Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Post
  • Reply
DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)

Anxious - 12:50am
Rookery
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYAGyZlBY0

Aperta's entrance goes largely unnoticed at first, the spindly voidborn awkwardly jostling the door open with one robed hand and stepping inside the glorified drinking shed. Planks creak and groan under his weight, and by the time the Tech-Priest is inside and has straightened up, he has more of an audience. On the street, he has attracted more than a few curious stares - the Ourybian reverence towards those few machine cult members on-planet tends to be strongest among the toiling masses, with the under-scum taking a more practical stance. The assumption has been that he has places to go and things to do, and that those places and things are wholly unrelated to the Rookery; he's important, and not to be bothered, and so he doesn't really matter on a survival level.

The arrival of Aperta in the bar prompts a slightly more intense curiosity. The proprietor has let his lhostick fall from his lips as he slowly trails off from wiping a rag against the perspex glass in his hand; the card game in the corner has frozen; several chairs have shot back in alarm, and one of the solo drinkers is trying to make the sign of the cog without spilling anything or falling off his stool. Another drinker slouches back from what passes for the head, wiping his hands against his raggedy tunic, halfway through a belch before he takes in the scene and turns it into more of a distressed whine.

The voidborn gangles aimlessly by the doorway for a few seconds, before lurching off across the unpleasantly sticky floor, booming a question. His targets, wide-eyed and practically paralysed, manage to shudder out a response to the affirmative.

"Er. Yes?"

----

Sagacious
Barbarigo's Shop - 13:32am
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LITL6bqEj2k

Seated at his writing desk, Barbarigo is ensconced in scrollwork. Heaps of books threaten to topple and fall, buring the acolytes beneath millions of tons of dusty paper, vellum, and crumbling silk from far before the dawn of the Imperium, predating mankind itself. Or so it appears.

"Oh no, I wouldbn't worry aboud any of that that, I think dhose boys just need a little time. The angry one's had his sweedheart signed over to a different krill trawler; he'll dbe lucky to see her once a year, if dhat, and he doesn't accept dhat id's nothing a letter can get her out of. Excuse me." With brisk hands, Barbarigo unfurls a battered, army-issue medpak from the bottom desk drawer, lying it on the towel in front of him. Taking a slug of the laced recaff, lifting the beard with one hand and slapping an analgesic patch onto his exposed neck with the other, he proceeds to snap his nose back into place with practised speed.

"Gnn. Agh. Right, what can-" It takes a moment for him to focus on the photograph in front of him, giving the acolytes a chance to glance around. Gamma has tried to take everything in, but this place is a warren of tomes; dusty leather spines peel from every corner of the room, many of which appear hand-bound. There's no particular warp presence in the area that could be considered out of the ordinary, although a random warp eddy does give her a sudden and uncomfortable awareness of a juvenile Leviathan idly sculling through the abyssal depths, on the other side of the planet. The psyker has a sudden and unaccountable urge for more krill, and to flex the second kilometre of her coils.

Bulworth, by contrast, has no such distractions, and immediately picks up the wood which the trees had threatened to obscure. There's no indication that most of these books around Barbarigo's desk are for sale; unlike the ones near the shopfront, these ones appear to be consulted with some frequency. Most of the spines appear to have titles like Scribe Clothario's Refutation to the Implied Theory of Syncrestic Ourybian Creation Mythology and the like; scholarly tomes, mostly centring around Ourybian mythology, history, and the interplay between the two. Of particular note may be a shelf of what appear to be minutes; Meetings of the Ourybian Brotherhood of Ecumenical Historians - Remonstrance Chapter, edited by a certain P. Barbarigo.

"Pollonia," the scrivener mutters sadly. He toys idly with his beard, distractedly. "It seems you know the how, then. Can I ask...?"

He continues, frowning.

"I shall try and help as best I can, then. I can't say she ever mentioned anything strange about her work. I don't know if you've ever met her but she is- I suppose I mean she was- not one for small talk. She mostly just... did design work for the Deculon family, really. They very rarely contracted her out, is my understanding, and when they did, it was for trifles; gardens for other dynasties, that sort of thing. I'm not sure she ever really had any clients, per se. Nor did she really have a chance to go around making any enemies. I always got the impression she wasn't much into people."

He drums his fingers a little, a little lost in reminiscence as the amasec-laced recaff starts to mingle with the painkillers.

"People have... rituals, don't they. Inefficiencies. Repetitions. Pollonia had a truly exceptional mind, even without her... additions, and she was always looking for new things to solve. Hmm? The Deculons mostly let her come here when her workload wasn't high enough, otherwise she'd go stir crazy. Tremendous capacity for synthesis, analysis; she's helped open up whole new inlets of scholarship into Ourybia's past... and I think she enjoyed it, too. Always seemed a little pent up if she'd not been able to visit for a while. That photo, it's from when she was able to visit three days running..."

There's an array of clumsy raps at the door, and a raised voice.

"Remonstrance Peace Corps. Investigating a disturbance. Open up, sir."

Looks like it may be time to make an exit.

----

Incautious, cont.
Hepaticon Estate - 21:50pm
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jXLmr6c6i8

Max whiles away the time in his tower; an array of battered drinking glasses set in front of the ground floor door provide him with advance warning of any intruders from below, and a truly ancient armchair provides him with a bit of respite from the exertions of the past few days. Eventually he gets a response on the commbead; presumably someone's in the neighbourhood, or maybe they've just used the voxcaster on the boat, and he can stop repeating his message. He whiles away the time by loosening a slat from one of the boarded-up windows, and playing Spot-The-Hepaticon through the tattered gauze curtains. It is a slow, lonely vigil, but no worse than many watches he's stood in his life.

Round about 8pm, he retrieves his stummer, on the understanding that it's probably as charged as it'll ever be from those spent cells. Being summer, it takes some time for night to fall, and Max resolves to make his move around 10pm.

Turning away from the window in the dying throes of twilight, he is alarmed to see light flickering down the stairwell to the top floor. Glow-globe light; light that wasn't there a minute ago, that flickers as if something - or somethings - are moving in front of it. He cannot tell what or how many things are impeding the light; it's a spiral staircase up to the final floor, and all he's seeing is flickers. He cannot hear a thing from the upstairs floor; he cannot even hear the normal creaks and groans of floorboards settling, or the tower cooling in the summer evening.


-----

for reference, cizneros died five days ago; this is the morning of the day after the autopsy, which was - i think - the third day after she died. you guys have pretty much three Ourybian weeks until the Fleet shows

gamma gets some bad rolls on awareness but is fine on scrutiny and psyniscience. bulworth, by contrast, smashes the awareness test instead. nothing heretical; this is all just scholarship, but it does give an idea as to his specialisms. it appears barbarigo is a historian in his spare time, and Cizneros was able to help out with synthesising the millenia of scholarship on the subject when she had time.

gamma: genuine grief at cizneros' death, but nothing excessive. fairly stoic, all told

max gets the best - best! awareness roll. stummer has approx 15mins charge left now, and something's happening upstairs


Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALpC0cKPB3g
Max Flightmaster
Max subvocalizes as he gets off his chair and activates the stummer. ++I feth'd up and let something in. Someone's here with a light globe but they aren't making a sound, nothing I can hear. Assuming its a hostile contact. If I don't vox back in 5 minutes, come and get me out.++ Max starts to creep his way up the stair and move to the very top of the tower. Once he's there he'll "slice the pie" and ID whose in there. If they are human, he's gonna kill all but the most important looking one and take him prisoner. If they aren't, he's gonna kill them all and start screaming for help on the Vox.

Edit: Ok I tracked my Fate Point expenditure: I only spent two FP since we refreshed. FP this awareness please if possible.

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
35  45  30  30  40  40  40  30  20

Wounds: 8/8   Fate: 1/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 3 [Arms/Body/Legs]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Medicae: 40[50] (Medikit)
Security: 40[70] (Multikey)
Scrutiny: 40
Stealth: 40
Tech-Use: 40

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Combat Shotgun 30m S/3/- 1d10+4[7] I Pen: 0 Clip: 27/27 Rld: Half Special: Scatter, Silenced
Chainsword 1d10+5 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing

Noteworthy Talents:
Hip Shooting: Max may make a full move and standard attack with a ranged weapon at the same time.
Quick Draw: Max may draw a weapon as a free action.

Special Abilities
Close Quarters Discipline: An Imperial Navy character scores one additional degree of success on successful Ballistic Skill 
tests he makes against targets at Point-Blank range, at Short range, and with whom he is engaged in melee.
Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, 
and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items
Sure Kill: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, when an Assassin successfully hits with an attack, he may spend a Fate point to 
inflict additional damage equal to his degrees of success on the attack roll on the first hit the attack inflicts

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 22:00

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
A Rookery Barshack
Port Remonstrance


Aperta really was magnificent, Ignatius considered, as he slipped through the front door of the vaguely bar-like hovel. He'd learned something new, the last couple of hours: being not noticed was a hell of a lot easier when there was someone impossible to not notice leading the way. Under any other circumstance, the bottom-tier scum, semi-homeless, addicts, and assorted other seedy characters that adorned this drinking establishment would be gaping at the tall, voidborn stranger who had just wandered into their field of view unexpectedly, despite his well-prepared "disguse" of Rookery-appropriate garb. But now he might as well be invisible.

He resolved to let things play out a bit. Aperta was going to put these folks on edge, no matter what: perhaps they'd blurt something useful out of sheer confusion and shock. If not, then Ignatius would clean up - he'd provide these men with something familiar and comfortable to cling to by playing an expected role: someone mean, articulate, and discretely well-armed who wanted information and was willing to pay a bribe to get it.

They'd agreed this morning that, unless Ignatius specifically signaled him, Aperta was to pretend they were not together, and not acknowledge Ignatius' presence. Aperta could extend his senses into realms Ignatius could barely imagine: pulse rate, skin conductivity, microexpressions, and all manner of other bioinformatics were recordable by his servoskull and mechandritic attachments. But Ignatius provided an entirely different set of observational data, in that he... well, understood people. He might understand what was being carefully and studiously not said, through body language and other emotional cues that Aperta might be unable to interpret. Or failing that, he could at least grab anyone who suddenly decided to make for the door.

That was the theory, anyway. If the poor fellow got into too much conversational peril, Ignatius could intervene and rescue him.

OK, Ignatius is gonna use sneaky skills to get into the bar without being noticed by just walking in without fanfare, 20 seconds after Aperta. Call it Stealth (Ag), maybe. Then he's gonna passively use Scrutiny (+10) or Inquiry (+10). The plan is that if Aperta gets in trouble, makes no headway, or otherwise needs an assist, Ignatius will interrupt and start doing the questioning. If things seem to go well, then Ignatius will linger after Aperta leaves, and potentially buttonhole someone and question them, perhaps getting them alone outside of the bar somewhere. In either event, he'll mix Charm, Deceive, and Interrogate as needed. Probably that's to be played out in my next post.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 06:07

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Rookery - Nameless Bar


If Aperta notices how is presence is affecting the patrons he either does not care or does not acknowledge it.

"As promised, I have come to finish what I could not before. Is there somewhere private that I could finish my examination of you? I wish to cure your illness before it can become an infection vector that could spread through the workforce, thereby keeping valuable souls from their holy tasks."

________________

I want to take these guys somewhere with less people around where I can perform an in-depth medical scan of them to determine if they're mutants like I suspect. If they're unwilling then please roll whatever Fellowship skill you feel would be best, I'm Untrained in all of them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u116HbMOF_Y
Bric-a-brac
Office of the Scrivener Barbarigo
Port Remonstrance


With the knock at the door I knew that was my signal to leave. I let Barbarigo lead me back to the main section of his store. I put my mask on before walking back out to the main storefront, making sure I stop to shake the Scrivener's hand so the enforcer knows I'm not a threat. With that I tell him "Thank you for your time. I need to go follow up on some other leads. I may bring someone in to look at Cizneros' notes in a couple of days, if you don't mind. Good luck with your friend at the door." before I waive Gamma back over to me and we exit out the back door.

As we enter the narrow alley behind the store, I slow down my stride and look over to Gamma "I'm interested if we can get Aperta over here to go through Cizneros' notes somewhere down the line. What's your take on Barbagio?"

I stop before we hit the end of the alley and rejoin the main crowd of the market. "I need to go to my gal and do some shopping, wanna tag along?"

----------

Making an exit out the back door to avoid the space cop. Making some idle chatter and then wandering off to my illicit fence, Maggie. If per GM fiat we're in radio range to hear Max's vox communication, now would be a good time for us to hear him SOS-ing. I may see if I can get a Grapnel and try and spring him from the tower.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2017 around 19:33

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'
Sagacious
Behind Barbagio's Shop
Port Remonstrance


At Barry's complicated sequence of hand gestures Gamma slips the latest copy of the Meetings of the Ourybian Brotherhood of Ecumenical Historians - Remonstrance Chapter into a pocket as Barbagio goes to answer the door, and then follows the Aribites out the back door.

Hopping to keep up with the taller Bulworth as he maneuvers through the alleyways , Gamma thinks back on the conversation before replying.

"He seemed honestly grieved, but not beyond the bounds of propriety. The loss of a colleague and confidante, not a close friend or lover. He didn't seem surprised, but the power struggles between noble houses do seem to generate plenty of corpses. Perhaps he anticipated the risk."

She shrugs. Murder, although a criminal offence, is not a matter of great concern to the Inquisition.

"I'll come and meet your 'gal'. Do you think she can get me tox shells? If i return to the armory so soon it might arouse suspicion."

DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)

Anxious, cont. - 12:51am
Rookery
Port Remonstrance




Mention of "illness" sends most of the other patrons off on a hasty exit, partly out of fear of anything that could warrant the personal attention of a Techpriest, and partly out of the fairly obvious implication that he's not leaving anytime soon. The remaining denizens are mostly those too drunk to want to leave, or those with other mobility problems, like the torso-on-a-cart arrangement that nurses a beaker of liqour with an incongrous seaweed umbrella poking out of the top. It is, after all, a festive season.

Incredulity is stamped on the features of Aperta's patient-targets

"Erm," one of them mumbles. "Horace, we, uh, we OK to use the back room?", to the bartender, who shrugs, indifferently. They open the door to a battered, ill-maintained adjunct to the main bar area; one enters and loiters awkwardly by a table, the other holds the door for Aperta, wheezing slightly.

---

Sagacious, cont.
Barbarigo's Shop - 13:32am
Port Remonstrance




"Hey, what are-"

Barbarigo turns from the door just before opening it, having glanced up at the mirror above the frame and caught full sight of Gamma slipping the book into her bag. He scurries back, a little flustered but not yet visibly angry.

"Those shelves are not for sale, they're the volumes I use for research. I would thank you to return it from where you took it-" The knocking continues, insistently; it takes him a few seconds to spot the gap on the shelf, after which he relaxes somewhat.

"Oh, you're after the minutes. There's a stack of copies out front" - with the wave of a hand towards the corner opposite the door, as he heads back to let the knocker in - "and you are of course welcome to one. My volume happens to be annotated, as I'm still working with it, but please, take one of the fresh ones.". The silhouette of blocky Enforcer flak armour is visible through the translucent, bubbly windows at the front of the shop, shading its eyes and peering in, catching sight of Bulworth's farewell handshake.

-----

Incautious, cont.
Hepaticon Estate - 21:50pm
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9Co_CYny0

Step by step, moving on the balls of his feet, Max paces towards the stairwell from which flickers the curious light. He's acutely aware that his head will be the first thing to come into sight as he rounds the corner of the stairs, and so he does his best to stick to consistent patches of shadow, to break up his outline. Identifying a suitable patch of darkness, he slowly, soundlessly raises his eyes above the level of the top floor.

Temporary glowglobes have been set on the walls, as shambling figures amble to and fro. More of the gangling squidlike mutants that attacked the cell in Cizneros' office pad the floor - five of them, all told - and tend to the bizarre machine in the centre of the room. Some haul fresh batteries; huge, heavy cells, carried with an ease bordering on insouciance in those great, grasping tentacles while their riders twitch and squirm. Their footsteps are noiseless, and it is only when one of them casually drops its burden on the ground, causing the floorboards to jump, that Max realises they must be emitting the curious sound-dampening field that the cell encountered back at the Deculon manse. He curses - he may be able to subvocalise out to anyone who's listening on his commbead channel, but any responses won't come through.

Other mutants squat patiently on their haunches, gill strips flopping in and out with their breath, as their riders turn their tiny, dextrous hands to whatever calibrations the byzantine device requires - hooking up power cables, replacing batteries, and ratcheting cogs to certain configurations. Two more appear to be shuffling some sort of frame into place above the machine, As Max watches, with no small degree of revulsion, a sixth figure abruptly enters the room. Not by window, or stairwell, but by roiling vortex; the shadows converge, whirl, and split, providing a microsecond glance into the raw firmament before the mutant sloshes into the room, brackish water spilling around its boneless ankles.

The sixth creature bears with it a large, transparent jar, containing a considerable amount of nutrient fluid, and an electrode-studded human brain.

Most of the mutants finish their prepwork; one of them quivers gelatinously for a few seconds before a soundlessly roaring vortex opens opposite the stairwell. The brain-carrier busies itself locking the jar into the frame set above the central machine; the remaining five hobble their way towards the portal, tentacles flicking idly.

------

aperta attempts to get a medical scan of the probable mutants, in order to verify that they are mutants. you don't need a medicae test for that, now that you know what to look for; just examine them and move onto the next steps.

ignatius does not need to use stealth to walk into a bar, but has few people to make enquiries of; scrutiny of the mutants indicate that they are nervous and would like aperta to go away. the bartender probably has a weapon under the bar, because he is a bartender, but he's not reaching for it or anything. you can intercept the leavers if you like, but none of them look particularly interesting; just faintly bothered by the presence of the techpriest when they were looking to get sloshed on cheap spirit.

gamma fucks up a sleight of hand test even though it's +40 - she is, after all, untrained at shoplifting, and barbarigo got like 5DoS. charitably, he does not know at this point you intend to flee out the back, and thinks you might be browsing, but he still doesn't want to give you the book. you won't have time to leave and grab another copy of the book without the enforcers coming in, so either nick barbarigo's copy and leg it, or talk the enforcers out of making you give a statement. they like to see who they're talking to.

barbarigo probably didn't seem surprised because you guys just baldly fuckin' told him cizneros was dead and didn't give him any other details. he's got nothing to be surprised by. you tell him her brain got stolen by squid and he'll probably find something of note there.

max gets a powerful fail once again on the awareness - 96, for umpteen DoF. thankfully he totally wrecks the stealth roll for climbing upstairs, and although he does not get the bonus that his awareness would have granted him, he still eludes detection.

a success on the fear test - it's disturbing, but you've met the squid before. i've made a judgement call and assumed you do not want to attack twelve actions' worth of enemy all on your lonesome, but should you wish to suicide-by-squid then we can roll this one back and they will kill you very quickly. exit portal from the sixth squid stays open for a single round and it Surprises you - not having psyniscience - so yeah, can't go through it. entrance portal from the five squid leaving will stay open for three rounds, but, well, there's suicide and there's
suicide. both portals will leave usual psychic traces

one vs one with the element of surprise is much closer, so i guess your next move is either charge in guns blazing once the first five leave (two rounds of actions, as you'll have a Surprise round on your side), or watch to see what happens next. you know these guys are telepathically linked with their riders, so it's a safe assumption that the riders are telling the squid what to do, rather than the squid having any innate technomatic skills.

it can be assumed that someone will have picked up Max's signal at some point during the day, and will have relayed it (via boat caster if needed) to the rest of the cell. however, he's only asked for people to be around there, and no-one has evinced any interest in joining Max in his tower for other reasons, so it's now too late to go "oh by the way i'm at the tower too!!".

DOWN JACKET FETISH fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 20:17

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



I'll make a full post later but I'm gonna switch it up and kill the squid when there's only one of them left. I don't want to see whatever ritual they are about to execute unfold. I'm hoping two rounds of combat allows me to instagib the squid and destroy the brain jar. I'm also hoping i can destroy the machine in place.


Before all of this goes down I will, of cours, vox the cell what I've discovered and my intentions.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 21:25

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Rookery - Backroom
Examination, Part Deux



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lyfbJ0-8YU


*FLASH* * FLASH*

Cogitatio's scanner casts the darkened back room momentarily in sharp light and deep shadows as it once again takes biometric images of the two dirty workers. The results are as expected, but Aperta had needed to be sure, and sure enough the same signs of bone growths on the skull and an extra digit on the hands shows up in the scrawl of information pouring behind his eyes.

"I will need to ask you a few questions, and my treatment is dependant on truthful answers. First, are there any chronic conditions or birth defects that I should be made aware of? Any previous surgeries, including cosmetic?"

As he speaks, Cogitatio begins to whir and grind as internal reservoirs of medicines and drugs are mixed together within it's bronze-plated housing, preparing a treatment for the pair's lung infection
________________

I'll let Ignatius roll for the actual questioning to get out of these guys whether or not they're legit mutants, and aid in that roll. For my part I'm going to actually try and treat these guys for their infection.

Medicae Roll = 60 vs TN 75

Who What Now fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2017 around 22:05

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs
Max Flightmaster
Max subvocalizes in the hopes that the throat mic picks up what he's trying to say and starts to formulate the plan. "This is Max Flightmaster. Those squids are here, 6 of them. One of them came out with a jar filled with some sort of nutrient fluid and a electrode studded brain in it, a lot like the Cizneros situation. No wonder I didn't hear them, these freaks are like living stummer fields. If you talk I probably can't hear you. It's so quiet in here my thoughts are like, loud you know. Anyway before the one with the brainjar came in, the first 5 portaled in and started readying the machine, replacing batteries, doing calibrations and the like. They seated and locked the brain jar into some setup just above the center of this machine. Throne knows why but if it's remotely related to those Hepaticons going berserk earlier then I can't allow this poo poo to go through. I'm going to disrupt this ritual one way or another. The Emperor Protects."

This is it. Max send up a prayer to the Emperor. He prays for salvation from this mutant bullshit. And then he makes his move.

Two things might happen here. 1. If they try to activate the machine and all six are there. Max is gonna pop out, shoot the brainjar and loving LEG IT after the surprise round is up. If he dies he dies. I leave this up to GM discretion to determine if Max feels like its too much to chance it. Better he dies than allow the squid mutants and their riders to complete their business.
2. The other 5 mutants leave and leave brainjar guy to do his thing alone. Max will half move into the room and hopefully be close enough to get a pointblank bonus. He will semi auto burst and hope for a full stack of hits. If the mutant isn't severely wounded or dead in round 1, round 2 he'll split fire and try to shoot the brainjar and any parts of the machine that look important to disable it. Otherwise he'll finish the kill. If this happens. next move is to remove the brain jar from the machine if it can be done quickly and run.

Base TN 45 + appropriate mods + 10 for scatter at short range or point blank. If we get point blank + surprise we're looking at +60 overall so 105 to hit with bonus damage on round one. Round 2 depends on whether I win initiative and can dictate range. If I can dictate range, I'll skirt the 3m edge of point blank shotgun range and keep it going at TN 85 (+10 Scatter/+30 Point Blank). Otherwise, Max will Quick Draw the Chainsword and All-Out Attack at TN 65 to try to finish the freak quickly.


pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
35  45  30  30  40  40  40  30  20

Wounds: 8/8   Fate: 1/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 3 [Arms/Body/Legs]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Medicae: 40[50] (Medikit)
Security: 40[70] (Multikey)
Scrutiny: 40
Stealth: 40
Tech-Use: 40

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Combat Shotgun 30m S/3/- 1d10+4[7] I Pen: 0 Clip: 24/27 Rld: Half Special: Scatter, Silenced
Chainsword 1d10+5 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing

Noteworthy Talents:
Hip Shooting: Max may make a full move and standard attack with a ranged weapon at the same time.
Quick Draw: Max may draw a weapon as a free action.

Special Abilities
Close Quarters Discipline: An Imperial Navy character scores one additional degree of success on successful Ballistic Skill 
tests he makes against targets at Point-Blank range, at Short range, and with whom he is engaged in melee.
Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, 
and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items
Sure Kill: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, when an Assassin successfully hits with an attack, he may spend a Fate point to 
inflict additional damage equal to his degrees of success on the attack roll on the first hit the attack inflicts

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 22:00

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GTsV4qCvkg
Distress
Outside the Office of the Scrivener Barbarigo
Port Remonstrance


I round the alley back into the main streets when my earbud flickers back to life.

**something something placeholder text about getting Viva's transmissions but broken up and garbled, can make out "backup at the hepaticon estate" and rushes to his fence**

----------
At the Metal Reclamation Yard, White Squall

Requisition check for a grapnel +10 for availability +10 for using my illicit fence +10 for peer Misses by a fair amount

Fate point to reroll check for grapnel hits 2 degrees of success for a common quality one


----------
Hepaticon Residence, Evening

**something something placeholder text Barry is finding a vantage point outside the Hepaticon estate to use grapnel to create a emergency zipline into the outlaying urban sprawl, need to find a window or ledge to fire the grapnel into that Max can get to**

First stealth check: fails

FATE POINT REROLL: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/528344] 26 is tentatively 2 degrees of success if you want to raise or lower it due to darkness and/or using a grapnel to get into harder to see vantage points on one of the lower laying guest or servant quarters.


----------
Speedposting motherfucker, will try to flesh out details tomorrow or Sunday, for now know that I got Viva's back should he go for an emergency exit.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 14:43

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'
Sagacious
Behind Barbagio's Shop
Port Remonstrance


"I was...just browsing?"

Gamma manages not to stammer, puts the copy down and beats a hasty retreat the second Barbagio's back is turned.

DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)


DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's about a kilometre scramble across gardens and through hedges, from the point you scale the walls until you're at the door of the tower.

that's a pretty long grapnel. you're gonna need to be on the grounds if you want to give max a zipline out of there, and as grapnels are only 100m long, you're going to get a goon zipline situation unless you've just providing a rope to rappel down. given that he's going to wait until most of the squid have gone and then assassinate the remaining one, you have the option to retract that fatepoint and pretend that requisition roll never happened so that the initial failure doesn't temporarily impact your Influence.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



you know this shits good if it starts in FYAD

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:





that's a pretty long grapnel. you're gonna need to be on the grounds if you want to give max a zipline out of there, and as grapnels are only 100m long, you're going to get a goon zipline situation unless you've just providing a rope to rappel down. given that he's going to wait until most of the squid have gone and then assassinate the remaining one, you have the option to retract that fatepoint and pretend that requisition roll never happened so that the initial failure doesn't temporarily impact your Influence.


Added stealth checks to my previous post to represent finding a dark corner somewhere in grapnel shot of the tower *on* the Hepaticon estate. If I've got 100m of grapnel line and Max's escape window is 50 meters up, some quick napkin Pythagorean theorem tells me Barry can be about 85 meters away. Barry probably doesn't know that in character, so he's probably posted somewhere about 75 meters from the tower just to be sure.

Edit: I'm still presumably masked if something goes bad and I get spotted, they hopefully wont see my face.

Edit 2: Also Max isn't going to wait until most of the squidbeasts are gone if it looks like they are going to activate the device, per his post. Keeping in mind that he's probably using his gun to ride down the zip line Uncharted style (minus the line snapping at the end hopefully) that should provide enough friction for the decent to keep him slow enough from snapping his legs at the bottom.

Edit 3: Also why would retracting the fate point on the grapnel reroll no longer temporarily impact my influence? If it's going to impact it's going to impact, and I thought fate point rerolls completely superseded the effects of the original roll.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 15:23

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



I mean I've always wanted a good craftmanship Bionic Locomotion System so sure lets ride the goon zipline to a crippling end so I can get new legs lmao.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
A Rookery Barshack
Port Remonstrance


Oh well. He'd been hoping to observe the questioning anonymously for a few minutes before stepping in, but Ignatius supposed the privacy of a back room was enough of an advantage to be worth it. He pushes past the stragglers in the main room of the bar, entering the back room not far after Aperta and making sure both of the suspected mutants were blocked in. On his way through the door he gives the bartender a nod - just a little "don't worry we're not here to destroy your bar" kind of thing, hopefully.

"Boys," Ignatius says once the door is shut behind him, "My esteemed colleague and I of course have your own best interests at heart. Why don't you start by giving us your medical history? We would like to know, just for example, all about your past... surgeries."

Ignatius will assist Aperta - or vice-versa - in questioning the suspected mutants about the horns and the finger etc. We will start friendly-like, but Ignatius will accelerate into full-on interrogation if they are completely uncooperative.


Ignatius Malbau
Outside the Hepaticon estate
Port Remonstrance


Substantially later in the day
Dammit, why did Max go in alone? Ignatius adjusted his festival mask so he could reach in and press the earbud closely into his right ear. He was sitting on an ornate stone-carved bench a half-block from the Hepaticon estate's main entrance, pretending to browse a pamphelet some street-hawker had handed him an hour ago. The cheap yellow paper was festooned with stylized skulls and Imperial eagles, and emblazoned with inspirational slogans; the poorly-composed text promoted some kind of pro-Emperor religious ceremony to be held tomorrow.

He lifted his eyes, briefly, to scope out that entrance again. It was staffed, of course - during the last hour he'd seen one or two people come and go, just household servants on errands or whatever, and it was evident there were guards inside the tall, imposing doors - but nothing seemed particularly out of the ordinary. Peeking above the roofline of the ornate buildings near the entryway, Ignatius could just make out the tower Max was in right now. He hoped to hell the man knew what he was doing.

Ignatius' combead suddenly activated, startling him. "This is Max Flightmaster. Those squids are here, 6 of them..."

He was on his feet almost instantly, striding as quickly as he could without actually running towards the front door. Barry was around here somewhere...

OK Ignatius is ready to make a fuss at the front door, but I need to know who else is here. If you want to have also been staking the place out for a little while, post: otherwise, I'm headed in alone.

DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)

Anxious, cont. - 12:51am
Rookery
Port Remonstrance


The bar backroom is musty, smelling of salt and sewage. The pair seem taken aback by Ignatius' entry, but seeming as Aperta makes no move to block him, they let it pass.

"Oh. Erm. No, nothing from me", one of them says, nervously rubbing the scar tissue at the base of his left hand.

"Yep, same for, for me," from the other, leaning forward slightly so her hair covers more of her forehead. "Not, uh, something we tend to get a lot of round here, surgery."

Aperta's ministrations indicate that they have fairly advanced emphysema - their lung tissue is quite damaged. He can ease their symptoms with an synth-opiod tincture, but they won't recover for years. Normally found in people with a serious lho habit, or those who deal with volatile chemicals under poor safety conditions. Neither of these two appear to smoke.Interestingly, their scars - the ones that indicate mutanthood, and there doesn't look like any other viable explanation at the moment - appear to have been made in adulthood. A child born with mutations will generally be killed, consecrated, and burnt. These extra appendages must have sprouted during their working lives.


----

Incautious, cont.
Hepaticon Estate - 21:40pm
Port Remonstrance


Bulworth lurks in the shrubbery of the Hepaticon estate. Max hears the thunk of a grapnel-head embedding in the wood of one of the boarded-up windows on his floor; drawing the thing in tight, he secures the grapnel, and loosens the fastenings from the inside of the boards. Should he need to beat a hasty escape, he'll be able to power through the flimsy pasteboard coverings while barely slowing down. He idly hopes that the suspiciously taut cord would be relaxed in the event that he would have to use it, on the understanding that rappelling down the side of the tower using the line is probably safer than plummeting to a messy death via overenthusiastic zipline. He has faith that Bulworth will sort it out, though, and continues to wait for the last rays of sun to disappear.

---

Incautious, cont.
Hepaticon Estate - 21:51pm
Port Remonstrance




Max gamely holds his nerve as the five chimaerae plod into the roiling vortex, one after another, as the sixth busies itself with ratcheting the brain jar into place atop the device. By the time the squidfolk have made their egress and the portal has winked out, the final one appears to have finished its work; as it steps back from the machine, a spasm of pink lightning jolts from the brain tank - the nutrient solution now bubbling alarmingly - to the central crystal. The connection appears to hold, and the smaller crystals around the pedestal begin, slowly at first, to rotate around the centre.

This is about as much horrifying tech-heresy as Max is willing to stand; he's been edging up the stairs as the main bulk of the mutants leave, but now he rises, sights, and unloads on the paired creature standing before him, just as the smaller one cocks its head in his direction with jerky, avian speed. His shotgun jolts, silently, as putrid black ichor blooms from fist-sized rents in the taller creature's torso and splatters the opposite wall. Ribs and lungs are on view, but disturbingly, the thing is still standing - it turns, rearing its tentacles up again, only to take a second barrage across its thighs.

This time, Max gets a little luckier. The heavy buckshot thoroughly shreds the horror's legs, shattering the bones and flensing the flesh. It crashes soundlessly to the ground, dumping out gallons of thick black blood and expiring in moments. The little creature atop it thrashes and squirms, struggling to detach itself from its now-deceased steed, and Max unloads a third time at point-blank range, this time at a smaller target. It splatters into unrecognisable chunks of gore - the shotgun's barking retort is unexpectedly loud after the preceeding silence, but still won't have spread far across this humid night on the Hepaticon estate.

Breathing hard, the Voidmaster now turns his attention to the device next to him. The brain, pinioned on a lurid spike of energy, bobs turbulently in its jar; the auxiliary crystals have accelerated noticeably in the quarter-minute that he has been pumping buckshot into a horribly resilient mutant, but they don't seem to be anywhere near up to full speed yet.

---

Vicarious
Hepaticon Estate Outskirts - 21:51pm
Port Remonstrance


As Ignatius hurriedly the main entrance, the muted, cracking refrain of a silenced automatic shotgun rings out over his commbead in the quiet, cloying night. The guards on duty at the guardpost seem bored, listless, and not really paying attention, and show no signs that anything untoward is happening.

----

i think i initially introduced these guys as "they might be mutants but you'd have to check" and assumed i'd actually confirmed that later. which i have actually not done! to confirm, if there is any doubt, they are definitely mutants with the mutations - well, malignancies - chopped off. they are not very mutanty mutants, but the mutants are lying about being mutants. i'm not going to roll for this, it's blatantly obvious. escalate.

Interrogate is a skill that normally takes hours, but in this instance they're not exactly hard nuts to crack so i will say you can get it done in fifteen minutes or so, assuming gunpoint or similar show of force. Intimidate would be something you'd use to get a single scrap of info like "where did you get those horns?", but neither of you are trained in it so you'd probably not meet much success. Charm is ineligible - they aren't going to casually confess to something that might get them burned - and Deceive would come at a hefty penalty as you'd have to essentially cross-examine them into a YOU'RE drat RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED situation

bulworth buys an expensive grapnel, gets into the estate, deploys it.

max gets 83 on his first volley - TN 105, this is 4+1 DoS, meaning all three shots connect for middling damage rolls; squid is not yet in critical damage, but max gets initiative and connects with all three rounds again. his damage rolls are amusingly lovely but it's enough to pulp the walker and use the third shot on the little thing.

third shot is required, which isn't stummered - a consummate success, and i'm not going to roll damage because it literally cannot survive this

brain remains in place - do you want to just shoot it, or retrieve it, or faff around with the rest of the machine, or what?

ignatius arrives at the entrance to the estate in time to see the guards not do anything. as a reminder, you are still 1km from the tower at this point.

DOWN JACKET FETISH fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 21:49

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



FYI. Max's shotgun has the silencer modification. If stuff still gets heard, then stuff still gets heard. Just wanted to point it out.

Max Flightmaster
"Situation secure! Squid killed. Recovering the brain case and getting the feth outta here!" Max voxes excitedly as he moves to grab the brain jar out of the machine and get the hell out of the tower. He'll make use of the grapnel to rappel down to the bottom of the tower if possible. If its set up as a zipline, he'll tell Bulworth what to do, probably disengage the line from his (Bulworth's) end so he can just rappel down to the bottom of the tower and recover the line afterwards, assuming he can shake it loose. There's still some unfinished business: the machine is still intact. Max will figure the machine would have spun down by now or otherwise no longer be charged up with sorcerous energies minus the brainjar. Max will scope it out of course, but he'll take about a minute or so to fire buckshot into as many vital components as he thinks he can reliable destroy. He'll start with the batteries and then start shooting up the gears. 20 rounds of buckshot later, he'll reload and take the grapnel line down to the base of the tower.

He'll try to shake the line loose from the tower so he can reuse it to maybe rappel at another point on the estate and maybe get off the drat grounds without having to cross 1km of Hepaticon estate. Otherwise, time to figure out a distraction to draw the guards away so he can get out with the loot.

It'll take a few minutes to deal with the grapnel to make sure Max doesn't die taking the zipline down or worse, destroy the brainjar after going to the trouble to recover it. Rappelling to the bottom of the tower is the route I'm going since that sounds much smarter. If its better to just zipline out and I get to keep the brainjar intact then let's just do that.

Damaging or destroying the machine will take approximately 35 seconds of fire and 5 seconds to reload and begin moving out of the room again.


pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
35  45  30  30  40  40  40  30  20

Wounds: 8/8   Fate: 1/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 3 [Arms/Body/Legs]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Medicae: 40[50] (Medikit)
Security: 40[70] (Multikey)
Scrutiny: 40
Stealth: 40
Tech-Use: 40

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Combat Shotgun 30m S/3/- 1d10+4[7] I Pen: 0 Clip: 27/27 Rld: Half Special: Scatter, Silenced
Chainsword 1d10+5 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing

Noteworthy Talents:
Hip Shooting: Max may make a full move and standard attack with a ranged weapon at the same time.
Quick Draw: Max may draw a weapon as a free action.

Special Abilities
Close Quarters Discipline: An Imperial Navy character scores one additional degree of success on successful Ballistic Skill 
tests he makes against targets at Point-Blank range, at Short range, and with whom he is engaged in melee.
Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, 
and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items
Sure Kill: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, when an Assassin successfully hits with an attack, he may spend a Fate point to 
inflict additional damage equal to his degrees of success on the attack roll on the first hit the attack inflicts

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 22:00

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'
Incautious
Port Remonstrance


At the Metal Reclamation Yard, White Squall

"I don't wish to intrude, but my friend assures me you are a resourceful person when it comes to finding...trifles. Do you maybe have a way to get me toxin shells? No, for a bolt pistol. Yes, I know that they're expensive. No, the type of toxin isn't important, I'll be having it customized by...another friend"

Gamma stops rambling at the fence after a hand signal from Bulworth reminds her that this random criminal doesn't need to know any further details.

Acquisition - Tox Shells TN 15: 1d100 20, so not a success unless I can tap in to Barry's +10 with the fence. Either way we take -1 subtlety I think

Slightly Further Outside Hepaticon Estate

Gamma keeps an eye out for the rest of the Acolytes or any other activity from the shelter of a nearby cafe. The waiter eyes her with suspicion as she pours another glass of water and continues perusing the menu.

just making sure I'm close to the scene

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
25  25 20  50  40  50  40  50  25

Wounds: 11/11   Fate: 4/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 2  TB: 5
Armour: 2 [Head/Arms/Body/Legs]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Scrutiny: 40


Weapons:
GC Bolt Pistol.  RANGE: 30m ROF: S/2/ DAM: 1d10+5 X PEN: 4 CLIP: 8/8 RLD: Full 
SPECIAL: Tearing, Reliable, Red-Dot Sight, Custom Grip, Modified Stock
Clips: 1 Standard (8/8) 4 Inferno (8/8, 8/8, 8/8, 8/8)

Staff DAM: 1d10+2 I PEN: 0 Special: Balanced, Primitive (7)


Noteworthy Talents:
Quick Draw: Gamma may draw a weapon as a free action.

Special Abilities
Assail: 

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


^^^ If you were to req the tox round pre-cursor materials instead of the actual item you want it's a step more available (so you'd hit the check and we have no subtlety hit), you'd just have to hand it off to Aperta to actually make the rounds properly. We'd have to modify any tox shells you got if you wanted to make them anti-squid anyways.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5daYYY6dBUE
Distress
In the Hepaticon Garden
Port Remonstrance


I hear the sound of Max's shotgun through my comm-bead, but from immediately outside the tower it's barely a whisper. Judging by the lack of movement from the guard posts and patrols, it's safe to assume that nobody is on alert yet. I wait for the closest patrol to turn their back and head back toward the main estate before I move in closer to the tower, sneaking in through the outer gate that Max already sliced on his way to the tower. I move underneath the window that my Grapnel is stuck in, vocalizing into the comm-bead "I'm underneath the tower now Max, the grapnel cable is straight underneath your escape window. Do you know how to rappel or fast-rope?"

I slide into the shadow of the tower, using my vantage point to keep an eye on guard movement.

----------

Moving underneath the tower so the grapnel is now a rappel rope instead of a zipline. Moving to a nearby convenient hiding spot and awareness-ing my surroundings to try and keep an eye on the movement of the guards to plan our escape.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2017 around 17:56

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



DeathSandwich posted:

^^^ If you were to req the tox round pre-cursor materials instead of the actual item you want it's a step more available (so you'd hit the check and we have no subtlety hit), you'd just have to hand it off to Aperta to actually make the rounds properly. We'd have to modify any tox shells you got if you wanted to make them anti-squid anyways.

yeah I thought about that after the roll. DJF, is it OK to retcon that?

DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)

nope, not having a three-step process, otherwise the logical end step is "requisitioning iron ore to eventually make terminator armour"

besides, where's this rule about precursor materials being more available than the actual item? only thing i'm seeing is the weapon mods "do your own attachment" rule

e: oh, duh, crafting rules

DOWN JACKET FETISH fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2017 around 23:53

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



the ability of a PC to craft things is entirely up to the GM anyway so I guess I just have to cry about it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



craft me a good GBS post

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Rookery - Backroom
Examination, Part Deux


The workers are lying, even Aperta can tell now. And it's not hard to understand why, mutation can be a death sentence on loyal Imperial worlds. But the vast majority of mutations happen at birth, and the signs of their surgery are recent.

"Very strange." Aperta says as he waves Cogitatio to his side, "It seems I need to recalibrate my bio-auspex, as I detected signs of dense bone growth on your skull, and scars from removing a vestigial finger on your hands." Aperta states flatly, as his skull projects a hologram of it's scans into the air, filling the room with an amber glow.

"I'll ask again, do you have any previous operations you wish to notify me about? We can help you." The priest does his best to convey as much empathy as he can through a monotone voxcoder.
________________

I'll aid whatever social roll Ignatius tries to make.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Open Waters - roughly 22:00 hours


Aperta sits attentively at the helm of The Pelicanus, ready to bring it to whatever part of the island is needed to extract his fellow acolytes once they can exit the tower, and coordinating the group's coordination through the ship's more powerful voxcaster.

__________

Establishing myself as driving the boat while Max's poo poo is going down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
A Rookery Barshack
Port Remonstrance


"Let's be clear," Ignatius adds. "We have no interest in making your lives difficult. Rather, if there is something causing loyal hard-working fellows like yourselves to have, ah, medical difficulties, we wish to identify the source and make it stop. The two of you are obviously fine upstanding citizens, I'm sure."

Good cop. Reassure the dudes.


Ignatius Malbau
Outside the Hepaticon estate
Port Remonstrance


Arriving at the entryway to the Hepaticon estate, Ignatius hesitates, listening to the updates from Flightmaster and Bulworth. The critical emergency was now merely a serious situation, which suggested a less drastic approach.

Just going to loiter by the entranceway for as long as I can without looking too suspicious.

DOWN JACKET FETISH
Sep 20, 2003

(it's not bill cosby)

Anxious, cont. - 12:52am
Rookery
Port Remonstrance


"Oh, uh, n-no, that doesn't s-sound like us at all," the presumably-recently-defingered scav chatters.

"N-no, everyone knows mutants g-get killed at birth. H-how would we have horns?", from the other.

Clearly they haven't dealt with this sort of situation before.

----

Incautious, cont.
Hepaticon Estate - 21:52pm
Port Remonstrance


Max, still burning with adrenaline, makes a snatch for the brainjar at the centre of the coruscating spike of energy. He times his swipe well, and seizes the casing at a point when the circling arms aren't between him and the central pillar. Tiny screws and fittings spackle to the dusty floorboards as he wrenches the jar out of its casing, but the glass holds and no stray jolts of lightning strike him, and he staggers back clutching the disembodied brain to his chest. The spike of energys lessens and wanes, before winking out entirely; the arms immediately begin to decelerate.

Panting for breath, and trying not to inhale too much of the squid-creature stench, Max sets the brain down and begins immediately unloading his shotgun into the sturdiest parts of the machine. It takes a while, but the constant stress and punishment of the heavy steel shot begins chipping away at the batteries until they split outright, spilling noxious chemicals onto the floorboards, which begin to faintly smoke. Turning his attention to the core of the device, Max wreaks havoc among the finely-calibrated gearworks. By the time his magazine is empty, the machine superstructure and pedestals still stands, but the mechanisms by which it can rotate are thoroughly, abjectly ruined.

Gathering his spent shells, Max lashes the brain-case to his back before rappelling down the line out of the window, skimming soundlessly into the night...

---

Serendipitious
Warehouse Base - Late
Port Remonstrance


The extraction from the Hepaticon estate barely warranted the term - the guards were dozing off at their posts, everything seeming quiet and dull in the musky summer's night. Max and Bulworth practically sauntered out of the front gate.

When more visitors arrived at the top of the Hepaticon tower to see why the expected results had not come about, some twenty minutes after Max's egress, all they found were corpses and ruined machinery, and the notable absence of an expected brain-husk. Nothing remained to track the Voidmaster down - no spoor from psychic abilities of his own, no tell-tale scraps that could be gleaned from observing the guards. The only silver lining was that the focus crystals had been apparently spared the onslaught; solemnly detaching them from the wreckage, the shards were brought back to safety, and for use in future plans.

The cell have reconvened, however briefly, to consolidate their gains. They have sketches of an arcane machine, and they have an unexpected brain. Quite what these represent is probably a matter for discussion. They have also made contact with Barbarigo, Cizneros' colleague in puzzling out the mythology, history, and mythological history of Ourybia, but have chosen not to raise the matter of "Omphalos" with him.

----

i'll call that a charm roll from ignatius with a -40 modifier which unsurprisingly fails. as per last post, you cannot sweet-talk these people into saying Oh Hey Yes I Was A Mutant Now That You Mention It just as you cannot normally get a murderer to confess to murder in exchange for complimenting his suit, and if you want to take the approach of "tell me the deal with the horns and i let you walk away" then i need a call on whether you're Interrogating or Intimidating. one is quick, one is thorough.

max takes a swipe at the brain, grabs it with little effort (success on a +20 Athletics). he then begins to shoot at the batteries and then the gears of the machine. essentially that's 27 shots and you need an 8 to begin damaging it, which damages its AP meaning you need a 7, which damages its AP meaning you need an 6.... i'll be generous and call this a mixture of a cogitator bank and thick iron, meaning the AP is 15. rolls are slow at first but get there in the end, and he does a majestic 89 points of structural damage to the batteries and then core of the machine.

stealthing out the manor with bulworth assist is a success.

still in downtime, i just want to bring everyone back to the warehouse briefly to highlight that yes, tower adventures are over. we still await the results of the Aperta And Ignatius Variety Show, which may or may not indicate where the mutants got their mutations.

if you've still got stuff to do, you've not lost your chance; requisitions can still happen. you do however need to work out next steps, and the next big Let's Go Investigate thing, plus if someone could do a quick "hmm let's think about the squid" post it means i can tell the cell what they know about fighting those things. also you still need to sort out your poison choices. do it, or i'll get christopher lee to sing at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
A Rookery Barshack
Port Remonstrance


"How unfortunate of you fellows to say so. I was rather hoping you would be more cooperative, you know, without all the needles and the screaming."

I'm assuming Ignatius and Aperta can restrain these fellows, but we'll do a combat if necessary. Nonlethal damage using the shock prod thingy if possible. Once they are fully restrained, I'mma do a full-blown Interrogation, using whatever time is available before Ignatius needs to go uselessly be outside the Hepaticon estate later.

I want to know what caused these guys to mutate, where it is, who is in charge of it, how long ago it happened, who did the surgery and where, and any other pertinent details. When we're done we'll let them go with a stern warning not to talk.

Requesting an assist on the Interrogate roll from Aperta, who I assume can do things with the servoskull, etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at Jun 26, 2017 around 21:08

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«11 »