Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hmmm, i can't remember what happened last time someone betrayed sugimoto the immortal and left him for dead

oh, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
still one of my favorite two page spreads in just about any series

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Saichi "The Immortal" Sugimoto, motherfuckers :toughguy:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Latest chapter is up and it's a good one as usual.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1102083/1

I hope Koito makes it. I wasn't a fan of him at first, but he really grew on me. Golden Kamuy is always so rough when the different factions bump into each other.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CrashScreen posted:

Latest chapter is up and it's a good one as usual.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1102083/1

I hope Koito makes it. I wasn't a fan of him at first, but he really grew on me. Golden Kamuy is always so rough when the different factions bump into each other.

yeah, so often i get bummed out that two awesome characters are in a fight to the death

thankfully the only long term character we lost so far in this arc was one that i didn't care about

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
These last two chapters have demonstrated that while Boutarou is outclassed by Sugimoto, Hijikata and Ushiyama, there was a good drat reason he was sent to the hardest prison in Japan. His facade of good cheer and friendliness is only a mask, the look on his face before snatching Koito is the real Boutarou the Pirate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

New chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1106815

That ending sequence is loving magical.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The sheer levels of stark brutality and merry whimsy that this manga manages to balance are god drat staggering.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Oh Snapple! posted:

New chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1106815

That ending sequence is loving magical.

It really is.

copy posted:

The sheer levels of stark brutality and merry whimsy that this manga manages to balance are god drat staggering.

drat straight.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Tsukishma's face on page 11 is scary asf.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

yum posted:

Tsukishma's face on page 11 is scary asf.

I think that's the first time Koito was able to talk to Tsurumi directly, instead of whispering to Tsukishma's ear and have him as a mouthpiece. And the good sergeant doesn't like that. Not one bit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Lol

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"
the fanbook was released this week and a translation of the Q&A section (fan-submitted questions chosen and answered by Noda) can be found here. it's pretty fun.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

quote:

Q4: You mentioned in a previous Q&A that the fur Asirpa wears belonged to Retar’s parent despite you being unable to find a place for it in the story. Are there any other details that couldn’t make it?

Noda: The boots Sugimoto is wearing while in Hokkaido were stripped off the officer he beat half to death.

Holy poo poo.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
loving Kadokura

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

Q32: No offence intended, but there’s quite a lot of nudity in Golden Kamuy. Still, Kirawus hasn’t even taken his matanpushi (head scarf) off. Will he ever show some skin?
Noda: Unless completely necessary, I don’t draw nudity. Kirawus will get naked when the time calls.

lies

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

that was one of my favorites. pairs especially well with Noda's comments on Tanigaki's character profile (from here, same translator):

Satoru Noda posted:

There was a possibility of Golden Kamuy’s main character being a combination of him and Sugimoto. The difference between them is that Sugimoto is an amateur when it comes to hunting. The matagi aspect is kind of good too. Sugimoto is the main character, so I couldn’t make him too hairy and voluptuous either. He’s not the mainstream type, but he is my type. There is a matagi ritual called kuraidori and I wanted to illustrate it as part of the time he spent with Nihei, I went as far as to draw the rough outline of the scene, but it was way too lewd, so I gave up. Do your own research regarding the ritual. The one initiated was supposed to be Nihei. By the way, you can tell the passage of time by the length of his hair. I would like to draw his leg and finger hair properly too, but it would be too much for a weekly manga. I will die. Tanigaki will kill me. I want to be killed by him.
as for what kuraidori is:

quote:

Kuraidori is a matagi ritual of initiation. As a summary, when the chief declares that it’s time for kuraidori, the ones to participate in the hunt for the first time get naked and into a standing position with their legs spread wide. Next someone appointed from experienced hunters warms his hands over a bonfire, grabs the penis of the newcomer and rubs it until it gets hard. The standing one shouldn’t resist or move. Wooden embers are tied to the erect penis with twine as it gets shaken; they smolder and sparks fly but the hunter is not allowed to raise his voice or put them out. He jumps around and sways his hips, which is said to please the mountain god.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
This series just gets better with every passing bit of trivia, drat

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Q23: While escaping the hospital in Sakhalin, Ogata had naught but the hospital robe on his back, with his dick in the free, and he seemed to be so cold. Yet when he reappears, he’s wearing clothes. Where did he get them?
Noda: An old man caught him in the act of stealing laundry that was hanging outside and let him stay at his place for a while, he fed him too. That man lost a grandson in the Russo-Japanese war. Ogata stayed there for 5 days and then disappeared, leaving a dried cod on the table.

lmao

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I just caught up on about eighty chapters of backlog and the experience has been WILD. Three whole major character deaths! Somehow only three, Sugimoto is the one with the immortal epithet because he's the loudest about it.

The reunion chapter is gonna live in my head rent free for a bit. Asirpa almost taking a life, Sugimoto carving out a man's eyeball and slurping around in the socket, the hug after so much time apart and then. Piss. Piss everywhere. An emotional rollercoaster for the ages

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
I was confused about the third major character death until I did the mental math on "eighty chapters". holy hell, it's already been that long?! it's ONLY been that long?!

Alopex posted:

The reunion chapter is gonna live in my head rent free for a bit. Asirpa almost taking a life, Sugimoto carving out a man's eyeball and slurping around in the socket, the hug after so much time apart and then. Piss. Piss everywhere. An emotional rollercoaster for the ages

I read the first fifty chapters or so in maybe early '18, but added the series to my watchlist as like a reminder to go back to it eventually. having been (willingly) spoiled on the broad strokes of what happened up through Abashiri, then EXTREMELY broad strokes after (I knew who the traveling parties were and roughly why they were going, nothing else), I decided out of nowhere one day to pop over to the latest chapter and see what's current. that chapter was the reunion. I am, to this day, astounded by my timing.

it was a really good idea because nothing could possibly have better motivated me to spend a solid weekend catching up like that breathtaking 18-page sequence of events.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

New chapter!

Where do I begin with this one? I always love the constant changing of allegiances. It's believable, and everyone a consistent personal goal that never seems to get lost in the chaos of all these men fighting for that goal. Poor Asirpa is changing hands a lot in all of this lately. I'm glad we only lost one character in the big Sapporo brawl. Also, Vasily thinking in mmph mmphs was a good joke, nevermind the car.

A very good chapter. Noda continues to balance stake and comedy.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Sup. If I just watched the latest episode of the anime, where Lt. Tsurumi is revealed to have taught japanese to Wilk and Kiroranke while living as a spy in Vladivostok, what chapter of the manga should I start with? Or should I just begin at the beginning.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Raposa posted:

Sup. If I just watched the latest episode of the anime, where Lt. Tsurumi is revealed to have taught japanese to Wilk and Kiroranke while living as a spy in Vladivostok, what chapter of the manga should I start with? Or should I just begin at the beginning.

If you've only watched the anime I would recommend starting at the beginning honestly. The second season completely skipped over a whole bunch of stories that are worth reading imo.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
^ agreed, reading it from the beginning is worth it. Having said that, as of last episode we are up to chapter 179.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CrashScreen posted:

New chapter!

Where do I begin with this one? I always love the constant changing of allegiances. It's believable, and everyone a consistent personal goal that never seems to get lost in the chaos of all these men fighting for that goal. Poor Asirpa is changing hands a lot in all of this lately. I'm glad we only lost one character in the big Sapporo brawl. Also, Vasily thinking in mmph mmphs was a good joke, nevermind the car.

A very good chapter. Noda continues to balance stake and comedy.

a car chase involving a novelty food shaped vehicle

this series spoils me rotten, it's like it's written especially for me

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh my loving god the ending of the latest chapter :allears:

I unironically love it when this manga portrays Sugimoto as an unstoppable force of nature that fucks up everything that gets in his way.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Linking the chapter but yeah, this was a good one. RIP Botarou. Thank you for saving Shiraishi. I actually vocalised "No" when I saw the guns trained on him.

Gonna second that I love Sugimoto the Unstoppable Force. It never fails to get me pumped for the next chapter.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Sugimoto is angry :getin:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CrashScreen posted:

Linking the chapter but yeah, this was a good one. RIP Botarou. Thank you for saving Shiraishi. I actually vocalised "No" when I saw the guns trained on him.

Gonna second that I love Sugimoto the Unstoppable Force. It never fails to get me pumped for the next chapter.

he's like the loving terminator

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know of any relatively readable/popular-audience English-language histories on the Russo Japanese war and the setting of Golden Kamuy? Asking for a friend

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Does anyone know of any relatively readable/popular-audience English-language histories on the Russo Japanese war and the setting of Golden Kamuy? Asking for a friend

IIRC (if i remember college), Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear and The Tsar's Last Armada are decent.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new chapter 265

i have a hard time keeping track of all of the 7th division member's backstories and motivations, do we know if there's a reason why the sergeant is so visibly affected by the news that tsurumi had a family?

at some point i should do a re-read of the series and pay more attention to each member of the 7th division, but outside of koito and ogata i tend to lose track of how each of them got to this point and what specifically they're hoping to achieve

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

new chapter 265

i have a hard time keeping track of all of the 7th division member's backstories and motivations, do we know if there's a reason why the sergeant is so visibly affected by the news that tsurumi had a family?

My theory is that he's not reacting to that, but to the realization that Tsurumi can speak Russian

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

new chapter 265

at some point i should do a re-read of the series and pay more attention to each member of the 7th division, but outside of koito and ogata i tend to lose track of how each of them got to this point and what specifically they're hoping to achieve

I think he may be questioning whether Tsurumis’ motivation for rebelling against the government is to avenge the fallen 7th division or for his dead wife and daughter

Not too sure myself

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't Tsurumi motivate him into joining him by appealing to a shared past of lost loves or something.

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007

yum posted:

I think he may be questioning whether Tsurumis’ motivation for rebelling against the government is to avenge the fallen 7th division or for his dead wife and daughter
yeah, my interpretation here is that Tsukishima is angry that Tsurumi's true motives aren't as noble and high-minded as he's claimed, and thus he's been the faithful right-hand not of a visionary leader but of a man who just wants vengeance for his dead wife and baby. it's a hell of a lot harder to rationalize his actions when they've been in service to something like this the whole time.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1189457/1

New chapter.

I believe Shiraishi's line about something seeming off about Tsurumi in Karafuto refers to these 7 pages that were added in the tankobon release that add a lot of context to his motivation that was not in the weekly release.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god drat, i love how this series will just randomly go from the pages of the deepest pathos directly into a stupid sight gag and pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

new chapter 265

A major part of Tsukishima's back story was how Tsurumi convinced him to join after the whole "your loved one is dead/wait she's alive" side story. Tsurumi basically convinced Tsukishima to live and come work with him because "I need a translator, you're a great Russian translator". to which Tsukishima said "wtf I can't speak any Russian" which gave us the line "Study like your life depends on it then!".

It may seem like a little thing but taking away that whole motivation of "I need a Russian translator and right hand man" basically starts to break down all of the narrative that Tsurumi has been weaving for not only his right hand man but the whole basis for what the 7th is doing.