Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffieDuckie

Once again the duckie clan got up early on a sunday morning, loaded up the minivan with animal crates, and started off on a rescue mission. for those of you who aren't used to these posts, i volunteer with an animal rescue group that partners with small rural shelters to pull animals from them and bring them to our more populated area to live in foster homes until they are adopted out.

the shelter we're going to today is the Manteca, California animal shelter. Manteca is a very small town in the california central valley and they have way more animals there than they have potential adopters. so someone needs to make the 4 hour round trip to go rescue those little critters and today that someone is us.

Our passengers today:

Sheila is a 12 pound cairn terrier mix. I don't know her story but she's clearly had many litters of puppies so someone likely used her to make money and then dropped her off at the shelter. She's the friendliest happiest dog and she's really really glad to meet us

Pickles is a 4 month old terrier mix. Pickles is happy happy happy and just wants hugs and snuggles and kisses

Toby is a GIANT orange kitty with a giant opinion on things. His giant opinion today is "i don't want to be put in a box and into a minivan and driven down the road". we get to hear about this the entire drive home

Pilgrim is a 6 month old teenager kitty whose favorite things are laps and purring and snuggling. Pilgrim is going to a pet store for an adoption display. kitties move really fast when they go there so pilgrim is a lucky kitty

Tabby is a scared little thing who was pulled from the Merced California shelter and shuttled over to meet us just to make the trip to the bay area. Tabby has had a rough day and would like to hang out under the bed and be left alone right now

This is a particularly difficult day because for whatever reason, no one can meet us at the house when we get back and we wind up being a pet hotel for the day. We start out with Pilgrim and Tabby hanging out in a bedroom together. Evidently they don't have compatible views on life and we have to move Pilgrim to the bathroom across the hall.

While we're accomplishing that, Pickles falls in the pool and hubby has to rescue him and let me tell you that water is cold

once pickles dries off and warms up, he and sheila play "who can get closer to the human" for a while.

i think pickles won that round

Thankfully grumpy toby gets picked up first and complains all the way to his foster mom's car.

Pickles mom comes next and we have to explain to her that pickles shouldn't be left unattended near bodies of water.

then we have HOURS to wait for the next pickup and since Sheila stinks like a bum's butthole my daughter decides to bathe her.

then i spend the next hour brushing mats out of her coat. she's so happy to be getting attention she lays on the couch and shows me her belly

when tabby's foster mom arrives it takes us 20 minutes to get her out from under the guest bed but she's purring when we put her in the kennel so i'm sure she's going to be a sweetheart when she recovers from her day

FINALLY after a 5 hour wait sheila's foster mom and dad come to pick her up. so now we're down to just pilgrim

pilgrim is spending the night because tomorrow she's going to the pet store an hour away. she's in the guest room right now getting cat hair on the new comforter and i'm raiding the liquor cabinet.

good luck little friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

thank you for sharing :love:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
i would just keep them all over and over again and then end up on national news as some sort of weirdo

nice job duckie

ScrubLeague

I like dogs + cats so thanks for doing a thing for those dogs + cats.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I would be pickles, OMG I'm homeless, yay I'm happy, look cool a pool, oh no I'm drowning, yay a person
God Speed Sweet Pickles

FluffieDuckie

ChairmanMeow posted:

I would be pickles, OMG I'm homeless, yay I'm happy, look cool a pool, oh no I'm drowning, yay a person
God Speed Sweet Pickles

yeah you've pretty much summed up how pickles lives life

he's still a puppy so there's hope

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

problematic hug

hey duckie it's pretty alright that you do this sort of thing. heck it's actually neat even

Matoi Ryuko

My mom worked for a shelter for like 2 years, her job was just like yours except that she also took alot of pictures, all of which are saved on this computer. In that time we fostered about 12 kittens, and adopted like 6 temporarily.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Toby is my spirit animal, as I am also gigantic and orange with strong negative opinions about cars.

----------------

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Duck finds a cat and a dog - You won't believe what happens next!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

a giant orange tabby boy in a bad mood? that's a rarity. all the orange boys I meet at the Hub are lovebugs.

they're sooooo cute. Pilgrim is gonna get adopted fast, she looks so sweet. so does Tabby, what a lovely little miss.

I'm currently fostering two kittens too, an orange boy and a scared tortie. They're sick so they get medicine twice a day. They're ridiculously cute.

FluffieDuckie

Sick kittens are the worst. You have these tiny thing that are suffering and all you can do is shove pills down their throats and pin them down and put drops in their eyes. It makes you feel like a heartless swine

literally a fish

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
I want to adopt all of the cats but my local council thingy limits us to two cats without a permit and they won't give me a permit without a "good reason" and apparently "i needs them" is not a "good reason"

there was this gorgeous black and white kitty at one of my local pet store adoption thingies and she was chill af and named blanchette which is a hop skip and a jump from a catte blanchett pun

cat pic;

this is an amazing lovely thing you do duckie and i love you for it

Coolness Averted

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
you're a good person duckie

Piso Mojado

Coolness Averted posted:

Big Mackson

FluffieDuckie posted:

Sick kittens are the worst. You have these tiny thing that are suffering and all you can do is shove pills down their throats and pin them down and put drops in their eyes. It makes you feel like a heartless swine

When i was 11 there were 5 kittens born. They had some virus or something and died one after another and only 1 survived. That kitten had a checker pattern on his face with alternating colors so it was the best kitten i ever had obviously.
you will feel better when they grow up and are alive.

also

Coolness Averted posted:

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

FluffieDuckie posted:

that's almost exactly what I'm doing now, except it's a liquid I shoot down their throats with a tiny syringe, and it is apparently the most disgusting thing ever to a cat.

they like the Terramycin though. soothing antibiotic eye ointment aw yee

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
My wife and I have 4 rescue kitties who are currently 8 years old and before that we had SIX rescued kitties who were with us for 17 years. Anyone who does what you do Fluffie Duckie is a Saint with a capital S!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

FluffieDuckie

thanks guys. i don't post these threads so people can say "duckie's so great". i post them bc yobbers like pictures of fluffy things and feel good stories of fluffy things getting new homes

i mean you're not breaking my heart saying i'm great but that's not my goal here

FluffieDuckie

on a side note i'm pretty sure pilgrim's trying to kill me.

everytime we walk by the door she cries pitifully she cries like her life is over so ofc i have to go in and say hi. she purrs like a mad kitty and rubs herself all over my body and becomes frantic if i try to leave. when my allergies are so bad i can't breathe i crawl out of the room and hit the inhaler, eyedrops, and antihistamine.

about the time i think i'm going to live she starts crying again. if i stop posting you know i died of adorableness

hemale in pain

Coolness Averted posted:

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
this is my favorite thread right now :kimchi:

will you say hi to pilgrim for me?

FluffieDuckie

Adiabatic posted:

this is my favorite thread right now :kimchi:

will you say hi to pilgrim for me?

the next time i've forgotten that going in there makes me die i'll say hi

PinkoBastard
thanks for posting this FluffieDuckie! the work that you're doing is really important AND you get to hang with rad animals. Personally I would like to pet the hell outta Toby.

FluffieDuckie

PinkoBastard posted:

thanks for posting this FluffieDuckie! the work that you're doing is really important AND you get to hang with rad animals. Personally I would like to pet the hell outta Toby.

toby was funny because he was all grumpy but when you went to pet him he was like well ok this is kind of great. he would be a hoot to live with i think

FutonForensic

i started volunteering at a shelter and the one thing i've learned is that animal shelters go through towels really quickly!! if any of you have a towel you don't like, maybe a giant novelty towel that says "i survived the dongarium and all i got was this towel," maybe you should consider donating it??

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

FluffieDuckie posted:

toby was funny because he was all grumpy but when you went to pet him he was like well ok this is kind of great. he would be a hoot to live with i think

100% my spirit animal.

----------------

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

wanna pet them dogs, and cats

Piso Mojado

hey duckie can you explain what kind of role/responsibilities a pet foster family has? like who decides which animals come and live with you, and for how long?

FluffieDuckie

Piso Mojado posted:

hey duckie can you explain what kind of role/responsibilities a pet foster family has? like who decides which animals come and live with you, and for how long?

most rescue groups let you know what animals are available and you get to pick which ones would fit in your home. like you don't get to just go to a shelter and pull your favorite animal because sometimes those animals are a liability like they bite people or are going to need really expensive medical bills or something. so the group looks at animals and comes up with a list of animals they're willing to take on and you can say which ones would work for you.

generally they like you to keep an animal until it's adopted but that's on a case by case basis. if something's not working out or you told them ahead of time you were going out of town or whatever they'll work with you.

some groups want you to come to pet fairs and be there to answer adoptor questions. some let you drop them off at pet fairs. our group doesn't do pet fairs and adopts them out using online advertising. so when an application comes in for our animal the director reviews it and if it looks ok she'll send it to us and we'll have the people come visit the animal at our house and we'll adopt from there. Other groups have shelters and only use foster homes for very young or very sick animals and once they're ready for adoption you return them to the shelter

The other main responsibility is driving to vet visits. almost all groups have specific vets they use and the vets bill the rescue group directly. i have had to take my animals to my regular vet in emergencies but you always have to get approval because generally the vet used by the rescue charges significantly less than other vets will charge them.

the important thing to remember is that there are thousands of rescue groups so if you're having trouble working with one there's always other groups that might be a better fit for you

smoobles

i like to go into an animal shelter and ask "who's a good boy?" and then the staff can direct me to the good boys, so i can adopt one

----------------

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

most rescue groups let you know what animals are available and you get to pick which ones would fit in your home. like you don't get to just go to a shelter and pull your favorite animal because sometimes those animals are a liability like they bite people or are going to need really expensive medical bills or something. so the group looks at animals and comes up with a list of animals they're willing to take on and you can say which ones would work for you.

generally they like you to keep an animal until it's adopted but that's on a case by case basis. if something's not working out or you told them ahead of time you were going out of town or whatever they'll work with you.

some groups want you to come to pet fairs and be there to answer adoptor questions. some let you drop them off at pet fairs. our group doesn't do pet fairs and adopts them out using online advertising. so when an application comes in for our animal the director reviews it and if it looks ok she'll send it to us and we'll have the people come visit the animal at our house and we'll adopt from there. Other groups have shelters and only use foster homes for very young or very sick animals and once they're ready for adoption you return them to the shelter

The other main responsibility is driving to vet visits. almost all groups have specific vets they use and the vets bill the rescue group directly. i have had to take my animals to my regular vet in emergencies but you always have to get approval because generally the vet used by the rescue charges significantly less than other vets will charge them.

the important thing to remember is that there are thousands of rescue groups so if you're having trouble working with one there's always other groups that might be a better fit for you

awesome! so I could feasibly go to a shelter and say that I'm not interested in adopting right now, but I would like to foster?

FluffieDuckie

Piso Mojado posted:

awesome! so I could feasibly go to a shelter and say that I'm not interested in adopting right now, but I would like to foster?

yes. likely they would give you young or sick animals to take care of until they're ready. the rescues without shelters are generally the ones that have active foster homes for adoptable animals

ymmv - google animal foster home with your city name and see what you get

Manifisto

This is very cool, thank you for sharing it and for helping these great animals get homes.

So duckie, you rescue animals and make quilts and are not at all evil. Are you sure, he asked nervously, there isn't an evil-twin version of you out there somewhere?

:ohdear:

ty nesamdoom!

Piso Mojado

Manifisto posted:

This is very cool, thank you for sharing it and for helping these great animals get homes.

So duckie, you rescue animals and make quilts and are not at all evil. Are you sure, he asked nervously, there isn't an evil-twin version of you out there somewhere?

lol

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I like the pictures of the dog

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I like the pictures of the dog

I also like the pictures of the kitty cats

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

"Hmm this one's name is... Cruel... Devil? Sounds legit"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
holy crap does this mean theres an "adopted" animal coat being stitched together in one of the various quilting rooms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

hi duckie

• Locked thread