Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, you can't just memorize them, you have to actually git gud at solving those puzzle types quickly. That goes for the entire challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Yeah, I got that the puzzles themselves were random. I was just surprised that the order the panels lit up changed each time, too :v:

So, I beat The Challenge, on the fourth try. I feel like I got really lucky, though, everything was easy on that run, until the columns, one of which I half-guessed. I have mixed feelings about it; it was exhilarating at the moment, but I feel almost cheated out of the chance to succeed on a more difficult version. Oh well.

Third try I got to the life-size puzzle room. I already suspected it was, and had noticed that the fourth puzzle seemed to correspond to it, but it was just before the time ran out before I realized the dots were important.

Now I'm sitting here listening to a story about computers, games, Easter eggs, and music (so far), waiting - I assume - on a moon to move across the screen. It's.... taking a while :v:

e: Oh, and I was quite surprised that there wasn't one last puzzle on the door, after the columns. Pleasantly surprised.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

Yeah, I got that the puzzles themselves were random. I was just surprised that the order the panels lit up changed each time, too :v:

So, I beat The Challenge, on the fourth try. I feel like I got really lucky, though, everything was easy on that run, until the columns, one of which I half-guessed. I have mixed feelings about it; it was exhilarating at the moment, but I feel almost cheated out of the chance to succeed on a more difficult version. Oh well.

Third try I got to the life-size puzzle room. I already suspected it was, and had noticed that the fourth puzzle seemed to correspond to it, but it was just before the time ran out before I realized the dots were important.

Now I'm sitting here listening to a story about computers, games, Easter eggs, and music (so far), waiting - I assume - on a moon to move across the screen. It's.... taking a while :v:

e: Oh, and I was quite surprised that there wasn't one last puzzle on the door, after the columns. Pleasantly surprised.

What did you think of the story?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Superrodan posted:

He's still listening to it lmao

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Superrodan posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

He's still listening to it lmao
I immediately recognized the moon as being part of the puzzle behind the screen. Quickly found out that the end of the wire was not the end of the puzzle, and figured it would be something on screen. After a while, I noticed the moon was moving, figured that's what I was waiting on, and I went and cleaned the kitchen instead :v:

I half-listened to it while I cleaned, it had interesting moments. I've been playing on my TV, which I could see while cleaning, so I wasn't risking missing the puzzle. So I wasn't too upset with it, but it is a bit ridiculous to ask people to sit through an hour-long story for an environmental puzzle. Still better than the ending to the game, though!

I still would have done all the puzzles, even if I had known the game wouldn't have acknowledged it, but I do wish the game would have acknowledged that I did all the puzzles. At least you can just reload your last save, so you're not entirely screwed if you had wanted to do them all but hadn't yet.

I've since gone back and done the challenge a few more times, it's still pretty fun! And found all of the audio clips. I really liked the ones in the caves. Some of the others were interesting, good food for thought; some just sounded pretentious; some, like the first in the symmetry area, I just wanted them to end already.

What are some of your all's favorite or least favorite puzzles? My favorite is probably the color elevator. My least favorite was the ship vault. I knew, conceptually, what I had to do, but I have slight hearing problems and couldn't really tell the different pitches of the drops, let alone the ship noises. Ugh. Especially when I had to wait two loving minutes for those to loop. My second least favorite was in the caves, with the rainbow background. I had almost no trouble with the similar ones in the mountain, but that one was dumb. I'm glad that wasn't an actual mechanic in a full area.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The sound puzzles in the jungle were good at first, and I laughed out loud the first time the telephone rang. Unfortunately I'm not discerning enough to be able to compare relative pitches of different sounds, so I ended up brute-forcing/looking up some of the solutions. And yes, gently caress the sound puzzle on the boat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure the sound puzzle on the boat is solvable by humans, when I found a youtube that walked me through it the guy was using a spectrum analyzer to pick it apart.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Blow's on the record saying it's the hardest puzzle in the game. Basically it seems like the cognitive processes for tracking the invisible path interferes with the memorization of the tones, which makes doing the spatial reasoning of the puzzle difficult. And then the tones are unusually spaced, have no clear start/stop, and there are duplicate notes, so the number of permutations is huge.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Discendo Vox posted:

Blow's on the record saying it's the hardest puzzle in the game. Basically it seems like the cognitive processes for tracking the invisible path interferes with the memorization of the tones, which makes doing the spatial reasoning of the puzzle difficult. And then the tones are unusually spaced, have no clear start/stop, and there are duplicate notes, so the number of permutations is huge.

Its probably the only puzzle in the game I felt was strictly unfair.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Heh. I had to actually look it up to see what was the sound puzzle in the boat.

I know I solved it on my own, but did I completely ignore the sound cues to do it? I remember the invisible symmetrical line mechanic, and trying to gather the dots with the appropriately colored line (blacks I assumed were wildcards).

I didn't have much of a hard time with the proper sound cue puzzles (and the easier/similar one in the city area), except maybe the very last in the series before the laser panel activates.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The puzzles I didn't like were the boat puzzle, a couple of the underground desert puzzles, and the colour elevator. As people have said, the sound cues for the ship feel really unfair. The desert has a bit of pixel hunting to get the reflections in exactly the right spot, and the colour elevator felt really poorly explained. It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember the specifics of my complaints for the last one though.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I remember being kinda afraid of the boat puzzle because even staying as far away as possible to reactions to the game while I was playing it blind, I heard about its difficulty, but I actually solved it reasonably easily. The desert puzzles were the second zone I visited and solved so I like them quite a bit too. The zone I liked the least was the tetris puzzles but mostly because performance wasn't very good there on the laptop I was using to play.

Superrodan posted:

Personally I loved the whole Psalm 46 hing but I like listening to GDC stuff and I happened to know and like the Masquerade story so it was right up my alley. And even though the video seems to warn against it even after a year I still wonder about that hare head hidden in the concept art you see in the dev room.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013
has anybody else who played the game around release been playing it recently? i have been, and i'm pretty sure your movement and look speeds are tied to the age of your save file. my original file started Jan 26, 2016 looks around super fast and moves like a jet plane compared to a file i started just a few months ago to study how accessible the island is right out of the tutorial.

what a neat idea.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty sure that's either all in your head, or they changed walking/look speed in a patch to alleviate the sickness issues some people were having.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Chev posted:

I'm pretty sure that's either all in your head, or they changed walking/look speed in a patch to alleviate the sickness issues some people were having.

i hear you. but wouldn't a patched change impact all files the same way? i happen to have three save files staggered by a couple months each, cuz my sister played it on my PC and i started the aforementioned fresh save a couple months after she started her file. i timed out certain routes running around the island, and timed how long it takes to do a 360 degree spin, and not only is there a significant, noticeable difference between the different saves, my original save is fastest, the fresh save is slowest (i can't overstate how noticeable the speed difference here is), and my sister's save is between the two extremes. i tracked the FPS and everything, and did the tests in the same locations, and the only differences are running speed and looking speed.

i do feel a little bit like i'm just going crazy. but i'd be chuffed if someone would try it out. play a bit on your original save and then start a new one and see how they compare. just indulge me. i can totally see Jonathan Blow putting something like this in the game.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Schmischmenjamin posted:

i hear you. but wouldn't a patched change impact all files the same way? i happen to have three save files staggered by a couple months each, cuz my sister played it on my PC and i started the aforementioned fresh save a couple months after she started her file. i timed out certain routes running around the island, and timed how long it takes to do a 360 degree spin, and not only is there a significant, noticeable difference between the different saves, my original save is fastest, the fresh save is slowest (i can't overstate how noticeable the speed difference here is), and my sister's save is between the two extremes. i tracked the FPS and everything, and did the tests in the same locations, and the only differences are running speed and looking speed.

i do feel a little bit like i'm just going crazy. but i'd be chuffed if someone would try it out. play a bit on your original save and then start a new one and see how they compare. just indulge me. i can totally see Jonathan Blow putting something like this in the game.

You can change look speed in the settings, the default is really slow

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Schmischmenjamin posted:

i hear you. but wouldn't a patched change impact all files the same way?

If the movement/look speeds are per-save then I'd expect they'd be set from the default values at the time the save is started, so unless the patch also modified each save file (doubtful) then newer ones would have the newer speed.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013
having gone in and checked again, you guys are totally right. i'm not sure what i was thinking.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh poo poo this is my favorite game ever at the moment. I am up in the trees on the island now, which is really starting to blow my mind in the way these rule sets can interact. I'm gonna have to get graph paper and penicls out if I'm gonna do any more of this game.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh poo poo this is my favorite game ever at the moment. I am up in the trees on the island now, which is really starting to blow my mind in the way these rule sets can interact. I'm gonna have to get graph paper and penicls out if I'm gonna do any more of this game.

The Witness is definitely my favorite game of the past few years. I would love o hear your thoughts so far, what you've discovered, what you haven't, etc. There are some big spoilers so be careful about googling things or even coming into this thread.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Superrodan posted:

The Witness is definitely my favorite game of the past few years. I would love o hear your thoughts so far, what you've discovered, what you haven't, etc. There are some big spoilers so be careful about googling things or even coming into this thread.

Oh man I don't even know. I'm up in the treehouse right now discovering that it doesn't matter what color anything is. I just solved the pumpy area, which was pretty fun. And that taught me how to solve a bit more of the gardens area. I figured out the apple trees and that was a neat weird thing. BEES!. I have no idea whats going on plot wise but I've found some of the audio things and a cool dog statue.

I really love what they do with the puzzles. Both how they introduce new concepts and some of the concepts in general. The final pumpy puzzle where you have to fit together and trace Checkboard-2+T was awesome. And then they start layering and mixing the rules.

I got to the timed part. I couldn't make it and am coming back to the treehouse later.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 27, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
God I loved the witness. Easily my favorite game of 2016 and to this day one of my favorite games of all time.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
The best part of this game, and a part that I am sad that I'll probably never experience again, is learning and using a rule successfully only to find out later that your rule was actually completely wrong and you need to do a complete rethink of the game. Definitely something that's a first-play-only experience, have fun Nevvy V

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Knifegrab posted:

God I loved the witness. Easily my favorite game of 2016 and to this day one of my favorite games of all time.

Agreed.

Wish I could Eternal Sunshine the part of my mind that remembers playing it, so I could start all over again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't understand these triangles on the random puzzles I've found them on so far. Like, just puzzles sitting on the ground in weird places

I've unlocked a bunch of lasers now and know where the rest are I think. I can't figure out if loving with the dark cloud did anything or not though.

I solved the secondary set of puzzles around the rim of the spot between the desert and the dock symmetry island and I can't figure out what those unlock either, but solving those lead me to solving the first of the reference puzzles on the other side of town, the one that lines up with trees. the second reference puzzle, shadows, is giving me some trouble but Ill figure it out. I solved most of the shadow puzzles near the... quarry?.

I also found the spot where i use the 2 clues i've unlocked, but I haven't had time to make progress there because I've been moving.

This game owns.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 10, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
If it helps, the questions you pose are part of the experience and you are probably making progress just by thinking about possible answers/ reasons.

I miss this game too.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I came across that brilliant Electron Dance documentary again in my YouTube recommendations, and God, I can't wait for my brain to forget enough of the mechanical details of The Witness so I can feasibly play it again.

Playing it the first time with a sense of discovery was one of my favourite ever experiences (also the only game I've ever got my SO to be excited about and play alongside me), so I look forward to the day I can wander about with an eerie sense of deja vu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, when it came down to it, there were a lot of great games I played in 2016 like Doom, Dishonored 2, Hitman, and Stardew Valley, but The Witness was the only game that had me cutting out Tetris shapes at work to try to figure out a puzzle. I can't think of any other game I've ever played that I couldn't stop thinking about like what happened with The Witness.

• Locked thread