Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Mercury_Storm posted:

you then have to convince everyone to use it, just like any other would-be "currency".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
to be fair plenty of protocols are cooler for being decentralized. bitcoin sucks though.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
in the alternate universe where the bitcoin became mainstream buttcoiners would still call it a failure because of the regulatory compliance that would entail

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
what are the odds that shaver guy has even $1m with which to pay the fines?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

http://bitsim.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Keep playing, the format shifts after a plot twist.

sorry, the only thing dumber than this "game" is bitcoin itself

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

actually it's good/funny

it should have ended with your house burning down, the text adventure part is dumb. maybe i'm just mad because i got stuck at the tax collector

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Bitcoin doesn't use a distributed database though. Everyone has to download the entire loving database which a distributed system does not do.

The blockchain is more like a list, never edited. How can that be referred to as a database?

it's an append-only database and you only need to download the whole thing if you want to verify it. the "trust" (ability to verify the proof of work) is what's distributed

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
i remember playing butt, butt, statists! in kindergarten. good times.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

LGD posted:

I am absolutely positive I could use electricity to make waste heat either more or less efficiently (depending on your preference) for a far lower cost without bitcoin than with

you're not already?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I swear to god I read every BitCoin thead that I see on the forums, and I still just don't even understand how it's supposed to make more sense as a currency than literally almost anything.

things causing people to like bitcoin:

- being a poor gamer / computer janitor who lives life on the internet and thinks it is their area of expertise
- hatred of governments and wishful thinking that crypto currency will let you ignore laws and/or give them the ideological finger
- stolen bitcoins can be turned into actual currency, sorta
- some combination of the above

things causing bitcoin to not be a currency:

- more than 99% of people will think you are weird if you even talk about bitcoins

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

this is seriously pro-click

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

Blanketspace posted:

I asked a friend of mine what he was doing with his time (he dropped out of college after his freshman year) and he explained to me that he spent most of his time working. "Working" means "designing an automated bitcoin trading system based on machine learning". Is this as absurd a fantasy as it seems?

the design work is easy: previous bitcoin prices -> machine learning! -> future bitcoin prices

where he'll fail is the implementation

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
a friend and i used to run a hacked TFC server where we could cheat and gently caress with people, and as TFC became less popular (perhaps due to such activities) we rigged things so that it looked like people were playing on our server when in fact we were just luring cattle to slaughter

it appears bitcoin works much the same way

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

That idea being Merkle trees

what the technocats always fail to grasp is that it is a feature, not a bug, that human institutions like banks and governments are messy analog systems that rely on humans doing things like trusting each other and understanding the intent behind language

banks don't want automated distributed ledgers where transactions are irreversible, because it doesn't solve any problems they actually have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat
we hold these truths to be self-evident, that society will be badass once we eliminate trust and consensus between people as the basis for all human activity and replace it with an implementation of a data structure

why has no one thought of this before

e: remove extra words

Novo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 25, 2016

• Locked thread