Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exser
Aug 18, 2003

goferchan posted:

There is a swampy area with some red flowers growing on the ground that contains the "tutorial puzzles" for the Tetris shapes. I wish I could give you better directions but it's close to the castle area with the hedge mazes, if you've stumbled on that

Yeah, I just found that area. I get some of the rules for them, apparently, but others are just beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

exser posted:

Yeah, I just found that area. I get some of the rules for them, apparently, but others are just beyond me.

I did this one and I still don't understand why it is solved. Can the L shaped tetris pieces be solved in other directions?

http://i.imgur.com/0666TrQ.jpg

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I did this one and I still don't understand why it is solved. Can the L shaped tetris pieces be solved in other directions?

I solved that one differently, so now I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm stuck on this one, and by stuck, I mean literally stuck, because a little bridge moved me over here and I don't know how to get back.

http://i.imgur.com/VVB8S6p.jpg

edit: figured out how to get back.

edit2: figured out that puzzle, now onto some more tetris blocks. gently caress tetris.

exser fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 27, 2016

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
When you open up the menu, its like when you close your eyes and what you were just seeing is still burned into your retinas, cool little detail I just now noticed

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Currently struggling my way through the tetris swamp myself. Mechanics spoiler (i think): The pieces can be arranged in any configuration within the area you are sectioning off, as long as the appropriate symbols are also in the sectioned area

I think that's how it works, anyways

e: helpful diagrams in this spoiler! there are at least two ways of solving this one, actually. I did the one on the right.

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 27, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

exser posted:

I solved that one differently, so now I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm stuck on this one, and by stuck, I mean literally stuck, because a little bridge moved me over here and I don't know how to get back.

http://i.imgur.com/VVB8S6p.jpg

Look at the puzzle that moved the bridge -- see how the yellow squares line up with the yellow tiles on the ground? And see how, with your solution, you basically "drew" the bridge? See if you can solve it but with the bridge in a different position

edit: also based on a review I read I think a reviewer deleted his save game and started over 8 hours into the game over being "stuck" here so you're not alone lol

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ixjuvin posted:

Currently struggling my way through the tetris swamp myself. Mechanics spoiler (i think): The pieces can be arranged in any configuration within the area you are sectioning off, as long as the appropriate symbols are also in the sectioned area

I think that's how it works, anyways

I thought so too, but the single square is in the same 'section' as the L piece and when I was trying to solve it, the game was telling me the single square had to be in its own section.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
This game is kicking my rear end. I got one area completed(ish), but now I'm stuck at several points in three different areas. Fuuuuuck it's so good though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I've got five or six lasers activated after six hours of playing. Either the remaining lasers are really hard, or the 20 hour play time for minimum completion is way too generous. Since you only need seven lasers active, it seems like I would be close to the finish.

(Still not even near 100% completion though. That might take double or even triple digit hours)

The only "brute force" thing I did so far was the color elevator. I'm still not 100% on how it works, and it will probably come back to bite me in the rear end later.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Ugh. After spending over 3 hours banging my head against puzzles, I finish the tree-cut-out puzzles in the Japanese pagoda only for it to just give me a 3x5 grid with no outside indicator of how it works.

At that point, my brain gave up.

Except when I suddenly realized I now know how to beat one of the puzzles that involve you having to physically walk the path which is like halfway across the island.

God dammit I need to rest my brain but here I am going back in.

This game is great.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I could really do without these look in the mirror/find the glare/glorified pixel hunt for the right path panels underneath the sand dunes. It's way less puzzle solving and way more busy work. Of course the glare for the final panel right before the elevator up is juuuust out of reach of the glare no matter where you stand so it's in probably some dumb out of the way extremely specific spot you need to stand in and it's just ugghhh... I'm actually looking forward to the tetris swamp.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It makes me feel like I'm gonna hurl. In addition to the FOV thing that some have mentioned (which I can't change, since I'm on PS4), I think there's something weird about the turning/looking acceleration. It just feels all wrong, and maybe like vertical and horizontal movement aren't curved the same, which is always bad.

Argh! I can play Descent for hours without discomfort, but The Witness is making me seasick. :barf:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm stuck on this second puzzle in the 'castle' area, it's the second one of these "step on the platforms to solve the puzzle" ones. This one has 4 white and 4 black squares to separate, and I can't figure it out.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This game is loving GORGEOUS.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
the tetris swamp is definitely the best area so far

currently in the botany? area and i cant figure out the pattern on the 3rd puzzle in the 2nd set of panels, where its identical to the previous one

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This game is kicking my rear end. I guess I got 1 laser already. Then I did some other stuff that ultimately didn't lead to much. Whats the deal with the black pagoda/monolith statues? I did a puzzle with the sun glare near this desert looking area and it activated something on that thing but I have no idea.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This game is kicking my rear end. I guess I got 1 laser already. Then I did some other stuff that ultimately didn't lead to much. Whats the deal with the black pagoda/monolith statues? I did a puzzle with the sun glare near this desert looking area and it activated something on that thing but I have no idea.

Black Monoliths: indicate the relative direction of perspective puzzles (i.e. non-framed puzzles involving aligning landscape items). Once you do one puzzle linked to a monolith it will display the direction, completion status and shape of the other puzzles assigned to it. I don't know yet if completing perspective puzzles actually unlocks anything!

puzzle puzzle puzzle

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm stuck on this second puzzle in the 'castle' area, it's the second one of these "step on the platforms to solve the puzzle" ones. This one has 4 white and 4 black squares to separate, and I can't figure it out.

Dammit, attempting to find a screenshot of that puzzle ended up spoiling the fact that you can use maze puzzles writ large in the environment, like the hedge mazes themselves, if you look at it from the right angle. I'd even seen one of them (the one written in black stone outside of the village), but didn't think to click the thing. Ruined that moment of discovery for myself. Ah well.

Anyway, the trick with your puzzle is You don't have to divide it cleanly into one white and one black area. As long as black and white aren't in the same region, you're good. Click this for the answer.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Ixjuvin posted:

Black Monoliths: indicate the relative direction of perspective puzzles (i.e. non-framed puzzles involving aligning landscape items). Once you do one puzzle linked to a monolith it will display the direction, completion status and shape of the other puzzles assigned to it. I don't know yet if completing perspective puzzles actually unlocks anything!

puzzle puzzle puzzle

So I'm assuming that means whichever face of the monolith that shape is on, it's in that direction?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was about to buy this thinking it was a $15-$20 indie game. It's $40. Seems a bit steep. Is it worth $40?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I was about to buy this thinking it was a $15-$20 indie game. It's $40. Seems a bit steep. Is it worth $40?

So far it seems so. There is so much poo poo jam packed into this game. Like you can definitely see why they're charging 40 dollars once you play it for a bit.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mo0 posted:

Anyway, the trick with your puzzle is You don't have to divide it cleanly into one white and one black area. As long as black and white aren't in the same region, you're good.

That was my problem, I didn't know that piece of information before trying it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
At the risk of it being a cliche already, Myst was worth full price when it came out, too.

If nothing else, you're paying for the ability to enter the game *before* everything's been spoiled and posted everywhere. I kind of like the feeling of not having a safety net of "google it" when I get stuck.

Even if I did wreck one bit of magic when trying to find a screenshot of something I knew I'd already done. Whoops.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mo0 posted:

So I'm assuming that means whichever face of the monolith that shape is on, it's in that direction?

Yeah. It seems that way, anyhow. I'm not taking anything for granted :v:

Unrelated; sometimes to solve a puzzle you just need to mess around with a sheet of graph paper for a while. :science:

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

euphemism posted:

the tetris swamp is definitely the best area so far

currently in the botany? area and i cant figure out the pattern on the 3rd puzzle in the 2nd set of panels, where its identical to the previous one

oops, apparently the colors are practically indistinguishable if even remotely dim your monitor, gj.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm stuck on these tree shape puzzles

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I really wanted to like this game but I returned it for a refund. It's gorgeous, the sound is great, and the atmosphere is excellent. The puzzles seem well thought out, creative and difficult. The problem is that it was $40 and there is no fun game play. It's like a phone puzzle game with a beautiful 3d interface. There is this huge mysterious and complex island that you want to explore, but the 90% of the game is staring at signs drawing lines. It's a 2d puzzler in a 3d world. The 1 and 1/2 hours I played had 0 interaction with the world other than through the sign puzzles. I much prefer a puzzle game like portal which has you interact with the world and solve the puzzles through physics and movement.

I don't want to be a hater, and obviously the game has way more to offer than I saw, but compared to puzzle games like anti-chamber and portal, this game felt like a chore.

Norton fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 27, 2016

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm stuck on these tree shape puzzles

Without knowing what part of them you're on, I'd start by pointing out all of those tree shape puzzles are near a tree.

Norton posted:

I really wanted to like this game but I returned it for a refund. It's gorgeous, the sound is great, and the atmosphere is excellent. The puzzles seem well thought out, creative and difficult. The problem is that it was $40 and there is no game play to speak of. It's like a phone puzzle game with a beautiful 3d interface. There is this huge mysterious and complex island that you want to explore, but the 90% of the game is staring at signs drawing lines. It's a 2d puzzler in a 3d world. The 1 and 1/2 hours I played had 0 interaction with the world other than through the sign puzzles. I much prefer a puzzle game like portal which has you interact with the world and solve the puzzles through physics and movement.

I don't want to be a hater, and obviously the game has way more to offer than I saw, but compared to puzzle games like anti-chamber and portal, this game felt like a chore.

I realize it's a bit late, but if you keep your eyes peeled, the world is waiting for you to interact with it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ok stuck on this shadow puzzle.

Any help?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

how me a frog posted:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. What's it a metaphor for this time?

The marble puzzle is the final puzzle in Riven, which is notoriously difficult. The epiphany he's talking about is when he managed to solve it. Neither of these have anything to do with The Witness or Jonathan Blow and you're really straining to find something to be pissed about.

This game's pretty rad so far.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I was shredding through the treehouse and this just ufckin owned me. I just... I bet its stupidly simple but I just can't get past it. Oh my god kill me

http://imgur.com/sdzGiLk

exser
Aug 18, 2003

EAB posted:

I was shredding through the treehouse and this just ufckin owned me. I just... I bet its stupidly simple but I just can't get past it. Oh my god kill me

http://imgur.com/sdzGiLk

Same here. Mostly figured out the tetris block puzzles, but now I'm stuck in the tree house.

http://i.imgur.com/51pBOSl.jpg

edit: In response to yours, what are you supposed to do with one star?

VV Yeah, I swore I tried all of that, and came away thinking it wanted them to be separate selections.

exser fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 27, 2016

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

exser posted:

Same here. Mostly figured out the tetris block puzzles, but now I'm stuck in the tree house.

http://i.imgur.com/51pBOSl.jpg

hint: Both stars are inside the Tetris blocks. I'm stuck just a couple puzzles past that one :(

It helps to think of the Tetris blocks as just indicating one combined territory. The icon for each block can be anywhere in that territory. They don't have anything to do with the position of individual blocks.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 27, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It makes me feel like I'm gonna hurl. In addition to the FOV thing that some have mentioned (which I can't change, since I'm on PS4), I think there's something weird about the turning/looking acceleration. It just feels all wrong, and maybe like vertical and horizontal movement aren't curved the same, which is always bad.

Argh! I can play Descent for hours without discomfort, but The Witness is making me seasick. :barf:

The giantbomb quicklook made me queasy and I havent gotten that from a game since the waterboat level in HL2. I'm sure the real thing would have me hurling.

Its the motion...there's something stiff and off about it, I think.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anyone else have a problem with the game not starting, like at all? I'm on a fresh Windows 10 install and when I click on the icon I get the little hourglass indicator for a second, and then nothing :(

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Snuffman posted:

The giantbomb quicklook made me queasy and I havent gotten that from a game since the waterboat level in HL2. I'm sure the real thing would have me hurling.

Its the motion...there's something stiff and off about it, I think.

It's the field of view and there is a command line argument to change it. In the Twitch stream he said he was going to add a slider to change it in game.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Anyone else have a problem with the game not starting, like at all? I'm on a fresh Windows 10 install and when I click on the icon I get the little hourglass indicator for a second, and then nothing :(
If you're running the Steam beta opt out of it. Crashlands had the same problem for people running the beta release of Steam.

I was just doing some puzzles, being confounded and muddling my way through. Then I find out something really clever, huge spoiler, probably a bigger spoiler than puzzle solutions. Somebody else might have said this but I'm not looking at spoilers right now for obvious reasons. Not every maze is on a panel.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yaos posted:

If you're running the Steam beta opt out of it. Crashlands had the same problem for people running the beta release of Steam.

I actually opted for the DRM-free version on Humble :v:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Between this and the Talos Principle, it feels nice to have puzzles games where I can leave a puzzle that's frustrating me and go do another one while my brain gestates on the original. it's nice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't quite figure out the positioning for the perspective puzzle on the side of the mountain, in yellow, that you seem to have to do on the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yes, also on Windows 10. Running as administrator fixed it for me with the non-steam version.

• Locked thread