Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rio
Mar 20, 2008

It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Windows 10 is so drat ugly it made me willingly give money to Stardock for the entire Object Desktop suite just so I could get the window blinds beta and make the UX a little less horrible

Now it looks like a cheap linux which is somehow still better

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
actually its bad

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

error1 posted:

Windows 10 is so drat ugly it made me willingly give money to Stardock for the entire Object Desktop suite just so I could get the window blinds beta and make the UX a little less horrible

yikes, dude

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

error1 posted:

I would think otherwise but, as long as you think it looks better, it is better right?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Look at it, just look at it

It's like some idiot at microsoft forgot to include the artwork for the default theme in windows 10 in the first builds and tried to explain that this is the way it's supposed to look to avoid getting fired.

And now we're all stuck with it forever

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I also suspect that it was a design goal to make the legacy desktop as painful and eyestrain inducing as possible in a desperate attempt to force everyone to like "modern" metro apps

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
windows 8 made me buy a mac and now i'm glad i left

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

win xp

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

just imagine what an amazing os windows 9 would have been :allears:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

os9 ftw

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

error1 posted:

holy jeebus that is not an improvement lol

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

error1 posted:

:eyepop:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows 10 is a solid upgrade with few downsides. no really great features to motivate the upgrade either granted.

edge remains crap, but pretty much everything else is a refinement on 7/8

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

error1 posted:

this is self harm

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like how windows 10 silently refuses to open new applications when it's running low on system resources and the only thing that fixes it is a reboot

I also like how my open windows sometimes just become big white frames with no content after it's been sitting in display suspend overnight.

Surely Windows 10 will take its place in OS history alongside other great releases such as Windows ME and Vista

[edit] I should specify that all of this happened before I installed WindowBlinds, which brought with it a whole new set of exciting display bugs because it breaks the fragile balance of 20 years of stupid win32 GUI workarounds

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 20, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

error1 posted:

I like how windows 10 silently refuses to open new applications when it's running low on system resources and the only thing that fixes it is a reboot

I also like how my open windows sometimes just become big white frames with no content after it's been sitting in display suspend overnight.

Surely Windows 10 will take its place in OS history alongside other great releases such as Windows ME and Vista

[edit] I should specify that all of this happened before I installed WindowBlinds, which brought with it a whole new set of exciting display bugs because it breaks the fragile balance of 20 years of stupid win32 GUI workarounds

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Whenever I sit down on the couch with my macbook pro at home I breathe a sigh of relief

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Radio Paranoia posted:

just imagine what an amazing os windows 9 would have been :allears:

ms knew it was going to be poo poo so they skipped 9 in order to keep the odd numbers/even numbers pattern going

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Hammerite posted:

ms knew it was going to be poo poo so they skipped 9 in order to keep the odd numbers/even numbers pattern going

but the numbers pattern would mean that win9 would be good

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

ms release the windows 9 next year

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Hammerite posted:

no they skipped 9 because if (strncmp("WINDOWS 9", OS_VERSION, 9) == 0) { ver = WINDOWS95_98; } would happen

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wasn't there something horrible about stardock or it's owner?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh yeah this drama. http://kotaku.com/5940401/pc-gaming-studio-said-she-ruined-their-game-but-only-after-she-sued-the-boss-for-sexual-harassment
:psyduck:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

quote:

I am an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar, and embarrassing person and I’m not inclined to change my behavior. If this is a problem, you will need to find another job.

I’m not some manager or coworker of yours. I own the company. It, and your job here, exist to suit my purposes, not vice versa. The company is not an end unto itself, it is a means to an end which is to further the objectives of its shareholders (in this case, me).

While I certainly agree that your rights as a person (certainly in terms of physical contact or interms of comments made towards you regarding your private live) take precedence over my rights as the owner of the business, that is as far as it goes.

I sincerely apologize for offending you while on our trip. I certainly would never intentionally try to upset you or make you uncomfortable and will endeavor to avoid doing so in the future. However, I won’t change my basic personality to suit anyone (i.e. being an inappropriate, sexist, vulgar and embarrassing person).

Kind regards,

Brad

I like this guy :shobon:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

error1 posted:

I like this guy :shobon:

reminds me of this brony it guy we used to have.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I got a new laptop for christmas but it came with Windows 8, is there any way to get Windows 7 back. I miss my Win7

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no they skipped 9 because if (strncmp("WINDOWS 9", OS_VERSION, 9) == 0) { ver = WINDOWS95_98; } would happen

:vince:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

windows 10 is actually really bad, op

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i guess muicrosoft never expected to last this long lol

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

i'm going to get a mac. tim cook respects my privacy.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

it looks like a linux desktop from 10 years ago, but at least it has some contrast and doesn't give you that "staring directly into the sun" feeling. they tried that white-on-white theme as default for some version of visual studio (the same one where they thought ALL CAPS MENUS were a good idea) and all they had were page after page of complaints that it caused eye strain.

xp's default babby's first computer theme was better than this

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The_Franz posted:

it looks like a linux desktop from 10 years ago

It even comes with a compiz ripoff :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIp93XShw4k

I miss compiz, wobbly windows and desktop cubes were the pinnacle of year of linux on the desktop technology

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
just install kubuntu dude jfc

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Radio Paranoia posted:

i guess muicrosoft never expected to last this long lol

they are more likely trying to prevent problems with lovely software written by idiot windows devs

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I won't upgrade until they bring back aero glass :colbert:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

error1 posted:

object desktop is still a thing lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

error1 posted:

i have literally never encountered a single one of these things. i am certain you janitored them into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like that microsoft just sends bigger and bigger popups to windows 7 users

wonder when that's gonna stop

• Locked thread