Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Cashed out something like 8k back when btc was at its high mark. Not bad for running a little background app on an iMac. Btw bitcoinstore was legit believe it or not. They even exchanged a defective monitor for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bollig posted:

I have two favorite Bitcoin memories:

1) The kid who dumped liquid nitrogen into his room to supercharge his bitcoin mines.

2) There was some 4 part article about a guy who just somehow came into some bitcoins and decided that he wanted to redeem them. He had a set of well reasoned rules. Like he wouldn't give anyone his SSN and stuff like that. So he's trying to sell them locally and someone comes up to him and tries to exchange 'a garbage bag full of gift certificate cards'. When our hero was like 'absolutely not' the garbage bag guy was just like 'just trust me bro.'

3) The Bitcoin TV show guy who wanted to host a conference in Pattaya and then it came out he was a huge pedo

4) That time the CEO of Mt Gox FOUND $80 million in bitcoins he had misplaced

5) The guy that lost $9 million in bitcoins when he threw his HDD out

6) People lost millions of dollars from "brain wallets" because their chosen "password" was a dictionary phrase

7) That time Newsweek went against all sense of journalistic integrity and human decency and exposed some random japanese dude as Bitcoin's creator because they were rebranding and needed a huge scoop

I'm forgetting a ton of other stuff as well. Bitcoin is ALMOST as funny as Star Citizen.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lol you guys remember when the Dogecoin redditors sponsored a nascar driver? That was hilarious

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

cumshitter posted:

http://antilop.cc/sr/img/digitalink_usps_seized_my_package.png

From the DPR case link, it's the Silk Road version of the Goon in the Hole story.

Hilarious. Looked it up, he got six years.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

JiimyPopAli posted:

I checked the thread and didn't see anything about this so....

There is talk about quantum computers being available in the near future. What would that do for bitcoin mining?

Nothing because _real_ quantum computing is a looooong time away.

Pretending we had an actual quantum computer, it would basically break bitcoin, and online payments, and basically most other types of encryption/hashing algos.

vvv I don't think the difficulty algorithm would actually support a QC arms race, but I'd be interested to hear that I'm wrong.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 22, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's the huge silhouette taking up most of the picture there? Looks vaguely person shaped but I can't see anything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Andrast posted:

It's John Cena

:thejoke:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Senor Tron posted:

Ah Bitcoin thread, it's been too long my old friend.

Do we have any idea what Bruce Wagner is up to nowadays?

edit: http://bitcoinme.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 :lol:

Hahah. He apparently also runs (and posts to himself constantly) http://supersmartpeople.com/forum

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Professor Shark posted:

gently caress that guy. There are other corporations and businesses he could have targeted, instead he went after a hospital and risked lives, even if it was just by making patient information sharing much slower.

This should unironically come with the death penalty

Hahaha god no it shouldn't.

Just imagine the death penalty version of "Swatting"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ryoshi posted:

Lol at all the people coming up with super obscure hypotheticals about why this guy that put people's lives at risk in a tangible way shouldn't be punished super harshly

"B-b-but what if someone extorts a place and hates money and also knows my crypto currency wallet address and hates me for some reason so sends the extortion money to me I MIGHT GET IN TROUUUBLE". Hey, if that ever happens, and it won't, because it's loving stupid as hell on about six different levels and everyone parroting the idea should be ashamed of how publicly idiotic they are, but if it ever did you could always just return the loving money.

:rolleyes:

Yeah utterly crazy. That's like saying people that like to play video games and stream them online might have armed gunmen burst into their house because some script kiddie finds it amusing. Nobody would ever do that. We should definitely trust a government that's proven itself time and time again to be utterly incompetent when it comes to understanding technology to make the right decisions in capital offense cases where the only evidence is digital and can be easily fabricated.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
CJ's are the worst. So drat smug because they're "good with computers"

Like, they don't even know what they don't know (which is everything)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can we please mock the idiot bitcoiners delusion that BTC is going to take over the world without trying to feel smug about how bad the design is?

I mean, cash doesn't scale either, that's why banks and credit card companies exist. The actual concept behind Bitcoin is incredibly novel and groundbreaking, even if the entire ecosystem surrounding it isn't.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own 1 BTC that I'm waiting for the NWO to cash in

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

jre posted:

What bits of it do you think are novel or groundbreaking ?

It combines proof-of-work, cryptography, distributed networks, and a tamper-resistant public ledger in a way that has never been seen before. It's more than just the sum of its parts and while it exists more of a proof-of-concept than a finished product, the concepts and the different ways they can be used are unique and interesting.

Look I fully support mocking Bitcoiners, and there are a lot of flaws in Bitcoin itself, but you guys should actually make fun of the stuff that's worth making fun of. Assuming Bitcoin didn't exist, a white paper describing the technology would certainly be at the level of an Ivy League computer science thesis. It just looks stupid to say stuff like "hahaha Bitcoin can't scale." Well no poo poo it can't. It's a proof-of-concept that really has no place in the world outside of a lab. And from an economist point of view, the whole idea is rather poisonous. But to say that the technology isn't novel or groundbreaking or that we can't learn anything from it is simply ignorant. Some of the new stuff that's being explored, like using a blockchain system to store contracts for example, is incredibly compelling from a CS viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Here, I edited some of the fluff out of your post and rearranged some words to hit the truly salient points. No need to thank me :tipshat:

:rolleyes:

quote:

LONDON — Forty of the world's biggest banks, including HSBC and Citi, have tested a system for trading fixed income using the technology that underpins bitcoin, fintech company R3 CEV said on Thursday.

The banks are part of a consortium of 42 major lenders, brought together last year by New York-based R3 CEV to work on ways blockchain technology could be used in financial markets - the first time so many have collaborated on using such systems.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/03/02/business/02reuters-banking-blockchain-bonds.html

Again, there's plenty of comedy to be had from the intersection of autists and libertarians that is Bitcoin users, but mocking the actual tech is silly. It's at least more compelling than yet another Snapchat clone. But hey I'm just a software engineer so I guess a lot of this stuff just goes right over my head.

I definitely enjoyed cashing in on the gold rush while you guys were so busy getting on the hate bandwagon, poo poo's funny. I'm not even pro-Bitcoin, I just think that blanket poo poo-talking the tech is just as bad as the idiot redditors that can't shut the gently caress up about it.

• Locked thread