Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

pretty funny that canelo always gives it the big what for saying he'll fight golovkin and stuff and then defends his middleweight title against a welterweight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fwiw, we already saw a similar fight when Canelo beat down Josesito Lopez except Khan's at least way more skilled which will probably give Canelo issues for a few rounds. But i do agree with pretty much the universe that there's no way a fragile Khan survives against someone who will outweigh him 20 pounds on fight night.

And again, for this Canelo fight it was either some name welterweight like Khan or Bradley (had he not got the Manny fight) moving up or loving Gabriel Rosado or Willie Monroe and id much rather have the former.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 3, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Khans got some time to bulk up and he's been out of the ring for a year. I've heard he doesn't exactly stay at his fighting weight when he's not prepping for a fight.

It will still go pretty badly IMO. Even barring the weight thing, Canelo is just a really great boxer and khan is... not.

Particularly Canelo is just a really accurate puncher which makes him seem more powerful and khan hasn't got great ring iq which makes his chin seem worse. It's a bad match up for khan.

E: I'm hype for this fight but I would take a rosado fight at 160 much more seriously. It would show Canelo was serious about being a middle weight at least.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 3, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Meanwhile golovkin is set to face prospect Dominic Wade. The only real story to this is that Wade is a Haymon fighter. Khan confirms that he's also still with Haymon so this means two fights have just been confirmed that cross the Haymon-HBO divide. This could be a good sign of things to come, the biggest being some type of Kovalev/Stevenson thing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Meanwhile golovkin is set to face prospect Dominic Wade. The only real story to this is that Wade is a Haymon fighter. Khan confirms that he's also still with Haymon so this means two fights have just been confirmed that cross the Haymon-HBO divide. This could be a good sign of things to come, the biggest being some type of Kovalev/Stevenson thing.

Somewhat related to this Thurman-Porter is actually going to be branded as "Showtime Boxing on CBS" and not PBC. The company which provided the investment to get the PBC going (Waddell & Reed, a financial management firm) is doing terribly and there are indications that Haymon has burned through a ton of cash-and the ratings have only gone down-so it stands to reason that he's going to go to whoever has the money and even with a reduced budget from 10-20 years ago that's still HBO.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/personal-finance/article57890703.html

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this is so bizarre. but i'm down to see it.

conversely, i feel sorry for dominic wade, whose best win is against a 40 year old journeyman.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's not surprising. PBC was promoted badly, and unfortunately all the best fighters are still with HBO. Overpaying Peter Quillin or Danny Garcia doesn't make them captivating or marketable stars. Fights like Broner-Porter are good but they don't move the needle for the fans. There's virtually no advertising and at no point in the telecast do they give people any reason to care about their matches.

The real problem is that all of Al's "stars" are guys still trying to prove themselves to the public, he doesn't have a fighter like Tim Bradley that has already done it. These guys need a big breakout fight that they can win, but Haymon doesn't have any premier guys for them to fight. Mayweather is retired and he thrashed Haymon's stable.

I think that's why Khan is doing this PPV honestly. He needs a PPV opponent if he ever expects to get accolades for being an "elite" fighter, he needs his De La Hoya or Pacquiao to get to the point where people take him seriously as a PPV opponent. Canelo is beatable, I don't think he will lose to Khan but it could end up being close, especially if Khan can put on some muscle. Plus this seems like it should open itself up to other Khan matchups. Win or lose, if he puts on a good show suddenly a Khan-Bradley PPV looks a lot more appealing (especially if Bradley can cleanly beat Pacquiao in April). Or gently caress, if Pacquiao wins and decides to fight on, Khan makes for a stay-busy fight while he sets up for Mayweather or Canelo or whoever.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

this is so bizarre. but i'm down to see it.

conversely, i feel sorry for dominic wade, whose best win is against a 40 year old journeyman.

I heard it's at the Forum out here in LA, if that's the case I'm gonna see it live. I missed Golovkin the last time he was out here.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Boxing has been pretty wild lately, but honestly it's looking a lot better for it. This Khanelo fight is absolute madness but really, this has energized the boxing fans something fierce.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

:aaaaa:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

was considering going to liverpool to see rigo on march 12th but gently caress 50 quid for the cheapest tickets tbh

also eddie hearn said he spoke to golovkins people about ggg vs brook at 155 lol. i don't know how serious he was but i'm not ruling anything out

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Richard Dwyer is picking Khan to beat Canelo, reasoning that if Khan fights like he did in the first 6 rounds of Maidana, a plodding Canelo will have difficulty getting to him. I think Dwyer may have forgotten how the last 6 rounds of the Maidana fight went, but it's an interesting take that suggests Canelo-Khan may be more than a simple blow-out.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

khan will win because it would be So Him and the funniest outcome

remember the opinion you follow should be your own. just consider this post to be a second opinion by a stranger online

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yes but on the other hand that's completely ridiculous because Canelo is bigger fighter and a better boxer than Maidana

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35503937

There is such a thing as taking pre-match banter too seriously.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's some sort of war between two Irish gangs. Macklin's Gym Marbella (MGM) who were putting on the show is the front for one of them. There have been loads of shootings and murders, it's proper Hollywood poo poo. Dunno why Macklin has got himself involved with it all, he always seemed like he had more sense than your average boxer.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5rDDvVJwU

quote:

He had Superman undies on why run

Lionel Richie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 5, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bernard Hopkins wants to fight Golovkin.
http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkins-promoter-confirms-interest-bernard-hopkins-fight--101143?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And by that, he means he wants to die in the ring.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

better someone old and good than young and bad. i'd be really interested to see it, and i get the feeling the only interesting ggg fights we'll ever see are at 168 so....

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think we're going to see Golovkin move up sooner than later, to be honest. Canelo's dicking around with welterweights, if I was GGG's team I'd be thinking "this guy really has no plans of fighting us at 160" and begin to look elsewhere. If they can't make Canelo-Golovkin by the end of this year, I think he'll vacate the division shortly after.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

On one hand hopkins really shouldn't do this. On the other hand he did go 12 rounds with kovalev and this can't be worse. Right?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

E: weird double post, sorry

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

just watched golovkin / lemieux again and there's no way ggg / canelo is happening. i really think canelo has balls but it's just a loving stupid fight. ggg is better than him at literally everything, especially the jab. it would be insanely dumb to take that fight.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Golovkin is fighting something called Dominic Wade. Would be cool if he could get a real fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ggg will get a real fight when king khan's finished knocking canelo about

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Amir Khan probably can't put the cat out at night tbth.
Chinny kid like him wants none of Golovkin.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
The more important thing revealed by #khanelo is that Haymon is willing to book fights outside of PBC. So does this mean Stevenson vs. Kovalev could actually happen soon? I don't actually think Ward will ever get in the ring with Kovalev, but Stevenson might.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i've read khan has more of a say in his fights than the usual haymon contracted fighter. i don't think stevenson wants it either way really tho

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

afatwhiteloaf posted:

The more important thing revealed by #khanelo is that Haymon is willing to book fights outside of PBC. So does this mean Stevenson vs. Kovalev could actually happen soon? I don't actually think Ward will ever get in the ring with Kovalev, but Stevenson might.

Apparently a Ward/Kovalev deal is fairly secure but Kovalev/Stevenson is experiencing a lot of trouble.

Ostensibly, they both are willing to fight but have different demands. Stevenson's team was offered a 50/50 split on a HBO PPV but countered by demanding that Showtime somehow has to be part of the deal. HBO doesn't want Showtime to have any part of it and Stevenson seems pretty adamant on not taking the offered deal.

Unofficially, it doesn't seem Stevenson is too keen on it.

Just once though I'd like the person in this situation to get called on their bluff. Like I get that Stevenson is making things difficult but it would be nice to see Kovalev's team just go for it, konk him and build hype for Ward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Apparently a Ward/Kovalev deal is fairly secure but Kovalev/Stevenson is experiencing a lot of trouble.

Ostensibly, they both are willing to fight but have different demands. Stevenson's team was offered a 50/50 split on a HBO PPV but countered by demanding that Showtime somehow has to be part of the deal. HBO doesn't want Showtime to have any part of it and Stevenson seems pretty adamant on not taking the offered deal.

Unofficially, it doesn't seem Stevenson is too keen on it.

Just once though I'd like the person in this situation to get called on their bluff. Like I get that Stevenson is making things difficult but it would be nice to see Kovalev's team just go for it, konk him and build hype for Ward.

:henget: :psyduck:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At this point the best thing Kovalev can do is just pretend that Stevenson doesn't even exist. Virtually Every time they engage him-the purse bid fiasco, the kid with the monkey t-shirt tweet- Main Events and Kovalev come out worse for wear. Just hope to win his homecoming/tune-up fight scheduled for June, Ward can look good against Sullivan Barrera on 3/26 (and that his ego doesn't re-inflate because like Khalil Mack carries his belt to the ring) and enjoy a 50-50 against one of the top 5 pound for pound while Stevenson has to fight like Andre Dirrell on Bounce TV.

Edit- RE: Ward-Barrera; interestingly enough Barrera is w/ Abel Sanchez at The Summit with Golovkin so it could be some weird transitive Golovkin-Ward thing with that fight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZ2GrBRNxY

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 12, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The idea that Showtime should be co-promoting Kovalev-Stevenson with HBO is a deal-killer. Stevenson isn't Mike Tyson and he sure as hell isn't Floyd Mayweather, there's nothing HBO would gain from a co-promotion. Once again makes it look like Stevenson wants to promote himself on the back of Kovalev without actually fighting him. He says he doesn't have a network deal but if that was the case he wouldn't be throwing in Showtime into the mix.

I really don't understand this guy's deal. He's had fight after fight fall apart.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cbs sports posted:

Have you ever watched Roy Jones, Jr. box and thought to yourself, "yeah, I could take him?" Well, you are in luck.

The former light heavyweight champion of the world will be taking on a fan, and if the fan wins, he will take home $100,000, as part of an event in Phoenix, Arizona titled "UR Fight" that will feature aging legends from boxing, MMA and professional wrestling competing on a pay-per-view stream.

The twist is that the fan violently knocks him out.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/25482051/look-roy-jones-jr-is-really-going-to-fight-a-fan-for-a-chance-at-100000

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Oh, and Roy is only the third-oldest guy competing in this four fight event at 47 (tied with Kurt Angle) behind 52-year-old Ken Shamrock and 57-year-old Dan Sevyrn.

Would you rather fight Roy Jones, Ken Shamrock or Dan Severn?

I think I might pick Roy because he'd just lay me out, the other guys might detach parts of my body.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 13, 2016

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

:psyduck:

How is this legal?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/698568560004702212

Fury announcing a big fight, you won't believe who.

Most likely Fury just blowing smoke up everybody's rear end but there's this wild, no-substance rumour that it's a Vitali Klitschko fight which is amusing enough that I'm entertaining the idea.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He's probably just bored and having one of his "episodes"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is the deadest February schedule I've seen for boxing. Nothing going on this or next week unless you're a fan of Felix Sturm.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

And in typical boxing fashion the week after you've got two good fights happening at exactly the same time with Frampton v Quigg and Huck v Afolabi

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

https://twitter.com/Tyson_Fury/status/698568560004702212

Fury announcing a big fight, you won't believe who.

Most likely Fury just blowing smoke up everybody's rear end but there's this wild, no-substance rumour that it's a Vitali Klitschko fight which is amusing enough that I'm entertaining the idea.

Hahahaha I hope it's Vitali, it would really solidify their Double Dragon legacy.

My guesses for a "big news" fight would be Wilder and then Haye in that order. Wilder has a mandatory for Povetkin though and it's sorta hard to imagine he would just skip that one, and I think Haye's too big of a bitch to fight Fury straight away, without at least another tune-up. Fury recently got done talking some poo poo about Joshua going after Charles Martin, so maybe it's for Joshua? Can't really think of anyone outside of the obvious Klitschko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wilder would rather not fight Povetkin and it's not a stretch to think that they feel Fury makes more sense business and boxing wise. Meanwhile rumour has it that Eddie Hearn's exclusive Sky tv deal includes a certain number of PPV dates and Khan has royally hosed him over by fighting Canelo instead of Brook so why not make a huge money fight with Joshua. But it all sounds like bullshit to me; Wlad put a rematch in the contract and that's what it's likely to be unless someone pays him some money. It's either him attention seeking or it's something to do with Hughie Fury.

• Locked thread