content insurance" and that's their way of enforcing the limits (they won't let you mail much).

Like I said, the only ways are convoluted and involve an accountant. Still thousands of times better than bitcoin.

Also, contado con liqui is better than your option because it doesn't involve mailing anything. I just need a bank account in London really, after that it's smooth sailing. I just need to survive on 10k USD enough to sign up for one and have enough left to come back here.

yeah but lol if you think it doesn't happen. how would they even know? Just tell them you're sending postcards to family. Mail that poo poo FedEx or DHL. At absolute worst the UK bank won't be able to cash more than $10k at a time but so what? Cash one check a month until you're cashed out.

Why can't you just wire the money from your Arg account once you have a UK account open? I might not be reading this correctly (or it might just be a quick and dirty for tourists) but:

quote:

Local currency (Argentine Peso-ARS) and foreign currencies: prohibited unless exportation is made through authorized financial and foreign exchange entities, for amounts above:
-USD 10,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged over 21 or independent minors; or
-USD 2,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged between 16 and 21 years; or
-USD 1,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged under 16 years.

Surely a wire transfer is an authorized financial exchange entity? Maybe not though. idk at some point it becomes unreasonable to try and follow the law - I'd totally just mail the checks to myself.

Open a Paypal account, deposit the cash, withdraw it as needed in the UK. They'll give you a card and everything.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Azathoth posted:

Hey Goatfather, I'd like to be educated on this too:

criminals, apparently

that'll go well

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

we're all criminals for plotting to smuggle $20k out of argentina illegally

bitcoin is a crime backed currency this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

yeah there's 'criminals' and there's criminals,

the guy selling $20k worth of in Argentina is probably the latter, as is the dude who you will later attempt to sell $20k worth of BTC to. Like as in probably drug dealers or tied to organized crime at least and at worst will just stab you and take your $20k.

whoflungpoop posted:

no yall are just so high on ur own spergy hatefarts that when someone says yeah bitcoin is retarded but there are edge cases for its use the whole thread goes into :frogsiren: instead of taking a moment to reflect on the fundamental truth of how even the shittest and most retarded innovations can for some ppl and circumstances work out fine even Walmart has customers

look all I'm saying is there are tons of safer and more secure ways to smuggle money out of the country and anyone seriously suggesting Bitcoin as an option is lol.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I still think cashier's checks FedEx'd to the UK is the way to go.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

SumYungGui posted:

Someone get that guy an ambulance, it's a legit medical condition to be loving up your words that bad and I think he just had a stroke all over his keyboard. That's just based on the words he typed, getting into the meaning of those words is a whole 'nother can of crazy because what's this poo poo about "The Most Serenei Republic, reunited in congress"?

I'm not gonna read his poo poo but 'Most Serene Republic' is a pretty common state title in Europe (mostly independent city states). Or it was, at least. 'Most Serene' implies sovereignty (ie The Most Serene Republic of Venice).

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I bought bitcoins to use on the silk road and then when the price jumped I bought some more and sold them and made a few grand. I have a friend who made $20k buying early and selling after the hype train took off.

You just have to know when to get the gently caress out, and you have to not become a greedy true believer.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

SumYungGui posted:

At that point you're basically day trading like everyone else who tries to time the market to get in before the wave and get out before the crash. Which isn't some terrible evil baby killing Hitler-level activity in itself, it is what it is.

Problem is it's not exactly the basis for a world dominating techno-revolution currency. That last part is what people mock in these threads. That and blow-dried strawberries.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's super risky given the 'commodity' you're trading, too.

For a while I was doing arbitrage between different exchanges (ie MTGOX is buying coins for X but I can buy them from some German exchange for X-10) but the time it takes for transfers to happen and the volatility of BTC meant I wasn't really making a ton of money. Not enough to be worth the hassle anyway.

But its utility as anything beyond a vehicle for people to get hyped about and value highly is nil. It's like when I traded Pokemon cards or sold digital items in Diablo 3. They're useless beyond what people will pay for them. People who think BTC could really replace anything or do anything besides provide a medium to extract money from people are hilarious.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 10, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I love it when the FTC or SEC drops the hammer on people.

I can't wait for those 'we're a hedge fund but we make sports bets instead of buying securities, "invest" with us!' people to get the SEC's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

cumshitter posted:

Anyway, after the SEC reached out to them one of the engineers had the brilliant idea to post some data analytics on their blog.

https://archive.is/L97V5

lmao they think high traffic from DC and specifically the SEC is a good thing

• Locked thread