Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phobophilia posted:

In that case, Lifeless King would sound cooler.

The light novel translations go for Deathless King.

On the goblins being murdered. The ones in the ruins are the outcasts of Goblin society kicked out for some reason. The ruins are the old city, the fortified and maintained part of the town is were all the big shot gobs hang out. Though the Goblins have started fortifying the old city as well and covered the area in patrols.

It's the reason the party does not go there anymore.

Slime posted:

They're basically murdering goblins and kobolds for their weapons, jewelry, money, and sometimes body parts. It's possible there's some sort of bounty system too, where if they can prove they got a kill they get some sort of payment.

There is a bounty system as well for notable monsters. Dead Spots has a 30 Gold bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The light novel translations go for Deathless King.

On the goblins being murdered. The ones in the ruins are the outcasts of Goblin society kicked out for some reason. The ruins are the old city, the fortified and maintained part of the town is were all the big shot gobs hang out. Though the Goblins have started fortifying the old city as well and covered the area in patrols.

It's the reason the party does not go there anymore.

So not only were they going around murdering innocent goblins, they were going around murdering hobo goblins. And they murdered them enough that the other goblins actually started to give a poo poo about it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Slime posted:

So not only were they going around murdering innocent goblins, they were going around murdering hobo goblins. And they murdered them enough that the other goblins actually started to give a poo poo about it.

While the first two parts are true. It's likely the Goblins are just expanding their territory. All the depressed hobo goblins are noted as being gone likely having been chased out. As Haru was able tell the difference between the Goblins from the city and the exiles. (Namely that all the exiles had a slight look of depression, even the elite hobgoblin and his gang. While the city goblins has a focused and organized look.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Well the existence of a militarized goblin society puts things in a slightly different perspective. The whole "go exterminate green skins" deal could also be a response to the goblins becoming hostile. I dunno what the history of human-goblin relations is in grimgar.

I mean murdering outcast goblin hobos who specifically are not part of the militarized goblin society still isn't right but it'd help the humans not seem like total assholes

Isn't there an actual human army who's job is to get rid of the goblins and kobolds, but they're grabbing teenagers to draft into the "volunteer" army because the actual army is off fighting something? I wonder who/what they're fighting

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Orc tribes it seems

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So the grimgar special is out
Remember the bath scene from the book/first few episodes? I guess they couldn't help themselves :pervert:

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Maybe its a reference to the gamer in south park? How do you kill that which has no life?

Also i made the mistake of reading the wikipedia article. Major loving spoilers. so what happens to their warrior exactly?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 26, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

Maybe its a reference to the gamer in south park? How do you kill that which has no life?

Also i made the mistake of reading the wikipedia article. Major loving spoilers.

check your PMs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yume channeling legolas this week, and caster supremacy is making a good showing too.

And I'm only halfway.

Edit: that's some drat good stuff. F'real.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2016

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

More please.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Zodiaco best grimgar

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Australia!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Time to start reading the LN translations.

The voice for Zodiaco was a surprise, and sounded similar to the kids from Barakamon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A shame we did not get to see Renji and his party in action because they skipped a scene to go to Dead Spot.

Before the part were Ranta gets separated and they fight Dead Spot. The town is invaded by Orcs. Haru ends up running away from one and encountering Renji's group. Right as more orcs pour into the town along with their leader. The Orc leader is capable of speaking the human tounge and announces his presence. So Renji challenges the Orc boss to a duel under the condition that if he wins the orcs bail. Renji goes through a hard duel with the Orc boss and after a feint at the end kills him and claims the Orc boss' weapon and sends the rest of the Orcs packing due to his victory. Something that shows Haru the major differences between them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a gallery of all the eyecatches, not technically :nws:, but erring on the side of caution mainly due to episode 2.5

http://imgur.com/a/M6qdG

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MonsterEnvy posted:

A shame we did not get to see Renji and his party in action because they skipped a scene to go to Dead Spot.

Before the part were Ranta gets separated and they fight Dead Spot. The town is invaded by Orcs. Haru ends up running away from one and encountering Renji's group. Right as more orcs pour into the town along with their leader. The Orc leader is capable of speaking the human tounge and announces his presence. So Renji challenges the Orc boss to a duel under the condition that if he wins the orcs bail. Renji goes through a hard duel with the Orc boss and after a feint at the end kills him and claims the Orc boss' weapon and sends the rest of the Orcs packing due to his victory. Something that shows Haru the major differences between them.

Even one scene like that (Showing aggression from the demihuman races/weakness of Hal's party) would have added rather a lot to the climax of the show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ya know, i'm actually moderately surprised that Ranta actually has an honest to god demon thing he can conjure up. Not surprised that it was both a jerk and unhelpful, being a demon and all

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Zodiaco probably gets "useful" the more Ranta levels up or summons it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not sure how to feel about this ending. Ranta somehow escapes being surrounded with the stairs collapsed, offsceen, and Haruhiro randomly kills Date Spots by himself with a super critical hit. For a show with themes of teamwork and knowing your weaknesses, it all seems a bit contrived just to create a happy ending.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ka0 posted:

Zodiaco probably gets "useful" the more Ranta levels up or summons it.

The more vices he collects the more useful it is. It's form changes and it becomes more obedient

Ranta is currently in the 60 or so vice catagory and I can't remember how many more he needs for Zodiaco to rank up. For now all the demon can do is inform Ranta when unknown enemies are coming closer and to wispier into enemies ears to distract them and lower their guard, however they will only be done if the Demon feels like it at the moment.

Clarste posted:

Not sure how to feel about this ending. Ranta somehow escapes being surrounded with the stairs collapsed, offsceen, and Haruhiro randomly kills Date Spots by himself with a super critical hit. For a show with themes of teamwork and knowing your weaknesses, it all seems a bit contrived just to create a happy ending.
The LN goes into a bit more detail on Ranta's alone time. During the fight with Dead Spot the beast is clearly going to kill them. Haru does the sacrifice to distract the beast but gets knocked into the wall right away and the thing turns around to go after the rest of the party. Upon which the Line shows up and allows him to kill Dead Spot. Haru goes through a lot of time in the future tying to figure out how to make the line show up at will. Noting that the only reason they survived was pure luck and that they seriously need to improve.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, is there more the LN (manga?) past what the Anime has shown so far? Like, this setting and premise has a lot of potential, but holy fuckkk did it ever drag. Only the last 2 episodes had anything close to palatable pacing. At least the show looked brilliant enough to keep my mind off the molasses-like pacing through the earlier bits.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are more volumes of the LN, yes. i don't feel like the slow pacing is something the anime would just create on its own though, and maybe it's not the series for you if you didn't like that.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
The anime deliberately cultivated a slower pace and a false sense of lightheartedness. I'd never describe the novels as "slice of life", for example. I'm also kinda annoyed they skipped the orc invasion before the party goes the to Cyrene mines. That chapter actually accomplished a few different things.

The anime covered the first 2 volumes. Vol 3 is being translated now, vol 8 is out in japan. I recommend you read v2 ch1 (orc invasion), and then just skip to volume 3.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yea this along with turning out the lights and that 3 frames per second "animation" was some serious bullshit. Oh and mage girl suddenly has nukes?

.Clash fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 28, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

.Clash posted:

Yea this along with turning out the lights and that 3 frames per second "animation" was some serious bullshit. Oh and mage girl suddenly has nukes?

It's very clear in the LN that she does not have nukes. All of her magic is based around disabling rather then damage.

filthychimp posted:

The anime deliberately cultivated a slower pace and a false sense of lightheartedness. I'd never describe the novels as "slice of life", for example. I'm also kinda annoyed they skipped the orc invasion before the party goes the to Cyrene mines. That chapter actually accomplished a few different things.

The anime covered the first 2 volumes. Vol 3 is being translated now, vol 8 is out in japan. I recommend you read v2 ch1 (orc invasion), and then just skip to volume 3.
Maybe the Orc invasion will be one of the ovas.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i loved everything about this anime

what are the chances of a second season happening? i assume nothing official has come up at all, but did it at least succeed in making a lot of LN sales happen?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

.Clash posted:

I assume, given how damage-light her arsenal is, that they just stun and knock back enemies rather than seriously hurting them. Good way to make some space for your party.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Ranta apparently discovered a new power!

http://imgur.com/a/1HuRA

This error is so blatant I wonder if it might not have been intentional.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cool anime. Somewhat lame finale. :geno:

I didn't like Death Spot's death at all. I expected it to be a super critical, and actually, it was even more metal than that - Haru (inadvertently) kicked his arm down as well, and he fell on his own sword :stare: Unfortunately, I couldn't see poo poo, and instead, we got Haru floating in the anime void, a lot of missing frames and filters, and done. Not to mention that the timing for the whole fight is kinda bad, too. First, they dissolve all the tension; then, they just drop a boss fight in their way, oh poo poo things are ramping up again, this is gonna be a close o- oh wait, it's done. Huh. And this might just be me, but Death Spots didn't seem nearly as intimidating as last episode. He felt much heavier in his last appearance... Dunno. I'm disappointed.

Also, cutting that Orc invasion arc, which I'm only hearing about now, is really distressing, would've loved seeing that. Maybe we'll get it in the future.

Overall, this feels like a stopping point rather than any kind of ending. Nonetheless, I want more. If only to see that Orc invasion arc!

Good show, final episode not really deserving of being any kind of finale, I want season 2.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Daler Mehndi posted:

Ranta apparently discovered a new power!

http://imgur.com/a/1HuRA

This error is so blatant I wonder if it might not have been intentional.

Even I noticed that and I never notice that poo poo

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I noticed the helm too. Didn't he leave it bloody on the floor below? I thought I saw it hanging off a post, and I thought they were gonna show Ranta captured or something,

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I enjoyed it all, apart from the way the animation seemed to bug out a bit during the fight. Didn't mind the super crit so much, since it was kind of set up with the arrow hit earlier, and seemed like a reasonable check mate.

The first volume of the BDs is out and sold 4200 units, which is a bit below the mythical "season 2 line" of 5000. For comparison, KonoSuba v1 sold 9500 copies.

The light novels got a boost from the anime broadcast, with total series numbers over the past months being:

January:
KonoSuba - 216,248 books
Grimar - 86,614 books

February:
KonoSuba - 142,766 books
Grimgar - 53,339 books

March week 1:
KonoSuba - 51,057 books
Grimgar - 21,830 books

March week 2:
KonoSuba - 52,476 books
Grimgar - 18,905 books

March week 3:
KonoSuba - 49,524 books
Grimgar - 16,292 books

Sums up to nearly 200k light novel volumes sold for Grimgar, which doesn't seem bad. Hopefully it'll get us a second season.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Eh, it's better than the alternative of the party working together and killing Deathspot. It had been established that Deathspot is WAY stronger than anything their party would have a hope of defeating (even most of the veteran parties couldn't handle him, thus him still being alive), so Haruhiro's line ability is the only thing that makes defeating him remotely possible. And in the LNs Haruhiro has a bunch of introspection about how incredibly lucky he was and how (as his teacher mentioned) he can't rely on the line ability. I forget if this was in the show, but in the LNs there was also a period where he tried to "train" the line ability but completely failed to figure out any way to make it appear at will.

Regarding Ranta, they left a bunch of stuff out from the LNs where he basically spends most of his time hiding among a bunch of those pig-worm things and lucks into running into the party when he tries moving more and alerts a bunch of nearby Kobolds. Overall his temporary survival was pretty believable and the only part that was just hugely lucky was the party encountering him in time to save him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I liked having a short ranta pov bit, I wish there was a bit more of that like there apparently was in the ln

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

darkgray posted:

I enjoyed it all, apart from the way the animation seemed to bug out a bit during the fight. Didn't mind the super crit so much, since it was kind of set up with the arrow hit earlier, and seemed like a reasonable check mate.

The first volume of the BDs is out and sold 4200 units, which is a bit below the mythical "season 2 line" of 5000. For comparison, KonoSuba v1 sold 9500 copies.

The light novels got a boost from the anime broadcast, with total series numbers over the past months being:

January:
KonoSuba - 216,248 books
Grimar - 86,614 books

February:
KonoSuba - 142,766 books
Grimgar - 53,339 books

March week 1:
KonoSuba - 51,057 books
Grimgar - 21,830 books

March week 2:
KonoSuba - 52,476 books
Grimgar - 18,905 books

March week 3:
KonoSuba - 49,524 books
Grimgar - 16,292 books

Sums up to nearly 200k light novel volumes sold for Grimgar, which doesn't seem bad. Hopefully it'll get us a second season.

Also keep in mind they're selling a bunch of music too.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

darkgray posted:

...the gently caress?

Is... is it just me, or is that an astronomically low number? And that's kind of industry standard? Do they make their money almost entirely through related products and licensing, and stopped giving a poo poo for this market? How the hell is that anywhere near sustainable?

How :psyduck:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Torquemadras posted:

...the gently caress?

Is... is it just me, or is that an astronomically low number? And that's kind of industry standard? Do they make their money almost entirely through related products and licensing, and stopped giving a poo poo for this market? How the hell is that anywhere near sustainable?

Each disk sells for way more than we pay with minimal content. X cost goes in, they assume they will generate Y revenue. If it doesn't look like they'll make enough from that the series is killed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Torquemadras posted:

...the gently caress?

The BDs are super-expensive and the limited editions come with a bunch of related crap that drives the price even higher.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

...the gently caress?

A significant portion (though not, it should be stressed, a majority - there's also kids' stuff like Youkai Watch, which has a far more sane and recognisable business model) of the anime industry depends on selling to a tiny audience with astronomically deep pockets. Yes, it is a strange and alarming way to do business that can end up massively distorting the product and narrowing its appeal, why do you ask?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anime is doing fine. they get money from merch, not blu ray sales

• Locked thread