Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Had to sell my DC ticket because I'll be in Philly that week. But they will be in Philly when I am, so I'm trying to grab that ticket. The reviews and the youtubes of the first shows were pretty good so it'll still be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jesus Christ you guys are fickle.

It's not like they replaced the bassist or drummer. Jim founded the band and was a huge part of their sound. He was a member even before Omar joined. ATDI was very much a product of his creativity, along with Omar and Cedric of course. Now the ATDI reunion (or "reignition", as Cedric recently spun it) is just the Mars Volta joined by a new drummer and the guy that joined Sparta for their last (underrated, imo) record replacing Jim playing ATDI covers. I will admit, Keeley Davis sings almost exactly like Jim and he's a good guitarist too, so the shows will most likely be good shows, but I think it's a little in bad taste to call this At The Drive-In without Jim (or Omar or Cedric).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It might be in bad taste but you guys are acting like Talking Heads reunited without David Byrne or something. If you went from pumped about this tour to selling your ticket immediately because the second guitarist isn't playing then I seriously question your decision making.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

It might be in bad taste but you guys are acting like Talking Heads reunited without David Byrne or something. If you went from pumped about this tour to selling your ticket immediately because the second guitarist isn't playing then I seriously question your decision making.

Maybe you don't understand what made ATDI for a lot of people (me included). loving goon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Maybe you don't understand what made ATDI for a lot of people (me included). loving goon.

Lighten up, slugger. No one's gonna make you go to the show or buy the record.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i am

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

See your point and don't really disagree - I wouldn't go as far as selling off my ticket. But I think the thing here for some people is less just that Ward's not participating, and more that it's pretty clear that the band deliberately misrepresented the tour as a proper reunion, going as far as to specifically plaster the dude's face right on the flyer, then waited a week for the tour to sell out before coming back with "haha just kidding". I'll still go and enjoy the music, but regardless, gently caress those guys. I normally make it a point to buy merch when I support a band, but won't be doing that this time. I know some see this differently, but I'd say there's sometimes a substantial difference between supporting a band or simply enjoying their music, and this helps push Cedric and Omar and their related projects into column B for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's fair. I'd really just like to hear Jim's side of the story instead of vague statements about mutually parting ways

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
It sounds like he wasn't aware there was a reunion tour planned for starters

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Cedric and Omar sound like real jerks in my book.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Decades posted:

It sounds like he wasn't aware there was a reunion tour planned for starters

Wait what

Is there more info available other than the official band announcement?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Worst case here I guess is that Omar and Cedric have taken over the shell of ATDI to make some quick cash. Because Antemasque, a weirdly underpromoted thing, didn't blow up? Considering "the creative partnership of Omar and Cedric IS The Mars Volta" and the MVS Ratio* > 1, you can interpret this tour as a TMV reunion in their latest incarnation: an ATDI cover band.

*Mars Volta-Sparta Band Membership Ratio

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
They could have just merged ATDI, Sparta, and TMV into one gigantic band, if it's good enough for Slipknot it's good enough for these assholes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So...any of you guys been to a show yet? I'm going tomorrow.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They call it a wasteland, they call it a wasteland baby

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm going to the Philadelphia show. Frankly I'm amazed they haven't broken up again by now and won't believe it until I'm there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Setlist from Chicago. Spoiler tagged for people that prefer surprises (not that anything on here is very unexpected.

Arcarsenal
Pattern Against User
Cosmonaut
300 MHz
Lopsided
Invalid Litter Dept.
Enfilade
198d
Pickpocket
Non-Zero Possibility
Sleepwalk Capsules
Quarantined
Napoleon Solo
Catacombs
---
One Armed Scissor

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Setlist from Chicago. Spoiler tagged for people that prefer surprises (not that anything on here is very unexpected.

Arcarsenal
Pattern Against User
Cosmonaut
300 MHz
Lopsided
Invalid Litter Dept.
Enfilade
198d
Pickpocket
Non-Zero Possibility
Sleepwalk Capsules
Quarantined
Napoleon Solo
Catacombs
---
One Armed Scissor

So basically they're playing every single song I want them to

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So basically they're playing every single song I want them to

I would give the setlist an A (would've been nice to have one song from Acrobatic Tenement, but I get why they wouldn't go there) and the performance a B/B+. A lot of my issues were probably venue-related. I sacrificed sightlines and sound quality to be up close where I thought all the energy was gonna be. Should've hung back like I did with Refused on their reunion tour in 2012.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The setlist was loving great. The sound was rough for the first little bit, but after that it was pretty fantastic. Invalid Litter Department and Napolean Solo, my goodness. Definitely a show worth seeing, even without Ward.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
They're doing two nights in L.A. (tonight and tomorrow). I'm seeing them tomorrow so I'm wondering if they'll change the setlist any...

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

I can't make the Portland show. If anyone needs 2 tickets at face value let me know. I have actual tickets in hand and I'm not in Portland so I will have to mail them out so let me know ASAP.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Really hyped to see them in DC. This is 15 year-old me's dream come true. Wish Helitrope was on the set list but it's still drat solid.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I just got back from seeing them and they were amazing!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Really hyped to see them in DC. This is 15 year-old me's dream come true. Wish Helitrope was on the set list but it's still drat solid.

I'll be there as well! I saw them at Shaky Knees and they were awesome

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

anyone have a spare ticket for the Seattle show?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Seeing them tonight. Does anyone remember what kind of merch they had for sale/average prices?

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Saw them tonight. drat good setlist and they sounded good too. Omar seemed into it, unlike the last reunion.

Before the encore Cedric said they'd be back with a new album. We'll see.

Mea Tulpa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 15, 2016

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I went to see them last night but to be honest I liked their opening act, Le Butcherettes, better

they put on a great show

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Tonight's show got cancelled. :argh:

I blame myself for jinxing everything and await an announcement tomorrow morning that they've broken up.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

drat, that's a kick in the balls. Cedric sounded a little raspy last night. I thought it was just him getting old, but maybe he was getting sick? Hope other dates don't get cancelled, or that this isn't a cover for the band having a meltdown.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
They said on their Instagram page that Cedric lost his voice. That's a bummer for sure, especially because the Philly show was great. Le Butcherettes were good and I'll check them out as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Context (kinda):

Le Bucherettes showed up on the AV Club's Undercover series, doing "Wrecking Ball."

I'd never heard of them before, but I can see how they would work as opener for these guys.

http://www.avclub.com/video/le-butcherettes-covers-miley-cyrus-wrecking-ball-238187

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
le butcherettes are real good, guys. start following teri's projects more closely. thank you.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone who had tickets to Wednesday's show know of the refund/reschedule info?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

930's website said more info to come but I haven't seen anything yet.

Really hope they find a way to tack a reschedule on to the end of their tour and don't just cancel-refund.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Any word about tonight's show anywhere? Sounds like a cancellation will come last minute if anything.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Holy poo poo, they just cancelled. After doors. This band.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
They just cancelled the rest of the tour. Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

this reunion is non-operational

• Locked thread