Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Syd Midnight posted:

Wasn't the second assassin that Dread Pirate Roberts hired actually the same guy that he had hired the first assassin to kill? Like first time around the cops convinced the prospective victim to turn informant and fake his death, then the victim made a new identity and went back to hanging out in the same online drugs community so he could gather evidence, and when DPR announced that he needed yet another guy killed his previous target applied for the job and got hired.

Also IIRC one of DPRs "hitmen" proved he'd finished the job by sending DPR a picture of the crime scene that the victim himself had staged. He took a selfie pretending to be dead using ketchup as fake blood.
dpr got scammed and extorted for hundreds of thousands of dollars by a couple of unknown people who also scammed silk road users

http://antilop.cc/sr/ search for friendlychemist and redandwhite for the hitman scams, and tony76 and lucy for the vendor scams

that was alleged victims #1 and #3-6. #2 was contracted to CARL MARK FORCE IV, an undercover fbi agent, who used his position as silk road moderator to steal bitcoins from silk road vendors. he blamed it on another silk road moderator and then fake killed him for dpr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Serrath posted:

When you say hundreds of thousands of dollars, you mean hundreds and thousands of imaginary numbers that a handful of people have agreed might be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, correct?
looks like dpr paid the fbi through Techocash, one of those digital gold systems that got shut down. the rest were in bitcoin.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

raditts posted:

I haven't kept up with this nonsense in a couple of years, is this something that really happens /has happened?
yes

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

What happens when there are no more bitcoins to mine?
No one will even notice, because the block reward gradually decreases until it gets to 0.00000001 btc and then zero. The invisible hand is expected to demand transaction fee increases for miner income. The block reward is currently 20 times greater than transaction fees.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

That entire sentence makes no sense in my head. Did... did bitcoins make me retarded just by existing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPwkTfdZnrM&t=49s

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

gannyGrabber posted:

How did that heist end? I can't seem to find out!
the thieves, probably the operators of sheep marketplace, got away with it, and possibly even cashed out for real money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

No it isn't you loving idiot. It's a database. It's the world's worst most inefficient database with a ton of screwy rear end behavior that wastes a mind boggling amount of electricity to do something any device accessing this forum could do by itself.
I remember thinking that way at one point -- blockchain is interesting, I hope it finds a use someday -- but the inefficiency absolutely kills it. The price of bitcoin's decentralization is unconscionable waste.

• Locked thread