Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
gently caress its still around the $350 mark.

Good days though in the last thread, reading guys who spent their life savings when it was $900+.

Has there been many MTGOX like shennigans over the last year or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

bollig posted:

God I remember #3. "I will only, only, only do this in Pattaya." "Dude why?"

8) I think there was this person going around tipping people's posts on Reddit and the amount he was tipping, on the surface, was an amount that you could withdraw. But with automatic fees and stuff was too little.

9) Some cafe or coffee place found out that someone replaced their QR Code to donate butts posters in their shop to his own. So for ages all donations/tips were going to some random dude.

10) Bitcoin ATMs mostly relied on them scamming free electricity and internet from the coffee shop/bars installed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
12. Our future Captain's of Industry misplacing a decimal point for the fee, and have just gave 9/10 of what they have to another person.

13. The two who went to Japan to protest outside MTGOX's empty office saying they will not leave until they get their money back.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

17. The bitcoin exchange that was being run entirely on a single ephemeral AWS virtual machine with no persistent storage. They lost all their bitcoins when they rebooted it one day.

18. Bitcoin sites with regular headline news of 'another new first Buttcoin ATM installed in new country' news showing how its taking off around the world, not showing how same ATMs are removed a few months later..

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Can you imagine if actual corporations decided to get into BC? They would eat Bitcoiners alive.

Why on Earth Bitcoiners think that anyone with real power would be willing to allow a bunch of disconnected early adopters to be the Elite has never made sense to me.

There was a lot of talk of this back in the day, pre-MTGOX and when the price was still rising.
Most butters were talking 'take my butts from cold dead hands' type poo poo.
Now no one wants the coins, and the True Believers think they will become billionaires when it finally takes off.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Germstore posted:

Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these GPUs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these FPGAs.
*eight months later*
Nine months of mining and I'll make my money back on these ASICs.
*never gets ASICs*

*Butterfly Labs mines 400 Butts using your rig you bought from them for sixteen months*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember that time a guy earning 50k a year got fired for loading all his university's computers with mining software.

Dude is now sucking cock for crack.

Probably.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Swan Curry posted:

A cafe I go to fairly regularly has had a Bitcoin ATM (I think?) outside the toilets for around a year. I went in today today to find out it's been removed. rip buttcoin

Don't worry, the sites that have maps of Buttcoin ATMs will still list that one for the next century or two.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dear Ethan,

gently caress the Feds.

Yours,
Beakman Place

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember the couple who decided to live on Bitcoin, and thought it was amazing they found a gas station that used it.
And it only takes a 104 mile round trip.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

RabbitWizard posted:

3 transactions per second. That is all.

If you understood, 3 is all you need.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Syd Midnight posted:

it went over a lot of peoples heads I guess

I'M SORRY I CANT HEAR YOU OVER THE THOUGHTS OF BEING AN INSTANT BILLIONAIRE IN SIX MONTHS TIME FOR HOLDING ONTO MY BUTTS NOW EXCUSE ME SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET AND I MUST GO.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Germstore posted:

There can only be X bitcoins and the worldwide economy is worth Y, so when everything is running on bitcoins they will each be worth Y/X. This is unassailable logic, and everyone should buy in while they can.

Yes. And there is no way on earth, no way that if Butts became the standard on Earth, no way at all that a government will just take them from me.
They will definitely sit back and let me become richer than sectors of the economy, and will just kneel down and do whatever my fedora stained hands command them to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

The "there are only X number of Bitcoins ever but that doesn't matter because it's infinitely divisible" argument doesn't make sense to me. It would (theoretically) have value relative to goods and services, so unless those goods and services go down in price then it doesn't help?

Here son, goto the store and get a loaf of bread, a stick of butter, and a jug of milk. Here's 0.000000000001 Ron Paul Funbuxs, get yourself some sweets with the change.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Germstore posted:

No one's sent anything for like 16 hours? I wish this was even a fraction as popular as twitch plays pokemon so it would DDOS bitcoin.

This is like a science experiment to show how BItcoin works in reality.
Like remember the nerdgasm bitcoiners had when you could bit-tip each other for comment posts and such?
"Oh my good man, have a 0.0000000000001 for that cracking retort on why Sonic is superior!"
"Thank you sir, have a fedorashi back, 0.000000000001".

Then they realized that they are just losing money and one day that will be worth $100000000000000000.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Now the bitcoin community is just sort of slowly devouring itself

Yup. 90% are sitting on their potential billions worth of Ayn Rand Rubles, they want others to go spend theirs, and then complain there is no market or cash flow to stimulate its use.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
5 years from now some Chinese blokes will start building a Dyson Sphere just to capture the energy output of the sun for mining.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dreddout posted:

We will be like the Mayan civilization on a planetary scale, many theories about what did us in, but no concrete answer.

DUDE!
You know those undecipherable texts we have from the Mayans and other old civilizations.
Has anyone considered that they are actually their version of bitcoin wallets instead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Stex T posted:

OK, I don't really get all this economics stuff, but from what I can gather, bitcoin is like a pyramid scheme, but instead of selling vacuum cleaners it's gluing thousands of video cards together

No, there is no giving money to anyone higher than you.
Think of it this way. All of Bitcoin is an arcade.
You walk in and all the machines are just change machines.
You also see a board of prizes to be won, mostly dreams and promises.
But they can only be bought with Arcade Tokens.
And you want all of the prizes.

There are others putting in dollars into the machines, and getting arcade coin tokens out.
And they do this all day, every day.
You walk upto one, and insert a dollar. But it takes a day for the money to come out, and at the end you get 75 cents worth of arcade tokens.
And you think this is brilliant.

Weclome to Bitcoin.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 17, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

TheQuietWilds posted:

According to CNBC, the 'smart' people didn't get caught in the Panama Papers because they parked their money in bitcoins instead. Checkmate, regular money-havers.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/13/did-smart-people-avoid-the-panama-papers.html

Now they just need to meet 30,000 Fedora wearing Captains of Industry around the back of Denny's to launder that poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You aren't going to become a captain of industry if you do bitcoin

Fixed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Laputanmachine posted:

Loads of stupid speculative money reminded me, what are the Vinklevoss doing these days? Still into bitcoin?

They are still loving that chicken.
They have a MTGox up and running, waiting for the Chinese to stop loving up Bitcoin by being better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Schwarzwald posted:

so "dogging" means "loving" right?

In cars, usually. You goto a car park or area, meet other cars, and gently caress each other's wives.

• Locked thread