Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I dug ATDI quite a bit but was obsessed with TMV circa Frances. Never saw them until I think 09 when they delivered a decent set but nothing along the lines of the Scabdates insanity. Somewhat underwhelming, but then they had their big fight with Pridgen the show after that so I guess it was by-the-numbers just to keep the wheels from falling off. I saw Free Moral Agents a year or two later in some hole and they killed it. Antemasque was in town but my level of interest was low enough that it being on a weekday kept me away.

That being said despite the 2012 reunion being whatever, I bought a ticket. I'll wait to see what the buzz is and maybe I'll flip it if the reviews are poor.

OMAR TMV DVD WHEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Scabdates insanity?

Listening to their live stuff they always seemed to be an album ahead, road-testing and improvising the stuff that would take form on the next record and jamming extended versions of old stuff (Drunkship and others). This was the Octahedron and they seemed to just play the back catalog note for note from the records, which shouldn't have been an issue, but I guess listening to Scabdates and bootlegs for a few years set my expectations too high.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Introducing a hitherto unknown Rodriguez-Lopez sibling as Jim Ward

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Had to sell my DC ticket because I'll be in Philly that week. But they will be in Philly when I am, so I'm trying to grab that ticket. The reviews and the youtubes of the first shows were pretty good so it'll still be fun.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Worst case here I guess is that Omar and Cedric have taken over the shell of ATDI to make some quick cash. Because Antemasque, a weirdly underpromoted thing, didn't blow up? Considering "the creative partnership of Omar and Cedric IS The Mars Volta" and the MVS Ratio* > 1, you can interpret this tour as a TMV reunion in their latest incarnation: an ATDI cover band.

*Mars Volta-Sparta Band Membership Ratio

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

this reunion is non-operational

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Where the TMV film Omar

where

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It was good when I saw them in June. The only slightly weird thing was them going full-tilt wearing their new logo as armbands in all black outfits. I'm willing to chalk it up to some sort of Nation of Ulysses type gimmick. They sounded good! A lot of people wearing their old castro hats in the crowd, it was fun.

• Locked thread