Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think they have lenses in them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Zooey coming back after a hiatus really emphasizes her quirk. It almost seemed out of place.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jamesman posted:

I'm just over Jess. She lifts right out and everyone else is brings so much humor to the show that she's overshadowed and irrelevant.

Doesn't help that her plots always seem to be separated from everyone else. Like all the other characters interact a lot with each other and their stories connect with one another, and she's always off with her own story. Even tonight, she was running around town with Reagan while everyone else spent time together.

They should just kick her out permanently. Schmidt and crew is all we need. I'd instead hire the homeless mentally ill guy full time to be their next roommate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That must be odd. Having a show designed around you, but being the least break out character of the series.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
This author agrees with y'all: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/03/does-new-girl-need-zooey-deschanel-anymore/472926/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Have to say that usually Winston erkes me, but tonight I really feel his quirks hit right.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Have to say that usually Winston erkes me, but tonight I really feel his quirks hit right.

Winston is the manic pixie dreamgirl this show needs and deserves. He even has a cat.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jamesman posted:

Winston is the manic pixie dreamgirl this show needs and deserves. He even has a cat.

^^

I feel that Nasim Pedrad (Winston's cop crush) should be the "new girl". She's far more interesting than Jess. Actually, a lot of the side characters are, from the weird biology teacher to homeless and mentally ill guy. Replace Jess with Coach, replace Jess with Jess's boss (Metatron).

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Should change the title to What Girl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Zooey had already had her kid when the episode aired right? Because they had a lot of pregnancy hiding angles, and obvious stand in shots, but then at the end of the episode she was doing full body shots.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

So Zooey had already had her kid when the episode aired right? Because they had a lot of pregnancy hiding angles, and obvious stand in shots, but then at the end of the episode she was doing full body shots.

They filmed her first episode of this season last year when they found out she was pregnant. They went way out of their way to not have an obviously pregnant Zooey on the show iirc. Her time off this year was less due to actual pregnancy and more 'hang out with your kid and get back in shape'.

Like I think she had her kid in the summer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

They filmed her first episode of this season last year when they found out she was pregnant. They went way out of their way to not have an obviously pregnant Zooey on the show iirc. Her time off this year was less due to actual pregnancy and more 'hang out with your kid and get back in shape'.

Like I think she had her kid in the summer.

Well then I have to question a lot of shot choices from last night's episode!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Well then I have to question a lot of shot choices from last night's episode!

I didn't really notice too many, will have to watch again. Her face looked normal though so nothing stood out to me.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I like Jess. She sort of gels the group together, even if she's not that likeable.

What happened to the lawyer guy from her first day of jury duty? I'm guessing they couldn't get the actor back so they scrounged up another love interest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SEX BURRITO posted:

I like Jess. She sort of gels the group together, even if she's not that likeable.

What happened to the lawyer guy from her first day of jury duty? I'm guessing they couldn't get the actor back so they scrounged up another love interest.

I think her being gone for several episodes and everyone "gelling" just fine kinda proves that isn't the case. She's the only character that hasn't evolved at all over the course of the entire series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

It was John Cho so he's probably busy elsewhere, he works a lot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah I am just tired of her manic pixie hipster schtick and those glasses sit way too low on her face and it irks me.

Well, it's a good thing she doesn't play that on the show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Well, it's a good thing she doesn't play that on the show.

Well when she puts on her ribbon hat and makes a melon doll of her roommate or decides to scream her address over tv and stalk a guy she likes or leave a jar of suggestions for her friends to read while she's gone or start dancing when she's uncomfortable or try to "parent trap" her parents...then maybe, once she does that, can we call her a manic pixie dream girl?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > New Girl s5: ...Who's That Girl?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Inkspot posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > New Girl s5: ...Who's That Girl?

Good title.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well when she puts on her ribbon hat and makes a melon doll of her roommate or decides to scream her address over tv and stalk a guy she likes or leave a jar of suggestions for her friends to read while she's gone or start dancing when she's uncomfortable or try to "parent trap" her parents...then maybe, once she does that, can we call her a manic pixie dream girl?

A MPDG is properly defined by her relationship to a man who has become jaded and disillusioned, as she teaches him how to love again. By definition they have no existence of their own. Ergo Jess, who has spent a lot of time single and is focused on things other than empowering men, is not a MPDG.

I like her. She's fun. She's got her own brand of crazy as do the other guys. I like how she was instantly accepting of Reagan.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I thought they were just static characters with a bunch of stupid quirks who never had to grow up and held onto their childish-ness(?) to show other people it was OK to act young even if you were older. To each their own though. There's still usually a couple good laughs each episode, but this may be the last season for me. Think I'm just tired of the entire thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's too small to be a cat hotel and too big to be pants so it's not mine.

Jesse!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hahaha Winston's new partner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone gets flashed! C'mon!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I knew he was talking about a penis the whole time.

EDIT: "Oh someone left a spoon with some rock candy in it! I wonder what flavor it is!"

I'm loving this episode.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

He brews his own coffee, and drinks it out of a sandwich bag.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I hope you have a minor career setback, learn from it, and ultimately have a very nice life, Becky!

NADIA BEGINS

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2016

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Elizabeth Berkley still looking good. Kinda bummed she's only a one-time guest and we won't see her (or Booger) again.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He brews his own coffee, and drinks it out of a sandwich bag.

Definitely one of the top lines of the season, haha.

Grooveh
Apr 14, 2007
Why yes, I do enjoy banana bread muffins.
http://i.imgur.com/e73dQmV.webm

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

It was a crime Turducken!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Of course his name is Gavin.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I loved Jess luring Schmidt to sleep.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ugh her glasses just annoy me so much. They sit so low on her face.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"I like weed."

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Schmidt played a young Sandy Cohen in a flashback on the OC and now Sandy Cohen is Schmidt's dad!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
She lulled me to sleep and then went rogue!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Lucy Punch!

lelelelele...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's either a puppet show for kids or North Korean propaganda

• Locked thread