Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Haha you loving maniac.

If you're going to set fire to huge stacks of money why not jam the W8 into the Golf and get the license plate "gently caress IT?"

I am so happy that AI has decided over the last few weeks to start trying to top themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

More common than you think. I know Honda has used them since the 90s on the Accord, and a lot of Toyota 1MZ-FEs got them too

Liquid motor mounts are pretty popular (Subaru insists on using them even though they are useless and burst - a much worse vibration than just worn rubber would be).

I doubt anyone other than the Germans has thought to make an adjustable, vacuum actuated hydraulic motor mount though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those latter two codes refer to the heater circuits in the O2 sensor(s), which have nothing to do with climate control.

A narrowband (and probably wideband too) O2 sensor only works within a very narrow temperature range, so in order to make sure that they work quickly after a cold start the car runs the heater circuit on the O2 sensor to pre-warm the reactory bit so it can get to operating temperature faster.

If you are chucking that code generally it means one of two things:
  • O2 sensor is fuckered and needs replacement
  • O2 sensor wiring is fuckered and needs heroism
P0161 usually indicates an open circuit on the heater. If you park the OBD2 reader in one of the modes that give you live O2 sensor readings - once the car is up to temp, of course - it should help you figure out whether or not it is the heater specifically or the common ground wire.

Since Bank 2/Sensor 2 is probably the post-cat O2 sensor, I would be tempted to multimeter the harness before you get into high speed parts swapping mode. The post-cat sensor in pretty much every car has a mile of wiring in front of it; plenty of opportunities to get severed by an exhaust heat shield or caught in a spinning bit of some kind. It would be bad to spend a hundo-plus on a new sensor before figuring out that twelve cents of wiring and solder would have fixed it.

If the O2 sensor has never been replaced in the car's lifetime I would assume it is the sensor. O2 sensors are a lot like spark plugs - as they age they start getting squirrelly rather than dying altogether. Usually the heater circuit failing is your first indication of a near-dead O2 sensor.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Wait, stop there.

Also wtf is a thermostat heater circuit? Do I want to know? Did VAG design some crazy poo poo that doesn't need to exist?

Some modern cars, and I'm aware of both VAG and BMW products that do this, have electronically controlled thermostats.

The car can run at a higher water temperature when cruising and cooler when pinning it. The ECU achieves this by goosing an old school wax thermostat with an electric heater element.

I guess the idea is that combustion works better (higher efficiency) the closer you get to a 230F temperature but you need to also drop that temperature to prevent detonation under big throttle events. Probably also some cold-start benefits?

http://www.counterman.com/electrically-assisted-thermostat-smarter-way-greater-engine-efficiency/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 25, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

I read somewhere that in order to get to the O2 sensors, you DO need to pull the engine.

Did VW build this car to see just how far they could go before their fanboys would abandon them?

If they're tucked that far inside, I would replace the sensors and trace the harness back. Chances are someone pushed the wires off some retaining clip over the years and the harness has rubbed against a heat shield.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What the gently caress is going on with those uprights?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I dimly remember something about soldering and O2 sensor wires. Namely that you should not do it.

But I don't remember why. Maybe resistance?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It turns out that O2 sensor wires are magical:

quote:

Older style oxygen sensors have a small hole in the body so air can enter the sensor, but newer style sensors breathe through their wire connectors and have no vent hole. Grease should never be applied to the wires where they enter the sensor, because it would prevent proper air circulation. So will dirt and other contaminates. Because of the difference in oxygen and temperature levels between the inside and outside of the bulb, a small voltage is created and can be measured by the PCM.
Don't solder O2 sensor wires.

quote:

Wires you can solder- the heaters.

Wires you should not solder- the main signal and the reference line. Why? As odd as it sounds, that's where the sensor gets air into the thimble so that it can act as a battery. Why not a hole near the sensor? It's not generally a great location- easy to plug up, make a mess of.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just take the bolt to somewhere that sells metric fasteners and find a good match.

I think the last time I did an Audi product of the same era it was M8x1.25.

You could always try "order a bunch of poo poo from belmetric and see what fits," which is a method I've used in the past that at the very least results in my spare parts bolt bin getting filled with future rear end-savers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hi I'm scuz and I'm trying my level hardest to make a base model Golf into as big of a project as the W8 Passat I was cruelly denied by the intervention of my loving parents.

This is gonna be good!

• Locked thread