Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

lol yeah JMM was juiced up to the tits in that fight too. I haven't watched it in years and I was probably drunk at the time but Pacquiao actually had him hurt pretty good iirc and was going all out to stop him once and for all, and then that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It was a great fight, as were the others. Pacquiao was winning the rounds but it didn't matter because Marquez was gameplan was built around that punch. When I first watched the fight I was a bit too much of pacfan and was convinced Marquez got lucky or something. Looking back, it's not the sort of thing that you pull out of nowhere. It was a competitive fight and drat, those guys match up really well.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've never thought much about Manny Pacquiao's intelligence but even I have trouble believing this isn't an intentional move to drum up some controversy for Pac-Bradley III. Why else would he go back to the homophobia quotes after getting reamed over them all day yesterday?

I joked about it a bit but I don't really think pac would be intentionally trying to turn people against him. I think that's either just who he is or an effort to appeal to his voter base.

I hear Tyson Fury is excited about this.

Not a whole lot to say in the end, this isn't really new for pac or the sport. It matters a lot more for him as a politician, but we wouldn't have heard about some random Filipino congressman quoting Leviticus so I'm not going to feign a concern for foreign politics that i didn't have before.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

What are the best JMM fights? I feel like maybe I've asked before :ohdear:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've never thought much about Manny Pacquiao's intelligence but even I have trouble believing this isn't an intentional move to drum up some controversy for Pac-Bradley III. Why else would he go back to the homophobia quotes after getting reamed over them all day yesterday?

He's an evangelical politician and he's up for reelection this year.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Glad I don't live in the Philippines. Donald Trump is bad enough.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's ok to juice if you're just evening things up

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Realistically aren't most athletes probably taking PEDs? I don't really know the specifics, maybe a lot of them are clean or are blissfully ignorant of what they're nutritionists are doing but it seems like the kind of thing that's more widespread than appearances suggest.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Realistically aren't most athletes probably taking PEDs? I don't really know the specifics, maybe a lot of them are clean or are blissfully ignorant of what they're nutritionists are doing but it seems like the kind of thing that's more widespread than appearances suggest.

I'd hesitate to say most, but a significant portion definitely are

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

According to some of the boxingscene threads I've seen most boxing fans are on board with Pacquiao's opinions. Can't say I'm surprised.

All those guys are doping. I used to think otherwise, but at this point I don't think any athlete is above suspicion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

According to some of the boxingscene threads I've seen most boxing fans are on board with Pacquiao's opinions. .

lol

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

The Ninth Layer posted:

According to going outside I've seen most people are on board with Pacquiao's opinions. Can't say I'm surprised.

ftfy

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

so loving future posted:

What are the best JMM fights? I feel like maybe I've asked before :ohdear:
Check out his fights against Juan Diaz if you haven't seen them. Both fights are good watches, especially the first one. The Michael Katsidis fight is entertaining too.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Pretty much everyone at the professional level are on some poo poo. The one's that don't are the exception, not the rule. The people that deny it after they've been popped are full of poo poo and the most popular athletes are too big to fail - for now. Check out this thread for a shitload of information (you might need archives though).

Doping in Sports thread

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wonderful Pistachios and Foot Locker both ended their deals with Pacquiao, with Foot Locker saying they have no plans to work with him ever again

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Pretty much everyone at the professional level are on some poo poo. The one's that don't are the exception, not the rule. The people that deny it after they've been popped are full of poo poo and the most popular athletes are too big to fail - for now. Check out this thread for a shitload of information (you might need archives though).

Doping in Sports thread

Wow at the baseball apologists in that thread. That's some funny poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lamont Peterson tested positive for synthetic testosterone and was cleared to fight lmao. boxing doesn't give a poo poo

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Well poo poo Frampton-Quigg is on Saturday (showtime extreme live and showtime for the replay for the us). Who's everyone got? Quigg is the slight betting favorite but feel like Frampton takes a close one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Frampton seems to be the favourite amoungst people who know poo poo about boxing

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Over here Frampton is comfortable favourite (8/13 against 6/4)

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
The negotiations between Wilder and Povetkin's camp fell apart and now it's going to purse bid and we'll get to see who has the deeper pockets: PBC's investors, or Povetkin's oligarch backers.

The most interesting thing about this to me is that apparently, Povetkin's promoter was aiming for co-promotion with Haymon and were willing to go to the states, but (if he's telling the truth) Haymon turned that down. If Povetkin's camp win the purse bid (and there's a good chance they will, they already set the record for purse bids to bring Wlad to Moscow), it'll be in Russia.

So will Haymon let Wilder go to Russia?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm a perpetual boxing optimist but I can't see Wilder vacating his belt. So yeah I'd say he goes to Russia.

I also think he'll win.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Boxing conspiracy theory #1: Povetkin's group wins the purse bid, Wilder drops the WBC belt and is crowned inaugural PBC champion after beating Dominic Brezale and fights Fury in the Fall.

Boxing conspiracy theory #2: Keith Thurman is not actually injured and is leaving Al Haymon and will sign for huge money with Golden Boy in April/May. Fight in summer against the winner (or loser) of Ali/Vargas then PPV against Tim Bradley.

I am not a crackpot but feel free to make this face as you read this post

EDIT: For the record I'm not crazy enough to think that Thurman staged a car accident to get out of the fight but it seemed like he never really wanted the Porter fight and he's been on record for longer than most that he would leave Haymon if he felt he had to.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2016

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
EDIT: A ridiculously speculative post so nice I had to make it twice

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would be very surprised if Thurman jumped ship. He may be Haymon's best welterweight, I'd imagine Al would want to pay to keep him around. If he did jump it would be the beginning of the end for his PBC business model.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Frampton seems to be the favourite amoungst people who know poo poo about boxing

I'm travelling over to the fight from Belfast and it's nice hearing people not talking from their heart picking Frampton. Quigg is definitely the most dangerous opponent he's faced yet and I could see Quigg stopping him but I'm still calling Frampton to edge it in a war.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I'm travelling over to the fight from Belfast and it's nice hearing people not talking from their heart picking Frampton. Quigg is definitely the most dangerous opponent he's faced yet and I could see Quigg stopping him but I'm still calling Frampton to edge it in a war.

I think most people see it as close. Scott Quigg is definitely the sort of hard worker that you can't count out.

E:
Apparently Arum wants to do a doubleheader of Lomachenko-Walters backed with Postol-some other guy but he's also hedged it with a "depending on what HBO wants"

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 23, 2016

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Shucks, put Crawford on there vs Postol and it would be a pretty amazing HBO show.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Crawford is fighting this weekend so it's a possibility, although I don't think it's likely that Crawford returns any earlier than June, and who knows if Arum wants to sit on Lomachenko and Postol for that long. I also get the impression Arum wants to sit on Crawford-Postol for a while and let it "marinate." Even with the Matthysse upset from last year I'm pretty sure most boxing fans don't know who Postol is yet.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Do people have to know who he is? Isn't this what promos are for? A fight against Postol is way better than one against Hammerin' Hank Lundy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

For these guys to make money, yeah people have to know who they are. Plus Postol is a risky fight for anybody, dude is undefeated and has beaten some good fighters. If I have Crawford and Postol in my stable, maybe I don't want to risk my more lucrative fighter Crawford losing to Postol in what could very well be an ugly technical spoiler match that doesn't net either guy new fans, sorta like what happened with Donaire and Rigondeaux a few years ago.

Crawford is maybe 2 years away from being a pay-per-view level fighter. All it would take is seven more pounds and a fight against the winner of Pacquiao/Bradley, so realistically it could happen even faster. I'm not saying that means he will duck Postol all the way, but it might mean he doesn't go out of his way to fight Postol until there's some serious public interest in the match.

I do agree that Crawford-Postlol is the best match that can be made at the weight, I think we will see it sometime in the fall. There's not much else for either guy at 140 at the moment, especially if Lucas Matthysse makes good on the rumors of him moving up to welterweight.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We should probably drum up a thread for all the fights happening this weekend. Frampton-Quigg, Huck-Afolabi, Crawford-Lundy and Santa Cruz-Martinez are the four main headliners but there are also some decent undercard fights and other events. Felix Verdejo is a top tier prospect fighting on the Crawford undercard, There's a 122 eliminator on the undercard of Frampton-Quigg, Cecilia Braekhus is considered by some to be the best female boxer and she's on the undercard of the Huck-Afolabi fight and finally if you're invested in the hunt for the next great american heavyweight prospect then maybe it's Gerald Washington fighting on the Santa Cruz- Martinez undercard.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm just happy to have some boxing to watch again. It's been a very dry year so far :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

this spring looks quite exciting though

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

this spring looks quite exciting though

Seems like a load of poo poo to me. Porter against Thurman was the pick of the bunch and now even that's gone.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I dunno, I feel like there is fairly watchable stuff all over Saturday. Next week isn't that bad either as Ortiz will probably do a cool KO. Losing Thurman/Porter is a pretty big bummer, but there have been worse springs it seems like. Things seem to pick up against once you get to April.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm just happy I'll get to see Golovkin vs Knockout Victim Number 22 here in Los Angeles. Excited about Pac-Bradley III too although I'm still not sure if I'm going.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm also excited to be going to ggg/wade. I've never been to a fight at the forum either although I've heard it's a great venue for boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thurman-Porter is just postponed, not canceled.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/24/professional-boxers-eligible-rio-olympics

quote:

Professional boxers will become eligible to compete at the Rio Olympic Games under radical proposals being pushed through by the world governing body, Aiba.

This would be bad imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i like it

• Locked thread