Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Toonami promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qii6pBx5Ucs

Now, to watch today's episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no preview of Mira's VA...drat

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dropping this

Maybe I'll watch it once it finishes, if it gets more interesting later on. So far, there's been pretty much nothing I'd return for. Certainly nothing as impressive as I'd hoped it would be.

Nono keeps her throne.

This is kinda feeling like it is going to pull a gangsta on me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New villain could stand to be a bit less moustache-twirly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Appears that Kyoma's sister runs an exposition store, you enter and get lots of things, you already knew, explained.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

a kitten posted:

Toonami promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qii6pBx5Ucs

Now, to watch today's episode.

Is that? Space Dandy's VA?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is that? Space Dandy's VA?

I thought so too, but i guess not

Primary Cast:
Kyoma: Christopher R. Sabat
Albert: Eric Vale
Mira: Jad Saxton
Loser: J. Michael Tatum

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

a kitten posted:

I thought so too, but i guess not

Primary Cast:
Kyoma: Christopher R. Sabat
Albert: Eric Vale
Mira: Jad Saxton
Loser: J. Michael Tatum

wow it sounds really similar

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This is kinda feeling like it is going to pull a gangsta on me

I kinda feel like the original author must have come up with a really cool concept/setting/characters and then had no idea where to go with it.

I mean, I gonna keep watching regardless because Mira, I just wish the writing was a lot tighter than it has been.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

madmac posted:

I kinda feel like the original author must have come up with a really cool concept/setting/characters and then had no idea where to go with it.

I mean, I gonna keep watching regardless because Mira, I just wish the writing was a lot tighter than it has been.

This is pretty much the thought I had during this last episode. Still a cool show, just not a terribly well-written one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So that's, what, four different characters motivated by their dead wives now? Is this going to be a once-an-arc thing or something?

At least Easter Island looks like a neat setting. Hopefully they'll be able to bullshit a way for Mira to keep functioning - for the two leads of the show (and supposed partners), it's remarkable how little opportunity she and Kyoma have had to interact with each other and develop a friendship.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Darth Walrus posted:

So that's, what, four different characters motivated by their dead wives now? Is this going to be a once-an-arc thing or something?

At least Easter Island looks like a neat setting. Hopefully they'll be able to bullshit a way for Mira to keep functioning - for the two leads of the show (and supposed partners), it's remarkable how little opportunity she and Kyoma have had to interact with each other and develop a friendship.

In the manga they have a bit more time, but that's ... kinda the point. Kyouma doesn't want to befriend her. He's kind of a dick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

In the manga they have a bit more time, but that's ... kinda the point. Kyouma doesn't want to befriend her. He's kind of a dick.

Yes, that's a given, 'sweet-natured girl and surly older man' is a pretty common fictional pairing, but even if the guy's an abrasive dick, you need him to show his heart of gold eventually to explain why they stick together. So far, Kyoma's been a whole lot of tsun and not much dere, and you need to fix that eventually or the audience will start wondering why Mira doesn't just ditch the miserable bastard and have neat robot adventures on her own.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Not really. She has a mission, and recognizes that sticking with Kyoma is the best way to meet her objectives. She doesn't need to like him (even though she seems to for some reason), nor does she need him to like her.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Or maybe Kyoma will just be a giant dick forever. There is always that option.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Sentient robots aren't really a thing in this setting. Kyouma is an antisocial luddite and he doesn't really consider Mira a person. Just look at how he treated that cyborg kid by comparison.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

The mexican collector girl is pretty cute.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought this ep was straight up great, it's a cool setting, which really gives context into the characters and the world and the political lines.

NTE successfully subsumed enough governments into its bulk to form a world government, and so the only war that could occur could be a civil one. A transformative and a conservative faction arose, and the former was destroyed by the latter. Somehow, I suspect that Salva's sympathies lie with the former.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So did anyone else notice that the shadow government seems to be headed by Steve Jobs.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hagop posted:

So did anyone else notice that the shadow government seems to be headed by Steve Jobs.

Slick evil dudes these days seem to like turtlenecks.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So the dub of this airs tomorrow night to replace AkG in case anyone was wondering, it seems to be fairly well done as well.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So that one guy can fly... because coils. Right.

Also, am I going senile or did Loser originally have a young guy accompanying him? Who has now been replaced by his daughter?

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 28, 2016

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Also, am I going senile or did Loser originally have a young guy accompanying him? Who has now been replaced by his daughter?

same girl, they both disguise themselves on occasion.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Shakugan posted:

I think that was his daughter the whole time. Note how she has red eyes and calls Loser papa. It also explains why Mira thought the blond collector looked familiar when they met at the mansion. Granted, I didn't catch that until recently as her red eyes don't stand out between hair changes and her voice isn't terribly distinct.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I wish each episode of this series could be as good as this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm digging this arc a lot and the whole island has a very STALKER feel to it.

Shakugan posted:

I mean, he could just have two kids...

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 29, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So the terrible two episode haunted hotel murder mystery seems to have killed off the audience for this show? Everything prior and since those episodes has related to the overall narrative (and been much better).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Show good.

I got tired of the thread, I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shakugan posted:

So the terrible two episode haunted hotel murder mystery seems to have killed off the audience for this show? Everything prior and since those episodes has related to the overall narrative (and been much better).

I've just been behind on my anime watching but I've loved the hell out of the current arc. Haven't watched the most recent yet due to other engagements.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I've generally been enjoying this when it focuses on Mira and Kyoma, but even after the lame haunted-house arc ended, it's been spending most of its time on big groups of random side characters that I have a hard time caring about, so it's been pretty disappointing past the first couple episodes IMO. I keep watching in the hope that it'll get better, and it hasn't yet. Haven't seen episode 9 yet though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I caught up last night. I think it's good and it looks like it's going places. And Loser is back!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
coils actually generate electricity by tapping into the dead wife dimension

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

coils actually generate electricity by tapping into the dead wife dimension

Also, the local manifestation of Dimension W appears to be controlled by a sinister man in eyeshadow who isn't interested in women.

This may take some unpacking.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I caught up last night. I think it's good and it looks like it's going places. And Loser is back!

Yup, it's good. Also, we finally get a reason for Kyoma being such an rear end in a top hat to Mira.

Darth Walrus posted:

This may take some unpacking.

Noooo ....

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dimension Wife

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Finally... we have achieved access to the waifu dimension...

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Show had potential, when it was misterious dimension of nondescript horrors. Now that a mastermind crazy demented doctor has appeared and the MCs background is basically "I miss my wife" the story has deflated substantially.

Also holy crap I could care less about african supermodel man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Show had potential, when it was misterious dimension of nondescript horrors. Now that a mastermind crazy demented doctor has appeared and the MCs background is basically "I miss my wife" the story has deflated substantially.

Also holy crap I could care less about african supermodel man.

Could you?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Ka0 posted:

This is true.
I'll keep watching, because I've watched worse and there isn't a lot of anime right now that I'm interested in, but the overarching narrative of the show hasn't really been that compelling to me. It's not bad, but it isn't good either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
My anime-watching time has been reduced of late, so this is a show I've cut out. Which is sad, because Mira is super cute.

• Locked thread