Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
No, it's not an MMO anime and they aren't trapped inside a game, let's get that out of the way.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Hai to Gensou no Grimgar)

Official Synopsis posted:

A-1 Pictures | Nakamura, Ryousuke | Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy | Jan 11, 2016 | Licensed by Funimation

Why are we here? Why are we doing this? Before Haruhiro had realized what happened, he was surrounded by darkness. Why was he here? Where was here? Even now, he still didn't know. Those around him were the same as him, no one remembered anything other than their own names. And when they emerged from the darkness, the world that awaited them seemed like something out of a video game. In order to survive, Haruhiro forms a party with the others, learns fighting skills, and as a soldier in the reserve force, takes his first steps into the world of Grimgar. What awaits him there, he doesn't know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPZYCT09yghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np_YYbCsyF4

Synopsis:
A group of people wake up in a dark tower with no memories, and quickly encounter the Volunteer Reserve Forces in charge of suppressing the monsters and demi-humans surrounding the town they've awoken in. With no other choice available to them, they agree to learn to become soldiers and make a living exterminating the local monsters.

They are each are trained to take up a different standard RPG class, and while the world is a pretty stock RPG setting and the classes have special techniques, there is no actual leveling system, and despite the trapped-in-another-world premise, the amnesia means that the characters don't even know what a video game is.

The problem is, they suck at it. Our mighty heroes struggle to defeat even a single goblin, and the series is about them getting by being nearly broke in the fantasy setting and attempting to slowly get stronger instead of going on grand adventures. Their job description involves less adventure and more mugging goblins for their possessions to sell in order to scrape by.

Cast:
Haruhiro: The protagonist and Thief. Voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino

Manato: Team leader and Priest. Voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki.

Moguzo: Warrior. Voiced by Fukushi Ochiai.

Ranta: Dark Knight and cocky rear end in a top hat. Voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino.

Shihoru: Magician. Voiced by Haruka Terui.

Yume: Hunter. Voiced by Mikako Komatsu.

Renji: Warrior and leader of the other party, who are considerably stronger than our heroes. Voiced by Tomokazu Seki.

Author's list of inspirations posted:

Dragon Quest, Wizardry, Final Fantasy, Megami Tensei, Metal Max, Romancing Saga, Breath of Fire, Live a Live, Chrono Trigger, Arc the Lad, Tactics Ogre, Gensou Suikoden, Tales of Phantasia, Wild Arms, Final Fantasy Tactics, Star Ocean, Mary’s Atelier (the Atelier series), SaGa Frontier, Xenogears, and other roleplaying games for home consoles have always been my saviors.

It's a pretty cool show with some nice animation and I've got high hopes for it. Sort of an action slice of life so far. I'll guarantee that you won't find more intense goblin fights anywhere else.

Oh and did I mention how nice the backgrounds are just look at this.

Translations for the light novels can be found here. Please tag LN spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ranta is so chaotic neutral it shines through in a setting with no alignment system. Meaning, kid is actively detrimental to the rest of the party.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Mage is the best, as Mages always are.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This is a good show that people should be watching. Can't wait to learn more.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I just started episode 2 of this and man I can't help but feel this series will get dark :ohdear:
I might peek at those LNs just for the sake of characterization. I'm all kinds of curious about the setting at this point.

I am at least glad fist bumps survived the memory wipe.

edit: wow okay this is going places

wolfs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 19, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love this so far. Chill most of the time, real intense when it wants to be. Our protagonists are so woefully unsuited for the adventuring life.

Like most "trapped in a RPG/fantasy world" stories, I find I care little as to the why, and just want them to deal with the consequences as best they're able.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I love this so far. Chill most of the time, real intense when it wants to be. Our protagonists are so woefully unsuited for the adventuring life.

Like most "trapped in a RPG/fantasy world" stories, I find I care little as to the why, and just want them to deal with the consequences as best they're able.

The show's quality will likely be inversely proportional to how long it spends explaining what happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Generally, people who can't even take down goblins aren't gonna find or do anything about a big ol' world traveling system.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm enjoying this way more than I expected I would. Thief and Priest totally had a couple of moments in the second episode lol.

Kinda wish it didn't feel like it had to check off a cliche per episode though; the "peep on the girls in the bath" thing felt really tacked-on and unnecessary.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm enjoying this way more than I expected I would. Thief and Priest totally had a couple of moments in the second episode lol.

Kinda wish it didn't feel like it had to check off a cliche per episode though; the "peep on the girls in the bath" thing felt really tacked-on and unnecessary.

Ranta decided to do something outrageous after letting everybody see him act like he did the previous day. He'd clearly rather people see him as a supremely confident person than somebody clearly insecure about what he's doing after finishing off that goblin.

Reds fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 19, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Devil Tesla posted:

The show's quality will likely be inversely proportional to how long it spends explaining what happened.

It's interesting how by taking away most* of the characters' memories regarding the world they came from, the show doesn't have to spend time on the usual "oh no, how do we get home" plot and can do its own thing.

*There seems to still be something there, as evidenced by the guy carving a plane but probably not really remembering what it is.

I'm also really curious about the "Ash" part of the title.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The first episode was already promising, but this show really shot to the top of my list after the second one. I don't think I've seen an anime fight as tense or as messy before, and that long, dialogue-free scene afterwards told everything it needed to without a single word. Really hope it can keep it up through the whole season.

So I'm not the only one who thinks Britney is more than he seems, right? He's the only one who looks like he knows what's going on, and I'm guessing he's deeply involved in the greater mystery of how they got to Grimgar.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

*There seems to still be something there, as evidenced by the guy carving a plane but probably not really remembering what it is.

That was a really cool scene.

Reds posted:

Ranta decided to do something outrageous after letting everybody see him act like he did the previous day. He'd clearly rather people see him as a supremely confident person than somebody clearly insecure about what he's doing after finishing off that goblin.

I just think the show could accomplish all that without lowering itself to cheap, wacky hijinks and to me Ranta's characterization has suffered for it. So far in both episodes that stuff has been the low point for me and both scenes felt out of place vs the mood of the rest of the show.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Think of it as Ranta acting out the part of what he thinks a man is supposed to be. He's just had bad role models.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Easy rear end av there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of the other recipients of the great anime rear end spree of 2016 have already changed theirs, the cowards

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
darkgray still has his.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Serious Frolicking posted:

all of the other recipients of the great anime rear end spree of 2016 have already changed theirs, the cowards

tragic

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Where the hell did those even come from? Having them show up between one page and the next in a D&D thread was a surreal experience.

Anyway the bath peeping thing was cliche, but since they didn't show any skin, I'm going to allow it as yet another way of showing how badly Ranta is overcompensating. I half expect him to mouth off to the wrong NPC(?) and lose a hand or something.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rangpur posted:

Where the hell did those even come from? Having them show up between one page and the next in a D&D thread was a surreal experience.

Baal got the first butt av, and I think might have been from Games. Then it became a meme in the chat thread,, so some person(s) took up buying butt avs for random people in this subforum.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Asses come and go, like the wind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They should just have that guy carve wooden toys instead of hunting monsters, probably would be more lucrative.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

They should just have that guy carve wooden toys instead of hunting monsters, probably would be more lucrative.

Too bad that there is literally no other work available. It is hunt monsters or starve to death. I guess that premise becomes a bit more plausible when you consider that there have been amnesiac world travelers coming for a while, so presumably the earlier ones snatched up every conceivable job. Still kinda silly, though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

Too bad that there is literally no other work available. It is hunt monsters or starve to death. I guess that premise becomes a bit more plausible when you consider that there have been amnesiac world travelers coming for a while, so presumably the earlier ones snatched up every conceivable job. Still kinda silly, though.

If one post I saw is correct, according to the LNs they could have picked non-violent jobs, but they got conned into a combat role. Dunno the details though if that's true.

Reds fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I felt bad for that gob. Just minding his own business and a bunch of people pop out of the bushes and murder him.

I guess it could be compared to culling deer or something, but the gobs seem at least somewhat intelligent (probably smarter than gorillas or something at least) so it comes off as morally questionable. It could also be explained if there was some massive epidemic of monsters everywhere, but based upon how long it took them to find targets to kill that doesn't seem to be the case.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

someone translate the manga spinoff starring the goblins please

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The problem was that the target they had in mind was lone goblin that doesn't look too scary.
And the gob was probably close to human in all but face. Once you figure out tools, fire and armor you're three quarters to civilization.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Reds posted:

If one post I saw is correct, according to the LNs they could have picked non-violent jobs, but they got conned into a combat role. Dunno the details though if that's true. Seems a bit flimsy.

The mercenary/monster hunter guild guy in the first episode claimed there's no other work to be had and that was the first person they pretty much met, so I guess everyone just unquestionably believed him.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2016

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Seconding that the gob murder was pretty brutal, on both sides.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I think it's a matter of how in MMOs and other RPGs you kind of have to fight monsters to get anywhere because that's like the only source of income they designed. They can't be shopkeeps or so because those roles are all taken by NPCs who will never lose their position or have openings because they aren't designed to. So it's kind of taking that to its logical conclusion if the characters in an RPG absolutely needed to eat and stuff in order to survive - there's no way to make money hanging around town, sooner or later you'd absolutely have to go out and fight things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It probably would have gone smoothly if the dark knight guy wasn't such a dumbass.

Speaking of him, I don't see him as much of a "chaotic neutral" character like I think someone mentioned before. I think he'll get a pretty typical character arc where he realizes being dumbass is bad and deals with his obvious self-esteem issues. The fact that he was all freaked out by killing the goblin makes it pretty clear that he isn't amoral or anything.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I hope this series finds new ways to be interesting because the whole being poo poo at video games thing is a very temporary thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Demicol posted:

The mercenary/monster hunter guild guy in the first episode claimed there's no other work to be had and that was the first person they pretty much met, so I guess everyone just unquestionably believed him.

He also gave them a bit of starting money to live on with the condition that they join. Otherwise, it's out on the street with no money and no idea of what's going on. What happened to their old clothes though? I'm sure the material they're made out of would probably be worth a decent amount compared to typical clothes of that setting unless ~magic~

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Xelkelvos posted:

He also gave them a bit of starting money to live on with the condition that they join. Otherwise, it's out on the street with no money and no idea of what's going on. What happened to their old clothes though? I'm sure the material they're made out of would probably be worth a decent amount compared to typical clothes of that setting unless ~magic~
They are bad at video games. They didn't even try to murder the mouthy NPC and loot his shop.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

grrarg posted:

They are bad at video games. They didn't even try to murder the mouthy NPC and loot his shop.

:shopkeeper:

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Just quoting this to bring attention to the LNs. They're nicely written, and the show actually skipped over 90% of the exposition. It's not a big loss, in my opinion, because it accomplishes very little other than demonstrating how hopeless and incompetent the party is, but it does properly identify all the major characters.

The part I really like is where the author goes "no wait, gently caress this bullshit" after explaining the concept of banking in detail and just has everyone show up to their guilds, much like what happened in the show.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 21, 2016

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It probably would have gone smoothly if

It would have sucked if it went smoothly. It wasn't a fight, it was a murder. A bunch of bullies beating up some kid and taking his lunch money. That's why the fight was so brutal and tense- on some level everyone knew how hosed up it was, and was resisting fighting it until thief was getting strangled.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

filthychimp posted:

The part I really like is where the author goes "no wait, gently caress this bullshit" after explaining the concept of banking in detail and just has everyone show up to their guilds, much like what happened in the show.

Does it explain what sort of training they underwent, since the show sort of glossed over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

I felt bad for that gob. Just minding his own business and a bunch of people pop out of the bushes and murder him.

I guess it could be compared to culling deer or something, but the gobs seem at least somewhat intelligent (probably smarter than gorillas or something at least) so it comes off as morally questionable. It could also be explained if there was some massive epidemic of monsters everywhere, but based upon how long it took them to find targets to kill that doesn't seem to be the case.

They're probably searching very safe places quite close to the town, I assume the further from civilization you get the more

Ytlaya posted:

Does it explain what sort of training they underwent, since the show sort of glossed over that.

Basic combat training for their class that was only about a week long, ten days at most.

genericnick posted:

The problem was that the target they had in mind was lone goblin that doesn't look too scary.
And the gob was probably close to human in all but face. Once you figure out tools, fire and armor you're three quarters to civilization.

It's basically the first time in a while that somebody has acknowledged what demi-human means. Not quite human, but getting there. It's very easy to feel bad for something that's just hanging around and doing normal things.

• Locked thread