Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
It could be that so much Anime is so god awful about fan service, so my standard for acceptable is too leanient, but I don't really get a big fan service vibe. Or, I don't find her level of cuteness any more fan service-y than stuff like the devil character on the live action American Lucifer show on TV.

I think a large part of my brain giving it a pass is that stuff like the shower and the toilet were solid character development. Mabuchi keeps telling us that she should n't act like that, and basically rolling his eyes at the idea that Mira has personal privacy to violate, so any scene where we feel like her privacy is violated conflicts with what characters in the show are saying, which is interesting. Plus Mira being a cute as hell robot cat girl doesn't hurt, like the devil in Lucifer being really handsome British rogueish semi-badboy doesn't hurt, but they both work in the context of the show. Plus I don't recall anyone falling on her and grabbing her boob, her going to the baths and having female characters grabbing her boob, having her panties stolen, etc.

Mostly she is selling that she is a super cutie, which makes us want her to be human despite Mabuchi saying the opposite, and all the other robots they show us supports his default opinion of the situation.

Or I just like the show and want to justify it, but I like the version with the conflict more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Darth Walrus posted:

This didn't exactly feel the right time for it, though. The camera going 'look how sexy the robot is' when she was getting dragged into the world of loving Event Horizon was just a wee bit uncomfortable. Like, I get that they were trying to use nudity as a signifier for vulnerability, but there are ways to do that without zooming in on a character's T&A every chance you get.

Happy, safe fanservice is best fanservice.

Not all fanservice can be safe.
Y'all don't know what it's like for a robot on dese streets

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Not all fanservice can be safe.
Y'all don't know what it's like for a robot on dese desu streets

At least write your anime words right.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if there's supposed to be any meaning or reference in the name Mira.

I could imagine it coming from perhaps "mirai" (but that'd seem lame), or perhaps "mirage" (what'd that reference?), but really my best idea is "mirror". For instance, mirroring some alternate reality where the inventor guy did get a (real) daughter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

I could imagine it coming from perhaps "mirai" (but that'd seem lame), or perhaps "mirage" (what'd that reference?), but really my best idea is "mirror". For instance, mirroring some alternate reality where the inventor guy did get a (real) daughter.

The inventor had a daughter who got shot down by NTE. She was also the one who named Mira (after Mirai). It was in that video she showed in episode 2

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

nielsm posted:

He did have a daughter though. She got murdered together with his wife. My first assumption was that Mira was a cyborg of his daughter till we saw that Mira saw his wife and daughter get killed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Droyer posted:

The inventor had a daughter who got shot down by NTE. She was also the one who named Mira (after Mirai). It was in that video she showed in episode 2

Uh maybe I should watch that again then. Thanks.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought I had this episode under control, but then the after-credits bit made me :psyduck: again.

Good poo poo.

And much like I did with Concrete Revolutio, I might watch from the beginning again even though it's still ongoing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't really sold on this arc. It felt clunky and confusing, with some dreadful lines (or, at least, dreadfully-translated lines -'it'd be problematic for us if all the problems were solved at once', anyone?), and the hosed-up subject matter felt like cheap and 2edgy shock-bait rather than something properly earned. It's no Cowboy Bebop, and even Darker than Black, for all its unfortunate sojourns into the greasy side of anime-land, usually tended to carry itself with a little more style, grace, and intelligence.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeaaah i don't think this was a good past two episodes. it's like, b-movie horror schlock followed by the most disney-rear end ending imaginable and it's not like the spoopy ghost stuff is some kind of prominent part of the story, it's just a weird thing that happened because the number coils are magic.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They cut down on the arc a lot, it was a lot more drawn out and murder-mysteryey in the manga. Of course, everything after the villains descending into that hole have yet to be scanlated, so who knows if that ending was as dumb and abrupt in the manga as it was here.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 8, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blhue posted:

They cut down on the arc a lot, it was a lot more drawn out and murder-mysteryey in the manga. Of course, everything after the villains descending into that hole have yet to be scanlated, so who knows if that ending was as dumb and abrupt in the manga as it was here.

Im just glad they got through it quickly because in the manga its a freaking boring arc that is kinda making the series less enjoyable.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Anything that has to do with a murder mystery in a mansion/hotel is dumb and overplayed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the conclusion, that it was his own alternate reality ghost which killed him. Everything leading up to and following from that was pretty bad, though!

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
The arc was basically a statement that "Numbers" are catalysts for stupidly mind-numbing disasters like the arc itself.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dropping this

Maybe I'll watch it once it finishes, if it gets more interesting later on. So far, there's been pretty much nothing I'd return for. Certainly nothing as impressive as I'd hoped it would be.

Nono keeps her throne.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
I like the characters enough to keep up with it but this animated arc was pretty bottom of the barrel. 12 episodes so they're probably gonna rush through.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Thinking maybe we might need a thread name change? :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dimension Walrus: A realm containing every potential bad post

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Thinking maybe we might need a thread name change? :v:

i don't think this needs to become a negative/hate thread just because people are souring over some recent gross stuff that is not indicative of the series so far

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Dimension Walrus: A realm containing every potential bad post

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't think this needs to become a negative/hate thread just because people are souring over some recent gross stuff that is not indicative of the series so far

Hate-thread? Nah. The thread reception just seems like it's been a wee bit too mixed for the title's level of enthusiasm, is all. Plus, it's a missed opportunity for a good joke title, which are half the fun of... whatever we're calling the anime subforum this week.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Hate-thread? Nah. The thread reception just seems like it's been a wee bit too mixed for the title's level of enthusiasm, is all. Plus, it's a missed opportunity for a good joke title, which are half the fun of... whatever we're calling the anime subforum this week.

oh, well Dilbert is the OP and i haven't seen his enthusiasm for the show lessen :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show started out strong with Loser, but in the last arc Loser was present and didn't do anything. That sucked balls.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's kinda the danger of an episodic story, some arcs will be stronger than others. I need to get caught up on the show because I'm excited that it's already passed up what's translated of the manga and want to see some stuff I haven't read yet.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I love the idea of a 'ghost' who knows he's already dead (or never existed in the first place), but still wants to preserve his weird quantum-splinter-parallel-universe-whatever even to the point of murdering his 'true' self because that's the only way he and his ghost posse can survive(?). On the other hand, that I need to resort to such a vague, uncertain description to explain the plot is really not a point in these episodes' favor. There are too many disparate elements that don't justify their inclusion--either they should've been cut to narrow the focus of the plot, or given additional time to flesh out their role. Seriously, what was the point of gothic cosplay girl in these episodes?

I'm hoping the next arc will dive into the main plot, and make the pacing less of an issue. It probably sounds like I hate the show, but there were enough promising bits in those first few episodes that I mostly just want Dimension W to get its poo poo together so I can enjoy it unreservedly again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It could have been worse. They could have adapted the entire kid arc, where Kyouma randomly decided he gave a drat about elementary school exam fixing of all things.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eh true the storytelling wasn't the best this arc, but it still put out some interesting things about the nature of the coils. Which is probably what should drive the main plot.

Thread title: Dimension W: Humanity has finally obtained... unlimited shitposting!
:effort:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought the bit about the writer being a ruthless murderous rear end in a top hat was well presented, it's everything past that where it fell apart.

Dimension W: show's okay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
let's keep the thread title because the last two episodes had a few weird bits and overall weren't amazing but they weren't super bad either and the enthusiasm in the existing title is cool and fun

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The episode didn't do it for me like the other ones but I still really like the show. The character interactions make it for me.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Serious Frolicking posted:

It could have been worse. They could have adapted the entire kid arc, where Kyouma randomly decided he gave a drat about elementary school exam fixing of all things.

He was going to get his rear end sued and figured catching the real culprits who manipulated everything up would clear him and yeah the kids as well.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, I'll withdraw one criticsm of the previous arc--the purpose of goth cosplay girl is forcing Mira make this face:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Rangpur posted:

Okay, I'll withdraw one criticsm of the previous arc--the purpose of goth cosplay girl is forcing Mira make this face:

Dimension W: Why Is This Robot So drat Cute?

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

I actually liked that arc for its world building and giving a Kyouma a softer touch after his very pragmatic approach to coil retrieval in the preceeding arc(s). The ghost lake arc - I was kinda hoping the dam would break in the end and sweep the drat hotel away.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
WHELP. It was announced on Toonami Pre-Flight that Dimension W is getting a dub on Toonami once Akame Ga Kill! finishes. It starts February 27.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/02/12/dimension-w-on-adult-swims-toonami/

Julias fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 13, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Julias posted:

WHELP. It was announced on Toonami Pre-Flight that Dimension W is getting a dub on Toonami once Akame Ga Kill! finishes. It starts February 27.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/02/12/dimension-w-on-adult-swims-toonami/

Wow, that's very cool because of the speed of it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
aaa this sub used australian (?) slang for the little girl in episode 3

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeaaah i don't think this was a good past two episodes. it's like, b-movie horror schlock followed by the most disney-rear end ending imaginable and it's not like the spoopy ghost stuff is some kind of prominent part of the story, it's just a weird thing that happened because the number coils are magic.

I was worried I was the only one that had no patience for knockoff hollywood b-movie horror.
I hope they don't keep doing that stuff because I actually enjoyed the first three episodes when the super weird infinite energy generators were super weird infinite energy generators instead of a Necronomicon that summons ghosts. It's magic either way, but they could at least try to stay within a genre for the sake of consistency. Doing weird extra-dimensional poo poo when damaged is one thing, but turning into a heartfelt horror mystery about a tragic mix-up with a twist seems a bit too elaborate for malfunctioning technology.

Seems like a bit of an odd choice to adopt this part given that people have mentioned there's other stuff they've been glazing over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Believe me, the kids arc was way less interesting than this one

• Locked thread