Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
  • Post
  • Reply
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth

Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


I keep my face blank, unsure if anyone else caught what just happened. The signal was shut down after the Adept started talking about a gellar field. I rack my memory, only able to recall that it's normally part of voidfaring ships. If they have one land-side, it's probably not for a very above-the-board reason.

When I get the chance, I slip between my comrades in hushed whispers, at first figuring out what the thing is, and also to make sure we're on the same page. Ignatius, the first one I asked and also being a former navy officer knew right away: A barrier against the warp. When I make it to Gamma, I'm on to asking why someone would want it ostensibly outside of warp travel.

Needless to say, I'm suddenly a lot more suspicious of our most gracious host. I keep my mind on my shotgun under my coat and our exit strategy the moment things get weird.

----

Playing kind of stupid in character on the Gellar field thing, I know it's important but since I'm not from a voidfaring/psyker/techie background it's a fair assumption I wouldn't have been exposed to it and would need to ask the other more knowledged characters as to why it's significant. Since I'm on a bad run of dice I really don't think I can get away with trying to sneak off and look for anything suspicious, playing it safe but cautious until the scene transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Sciolism, cont.
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQbmayoNqA

Between contract negotiations, Eadian casts sideways glances at Thunder and Lighting, trying to work out why they may be so full of themselves. The answer comes to him pretty quickly - their relationship with Iseppo doesn't appear particularly strained, so they've probably barely even received a slap on the wrist for their roll in his temporary kidnapping. Keeping his impatience with them in check, he instead goes on the offensive with Iseppo, loading him down with social niceties and attempts to distract the Deculon away from strictly business matters, as part of the negotiation process. This has the helpful side-benefit of allowing Gamma to wander off at an opportune moment, as the table erupts with laughter at a particularly fitting bon mot at the expense of another, minor noble dynasty on the other side of Remonstrance.

Bulworth lurks around, performing vague perambulations of the perfumed garden in which the conference is taking place. Through conversation with the rest of his cell, he manages to put together a few ideas on the benefits to having a voidcraft embedded in the surface of Ourybia. The proposed site of the training academy is within spitting distance of the Remonstrance spaceport; to his suspicious mind, it strikes him that if a family were looking to corner the market in the psyker tithe for future generations, having a big psionically impervious prison near a spaceport would be a handy way to do so. That's entirely conjecture, though - if it ever becomes important, some actual investigative work would be needed. Plus, there's the small fact that no-one's actually going to build this loving academy that everyone's having to spend hours discussing. Still, there's worse assignments; the canapés are good, if a little rich and heavy on the oil.

He still hasn't noticed any cameras apart from the flitting of monotask-skulls around the battlements - from incidental discussions with Aperta the cell's aware that the security system at the Gilded Thorn was surprisingly robust and comprehensive, based as it was around the sensor suite of a scuttled transatmospheric fighter. It probably warranted such a high-tech solution because of its status as high-class brothel - video footage is good leverage! - and also because of its relatively dense size. The same coverage over the sprawling Deculon manse would be totally unworkable, hence the more standard use of skulls that home in on any surprising noise.

While the rest of the cell keep the Deculon entourage occupied, Gamma flags down the peon who, earlier, was so forthcoming as to give her an overview of the manses' layout. Wishing to cite some arcane snippet of contract lore that she flagged up ahead of time, she accompanies him to the archive stacks to spend a few minutes digging it up. Conveniently, she manages to lose him on the way back, and takes an unfortunate wrong turning towards the psyker cells, looking to get a closer look at the arrangements there. Padding through marbled corridors ensconced with saints and ancestors, she makes sure to keep a worried, preoccupied look plastered on her face as if she genuinely has lost her way, but, pausing at a particular intersection, she momentarily focuses her will once more.

Closer to the cells, she can feel their absence sucking at her mind like a cavity where once there was a tooth - she detects no gaps in them, no hint of taint. It looks like that psionically at least, the cells are up to scratch. This means that yes, they're usable for sealing psykers - at least the cell can cross off one possible lead to what caused the psionic flare that wiped out the occupants of the Sea Grape. It's not a tithed psyker.

Unfortunately, the mundane defences guarding the cells are just as effective as the Empyreal ones; Gamma has chosen her moment of distraction rather poorly, and is surprised by a pair of guards rounding the corner on her. One clutches a heavy shotgun and immediately slams a hand up to his commbead; the other, with difficulty, restrains a pair of slavering and particularly enthusiastic - verging on the rabid - attack dogs. The situation is smoothed over rapidly once it's "established" that she is simply a member of today's Navy delegation who lost their way on the way back from the archives, but she is rapidly delivered back to the party with polite rapidity, albeit some suspicious glances.

----

eadian passes a +50 scrutiny test re: thunder and lightning and realises they are smug because they've gotten away scott free re: kidnapping him. nice to have confirmation i guess

occupying iseppo's attention counts as an assist for gamma slipping away unnoticed.

bulworth has a think - i have flipped a coin to determine whether his conjectures have any truth to them - and counts as an assist for gamma

gamma sort of fucks up the stealth roll, untrained as it is, but has two assists and it's an initial +30 so she manages it.

now that she's closer to the cells, she can psyniscience them properly. it's a +10 check due to both range and ease, and she scrapes through with 2DoS - the cells are definitely sealed properly, they'd be more than suitable if you wanted to incarcerate a psyker there. unfortunately, she fails the much more difficult stealth check to not get caught by the psyker-guards so she breaks decorum and gets escorted back. thankfully this doesn't actually matter because no-one else has hosed up yet.

cizneros friday/saturday - left it too late tonight, sorry!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avBLBKL1FB0
Max Flightmaster
Gellar fields planetside? That's loving unheard of, that's to keep the monsters of the warp out of your ship during transit. And Iseppo was quick to shut Cizneros up by killing the feed. Max makes sure to mingle and stick by Ignatius for a bit. He starts talking in code, paraphrasing his thoughts from what he remembered being taught of the Cell's Cant, but it comes out stilted and rough. "Iseppo subject interest, Gellar Field thing. Remove from locals after Cizneros?" Not the most clear interpretation so he'll probably end up pulling Ignatius off to the side, looking around a bit and then slipping into some hallway to have a quick chat. "That stunt with the technomat. Curious timing that. I suggest we schedule a tea time with the man and get some questions answered. There's something bigger going on here. Subvox to the others I guess if you concur with my reasons, I won't act without your approval." Speaking of subvocalizing, Max's voice cracks over the cell's microbeads "What happened Gamma did you find anything?"

Max may want to sneak around with the Stummer and get eyes on those cells, that said Gamma did a good enough job as is to pretty much confirm whats up.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2016 around 15:46

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Mandarinism
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFgf7lqhlI

Negotiations drag on. Max considers whether he should sneak off as well following Gamma's little excursion - eventually, despite the tedium, he decides against it. While he'd doubtless be more successful in escaping undetected, given his actual stealth training and his sound-dampening machinery, the guards are a little more on-edge now. Besides, what would the gain be? The cell already have a floorplan of the manse - sanitised no doubt, and with guard posts presumably missing, but probably nothing that the cell's collective heads couldn't work out. Max is also not someone able to judge the capability of a psionically warded cell - he could maybe poke his head in and see what the contents are, but even assuming he can get past the considerable physical security arrangements in place, the problem with opening a box full of rabid psykers is that he might not have much of a head to pull back out.

By questioning Iseppo's gaggle of tame Deculons, by engaging the odd guard, the odd flunkey in small talk, and grabbing the odd document floating around, Max is able to piece together what he half-suspected already. Psyker containment on Ourybia - partly due to limited land space, partly due to the shaky technical capacity of the planet - seems mostly to consist of small vault-like cells, holding only a handful at a time. Sure, the chance of a psyker being born to any particular set of parents is vanishingly rare, but there's nearly a billion souls crammed onto Ourybia and the Fleet only shows ones every twenty years at best. So, arrangements for the tithe are prioritised. Those caught young, or the docile, or the feeble; these end up at outer facilities. The strongest or most rebellious get the strongest security - inland, surrounded by guards. So, Gamma's likely to have experienced a lock-up operating at the peak of Ourybian prowess. The fact that it is merely average in its containment capability is possibly a cause for concern.

Eventually, the appointed time arrives. Finally. The sun is now defiantly overhead, and beats down on Remonstrance like a bronze hammer - the gardens of the Deculon manse remain pleasantly cool. Despite the hours spent in strident negotiation for a building that does not actually have any chance of being created, it's debatable how many of the cell would be willing to trade places with an Ourybian dock worker in this midday heat. Discussions are broken off for the meantime, with the understanding that they will reconvene in an hour. The party are led away from the administration wing and into the heart of the manse, where one would expect to find the nobility's personal offices...

---

Mandarinism, cont.
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


bzzzzzt

"Madame Adept? Ma'am?"

The door's dark wood, inland with bands of bronze. Wait, no - plated... something. Is that baleen? No, it's enamel - is this one of those leviathan teeth? It must be. How on earth did they saw it into bands like this? It must have smelled awful.

All these fascinating thoughts and more occupy the minds of the Acolytes as they hang around impatiently outside the door as their pair of escorts try to raise Cizneros on the intercom. They've already wasted several minutes of their allocated time with this. In between attempts, the escorts share tales of her eccentricities between clenched teeth. Scratching idly under her flak helmet, the second guard - short, stocky - relates - Cizneros' door's got an electronic lock, like most offices in this part of the manse, but to the incredible and constant annoyance of the inner mansion security detail, it's not on the main circuit. Cizneros' office is essentially locked off to all but the highest echelons of security staff, apparently due to the sensitive nature of what she works with on a daily basis. To make matters worse, she's got an irritating habit of physically padlocking the door when her nerves get too much. She doesn't like distractions - the office isn't soundproofed yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.

Then, suddenly:

"Hello? Yes. Hello.. Cizneros' voice crackles over the intercom.

"Ah, your, uh, Naval Delegation to see you, ma'am" stammers the first guard - tall, wiry, and surprised at actually getting through this quickly.

"Who? What? Oh." There is the sound of someone quickly leafing through papers. "Oh. Yes. Send them... send them in."

There is a brief pause.

"The, ah, door, ma'am?", Stocky asks.

"Yes. Ah. Hello.". Click. Buzz.

Wiry rolls his eyes. "We'll be just outside. You've got fifteen minutes, sirs and madam, then we have to bring you back. Apparently the Adept's got a pretty full schedule at the moment, and the boss doesn't want her stressed."

---

Mandarinism, cont.
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance




The office is... crowded would be a polite term.

Presumably the cleaning staff aren't allowed in all that often due to the sensitive nature of what is worked on, and presumably the filing system must make sense to the heightened consciousness of the Adept, but to the Acolytes, the room looks like a loving tip. It's quite a big space as well to be so messy - at a glance, it appears to be four rooms in one, each six metres square and joined by an expansive, vaulted arch. Fish tanks and stuffed Ourybian wildlife - is that a pickled squid? - jostle for space with rolls of vellum and mouldering oneshot dataslates.

The suite is gloomy in the extreme; there's no external windows, and the only lights come from vidscreen monitors and the odd desk lamp. The room's got perfectly serviceable electrolanterns on the ceiling - they're just not currently in use.

Cizneros sits at her desk at the far end of the room, her back to the cell, hunched forwards over her desk that sits in front of her main vidscreen. A small cogitator thrums beside her. She appears practically shapeless under her heavy robe; a bent-over, hooded puddle of fraying, opulent fabric. Her scribe-tines chitter and whirr as she scratches out writing on the roll of parchment in front of her, but she makes no move to greet the Acolytes; in fact, she doesn't appear to have noticed you're here.

---

getting close to psykercells gains you nothing but trouble; getting into them is a heist mission in itself. so i'm gonna assume you don't try and B&E for now.

instead, have some in-character knowledge of what psyker holding facilities in Remonstrance are like, because you're sat round a table with a bunch of people who organise it. some of this probably comes under Common Lore: Psykers and stuff, but it's all stuff the party as a whole would know so i am short-circuiting this process of knowledge-dumping.



anyway, next bit. if it particularly matters, here's the office layout - red dots are you, green dot is cizneros at her desk. i just don't know how to describe this shape other than "four squares around a central stack with big arches in between"



guards are literally right outside. the door's thick and all but i don't know if you feel comfortable assuming you can have a private conversation without some form of external assurance!

Gamma: those teeth are pretty grim, here is more text to fill up the spoiler box
Bulworth, Eadian: you're pretty sure that isn't Cizneros' voice coming over the intercom. it's a really good approximation, though, and seems to have fooled the others. also my initial roll on orokos was 6 x 100s on 6d100, which i am convinced has to be a glitch so i rerolled. 2spoopy4me.
Aperta, Ignatius: as you step into the office, it takes you about fifteen seconds to come to the realisation that Cizneros isn't actually breathing - and her scribe-tines may be scurrying away, but she's making the same movement each time and she isn't moving her hand across the parchment. you may wish to flag this as a concern.

anyway here is your target. go say hello. maybe she can help you work out what the hell's going on

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
Cizneros' chambers
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


Ignatius' sensitivies were momentarily jangled. On board an enormous, luxuriously appointed voidship, there were plenty of rooms and chambers with a lot of... well, stuff, for lack of a better term. But, it was generally well-organized, and almost always secured in some way, sometimes very cleverly. Leaving loose items around unattended has been selected against among voidborn for so many thousands of years that it's practically instinct to put things away when you're done with them.

So Cizneros' chamber was shocking. Ignatius had to consciously remind himself that he was not on board a voidship, but rather, stuck to the surface of a planet, where sudden unannounced acceleration was a lot less likely.

Probably that's why it took him a full quarter of a minute to realize that something was definitely wrong with "Cizneros." The... automaton, or puppet, or thing that was hunched over the desk in the room with them was not breathing, nor was it actually writing anything of meaning, yet it was clearly intended to give that impression. He pulled his eyes away and scanned the room, flicking his eyes over as much of the detail as he could, looking for the telltale glint of a camera's lens. If she was in the building at all, she was probably watching them, gauging their reaction. Perhaps she had already seen through their ruse, or at least suspected, and was taking precautions before allowing herself to be alone in their presence. Or, equally possible, Adept Cizneros was running her own game of some kind?

The immediate question was whether it would be to their best advantage to play along, and act surprised when the ruse was revealed. Perhaps not. There likely wasn't time to consult with the others... some of them, particularly Gamma and Aperta, might have already spotted the problem, but Ignatius couldn't be sure. OK. A naval delegation could be expected to be competent, so... when in doubt, project competence.

"She's not here," Ignatius announced out loud. "That's just some sort of automaton. Cizneros? Are you listening? If you don't have time to meet with us now, we understand. We'll return whenever it will be more convenient for you."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



ignatius blows a scrutiny roll to check for cameras; this does not mean there are any, it just means you don't know. aperta would be able to use Tech Use instead if he fancies, to sense 'em using spoopy mechanicus electrosenses, and would also be able to check the figure at the desk to see if it's broadcasting. other PCs can of course look for cameras on their own, peep the figure at the desk themselves, or start casually rifling through cupboards looking for small change to steal.

guards are still outside, and will have been confused by the announcement, but won't poke their heads in unless summoned or unless they think they need to stop any violence; this will only really happen by them judging noises, so if you knock over a bookcase or something, expect some friendly assistance

gonna assume that by the end of the first thirty seconds you're all within the room and away from the door (i.e. out of casual eavesdropping range from outside), but i won't track position unless you think it's important

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Skaven spotted!


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Chambers


This is wrong. Immediately after the door closes behind the cell Aperta immediately recognizes the sight of a malfunctioning servitor, mind-locked into repeating it's last command endlessly.

<Cogitatio: Full-spectrum auspex scan, wide sweep.> He orders in binaric as he walks through the cluttered office towards the hunched figure of 'Cizneros'. He reaches out and touches the figure on the shoulder, completely oblivious to any potential social faux-pas, and pulls back its hood to better study the servitor and diagnose the fault in it's machine-spirit.

____________________

Aperta doesn't think this is a person, so he's not going to treat it like one. Probable hilarity to ensue?!

Tech-Use +10 to Auspex the room and identify anything out of the ordinary; security features, irregularities in the walls, potential hidden compartments or tunnels, things of that nature.

Logic +10 to determine whats up with 'Cizneros', if that even is her real name.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
Cizneros' Chambers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcrb6365GsQ

Judging by everyone else's reaction, I wasn't the only one who noticed something was up with the dame. Once the door closed behind us, I look for the switch to turn the electrolanterns on. I speak up, "That wasn't Cizneros on the vox just now, expect anything." Once the room was no longer illuminated solely by the sickly glow of cogitator screens I do a tactical sweep of the room, to make sure we're not walking into an ambush.

Assuming this was her stuff, then Cizneros was crazy all right. Schematics and drawings are pinned up all over the empty space on the walls filling the voids of the walls as well as the ones in her soul. I catch the whiff of old stale meals in foamboard containers, no doubt old fast food that has yet to be thrown out. Should this be legit, we would be dealing with someone who has long scorned human interaction.

Should this not be legit, we're in for a world of trouble.

My thoughts turn to the shotgun nestled in my coat, loaded with amputators, ready at the first sign of trouble. My sense of dread turning my throat into a knot.

------
Turning on the lights, then doing a tactical sweep around the other chambers.

Edit: Now using a song I haven't already used.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2016 around 19:05

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Chimærism
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGAF2_00eM

Aperta is the first one forward. Having drawn much the same conclusion as Ignatius, he clomps through the gloomy office, skull buzzing behind him as it charges up its auspex-pulse routines. He reaches out a spindly arm to Cizneros' shoulder and twitches back the hood, spinning the figure in the chair around to face the party. He isn't entirely wrong regarding the source of the spasmodic arm-jerking. The mind-locked repetition is indeed due to the tines endlessly repeating the last comprehensible mental diktat received from their owner. However, the Techpriest is a little off on his diagnosis of the root cause of the problem.

Slumped back in the chair is no servitor or puppet; Cizneros herself sits there, tines thrashing and meshing their way through her final word, again and again. Her boots remain unspattered; robes unmarred, scrollwork on her books of office grubby yet resolutely mundane. Lank red hair continues to spill over the shoulders, but as the eye travels up the neck it will see red welts, bruising and oozing puncture wounds. The mouth, frozen in a rictus of horror, and the nose, eyes, forehead, glittering enhancement circuitry - all missing; all scooped out. With queasy detachment, Aperta can see that there is no scrap of grey matter remaining in the cavern of her skull - whatever took Cisneros' brain and the attached bionics has done so with a surgeon's touch.

Cursing, Bulworth slams on the lights - many are burnt out through disuse, and shadows continue to shroud parts of the room - just as Aperta's auspex readings come through, dialled down to the room and surrounding environs. Minor smatterings of life from the fish tanks - warmth from the corpse of Cisneros - two guards outside, six party members on the inside - and a curious, amorphous reading. One, two? It's hard to tell, and it's also hard to tell exactly where it is. The Acolytes ready themselves and spread out as Bulworth begins to sweep the room, face cold.

Wherever - whatever - it is, it's close.


cisneros slumps in the red chair

----

"she's a robot", they said. "it's a servitor", they said.

aperta totally switches the gently caress on out of his auspex successfully, and scrapes by on a +10 Logic check to realise gawsh, brain's gone, and whoever took the brain wants it intact!!

this is pretty vile (trigger warning: n'wah) but i ain't gonna make you do fear rolls against it because at this stage it literally adds nothing to the game to give you -10 penalties to stuff if you fail. so please RP appropriate disgust etc if you like, but no need to fall down gibbering.

place yourselves on the map please. you got two full rounds before bulworth finishes his sweep; fill your hands or examine stuff (corpse, desk, shelves, anything that you think might be relevant) or do other stuff. i don't know. i'm not your mom.

joining bulworth in the sweep guarantees that you will not be Surprised by any following events, but precludes you from doing anything else. mind you, there might not be a Surprise; it might just be cisneros' friendly, radar-shielded dogs napping in a bookcase

oh yeah and i probably don't need to say it but this is not a failure state

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Skaven spotted!


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Chambers


Aperta has difficulty processing what he is seeing for a moment, but he quickly recovers and takes a shocked step back. But there's no time for petty emotions such as fear; he won't allow himself to panic again. His augmented renal systems release a small dosage of benzodiazepine to calm his mind and allow him to think logically.

"Please remain calm, do not alert the guards, we must be discrete for the moment. We must find everything of relevance that we can." He urges the other acolytes in a low voice as he leans over the late adept's desk and begins to access her cogitator. With a mental command Cogitatio searches and interfaces with a data-port, and begins to attempt a full data-download. Whatever Cisneros was working on during her death may be vital information, and time is likely short.

"Do be advised", Aperta says a moment later, absentmindedly, "that my auspex show unusual infrared patterns in the room. I do not believe we are entirely alone."

_________________________________

Security +10 to access Cisneros' computer and Tech-Use +10 to find and store anything useful I find.

Put me at K9

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


An In-Character post will go here later. For the minute assume I'm circling the room clockwise from b6 circling north and continuing until I find something worth stopping to inspect and/or is trying to kill me. If I find neither of those, assume I circle until I reach H8.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'

It doesn't take a psyker to realize that something is terribly awry here. Gamma contains her stomach full of finger-food with a visible effort and stands next to Aperta as he works. Her own investigation is less technical but no less thorough, although the first thing she does is look at the paper output from the (deceased?) adept's mechanical fingers - the last word of the (dead?) woman might be important. Her pistol is already in her hand by the time the tech-priest is finished mentioning the infra-red signatures and she focuses to open her own senses up to the Warp, hoping to reveal the observers or whatever information can be gleaned from the room.

Standing at K10, activating Warp Perception and using Psyniscience/Awareness to find clues or enemies. Quick-drawing las-pistol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
Cizneros' chambers
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


"Ah," Ignatius sort of half-sighs, as Aperta turns Cizneros' body in her chair and he catches sight of the gaping empty place where her brain should be. "Emperor" he swears, more reflexively than out of genuine piety.

Bulworth was already sweeping the room, Gamma was doing... her... thing, whatever it was that involved, and Max could be counted on to have his weapons out by now, although Ignatius didn't spare a glance to make sure. He pulled out his fancy new handgun, the unfamiliar grip warm from his body heat in his cold hand, and took a few more steps into the interior of the room, his back to a bulkhead. Wall. It was a wall.

"Try not to disturb her much," Ignatius hissed in Aperta's general direction, as his eyes scan the murky room. "We do not want to get blamed for this."

Ignatius moves to i 12, facing "north," readies his new laser gun, and then scans the immediate area for clues. Like, drips of blood on the floor, or footprints in the dust, or perhaps a carelessly dropped Mk XVIII Brain Extractor Tool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Chimærism, cont.
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance




Gamma peers at the shredded parchment stretched out over the ex-Adept's desk. The tines operate via an act of concentration - kind of like subvocalisation, but of the arm - and allow for consistent calligraphy at essentially the speed of thought. They have blotted and ripped the document through rote repetition. The state of the paper is perhaps irrelevant, though, as her final word is now helpfully carved into the hard oak of her desk. It doesn't seem to follow on from the preceding words in any particularly discernible fashion - Cizneros was halfway through composing a work order for a particular rockcrete composition when she felt compelled to scribble it down.

kaolinite clay from Destrier deposits to be used as base substrate due to its hi

              OMPHALOS


Not only does it not make any sense as part of the rockcrete order, it's halfway down and off the page. There's two major implications from this - firstly, the body was posed deliberately back over the desk, but not with any great care. Probably in a rush, by an agent unaware that Cizneros' tines would continue to scribble. Secondly, it seems this word was important enough for Cizneros to convey that she chose it over, say, a name, or a motive, or anything immediately and obviously useful, as the last thing before expiring, to send to her tine routines in the hope that it would be passed on.

Gamma's got no idea what it's supposed to be getting at, though. She has more pressing concerns - there's been a subtle itching at the back of her skull for some time that she's just realised isn't a result of the anti-psyker wards elsewhere in the manse. Concentrating, a twist of perspective sends Empyrean spoor flooding into her mind. Close, and horrible, and closing in from all sides. It feels as though it were human, once, and now is something both less and more. It's tainted, but it's no daemon. It's something else. And it's in this room, and the bruised and fraying strands of causality dancing at the edge of perception indicate that it hasn't entered through any conventional means. It's... there. Two of them. Wait, is it two?

Ignatius, not yet burdened with this horrible knowledge, focuses on the mundane world as he backs himself against a wall, treading carefully to avoid disturbing the scene more than necessary. The floor looks a bit muddy, weirdly; he wouldn't have pegged Cizneros as a particularly outdoorsy type. There's no blood spray, and the Adept's robes remain mostly unsullied - obviously there's been a bit of... oozing, but it doesn't look like a particularly violent extraction. It must have been performed when the Adept was either sedated, or dead - a closer examination of the body would probably indicate this, but judging from the way Bulworth and Gamma are reacting, there may be more immediate matters to deal with.

---

gamma, having failed like three Warp Sense auto-checks, finally gets a break on the psyniscience rolls with 3DoS. awareness is a total bust however. warp perception goes off perfectly, will basically ensure you can't be Surprised, and may have other benefits if you maintain it. you're performing the Focus check in the same half-round that Bulworth finds something, so you get the location at the same time as everybody else.

omphalos is a multi-layered concept, but gamma ain't got a fuckin' clue about it.

ignatius peeps the floor, etc. not a particularly great roll with 3DoF against a TN of +0 Per, so he only sees the really obvious stuff that a +30 TN would get him, i.e. no big blood spray. you can probably do some proper CSI examination a bit later, unless party choices dictate otherwise; fifteen minutes is actually quite a long time for a team of acolytes

i'm being deliberately cagey with revealing exactly what's in here and where it is, because not everyone's posted their position yet

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwtCEtnm6g
Max Flightmaster
Max draws his silenced shotgun to the fore as he walks around Cizneros's room. He's looking around to see if anything's been disturbed or looted in the top half of the chamber but his main goal is providing security. "Well gently caress."

Put Max at K2 to start, walking down on his patrol route hugging the north end of the wall to A6 he will activate his stummer to make sure people can move about and check things out. He's looking to see if anywhere in the room has been disturbed, anything looted, whilst providing security for the rest of the party.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE


Eadian Valarius

Life sucks, i will replace this with relevant material later. Assume for now that i follow Bullworth to I8 watching his back etc. If theres anything i can help with I'll post in a bit

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Chimærism, cont.
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1Fd1_Wqw0

When a Mechanicus sees an unattended computer, it's really only a matter of time before they start poking around and probing at it. Aperta is no exception; attempting to put the creeping certainty that something is very wrong out of his mind, he interfaces with Cizneros' cogitator-stack to see if he can pull up any indication of what on earth's happened in this office - maybe security footage or something? In any case, the holes in the access-mesh are gaping, and he swiftly slips through the initial gateways. It is only when he attempts to grab a datastack flagged with "NO UNAUTHORISED ACCESS" that he realises he's fallen into a not-particularly-subtle honeypot trap; the data's garbage, and the tech-adept pulls back just in time to avoid having his mind savaged by vengeful network machine-spirits. He draws in a ragged breath through his ventilator grille, hoping that Cizneros was paranoid enough to install her own traps rather than relying on Deculon security.

Max assists in a sweep of the room, stummer thrumming and shotgun at the ready. The sound-dampening effect of the stummer is a curious technological marvel - the field it produces has the curious effect of dampening any sound over a certain threshold. Quiet conversation isn't impacted at all; louder noises get muffled down to comfortable levels. With a thick door and thicker wall between the room and the guards outside, they'll have to be very lucky to detect any sounds from outside the room that emanate from within the stummer's area of effect.

In the meantime, the Voidmaster examines his surroundings as he prowls. Nothing appears to have been looted from the room - there's no conspicuous circles in the dust, there's no paperwork that looks out-of-place. It looks like the only thing taken was from within the cranium of the Adept; in fairness, that was probably the most valuable thing in the room. He does, however, spot some curious watery footprints emerging from the northern part of the room (round about F0). They're faint - maybe an hour old, in this heat? - there's two sets, and they're far more truncated than a normal foot or boot would produce - strangely rounded. They're also only heading in one direction - towards Cizneros' desk - and Max is drat sure there's no hidden door there; no space for the hinges, no scrapes on the floor. About the only thing he can think of is that this section of the room would have been shrouded in darkness before Bulworth hit the lights.

Further examination is precluded. As Bulworth, Max and Eadian's patrols converge on the northern wall of the office...

----

Chimærism, cont.
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juoac-P9iM8

... a pair of undulating horrors emerge from the shadows, twitching bonelessly.



Grey-green and rubbery, with great hunting tentacles hanging down to what passes for their knees, the monstrous bipeds totter towards the cell. At first glance it appears the creatures have grotesquely misshapen backs, but once the humps start moving, that illusion is swiftly dispelled. Smaller, malformed creatures dwell on their backs; wizened, corrupted creatures, barely recognisable as having once been marginally human; lower bodies merging brutally with that of their hosts, torsos and arms free to twitch and flail.



The sheer abhorrence of the situation takes a second to sink in, before it strikes the cell full force...



---

well

so i didn't notice this earlier, but aperta completely fucks up the Security test to get into the computer, with a rousing 98 giving 5DoF. you can fate point this if you like, but even if you do, you're not going to get anything done in 12 seconds. it's a minute minus 10s per DoS

you currently don't know whether this is a networked device - i.e. has it alerted anyone to your failure? - or if it's a personal one.

max stums, explores, and gets 4DoS on an Awareness check. maybe this should be scrutiny, as it's deliberate, but my take is that you're looking for out-of-place things in an environment rather than studying a single object - and you don't know what you're looking for - so Awareness it is. you find very faint watery footprints!


anyway, hello, meet Octodads. they popped out of the shadows in E10 and F10 - they literally popped out of the shadows, it's not stealth or decloaking. OOC, these guys are sort of an Ourybia version of mandrakes crossed with deep-sea squid. they come with little gruesome half-parasitic monkeys on their backs; these are very clearly not natural. your patrolling means you're facing them, not surprised, and with guns in hand.

so the whole package have Fear (1), meaning you guys need to take WP tests to not get shocked; naturally, you all gently caress up really badly (typo'd Fear 2 in there, which woulda been even worse). you then get shock rolls. impact from the tests is as follows:

  • aperta scores 5DoF; rolls 13 + 40 on the Shock table; he cannot approach the squid and gets -10 to tests until the end of the encounter
  • bulworth scores 5DoF; rolls 87 + 40 on the shock table; he drops everything, vomits uncontrollably for 3 rounds, and can only take half-actions until the end of the encounter
  • eadian scores 6DoF; rolls 61 + 50 on the shock table; he faints for 3 rounds and will take -10 to tests once he wakes up
  • gamma scores 1DoF; rolls 47 on the shock table; she cannot approach the squid and gets -10 to tests until the end of the encounter
  • ignatius gets 3DoS on his initial WP test lmao
  • max gets, uh, 8DoF; rolls 61 + 70 on the shock table; he frenzies until he can snap out of it, attacking randomly

i, uh, might stop the update here to allow you to spend Fate points because the rolls have been terrible. if things still go really badly after rerolls, i will let you buy off degrees of failure at 1 insanity point per DoF - e.g. Max could take 8 insanity to pass his fear test.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2016 around 12:45

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'

yeah gamma will spend fate to not gently caress that up

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2016 around 12:45

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



you sure? buying a single insanity point means you pass the WP test, whereas if you fate it you've basically got a 50% chance of rolling again on the shock table, and at least a 50% chance of making things worse if you do so.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


I'm fate pointing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



bulworth reroll is 1DoF on the willpower test and a 26 on the Shock table, translating into -10 to tests until you pass a +0 WP test, taken as a free action each round from the start of your next turn - not your first one

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


That's actually pretty reasonable and not an obnoxious penalty. I'll stick with it and not soak it with IP

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


Fatepoint in hopes of a better result then buy off with insanity points.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Skaven spotted!


Im officially good with my result. I'll manage.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



max's second attempt is better, but... not much better. 68 on WP, meaning 4DoF. shock roll of 71 + 40 = 111, meaning faint for 4 rounds, -10 to actions until the end of the encounter. 4 Insanity to buy out

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

max's second attempt is better, but... not much better. 68 on WP, meaning 4DoF. shock roll of 71 + 40 = 111, meaning faint for 4 rounds, -10 to actions until the end of the encounter. 4 Insanity to buy out

Paid in full.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


Max Flightmaster
Max holds position, thumbing the stummer off and waiting for one of the freaks to make its move.

Max will Delay Action: Semi Auto Burst on the first creature to move towards the cell once they are within 2m or less. Range should be pointblank so TN 80 with a damage code of 1d10+7 for Point Blank and an additional DoS because of Close Quarters Discipline. As a free action, turn off the stummer. If sure kill will tip the damage and ensure a one round kill, spend a fate point to boost that first hit as much as possible with DoS on the result.

ALTERNATE ACTION IF THEY DON'T MOVE THE WAY I WANT: Just loving shoot them lmao.


pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
35  40  30  30  40  40  40  30  20

Wounds: 8/8   Fate: 2/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 3 [Arms/Body]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Medicae: 40[50] (Medikit)
Security: 40[70] (Multikey)
Stealth: 40
Tech-Use: 40

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Combat Shotgun 30m S/3/- 1d10+4[7] I Pen: 0 Clip: 24/27 Rld: Half Special: Scatter, Silenced
Chainsword 1d10+5 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing

Special Abilities
Close Quarters Discipline: An Imperial Navy character scores one additional degree of success on successful Ballistic Skill 
tests he makes against targets at Point-Blank range, at Short range, and with whom he is engaged in melee.
Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, 
and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items
Sure Kill: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, when an Assassin successfully hits with an attack, he may spend a Fate point to 
inflict additional damage equal to his degrees of success on the attack roll on the first hit the attack inflicts

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 21:57

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

you sure? buying a single insanity point means you pass the WP test, whereas if you fate it you've basically got a 50% chance of rolling again on the shock table, and at least a 50% chance of making things worse if you do so.

Yeah actually one insanity sounds way better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007




Hell Gem

Ignatius Malbau
Cizneros' chambers
Inland Noble Quarters
Port Remonstrance


Horrifying monsters emerge from shadows, where they definitely were not before. But, despite the mind-bendingly terrible visages before him, Ignatius... well, was pretty much expecting this and already mentally prepared for it.

The puzzle pieces were not that hard to assemble, really. The murders Iseppo had talked about. The state of the body he and Max had investigated. The terrible, unknowable depths of planetary oceans, which every voidborn knows are certain to harbor all sorts of hosed up creatures that had no business existing.

And anyway, Ignatius has seen some poo poo. Mostly Xenos poo poo, and these guys... well, probably not Xenos, but it's basically the same broad category of horrible sort-of-human monster poo poo. He can handle it.

So while his compatriots were variously recoiling in shock, keeling over in fright, retching in disgust, etc. etc., Ignatius gets his rear end in gear looking for a clear shot and discovering whether these tentacle bastards from the deep are immune to lasers.

Moving to somewhere in the vicinity of i6. If allies block LOS and if all of the blocking allies between Ignatius and the bad guys are still standing, then keep moving to (in order of preference) j6, i5, k6, h4, h3. If Ignatius arrives in a square where he has a shot with still a half action left, shoot; otherwise, he'll shoot next round. Single aimed shot.

pre:
WS: 30 BS: 30 S: 25 T: 30 Ag: 30 Int: 35 Per: 30 WP: 30 Fel: 40 Inf: 41
Wounds: 12 Fate: 4/4 Insanity: 0 Corruption: 0
Compact Autopistol - Pistol / 15m / s/-/6 / 1d10+1 I / pen0 / clip9 / reload full / 0.75kg
Shock Maul - Melee / 1d10 + 3 E / pen0 / Shocking
"Caecus" Pistol / 30m / S/2/- / 1d10+2E / pen 0 / clip30 / reload half / Reliable Stealthy +10 hit aimed standard +5 hit custom grip
Stiletto dagger - Melee / 1d5 R + SB
Mesh Cloak: Head 0 Arms 4 Torso 4 Legs 4
Double Team: +10 on melee attacks where you outnumber opponents. If other friendly has DT, +20.
Sway the Masses: may spend Fate to auto succeed at Charm, Command, or Intimidate with degrees equal to WP bonus
Breeding Counts: When highborn char would reduce my Inf, reduce by 1 less (to min reduction of 1)
Inured to the Xenos: +10 to Fear test caused by aliens and a +20 Interaction skill test with aliens
Scrutiny (Per) Commerce (Int) Common Lore (Rogue Traders, Imp Navy) (Int) Linguistics - Orks (Int) Trade - Chymist (Int)
Operate - Aeronautica (Ag) Charm (Fel) Deceive (Fel) Inquiry (Fel) Medicae (Int) Tech-Use (Int) Interrogate (WP)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2016 around 05:14

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Chimærism, cont.
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


For the most part, the cell cope admirably with the sudden mental shock of having monsters loom out of the shadows at them. Ignatius, jaded as ever, simply shrugs off the sight - it doesn't matter what they are, he's got a situation to handle. Gamma and Max clamp down on their disquiet, repressing their horror for the moment. There will no doubt be night terrors afterwards, but for now, survival seems paramount.

Aperta, already shaken from his ICE encounter on Cizneros' computer, is badly startled and cannot bring himself to approach them. Eadian, bringing his usual combat expertise to the table, faints dead away, weapon still clutched in nerveless hands. Bulworth, on point, quails slightly before the creatures in front of him; he is, however, the first to make a move...



revised init table, following Max FP, is below:



----

map is as per previous post. initiative table is via the magic of excel, RANDBETWEEN, and holding down "delete" to shuffle the stats while muttering "eeny meeny miny mo". condolences, Max.

makeshift names - as you don't know what these things are - are Hunters and Seekers. Hunters are squids; Seekers are backmonkeys. attacking Seekers is either a Called Shot or a body shot from behind a Hunter; i'll arbitrate that.

OOC stuff, these guys can, if pushed, flit from shadow to shadow. one of the more irritating Mandrake abilities is basically the chance to re-stealth during combat. i am toning this down a bit because i don't particularly want to deny players actions in PBP, but i will want alternative backup actions if your preferred plan is contingent on enemy movement. use common sense, but yeah, i want to keep this flowing rather than wait for mulligans

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2016 around 20:14

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



'Gamma'

Gamma slips past Aperta to get in a better position to fire, keeping her unnatural senses extended in case the enemy have further surprises in store. The strain of processing the information is a sufficient distraction that she doesn't pull the trigger.

Move to K6, Maintain Warp Perception, Pysniscience as a free action

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics
WS: 25   T:   45   Per: 40
BS: 25   AG:  40   WP:  50
S:  20   Int: 45   Fel: 25

Wounds: 11/11        Armour: 3 - Torso, Arms, Legs       Fate: 4/4

Weapons:
Laspistol - Range: 30m | RoF: S/2/- | Damage: 1d10+2 E | Pen: 0 | Clip: 30/30 | Reload: Half | Reliable
(Red Dot Sight, Modified Stock)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2016 around 23:08

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


Spend a fate to count as 10 for init lol i'm not letting these freaks get up on MAX FLIGHTMASTER

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


I'm in point blank to that one directly north of me, correct?

Also, is the future calamari larger than standard humanoid size w/r/t hit bonuses and/or stealth penalties?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2016 around 03:39

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMf-kDeAYCY
Cisneros' Office

Somehow I expected our assailants to be a little more, well, human. I can feel my hands tremble as I pull my guns out and unleash the fury at them. At this range there was basically no way I could miss.

----------

Quick draw sawed off and autopistol. Half action aim half action UNLOAD LIKE WHOA into closest squidmonkey. Shotgun is +30 point blank +10 scatter +10 half action aim, +10 single shot -10 fear -10 SQUID -10 Dual Wield. Autopistol is +30 point blank +10 half action aim +0 motion predicted full auto -10 fear -10 SQUID - 10 Dual wield

Rolled a 1 for the shotgun, 57 for the autopistol so hit on the shotgun and a miss on the AP.
Whoops let's fate point that autopistol: Reroll comes up 26, 3 degrees of success = 3 hits. I have 1 fate point left

Edit: Adjusted attack, single shot on the shotgun only when 1 handing it.


pre:
Wounds: 10/10      AP:5 All
Fate: 1/3          TB:4

WS:   25       
BS:   45       
S:    25       
T:    40     
Ag:   40     
Int:  25     
Per:  38       
WP:   30     
Fel:  30     

Skills: Acrobatics, Awareness, Dodge, Stealth

Talents: Ambidextrous, Catfall, Quickdraw, Two Weapon Wielder (ballistic), Weapon Training (SP)

Weapons:
Stub Automatic w/ Silencer
(Pistol | 30m | S/3/- | 1d10+3 I | Pen 0 | Clip 9/9 ) 

Autopistol w/ Motion Predictor
(Pistol | 30m | S/-/6 | 1d10+2 I | Pen 0 | Clip 18/18 | +10 BS to full auto ) 

Sawed off shotgun W/ Amputator shells
(Pistol | 20m | S/2/- | 1d10+6 | pen 0 | Clip 2/2  | Scatter, Ammo 6)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2016 around 01:27

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Pytalism
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFDOOTX_7WQ

With blinding speed, Bulworth and Max open up on the closest creature. Sometimes, an Acolyte must make a decision in a split-second on whether words or weapons will be the tool of choice; this is not one of those times.

Max snaps the breaker on his stummer into the "off" position, and, hands shaking from the effort of keeping it together when faced with horrors from beyond, nearly flubs his initial salvo - tricky as it is to see in the dark, he nearly guns down an ornamental bookshelf. His targeted creature flinches at an inopportune moment, however, and spasms directly into the Voidmaster's line of fire, taking a grazing hit to the tentacle and a solid blast to the chest. Black blood patters to the ground as the creature hisses, but nowhere near as much as Max would like to see - it seems these things might be tougher than they look, and that their rubbery bodies can absorb worrying amounts of punishment.

Bulworth's having trouble looking directly at the monster before him, and as waves of acrid, putrid sea-flesh scent assail him, the bile rises in his throat. Still, he keeps both arms trained on centre mass and lets fly a devastating hail of lead - the creature's outstretched tentacle is nearly torn off by the submunitions of his shotgun's amputator round, and, thrown off-balance by this, it can't defend against the jagged burst of automatic fire sprayed into its torso. Unnatural musculature is shredded by the whistling rounds, and its bony torso plate - bones, in a squid? - snaps with an audible crack. The creature staggers back under the weight of fire, slamming its head into the wall and collapsing into a writhing, undulating pile. Its parasitic companion thrashes feebly under its weight, contorted as it is.

The Seeker, having twisted on the way down to at least allow some freedom of movement, extends both of its stubby arms towards Bulworth and twitches, balefully...



---

wooooop woop woop woop woop woop woop

sweeping the room in these numbers means the squid couldn't have just snuck up on you, which is why they've popped up pretty much in front of you at point-blank. the idiots.

so on reflection, max can just aim-shoot at point blank if we're using 3m and square LOS. TN for this is 80 - it's BS (40) + 30 (PB) + 10 (Scatter) + 10 (Aim) - 10 (shadow). the hit roll is pretty dire, with an 83 vs TN 80, which, given that you've said you wanna use a fate point to cause as much damage as possible, i'm gonna re-roll.

fate spent. second attempt is a much more reasonable 63, for 4DoS including the CQD bonus one. that's two hits total - initial DoS, then a bonus for the next 2 additional DoS. squiddie fails his dodge, and takes some middling damage rolls

bulworth gets a pretty horrific hit with the shotgun (17 damage!), and some fairly decent damage on the autopistol as well. some pretty funny rolls for the hit locations (i mean, what were the chances?) indicate a tentacle and two body shots - creature is brought to Crit 1, 4, and then 6 as the shots hit home. at this point i realise forgot that the squid has Step Aside so rather than potentially rerolling stuff, i'll just let it slide. squid takes 4 Toughness damage, and 4 levels of fatigue, falls backwards Prone, and is stunned for 2 rounds. backmonkey is targetable but any leg shots and half the body shots against it will hit the squid.

seeker #2 (backmonkey of the fallen squid) is sort of limited in possible actions. he uses a Guarded Action just 'cause and then does something weird. try and guess what it is from the fact that i'm about to put spoilers to gamma!

gamma: it's a psychic shriek; silent in the real world, deafening in the Immaterium, it's just focused it at Bulworth. it's been done at Psy Rating 1 but that's because the creature's in a lot of pain and is exhausted; on top form, it's probably slightly more powerful than you (PR3)
bulworth: you've just had a deafening silent scream targeted at you by the seeker. it's not managed to actually do any damage after toughness and armour (lmao why does armour stop it) but it has concussed you. given the -10 penalty to stats, i make that 3DoF, which would ordinarily mean you either spend fate or sit out the rest of combat. that's not very fun so instead it has Crippled you with Crippling (1 FATIGUE). if you take more than a half-action per round you suffer 1 level of fatigue - remember DH2 fatigue is a lot more forgiving than previous versions, and has no effect until your fatigue levels hit your characteristic bonuses.

now i guess we wait for aperta to make a post

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Skaven spotted!


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Office - Calamari Confrontation


Aperta can't quite control his fear an revulsion as he makes a prayer to the Omnissiah to save him from whatever profane and unclean monster's stand before him. But his surprise passes quickly and logic reassert itself when Max and Bulworth fire upon the creatures. With a mental command Cogitatio enters its compact state, its jaw opening and emitting a ghostly blue glow.

The techpriest's vision is replaced with steaming pic-feed from his familiar's sensors, angles of attack, battlefield conditions, and other bits of targeting data coalesce as he focuses his skull's optics on the monster that slumps to the ground. Best to finish the thing off now rather than allow it a chance to escape or retaliate.

Cogitatio chirps when it confirms a full lock on its target and a moment later the room fills with a strobe of cold blue light as it fires a roiling blast of plasma at the beast.

____________________

Shooting at the Seeker on the squid that is in critical condition, so it either hits the Seeker or hopefully finishes off the squid for good.

BS 35 + 20 (Full Action Aim) + 4 (Modified Stock) + 10 (Close Range) + 10 (Standard Attack) + 10 (Red-Dot Sight) - 10 (Squidly-diddly) = TN 79

I'll fate point if I miss.

pre:
[i]Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics
WS: 25   T:   40   Per: 35
BS: 35   AG:  35   WP:  40
S:  20   Int: 40   Fel: 25

Wounds: 10/10        Armour: 4 - All       Fate: 3/3

Weapons:
  • Compact Plasma Gun* - Basic | Range: 45m | RoF: S/2/- | Damage: 1d10+6 E | Pen: 6 | Clip: 28/30 | Reload: 5Full | Maximal, Overheats
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 5/5 | Reload: 2Full
Plasma Gun: +10 BS when making a single attack (Red-Dot Sight) +2 BS when taking half-action Aim, +4 BS when taking full-action Aim (Modified Stock) -20 to attempts to discover weapon

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003



Pytalism, cont.
Cizneros' Office
Port Remonstrance


Aperta resolves a firing solution against the smaller creature embedded in the back of the larger being, but his desperation to see the monsters in front of him good and dead means he doesn't quite get his target. He fires slightly too early, and the superheated blast of gas from his Cogitatio-mounted plasma system rips into the unconscious form of the Hunter piled in the corner, flash-frying it and filling the room with an unnerving, sweet smell before the corpse ignites and consumes itself in creeping, reddish flames. Badly burnt, the smaller creature drags itself from the charcoaled form, trailing tendrils of flesh and reddish strands behind itself as it backs further into the corner.

The remaining hunter, having watched its colleague be torn apart in a hail of concentrated fire, flutes and burbles momentarily before stepping into a direction that doesn't exist. Fading from the shadows in the northern part of the room, it re-emerges to the south, by the door. Abyssal penumbrae still cling to it, rendering its form hazy and indistinct - but something seems wrong with its ability to focus, and only Bulworth and Ignatius are particularly affected by its defensive camouflage.

Ignatius whirls to face the creature and snaps off a shot at its rubbery form - it's a good one, and the x-ray laser - visible only as heat haze - silently burns a sizeable hole in an ornate wall hanging. The cephalopod-esque mutant managed to flatten itself on the ground with eerie, boneless grace a fraction of a second before taking the hit, and it rebounds upwards, flowing into an attack posture.

The second Seeker, clutching something in stubby arms, seems to simply throb and vibrate somewhat, making no move to attack. Gamma, overwhelmed by sensory input, staggers to the north to get a more comprehensive psychic view of the situation, while Eadian ponders the tactical situation...



Outside of the room, the guards are startled by the sudden sounds of gunfire. Maybe they'd better check things out...

---

aperta shoots Seeker2 - connects solidly, no FP needed. he clocks it on the leg, meaning the shot actually hits the Hunter instead - and it's Righteous Fury. hope you didn't have plans for that corpse, because it's charcoal now. Seeker #2 has taken a bit of damage from the disconnect, mostly skinned as burns from the plasma gun, and is not long for this world. still kicking, though.

hunter 2 does its watered-down Shadow Step - normally, mandrakes get a "haha i can do a once-per-round thing where if you fail an opposed stealth check you literally cannot shoot me" thing; for this, if you fail an opposed stealth check, you get a -20 "really shadowy" attack malus applied to ranged attacks until it melees someone. naturally it gets 3DoF on the thing it is specifically built to do, and only bulworth and ignatius get the malus.

Bulworth and Ignatius are at -20 to shoot the squid outside of melee, until it melees someone or shadowsteps again. this overwrites any existing "shadows" penalty

ignatius doesn't have to move to shoot anymore, and can't get anywhere that's outside of a spirited charge range anyway, so there's not much point. he can see squid #1 - half-aim, single-shot means TN is BS + 10 (aim) + 10 (single shot) + 10 (red-dot) + 5 (grip) + 10 (range) - 20 (shadow) = TN 55

he connects, righteous furies, but the squid dodges successfully

gamma: seeker #2 has just begun opening a long-range warp portal in the NW corner of the room, out of line-of-site. OOC, it's a bit like Gate of Infinity, but significantly toned down. still, if it manages to escape through it, you guys are going to be left with only a charcoal briquette and a brainless adept in the room

guards are surprised this round; they'll probably start getting concerned at the end of round 2. remember how they couldn't get through the door earlier?

round 2. it's actually been a bit of a rout for the mutants, mostly because of good rolls and wise tactics on the cell's part.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at Oct 23, 2016 around 16:55

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!


Max Flightmaster
Max continues to stand and deliver, firing on the monsters, desperately trying to kill them all quickly.

TN 80 with a damage code of 1d10+7 for Point Blank and an additional DoS because of Close Quarters Discipline

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
35  40  30  30  40  40  40  30  20

Wounds: 8/8   Fate: 1/4  Initiative: 1d10+4
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 3 [Arms/Body]
Acrobatics: 40
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 40
Medicae: 40[50] (Medikit)
Security: 40[70] (Multikey)
Stealth: 40
Tech-Use: 40

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Combat Shotgun 30m S/3/- 1d10+4[7] I Pen: 0 Clip: 21/27 Rld: Half Special: Scatter, Silenced
Chainsword 1d10+5 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing

Special Abilities
Close Quarters Discipline: An Imperial Navy character scores one additional degree of success on successful Ballistic Skill 
tests he makes against targets at Point-Blank range, at Short range, and with whom he is engaged in melee.
Rely on None but Yourself: A frontier world character gains a +20 bonus to Tech-Use tests when applying personal weapon modifications, 
and a +10 bonus when repairing damaged items
Sure Kill: In addition to the normal uses of Fate points, when an Assassin successfully hits with an attack, he may spend a Fate point to 
inflict additional damage equal to his degrees of success on the attack roll on the first hit the attack inflicts

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2017 around 21:57

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

Skaven spotted!


Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Office - Bringing Light To Shadow


The Techpriest cannot help but smile behind his breathing grille as he watches Cogitatio's plasma burst reduce the xeno-mutant to cinders. His mind is alight with battle-data, his blood is fire, his wrath is as furious as the stars, he-

Is getting distracted.

His auspex gives him worryingly contradictory information as the still-living creature slides into the shadows, but he quickly finds it again as it reappears on the other side of the office. Aperta doesn't move, but Cogitatio does whirl around to face it, the skull acting as a direct extension of the Magos' will. A quick bio-scan confirms his suspicions that the entity is actually two distinct but conjoined organisms. Curious. Aperta makes a snap decision to focus his next shot on the smaller, somehow more deformed being; it's erratic actions worry him, for the unknown is anathema to the Machine God.

Cogitatio quickly builds a plasma charge within its firing chamber but Aperta overrides the automated firing rights, allowing more and more power to build within. Cold blue light shines from every crack and gap in the servo-skulls outer casing, quickly growing brighter and brighter over just a few seconds. More and more warning icons fill the priest's vision, some of them even registering as minor phantom pains, but he dismisses them all as the firing chamber exceeds 200%... 250%...

At critical 300% Cogitatio unleashes an immense blast of plasma easily the size of itself. The ball of energy collides with the diminutive mutant with devastating explosive vaporizing force.

__________________________

Making a Called Shot to hit Seeker #2 in its ugly face with a Maximal shot.

BS 35 + 20 (Full Action Aim) + 10 (Close Range) + 10 (Red Dot Sight) + 4 (Modified Stock) - 20 (Called Shot) - 10 (Fear) - 10 (Shadows) = TN 39

Because the damage roll could be complicated because of the rerolls for Plasma (3) I rolled for myself to make it easier for you. I got a 23 To-Hit (and a 12 for a fate roll had I missed).

For damage I deal 2d10+6 Pen 8, rerolling any damage roll of 3 or less. I had Orokos roll ten times, taking the first two results over 3. Turns out that was unnecessary. I got a 3 for my Righteous Fury roll on the Critical Effect table.

Total Damage: 25 Wounds, Pen 8, Head Critical (Energy) 3


________________________

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics
WS: 25   T:   40   Per: 35
BS: 35   AG:  35   WP:  40
S:  20   Int: 40   Fel: 25

Wounds: 10/10        Armour: 4 - All       Fate: 3/3

Weapons:
  • Compact Plasma Gun* - Basic | Range: 45m | RoF: S/2/- | Damage: 1d10+6 E | Pen: 6 | Clip: 25/30 | Reload: 5Full | Maximal, Overheats, Plasma (1)
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 5/5 | Reload: 2Full
Plasma Gun: +10 BS when making a single attack (Red-Dot Sight) +2 BS when taking half-action Aim, +4 BS when taking full-action Aim (Modified Stock) -20 to attempts to discover weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.


Barry "The Bull" Bulworth
Cisneros' Office

One of the beasts had fallen and max was busy finishing up what remained of it's passenger, but my head was spinning and I felt woozy. No doubt some sort of trickery meant to incapacitate from the beast currently in the process of getting shotgunned in the face. I turned my attention to the one that vanished on the wind. I spin around to look for the beast only to find Eadian catatonic again. I take a harsh second to regard him poorly about his fugue fits before I spot motion in the far corner. Still wobbly and shaking, I elbow the catatonic nobleman in the ribs to clear my shot.

----------
WP roll to break the fear effect fails: http://orokos.com/roll/449066

Since Eadian is basically catatonic again, I'm going to try to shoot past him at the squid behind us. Just the shotgun this time. Also at these attack penalties.
32 vs 45 (45 +[10 close range] +10 [scatter] +10[single shot] +10 [half action aim] - 10 [fear] -20 [stealth] -10 [concussed]) for 2 degrees of success.
Location is the attack roll with the numbers reversed, so 23 puts it at the left arm.
Damage = Righeous fury, 16 damage with an extra crit 5 on top of that
If there was a way to spend a fate point to keep him from dodging that I would.
Taking a full action puts me at 2 fatigue now.

pre:
Wounds: 10/10      AP:5 All
Fate: 1/3          TB:4

WS:   25       
BS:   45       
S:    25       
T:    40     
Ag:   40     
Int:  25     
Per:  38       
WP:   30     
Fel:  30     

Skills: Acrobatics, Awareness, Dodge, Stealth

Talents: Ambidextrous, Catfall, Quickdraw, Two Weapon Wielder (ballistic), Weapon Training (SP)

Weapons:
Stub Automatic w/ Silencer
(Pistol | 30m | S/3/- | 1d10+3 I | Pen 0 | Clip 9/9 ) 

Autopistol w/ Motion Predictor
(Pistol | 30m | S/-/6 | 1d10+2 I | Pen 0 | Clip 12/18 | +10 BS to full auto ) 

Sawed off shotgun W/ Amputator shells
(Pistol | 20m | S/2/- | 1d10+6 | pen 0 | Clip 1/2  | Scatter, Ammo 6)

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at Oct 24, 2016 around 18:16

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«16 »