Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cargoship, "Ocean's Bounty"

12 hours ago

Without activating the deep-cogitation implants to access his stored memory banks, Aperta Ignavus, Magos Errant and technical liaison to the Adeptus Munitorum, could identify over 500 alloys that were either highly-resistant or outright immune to oxidation in salinated water, 35 of which could be made on planet. And yet despite this fact, so much of the Munitorum's equipment was not made out of any such materials and so tended to deteriorate exceptionally quickly in the humid, salty air. Take, for instance, the sea-faring vessel he stood within the bowels of that was meant to ferry 200,000 metric tonnes of local sea-life to be processed into protein-rations for the Astra Militarum elsewhere in the galaxy (the Munitorium caring not a whit that the Astra Telepathica's Black Ships were enroute, but that wasn't the Tech-Priest's problem). The captain of the ship had been neglectful of cleaning standing water left everywhere, causing catastrophic corrosion to countless parts of the ships equipment, particularly the sensitive cogitators that controlled the aquatic auspex systems and allowed it to navigate the tight channels and shoals without running aground. And this was but one ship of hundreds of thousands, while the number of Tech-Priests on planet in only in the order several thousand, most of them lowly adepts who had yet to even attain a rank of Engineseer. And so Aperta was left alone to direct the efforts of scores of laborers and servitors, just as he had been every day this week and on similar ships with similar problems since he had landed almost four months ago.

None of the Munitorium's overworked clerks on this island had remembered being approved for another Tech-Priest when he had arrived, but none of them had questioned it either. Orders were lost all the time, after all, even if the Munitorium was incapable of officially admitting it. According to the ancient Writ of Compliance drafted during the Great Crusade when the Imperium had rescued their fellow man stranded and alone in the universe, the Imperium was to be given 5% of all edible substances taken from the water to feed it's armies across the stars. They were falling behind, though, because their equipment was falling apart. Billions of tonnes of edible food was rotting in storage, ships were left orbiting empty in the sky with nothing to transport. Which is why they jumped at any skilled aid they could find without questioning.

Although directing work crews was his official task, and while it was one he devoted his body and a small portion of partitioned brain power towards, primarily he directed his personal familiar, Cogitatio, to conduct much needed repairs in between the tangled mess of wires, tubes, and piping that no normal human could possibly reach. Using a tight beam vox-link, Aperta turned the buzzing Servo Skull into an extension of his own body, seeing what it saw and directing it's minuscule tools that hung like ganglia beneath the base of it's skull like they were his own fingers. With a series of sharp, tinny cracks of ionized air the skull's laser-projector rapidly pulsed a weak, invisible beam of energy to solder repairs to a cogitator's primary data processing unit. Aperta unconsciously smiled behind his respirator grill at the impeccable handiwork. Gold would last far longer in these conditions than the copper and silver he was replacing.

Suddenly a long, low howl of an air horn signaled the end of shift for the unaugmented. Aperta would continue for another shift until another tech-priest would come to relieve him, and the servitors would continue longer still. Still, Aperta was not altogether unhappy with his task. Quite the opposite, in fact. The cargo hauler reminded him of the ship he had been created on, albeit only a tiny fraction of the size, and the tight corridors and unceasing roar and clang of cargo-lifters was a welcome familiarity on this damned planet. And 11 hours wasn't so long.

Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

The Present

Aperta curses the idiots who disgraced the priesthood of Mars. One of the Omnissiah's most holy aspects was that of time, and the fool sent to relieve him had been late! It was an affront to the Machine God! Normally this wouldn't bother the Magos Errant, but the messenger-skull he had received while waiting informed him of matters most urgent. And though technically his seconding to the Departmento Muniturom was merely a cover, Aperta still has pride in his work and couldn't have left the site unsupervised. The parts of his brain divorced of emotion also understand that maintaining said cover is also of high importance, but these thoughts are largely overshadowed by the righteous fury at the... the... sheer blasphemy of being delayed! And holy zeal is one of the few emotions Aperta still allows himself to experience unblunted by cyber-surgery or hormone controllers, at least for a time. Even his familiar is affected by his mood, Cogitatio's gravity-plates crackle with pent up energy and the barrel of its las-projector whirrs in and out like a camera trying to focus.

This planet's logic-damned climate does nothing to help the machine-cleric's mood. His crimson robes are of a light synthetic weave, hemmed in gold circuitry and cut short to leave his movements unobstructed as he works. His flak-armor, however, is heavy and the matte-finished nickel plating does nothing to battle the heat of the sun. But the armor is both a standard of office, the dull metal plates giving him a greater appearance of a machine, and a necessity in the dangerous environments he works in, be they work areas filled plasma torches, and kinetic hammers or the more clandestine areas his actual assignment take him to. With an almost unconscious effort Aperta slows his body's metabolism and disengages several superfluous augemetics in order to drop his core body temperature, several of them venting tiny clouds of steam as they power down.

Everything about being on an actual planet is wrong, but this planet especially. Mankind belongs in the stars, Aperta thought. There the air is cold and scrubbed clean, and the artificial atmosphere and gravity is pleasantly light. Even the light is cleaner. Here the air is thick, oily, and unbearably heavy, pressing in on him and weighing him down, as if trying to trap him forever. Even the light of the planet's star is a sickly yellow-red here on the surface, unlike the pure and brilliant white it truly is in space. Mankind had striven for hundreds of thousands of years to escape the bonds Terra, so Aperta sees no logic in wishing to abandon their destiny in the void to stagnate on miserable balls of water like this one.

Finally he rounds the last alleyway to the rear of the warehouse. He usually spent the most time here, he had arrived on planet roughly a month ahead of any of the others to prepare it as a suitable base of operations, but his cover identity hadn't left him time to do more than install crude but discreet surveillance cameras to watch the entrances, as well as installing new, much more sophisticated locks on said entrances. Grabbing the handle of the door Aperta concentrates for a moment, activating the electoos implanted in his epidermis and his gauntlet to emit a particular pattern of 1- and 2-millisecond low voltage electrical pulses; a prayer to the Machine God in electric binary. With a heavy thunk the lock's magnets engage and the doorway opens. Aperta prayed that the others had used their own particular entrances he had set up for them and hadn't just come in the front door like usual. Bulworth almost certainly hadn't. He would check the security footage later to be sure.

The petty thought makes the priest realize his emotions are still running high. Activating hormonochemical regulators in his brain stem, the priest increases production of oxytocin by 36% to calm himself, and kicks up production of dopamine for good measure.

"Master Malbau. Master Valarius. Bulworth. Miss Gamma." He greets politely, adopting a formal tone of voice and nodding his head to each of them in turn. "I pray that my absence has not caused undue issue. I am to understand that we have finally received dispatch from our masters?" He asks, looking expectantly at Eadin and Ignatius while Cogitatio floats to peer over Gamma's shoulder at the message. He listens intently to Eadin and, surprisingly, Barry as well.

"Interesting. I had not expected us to be dealing with the local nobility. I will need to set up my electroplating equipment to silver-plate my augmetics." He muses to himself. "But I must admit that the matters of laypeople is not my area of expertise. However, if I may make a suggestion, I believe we will need to secure dedicated transportation, preferably an aircar or shuttle. I believe the Munitorum has a limited number of smaller, but inoperable, lighters that they used to use to transport dignitaries when they still did that sort of thing. Though I cannot guarantee they will give me access to them."

I took Gamma's idea that there weren't enough Tech-Priests to go around and ran with that to explain my late entrance. I'm also establishing that each of you has your own designated entrance. That this might actually seem more suspicious if anyone was observing is lost on Aperta because like most Tech-Priests he prefers things to be needlessly complicated. I've also established that this planet doesn't just feed the sector, but also supplies rations for the Imperial Guard, and that the Munitorium doesn't give a gently caress about the Black Ships because they are way behind on orders to fill.

Aperta wears his armor at all times, but Cogitatio's combat las-emitter has been swapped out with a more standard and much less bulky utility one, so he is unarmed. Both the combat laser and ballistic attachment [hand cannon] are left here in the warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

"Then it is agreed, a transport flier." Aperta says. He strokes his respirator as he ponders how best to go about procuring one. "Cogitatio, please display the current inventory of the Departmento Munitorum vehicle depots." He commands.

After a few seconds of soft clicking and tapping noises from inside the floating skull, Cogitatio's left eye-socket projects soft light onto the nearby table, displaying a list of vehicles, their technical designations, and their current status. The vast majority show that they are 'DECOMMISSIONED' in angry red letters. With a satisfied hum, Aperta points to one such entry.

"As I thought, a non-functional XIV-pattern Arvus Lighter. Transport capacity of 16, more than enough for our purposes. Unarmed, but the armor is more than thick enough for atmospheric re-entry, and the chassis is robust as well as highly modular, although-" The Tech-Priest stops himself short, realizing that he is beginning to babble about non-vital information. He continues, "I may be able to arrange for it to be delivered here from the Munitorium vehicle pool under the guise of repairing it for use when the Telepathica's Black Ships arrive. It would, after all, be in the Munitorium's best interests to be ready to lend aid should they be called upon to do so. After delivery I may be able to delete all records of the craft's existence from their data-stacks. If they do not have records, they will never admit that there was ever such a ship to have lost in the first place. I may require aid for the... initial negotiation, though."

I hope I'm not overstepping my narrative freedom by choosing the vehicle I'd like us to go get. Fluff says that it's a workhorse transport used by pretty much everybody, so it seemed appropriate. If someone with some face skills would like to accompany me in getting this, that'd be cool, just in case. Otherwise I could try just getting access to the Munitorum's computers, inputting the order, having them follow it, and then delete it out again. Or maybe I'm overthinking this?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

It takes a moment for Aperta to process what Ignatius says, lost in his own train of thought. But after a moment he is forced to agree. "I admit that I... had not considered the logistics of storing a vehicle. I apologize for this oversight." The techpriest taps the side of his respirator as he ponders what sort of vehicle to procure instead. "Regardless, I believe the Munitorum's vehicle pool to be the best source for transportation. I shall make my way to their offices immediately to make the procurement."

Before leaving, however, Aperta walks to his workbench at the far end of the warehouse and bleats an order to Cagitatio in holy binaric speech. The skull dutifully lands upon the table and quietly powers down. With the speed and haste of a practiced expert the priest disassembles the familiar's reinforced bone chassis, exposing the delicate innards. With ease he removes the utility-grade laser emitter and in it's place slots in a compact ballistics projector. Recessed in the shadows of the skull's sockets it provides Aperta with adequate personal protection without the gaudy obviousness of the more powerful las-blaster.

Equipped and ready to go, Aperta leaves the warehouse to head towards the Munitorum's primary offices near the docks.

Equipping my Handcannon before I leave for the Munitorum. If anyone is left without something to do, they're welcome to come with me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

"-and I would strongly suggest procuring blessed lubricants from the Omni-shrine on the east side of the island for a mere pittance of a donation," Aperta lectures as he applies his own sacred unguents to the gondolier's motor. He continues as he finishes the task, "apply it directly to the motor here and here at least once every three weeks while reciting the Litany of Protection Against Corrosion to ensure you do not have another buildup of oxidization. Such preventative care is well within the bounds of a lay-person to perform and shall ensure the machine spirit remains loyal and cooperative to mankind. And remember what I told you about priming the engine to ensure the machine spirit is roused properly and alert. Trying to start it unprimed awakens the spirit from a cold slumber, and over time causes it to grow resentful of he who mistreats it. I trust you will take this to heart."

Aperta does not often take it upon himself to meddle in the affairs of the uninitiated, but the wail of the motor's spirit was too much to ignore, and in truth his impromptu lesson on the proper maintenance of the small motor takes longer than the ritual of repair does. Aperta takes his leave of the man soon after, though his joyful thanks and apologies follow the Magos for a ways, as makes his way to the drab, yet structurally sound, Munitorium sub-depot to which he has recently been reporting. Inside it is dark and some might say claustrophobic. Dust swirls thickly in the few beams of natural sunlight that pierce the gloom, and the filters on the priest's respirator kicks on with a soft hum.

The clerk looks up with a scowl on his gaunt, sickly face, no doubt expecting some manner of imbecile of vagrant looking for handouts or shelter. The transforms almost instantly when he sees Aperta's crimson robes into one of equal parts delight and desperation.

+++LOWEN BRUNELL, ADEPT CLASS B-THETA, CLEARANCE LEVEL SAME+++ Cogitatio helpfully trills in binaric once it's facial recognition software pulls up a match. Aperta had dealt with him a number of times to receive work orders. Like everyone in the building, he is over stressed and overworked by half.

"Good morning, Adept Brunell, and may the Omnisiah bless you and your kin." Aperta begins, making the sign of the sacred cog. "I wish to speak to you of matters pertaining to my involvement with the Departmento Munitorum. As you know I have been liaised with your office to aid in the backlog of work that you have been accruing. And though it is my sacred duty to carry out these orders for the glory of the machine-God, I have come to you today because it is becoming increasingly difficult, nay, impossible, to carry out these duties in a timely and efficient manner. To wit travel times to and from job sites take an average of 36 minutes and 24.873562 seconds, an excess of 21 minutes and 13.4571 seconds over the allotted time for travel and other non-work related tasks. This is due to an inability to procure travel during what the locals call 'rush hour'. I think you will agree that this is wholly unacceptable." Aperta says with a stern look. He doesn't allow the adept to say anything before continuing.

"Part of my terms to be seconded to your office was I was to be assured the means to carry out my duties in a way that brings glory to the Omnisiah for the benefit of both our organizations. I simply cannot do that without dedicated transportation. As such, I request to be assigned a vehicle from your motor-pool suitable to the task of transporting myself, necessary supplies, and a contingent of labor-servitors if need be. Because I understand the strain your department is currently under the vehicle need not be in working repair, as I am graciously willing to restore a vehicle to prime operating condition to be returned to the Munitorum after my liaise is finished. And I can assure you that if a vehicle is delivered unto me as requested I will do everything in my power to see that I am not reassigned to the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to help them prepare for the arrival of the Black Ships."

Not 100% sure what skill would be best here, so I'll leave that up to the GM. Everything Aperta is saying is technically true, including doing everything in his power not to be reassigned since that's entirely in his power. I'm hoping not to bludgeon or intimidate the poor man with my arguments so much as to not let him get a word in edgewise until he can't argue with my argument or request. Also so he doesn't have time to make requests of me in return.

I've marked off one vial of sacred oils from my character sheet to use on the gondolier's motor. Keeping a good relationship with the populace should be handy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Munitorum Depot

"I think, Adept," Aperta began sharply, "that you know as well as I that changes to my lodgings will need to be submitted through the proper channels. I simply cannot allow myself to be absent from my assigned domicile should Mars recall my services, after all. And your cell is not properly consecrated for the purposes of supplication to the Omnisiah, which would make me derelict in my duties as spiritual as well as physical caretaker of the machine spirits. Both of these things will take time to process and rectify, time in which even more work will be created. More work than I could conceivably work through in my remaining time here and thus a net increase in work that you allowed to pile up."

Brunell shrinks down behind his desk like a struck pet at the thought of even more backlog being created because of him. His supervisor would have him whipped harder than ever if he found out. Try as he might his over-stressed and sleep deprived mind can't think of a way around the Magos' argument. "Ah, yes, of course. How... how utterly foolish of me. I beg your forgiveness, Lord. Please, follow me to the docks." The Adept says dejectedly as he stands and leads Aperta back through the depot out onto the waterfront.

Out the back gates of the squat building is a fairly sizable, for the planet, vehicle depot, surrounded by high ferrocrete walls. On the north side sit a half dozen fliers on raised landing pads, a pair of Arvus Lighters, several local-made prop-fliers of no standard pattern Aperta recognized, and even a single Aquila Lander. Opposite the pads are perhaps a score of groundcars, primarily large shipment-haulers but a few personnel transports and even a pair of bykes with sidecars. Nearly all of them, both fliers and land vehicles, in obvious and gross disrepair. Tyres are worn smooth, frames pockmarked with rust and corrosion, thrusters missing completely. It sickens and saddens the tech-priest to see once proud and mighty machines laid low and abandoned like this.

"Here, sir, the boats. If I may, I would suggest our personnel ferry. The hull is still serviceable, to my knowledge, and the propulsion still operable. Although, not for very long. It overheats horribly, you see, after only a few hours. The High Administrator used to use it as a personal transport when called to social events with the nobility or even the Planetary Governor. He hasn't used it since it stalled in the middle of the ocean and he needed to be rescued. He said to strike the vehicles from the records for its failure, but there's been no time to do so, you see, and..." Brunell explains before giving up mid-sentence as he realizes Aperta is too busy inspecting the ship to listen. The ship is mostly rectangular, wide and low in the water, coming to a fat point at the front with chipped and faded Munitorum emblems painted on either side of the front prow. The entire interior is enclosed, with an entrance to a small upper deck for the pilot, and a primary passenger compartment, available through the front. A pair of massive turbine-powered props are visible in the murky water and seemingly in good repair.

"It will do nicely, Adept. The Mechanicum thanks you for your service." Aperta says after he is satisfied with what he sees. "Open the dock gates while I prepare it for launch, if you please." He orders with a dismissive wave.

Brunell sighs softly and goes to do as he is told but is stopped short. "Adept Brunell!" Aperta calls before he gets too far.

"I am not ignorant or unsympathetic to your plight. You have my word that I will return soon, when I am able, to help you for as long as my other obligations allow. You have done me a great service, and I will see it repaid in kind. You have my word as a Magos." The priest says kindly.

It isn't much, but it is a small glimmer of hope to the Adept nonetheless, and he moves with much more confidence and energy to do as the Magos asked. While he does, Aperta gives the interior of the vessel a quick inspection. Climbing into the small pilot's cabin he begins to prime the engines. Massive batteries, miraculously still holding a charge, power up the onboard systems and instruments. 'Not so different from a voidcraft,' he thinks to himself. The engines roar to life, thankfully the fuel tanks hadn't been syphoned for their promethium, as the dock gates grind open, allowing Aperta access to the open sea. It's only a short trip around the island back to the warehouse from there, where the Tech-Priest awaits the return of his associates and begins a closer inspection of the ferry as he does.

I'm spending a Fate Point to auto-succeed my Logic Test to get the boat without the Subtlety hit or the burdensome obligation and to take a small civilian ferry back to the Warehouse to wait for everyone else. If we have significant downtime again sometime in the future I'll go help out that poor guy.

While waiting for the others to return to the safe house I'm going to do whatever repairs are required to get the ferry into working order, and also remove any and all iconography and identifiers that would show that the ship is owned by the Departmento Munitorum.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 12, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There was a post here and I hosed it up. I'll fix in a bit.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 16, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

The Tech-Priest cannot help himself. "It is not so uncommon on aquatic planets such as this. Natural disasters such as hurricanes and tsunamis make long-range vox towers unfeasible, and laying comm-cable is often much too resource and law our intensive when landmasses are so dispersed. Nobility and Imperial organizations make use of tight-beam links to geosynchronous orbital satellites that then relay signals via standard orbital vox-nets to then be beamed down to the recipients. Short-ranged vox casters and receivers are more than sufficient for local purposes when an entire island is a mere few square kilometers. Of course one needs to know the proper frequencies and encryption cypher a to make use of it. " He lectures as he motions Ignatius to follow him outside.

Of his compatriots Aperta has the highest regards for Master Malbau. A voidborn like himself (although Aperta had not technically been "born" but rather "crafted") and less inscrutable than Lady Gamma, he also has a respect for the machine spirits that most lay people lacked, and the priest in turn respects that. The other two gentlemen are fine in their own ways, Master Bulworth is dependable if a bit crude and Master Valarius is shrewd and intelligent if a bit haughty. But Master Malbau seems to strike a balance between the two extremes; proficient, professional and carries himself with confidence without bordering on arrogance.

Stepping outside Aperta changes the subject. "It's coincidental that you mentioned a contact who works as a ferryman, for it is a ferry that I have procured." He says, gesturing to the docked vessel. "I am nearly complete with the minor repairs it needed, pests seemed to have used the cooling system as a nest. After that I will only need to repaint the hull to be less... conspicuous."

He turns to Ignatius. "Would you be so kind as to help me? Cogitatio is indispensable but another pair of hands would be a gift from the Omnisiah. After the initial repairs are complete, I believe I may have a few upgrades in mind that may be of use to us."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

Aperta steps back from the boat's powerful port turbine, the machine returned to peak performance condition and polished to a mirror sheen. Truthfully the repairs had been trivially easy, the coolant hoses had rotted through and merely needed replacing, and the tune-up had just been a pleasant distraction while waiting for the others to return and while he mentally prepared plans for further modifications.

The priest gathers his tools and exits the boat, hopping over the side. He is pleased to see Malbau had taken so easily to the task of removing the Munitorum iconography, the boat now a plain and unadorned gunmetal. Even Cogitatio is just finishing lasering the last of the tenacious spiked mollusk-like creatures that infest the planet's seas and slowly chew through ships' hulls. There is still a few more things to be done, small repairs to electronic systems and the like, but the priest puts those things on hold as he hears the security chimes that signal the return of Bulworth and Gamma, and he calls for Malbau to follow him back inside.

Aperta listens intently but silently as everyone relays their findings for the day. The most promising lead being at a social gathering, centering around guests trying to determine who can most accurately deduce probabilities. The tech-priest fails to understand the point of it all, but doesn't question it. And perhaps another potential avenue of inquiry into the planet's less savory elements. Both are outside of Aperta's normal areas of expertise, but he can still contribute to the effort nonetheless.

After everyone else has said their piece, Aperta leads the group outside, showing off the ferry and explaining the situation at the Munitorum, and the potential to use it for other acquisitions if necessary. He explains his plans after they return inside.

"The ship is already perfectly sea-worthy, perhaps in better condition than when it was first made, but I believe it may be further improved upon. Cogitatio?" The servo-skull floats upwards above the group's heads, and projects a flickering amber hologram of the ferry's schematic to float at eye height between them.

"There is an unused hollow area here between the passenger compartment and the engine area below." He explains, the relevant section of the schematic flashing red. "It should be trivially easy to install false panels to allow us access to this area for additional storage. How concealable it is will be determinate on the time and materials I am afforded. It will allow us to store potential contraband, weaponry, or supplies that we do not wish to keep on our persons but nevertheless wish to keep close at hand. Perhaps even a person, so long as they are not overly large."

"Additionally, the installation of propulsion upgrades may be useful, but I do not believe I currently have the necessary parts on hand for any major retrofits or overhauls, I'll take a full stock after this. Finally, I believe a vox-system and auspex could be highly advantageous, but potentially difficult to procure."

Finishing his assessment of the possibilities for the ferry, Cogitatio's projector goes dark and the skull returns to it's customary position to behind Aperta's shoulder.

"Oh," the priest adds absentmindedly, "I also believe it would be beneficial to determine the local... customs, as pertaining to the decoration of personal watercraft. And naming conventions. I am also happy to assess any other suggestions for potential projects or task that require my expertise."

Aperta gives a full and detailed report of his day out, and what he thinks can be done with the boat.

1) Smuggling compartments
2) Engine upgrades
3) Communication and scanning equipment.

Roughly in that order, depending on how long any of them might take. If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. This is our ship, after all.

Also Aperta is a sperglord that doesn't understand parties or things like "making stuff look nice". Someone explain to him these things to him, TIA.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

For a period the Tech-Priest withdraws from the group's discussions. He's still listening, a full 13.22% of his brain is partitioned and dedicated to following what's being said, but the rest is focused on what he feels to be the most critical task; ensuring the team's equipment is in proper working condition. Aperta has terrabytes of datalogs and vid debriefings of operational teams failing in their duties because they had no means of extraction, or some crucial piece of kit malfunctioned. Those horror stories stick with him.

As he finishes the last of his internal calculations and mentally files away the schematics he has devised, it takes him a few moments for his mind to properly reprocess the conversation thus far.

"Forgive my ignorance, and I of course bow to the experience of who have served in the field far longer than I", the machine-worshipper begins respectfully, "but surely we are getting ahead of ourselves here, are we not? The Deculon family has not been indicated to be hostile or heretical, thus would it not be preferable to attempt to meet with this Iseppo on amicable terms? To, ah..." Soft clicking can be heard as Aperta searches through his database of colloquialisms for a proper phrase, "'make buddy-buddy' with him? Surely gaining an ally within the family is preferable to making enemies of the nobility as a whole."

"I have been told that gifts of ethanol to the host of these events is often appreciated? I have CH3CH2OH in a highly concentrated gelatin medium that I use as a cleaning agent, if that would be sufficient." He adds as an afterthought, his voice taking a peculiar monotone affectation when he lists the chemical composition.

When Gamma speaks up as well, he taps the side of his respirator as he considers the name. "I am... unfamiliar with your metaphor, Lady Gamma. But I believe the pelican, high-gothic designation Pelecanus, is more than satisfactory for the purposes of watercraft designation. A vessel's machine-spirit can become unruly if it is not honored with a name, so thank you, and may the Omnissiah look kindly upon you."

________
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Scrapyard

Later, after the group finalizes their plans and begin preparations (and after taking a moment to properly christen the boat as The Pelecanus in glossy black letters upon the ship's still bare metal hull across both sides of the prow), Aperta leaves the warehouse and makes his way to a local scrapyard to gather the supplies for his next project. His previous tune-up while waiting for the others to arrive is more than sufficient for the Acolytes' needs at the moment, so his goal is to ensure that not only will The Pelecanus bear their persons faithfully, but their equipment as well. And that meant he would need materials, nothing illicit, at least not individually, but materials he does not have on hand.

The scrapyard is in many ways identical to countless others throughout the Imperium and in many more ways completely different. Like many similar places, it was technically owned by the Adeptus Mechanicus so that it could ensure that machine-spirits were properly laid to rest after their physical chassis are no longer suitable for operation and so that they might hopefully live again in a new form one day. In reality, though, the task of overseeing heaps of inoperable garbage is seen insignificant and unimportant by even the most devout Tech-Priests, and is left to the locals to do as they please, although a shrine of the Machine God is always prominently displayed on site, and of course the priesthood demanded rights to first claim and a cut of all profits as a 'donation'. It is ironic, then, that any scrapyard's most common paying customers were tech-priests themselves.

Where this particular scrapyard differed from others was the distinct lack of space to store all of it. Rather than a huge, sprawling field all the scrap is piled in an enormous mound, like a jagged, rusty boil on the island, and wrapped in durable mesh to keep it all from collapsing or being blown away by storms. Even though he is still some distance away Aperta can make out tiny figures crawling over the huge misshapen pile like insects over a piece of edible detritus.

Hopefully this wouldn't take overly long.

Rather than blackmail, maybe we should try to get in good with the Deculons? Of course we can still prepare for more unsavory ways of getting the info, but I don't think strong arming the guy should be the go-to or even the backup. Like a plan D, maybe. But I'll support whatever as best as a can.

To that end, some time in the future game-time, I'm going to take the Basic Engine Refit as my free upgrade. Roll below:

Engine Refit: 1d100 77, Target of 80 (What the fuuuuuuuuuck, Orokos, why you gotta be a dick?!)

After that I'm going to try for the Exceptional Smuggling Compartment, and I'm willing to spend a Fate Point if I majorly cock up the Requisition roll. I tried to leave my set-up for the scene open for the potential of anyone coming with me to help out, but it's probably not necessary. After the installation is done, Aperta can help with any investigating anyone wants to do of the data-mining variety.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

"But, Igantius, did your ships not make use of deck crews and crew masters? Even the smallest of warp-capable vessels has a minimum crew requirement of 893, not including Mechanicus personnel, senior officers, and servitors. I have serviced scores of voidships before my time here, and each of them was home to many thousands of souls in living conditions not unlike those on this island, some considerably worse."

"My own home vessel primarily used servitors in lieu of large contingents of unaugmented crew. I believe that to be the far more merciful fate, sometimes. But no aspect of life is without those with power and comfort and those who have neither and never will."

Suddenly Aperta catches himself, realizing he is butting in on a conversation between Ignatius and Gamma. Once again his natural instinct to correct and lecture people got the better of him.

"Of course I meant no disrespect. I am..." He struggles for a moment to come up with the most tactful way of phrasing his thoughts, "I am willing to believe that your word that your homeship was vastly different form nearly all others in this regard."

Nailed it.

Banter banter

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

Aperta does a few thousand quick calculations in his head. "Your requests are more than feasible, if you can obtain the requisite materials, of course. The only limiting factor is time. Had I a pair of servitors I could have everything completed in a day if not sooner. As it is, after I finish the structural installations I will have little over 24 standard hours to complete any further projects. I will likely need help, someone to perform the more overt manual labor while I focus on the more delicate essentials. And I am unsure of what you mean by... 'reasonably fine appointments'. The Pelicanus is more than adequate for operation, I assure you." He says with just a hint of derision at the idea that the ship wasn't worthy of passengers. It was water-tight, fine tuned, and had more than adequate seating already, after all.

"The microbeads should be exceedingly simple to disguise. It's simply a matter of removing the casing and placing the mechanism into another suitable housing. The only issue I foresee is perhaps that the delicate circuitry may be more exposed to damage."

He chimes in with one final thing. "Perhaps the best cover is also the simplest. Master Malbau, even I can tell from a short study that you are not a native to this world, to say nothing of Lady Gamma or myself. And there are," he pauses for but a moment to calculate, "at least 13 physical parameters where Master Bullworth and Master Valarius are at least one standard deviation outside of the planetary norm. Rather than complicate things by brining in unknown outside actors, is it not more logical to simply pose as off-world, even out-system, nobility? The less details there are to verify the less chance there is to be caught in a deception. For my own part, the Mechanicus has long been known to make alliances with planetary nobility to exchange services for raw materials, access to a planet's histories a noble family may have preserved, or any number of other reasons."

I'm against trying to get in with another family. Too many details means too many ways to get caught, and too many people you lie to only exacerbates things. Use the KISS method, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse

"I apologize for my misunderstanding. I will endeavor to better familiarize myself with these situations to avoid confusion in the future." Aperta says with a small bow of his head towards Ignatius.

He taps the side of his respirator as Ignatius explains his planned... 'upgrades'. "So long as the machine spirit is suitably honored I see no issue with this. It is a proud vessel, perhaps it will appreciate having a more, ah, shall we say regal bearing?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Rose

Aperta shifts uncomfortably from one foot to another, suddenly very much regretting not insisting on being in an unseen supports role for this mission. The priest is his best ceremonial garb for this outing. Long and heavy silk robes died blood red to symbolize holy Mars and the divinity of the Machine obscure most of his form, although what bits of the silver plating on his armor that can be seen gleams gold in the soft yellow light of the room. Finally Aperta carries a tall staff topped with the Mechanicus' cog tooth emblem, his official rod of office marking him as a full fledged Magos of the Priesthood of Mars. Were Aperta a man ruled by his emotions, he might have been tempted to shatter the fragile staff over the head of one of the nobles gathered around him. As it is, he files the idea away under 'in an emergency only'.

Cogitatio, too, has been cleaned and polished for the occasion, although the skull sometimes bobbles uncertainly in the air, not yet used to the weight of it's newest upgrade in the form of a miniaturized augury scanner. The scanner's lens bulges from Cogitatio's left eye, the glass smokey and dark in its powered down state.

The time for his distraction is coming soon, and he can't activate the servo-skull hidden aboard The Pelecanus discretely enough with so many people focusing their undivided attention on him. Thus far he has tried politely decline and excuse himself, but it isn't working. So Aperta falls back upon a defense the Priests of the Omnissiah have been employing for untold millennia; boring, monotone lecturing.

"If you insist then I cannot deny those who thirst for knowledge from drinking of the Machine God's well. On 2477986.M41 I awoke at exactly 0230 hours having slept for exactly 150 minutes. After a prayer period of 35.25 minutes I prepared to receive my daily work duties by activating my cogitator-terminal, which first required the lifting of rosewood incense, although I found my personal terminal's spirit often preferred sandlewood. I then recited the Litany of Spiritual Awakening, followed by the the application of pressure to the activation rune. I then proceeded the Chant of Memory Alignment to ensure my terminal's access to the ship's primary information net would be secure." Aperta continues unceasingly, seemingly without needing to even pause for breath. He could go on for hours, but hoped he wouldn't need to.

I have no idea what this would be. Possibly a Logic test? Or can I choose to intentionally fail a Fellowships test, maybe?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Rose

Finally free of the throng that was cornering him, Aperta heads toward a secluded corner of the room nearest the docks. The priest peers out a window toward The Pelicanus and reaches into the folds of his voluminous robes to activate the remote he had hidden on his person. Out in dark he sees a lone light suddenly appear and begin to drift hither and to.

If all goes as planned the now active messenger-skull will wander aimlessly until it spots a human, where it will attempt to scan it's face for a recognizable match so it can dispense a very important confidential message. Of course, there was no face to match and no message to deliver, but the floating servitor would dutifully attempt to do both anyway. Ignatius has assured Aperta that this would be "like throwing grox-steak to starved hunting hounds" for gossip-addicted nobles. The priest didn't really understand the idiom, but constructing the servitor had been trivially easy nonetheless.

His duty done, he finds an out of the way spot of the room near enough to the others to still clearly hear what is going on.

My part of The Plan is activated, should take just long enough to get noticed and word to spread as needed.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 4, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Rose

Aperta winces slightly upon entering the gambling room as his electro-senses pick up unshielded data frequencies. Quickly scanning the room the priest spots numerous small cameras along the ceiling as well as the local data network they're linked to. And only a moment later he spots something even more intriguing, an open data-port at floor level. Unfortunately a member of the security staff unwittingly blocks the tech-adept's access. Bowing his head to further obscure his face Aperta comms the other Acolytes.

"North-side wall, male security personnel, bald, dark facial hair. Behind him is an interface I can use to gain access to the cameras above us. I believe this will afford us an advantage in our dealings. I merely need the guard to be removed from the area in order to have discreet access." He says quietly.

Everyone can read my spoilers. But the long-short of it is that if someone can go distract a guard away from a data-port I can hopefully look through the cameras along the ceiling and so we can cheat like mad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Rose - Gambling Den

The way cleared, Aperta makes his way towards the now unguarded interface port. If there are any looks cast his way the priest either doesn't notice or doesn't care. In position, he reaches deep into his robes for his data-jack, an almost crude seeming thin spike of brass and silver with a cord that runs into the folds of his robe and to the base of spine.

Plugging himself into the port the familiar feeling of cold data rushes through his mind. Immediately he begins the process of aligning his thoughts to make sense of the constant stream of information, even using Cogitatio as a buffer for junk data. "I will have access to the buildings info-nets momentarily." He whispers into his vox.

In position. Tech-Use +20 (+10 for Utility Servo-Skull) to get access to the cameras and use them to help see hands, and if possible keep cameras away from the Acolytes. If I fail the roll use a Fate Point to reroll.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded THORN - Gambling Den

Idly in between hands Aperta flicks through the entirety of the building's camera network, making a mental blueprint of the building but otherwise finds nothing to immediately grab his attention, and so focuses on feeding information to Master Eadian. When he leaves to attend to other affairs the tech-priest feels a brief twinge of empathy for Gamma, who clearly appears to be out of her element. His own understanding of the game is likely as poor as hers, and he can only provide the cold facts of cards in play and probability calculations.

Aperta cannot help but smile as his servo-skull makes its entrance, pride in his handiwork being one of the few vices he allows himself. Cogitatio follows the path of its careening 'brother' like a hunter watching prey scurry in a panic. The entrance is a tad louder than he expected, but given the sub-optimal materials he had on hand and the obvious effectiveness of it the priest still considers it a success. Briefly a shifts his focus back into the data-network and spies the others following Iseppo into another room.

Aperta disconnects his data-tether and the long cord snakes its way back into the recesses of his robes, but leaves the data-jack plugged in.

"<Cogitatio.>" He bleats in binary, and skull snaps to attention. "<Maintain proximity link with the network interface and noospheric synchronization with me. Await further orders.>"

With that Aperta pushes his way through the crowd towards the others, joining up with them shortly.

Focus on the game for those sweet, sweet DoS, and then meet up with the group to chat with Iseppi (can we call him Iseppi)?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Meeting Room

Aperta pays little attention to the meeting, he had really only joined as a show that Ignatius and Eadin had the implicit support of the Mechanicus anyway, and instead focuses on keeping an eye on events in and around the building. And he grows more and more concerned as he continues to watch the developing situation outside, particularly as it comes to a violent and bloody head.

Suddenly the room they're in feels oppressively small and closed in. What was this building made out of, wood and plascrete? How could anyone survive without at least 25 meters of adamantine hull plating protecting them? Such thoughts begin to fill Aperta's head, distracting him.

It's almost a relief when Bulworth crashes into the room, demanding people move. And Aperta is only too happy to oblige.

"I believe I can provide the most optimal route to our vessel." He says, with just a hint of excited panic in his otherwise monotone voice as he follows Bulworth closely, eager to be out of the room.

As he surveys the balcony and lower floor he contacts his familiar. <Cogitatio, retrieve the data-jack and return to me immediately. Initiate primary combat protocol Sigma Pi, retain secondary auspex routines.> He bleats in binaric into his comms.

Below his faithful floating skull-servitor unplugs the spike from the wall port with its manipulators and floats as quickly as its grav-plates allow back to its customary position behind its master's shoulder. With a series of heavy clacks and whirs the barrel of Cogitatio's micro-cannon extends from it's right socket while it's left eye scans for hostiles.

Basically just moving out of the room with Bulworth and getting ready for any potential fight. I have a floor plan and a good idea of where the mob currently is, so I'm guessing that's a Logic test to determine the fastest and safest way out? If so, I have Logic +10 and will spend a Fate Point to auto-succeeded with 4 DoS if I botch it. I'll also be using my Auspex implant to keep tabs on what's ahead of us before we enter any room.

Eadin or Ignatius can take the shotgun, I'm more accurate with my hand cannon.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics
WS: 25   T:   40   Per: 35
BS: 35   AG:  35   WP:  40
S:  20   Int: 40   Fel: 25

Wounds: 10/10        Armour: 4 - All

Weapons:
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S| Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 5/5

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Outside the Meeting Room

Aperta takes a moment to spare a glance towards Gamma as she stumbles out of the terrifyingly small room behind them. The tech-priest can't be sure, he doesn't have time to run a full diagnostic on the Psyker at the moment, but he believes she may be unwell.

"Are you operating at an acceptable level of efficiency, Madam Gamma?" he asks in a flat deadpan, although there may be a hint of concern in his voice as well. It's difficult to tell.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn

The Tech-Priest wastes no time, and heads as quickly as he can towards the south-east service entrance.

Making a run action to move as far as possible towards the aforementioned south-east service entrance.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - First Floor Chaos

Aperta does his best to try and ease his way through the crowd by using his staff to try and gently part the sea of bodies, but to no avail. Things only become worse as the angry horde from outside very suddenly makes its bloody entrance. The Tech-Priest winces as for a split-second as his brain is flooded with IFF designations from Cogitatio.

+++Hostile designated. Hostile designated. Hostile designHostile desiHostileHostileHostileHostileHostHo+++

Aperta dismisses the distracting info from his primary processes and brings up the floor schematics. Behind the wall next to him was a small private room that led to the service areas. The crowd is too thick, too agitated and panicked to move through quickly and safely, the acolytes need a more direct route.

The tech-priests reaches into his robes and removes to vials from one of his many pockets. "Cogitatio: agent dispersal function Alpha." The skull dutifully floats to his master's hand allowing Aperta to slot the vials into the servitor's underside. Opening it's jaw, Cogitatio begins to spray an aerosolized mist of chemicals, industrial bio-solvents, upon the wall as Aperta quickly utters the Litany of Strong Reactions and an additional prayer for misusing blessed materials in such a manner.

The sprayed unguents immediately begin to foam and emit a thick blue-green smoke as the solvents eat at the barrier.

"Lady Gamma, I believe a few rounds will be sufficient to weaken the wall and allow our egress." Aperta says, motioning towards the gun she carries.

Using a vial of Sacred Unguents to weaken the wall next to me so we can break through it. I'll even try a Strength check to break it by myself if I have the action for it. If weakening the wall is some sort of check, I'll spend a Fate Point to reroll it if I fail.

Additional Security is going to burst from the Northwest service entrance right abooooout... NOW!

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Wounds: 10/10        Armour: 4 - All       Fate: 2/3

Weapons:
  • Longlas - Range: 150m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+3 E | Pen: 1 | Clip: 40/40 | Reload: Full | Accurate, Felling (4), Reliable
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 5/5 | Reload: 2Full

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 8, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - First Floor Chaos

The tech-priest gives a hasty nod of his head in thanks and pushes his way through makeshift hole into the next room, Cogitatio following closely behind.

"I will ensure the the way ahead is clear for our escape." He calls over his shoulder as he moves through the cramped room.

I'll move to the next room. Not much else I can do at this time.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:
  • Longlas - Range: 150m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+3 E | Pen: 1 | Clip: 40/40 | Reload: Full | Accurate, Felling (4), Reliable
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 5/5 | Reload: 2Full

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Back Hallway

Aperta pays little mind to his surroundings, his attention focused on moving forward, on getting out, and he unceremoniously slams through the next door. The priest is so focused he nearly crashes into the men at the end of the hallway, but manages to bring himself to an abrupt halt. The Magos stares blankly at the pair for a heartbeat before recognizing that they are in fact people and not objects.

"Ah, my apologies gentlemen, but..." Aperta pauses for a moment. The men look familiar, but he can't quite remember why.

<Cogitatio, execute facial recognition program.> he orders in binaric.

<Subjects identified. Collectively known as 'Thunder and Lightning', individual designations unknown. Known bodyguards of the primary target.> The skull dutifully responds.

<Ah, of course. Excellent.> The entire exchange takes perhaps less than a third of a second of shrill machine-bleating and rapid clicks, and Aperta continues his previous sentence as if it didn't happen.

"I need through so that I can prepare our ship to receive Master Iseppo so that we can depart with all haste." he finishes, desperately hoping they don't ask any questions.

Hopefully the truth will set us free.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Back Hallway

It doesn't even enter Aperta's mind to correct the pair of bodyguards as they rush bout into the bloodbath, instead he simply continues on through the service areas and out the rear entrance and throws an occasional look behind him to ensure he hasn't lost Gamma.

Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Docks

It's times like these Aperta thanks the Omnisiah for his diminished emotional capacity, as he "sees" a man be killed through Cogitatio's bio-scans. When he and Gamma reconvene with the others he explains they may be being followed, and to prepare accordingly.

"I will prepare The Pelicanus for immediate departure. Master Iseppo, if you would be so kind as to follow me I can show you to the main cabin, where you can wait in peace and comfort."

Move towards/into the boat so that I can start preparing it to leave.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

With unbecoming haste Aperta dashes into the pilot's compartment and takes position in the captain's chair. His hands move with lightning speed across the control panel, red and green lights spring to life and cast the priest with their hazy glow as he primes the turbines and preps the vessel for launch.

With a mental command Aperta sends Cogitatio to hover outside. "Please, take the stairs to the lower decks and prepare for departure. Thank you for your cooperation." The skull vocalizes to Iseppo, in a tinny, static-filled approximation of the techpriest's own voice.

Once the noble patriarch is safely inside, or at least on his way, the skull's left eye takes on a sinister red glow as it switches to its automated defense subroutines. With a loud 'KRAKOW' the skull fires at one of the crazed nobles, the recoil sending the skull spinning in circles before it's grav-drives can right itself.

Preparing the ship. As a free action I'll fire also at the most injured noble that hasn't engaged anyone in melee, or if no one is injured the closest noble.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 4/5 | Reload: 2Full

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 4, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

Aperta ignores Iseppo for the moment, and continues to focus on rousing the machine spirit of The Pelicanus.

He utters a quiet chanting prayer in sacred binaric as he begins to bring the turbines up to idling speed, <O, noble master of the great oceans, awaken to grants your wards safe and swift passage through this night, in the blessed name of the Omnisiah.>

Just a few feet away Cogitatio keeps it's watchful and wrathful gaze on the bedlam happening dockside. It's carefully programmed subroutines pick out a suitable target and it fires again.

Continuing to prepare the ship to leave, so everyone start making your way on board. Once again attacking as a free action, with priority for a target that is non-engaged in melee, most injured, and closest in that order.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 3/5 | Reload: 2Full

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

Aperta's reaction when he hears Max's codephrase is instantaneous and even interrupts the man's next sentence.

"Identification confirmed. Designation: Max Flightmaster. Homeworld: Appolyon. Height: -" The priest continues to babble, rattling off an eerily comprehensive list of the acolyte's personal and physical information. A few seconds later, when Aperta's seemingly automated spiel ends, he turns to regard the newcomer. He stares at the man silently for a long moment before he speaks again.

"It's satisfactory to finally meet you in person, Master Flightmaster. Welcome aboard The Pelicanus. Please show Master Iseppo to the passenger compartment, the others should be along shortly."

Ready to go once everyone is on board. We should probably swing around front to find Thunder and Lightning before heading out to drop off the old guy.

pre:
Combat Quick Sheet

Characteristics

Weapons:
  • Handcannon - Range: 35m | RoF: S/-/- | Damage: 1d10+4 I | Pen: 2 | Clip: 3/5 | Reload: 2Full

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

"Last known coordinates of the pair designated Thunder and Lightning was in the eastern hall of the first floor. They were moving towards the main ballroom to rendezvous with Master Iseppo. No known contact since then." Aperta says into his comms. "I may be able to search for any open vox-frequencies to establish contact with any survivors."

If we aren't going to cast off immediately I'd like to attempt a Tech-Use to use my Microbead to get in contact with Thunder and Lightning, unless anyone can think of a reason I shouldn't (or if that's not actually possible).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

Aperta sits quietly and patiently, awaiting the order to cast off.

________

Nothing to add, ready to go

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Pelicanus - Getaway

Aperta listens quietly to the conversation going on as he absentmindedly makes adjustments to Cogitatio with needle-like tools that occasionally pop and spark.

"Its certainly not impossible for our Primary to be a rogue pyker, although I believe that may be unlikely." He says without looking up, "It would be immensely difficult for an unsanctioned psyker to operate in the open with such a prestigious family without being found out. Still, it's not unheard of either, and to quote from the Epistle of Koros to the Aeneolus," the sounds from the priest are the high-pitched screechs of machine-code.

Aperta looks up to the group to find only blank and confused expressions. "Ah, that is to say, 'Lo, to be prepared even for that which is unforeseeable is the 97th virtue of the Omnisiah, and is the 25th Prime Virtue'. Roughly translated, of course."

Withdrawing his tools from his familiar's innards and replacing the top of it's casing, Aperta activates the skull, which rises groggily into the air.

"To that end I intend to do my best to make necessary procurements for the next stage of our mission. I have access to a Department Munitorum warehouse, which should hold quite a lot that we can use, along with the local Mechanicus temple. I can hopefully obtain anything any of you may require, I need only know what it is you believe necessary."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Safehouse - Pre-Planning

Aperta listens carefully as the conversation continues, carefully noting the needs of the group for the coming morning. Later, when the group leaves to begin their own preparations, the priest retires to his own corner of the safehouse and draws a dingy curtain closed to give himself privacy. After lighting a votive candle and taking a moment for solemn prayer he shucks his heavy robes and begins to take off his armor to begin the process of removing the silver plating as Cogitatio lands gently in it's charging cradle. Later Aperta will disassemble, polish, and then reassemble the skull. He will do it again, and then a third time. He'll find anything he can to keep himself from dwelling on what happened tonight.

Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Early Morning Mass

It is barely even dawn when Aperta leaves the team's hideout to make his way to the island's small shrine to the Omnissiah. The building is cramped and dark, the walls filled with banks of cogitators and tangles of wires and pipes, the only illumination coming from the dozens of screens that cast everything in a green glow. Another Tech-Priest kneels in front of an altar that projects a towering hologram of the Mechanicus' holy sigil. As Aperta approaches his colleague turns, surprised to have a visitor. He rises on pneumatic pistons and introduces himself.

<Blessings of the Master of Mars upon you, brother. I am Kradis Kram, caretaker of this shrine to our God's glory. How can this humble Friar be of aid?>

Aperta bows and makes the sacred sign of the Cog. <May of the Lord of Logic grace you with his thoughts, brother. I am Magos-Errant Aperta, liaison to the Administratum and guest of this world until my masters recall me. I had hoped to give a Sermon-Lecture on the intricacies of micro-fabrication, so as to share my knowledge with my brothers and sisters and glorify the Machine-God.> Aperta gestures towards his floating familiar, which politely dips in the air in an approximation of a bow. Aperta continues,

<And in turn I hope to perhaps petition for material aid as well, to advance myself in my personal efforts to glorify the Omnissiah.>

Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Midday Menial Labor

Later that day, after getting what he needs from his fellow priests, Aperta makes his way back to the island's Departmento Munitorum facility. Bracing himself, he pushes open the door to reveal the same beleaguered clerk, sitting at the same desk teeming with papers and dataslates. Aperta stands in front of the man for several long moments unnoticed, forcing the priest to make a noise approximating a cough to get the man's attention. The Adept's face runs the gamut from confusion, to surprise, to joy and back again, but before he can say a word Aperta shoves a dataslates under his nose, trying not to give the excitable man a moment to speak.

"I need the items on this list. Please find and retrieve them for me, and I will do my best to take care of this," he motions towards the towering piles of papers, "while you do so."

TL;DR, Aperta is going shopping. I'll leave the rolls up to you, and I'm going shopping for everybody, but I'm only going to list what I'm getting for myself right now. I can either edit other players' requests in here or they can list it in their own posts, whatever is easier for you.

• 1 Plasma Gun*
  • Extra plasma canisters
  • 1 set of parts for Compact weapon mod
  • 1 set of parts for Red-Dot Laser sight weapon mod
  • 1 set of parts for Modified Stock weapon mod
  • 1 set of parts for Expanded Magazine weapon mod
  • Smoke grenades, at least 2 but more is good
  • Stun grenades, same as above
  • Frag grenades, same again
  • Sacred Unguents, second verse same as the first
  • Any tools that would give me a bonus on making these weapon mods

*I'm willing to burn Influence to guarantee getting the Plasma Gun. Additionally I'll use Fate points if any of the checks are incredibly bad failures.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Mechanicus Shrine - Theology

Aperta bows his head to his colleague. <I apologize if I was presumptive, brother. Of course I will gladly assist you with anything you require.>

He follows Friar Kram behind the holo-shrine and into an elevator to take them into the lower levels of the building where only those fully initiated into the Cult Mechanicus were permitted on pain of death. After the carriage begins its descent and continues downward for quite some time Aperta raises an eyebrow. <Your shrine goes quite a bit...deeper, than I had expected.>

Kram waves a mechadendrite noncommittally in the air. <You're not the first to think this was just a tiny shrine to the great Lord of Knowledge. When this temple was built when the world was first brought back into compliance space upon the islands was already at a premium. So we dug down, where we would not be so constrained.>

<A most logical decision.>.

The doors of the lift slide open to reveal the lower shrine. To an untrained observer it would appear much the same as the level above. Although larger it is still cramped and cluttered with stacks of machinery, wires, and piping. But to Aperta's eyes it is immediately apparent that the quality and rarity of the machines here, while not nearly on par with those found in the Inquisition's shrines to the Omnissiah, were much greater than most anything else on the island and perhaps even the planet.

There is little more conversation between the two devotees of the machine God as they begin the task of rousing long-dormant spirits of some machines and placating injured or otherwise upset spirits of others. Aperta enjoys the work, having had little opportunity to commune with machine spirits in such a way since beginning his assignment planet-side.

It is several hours later, mid-morning, when something catches Aperta's eye. A tall, baroque, hexagonal stasis-container seemingly hidden behind a large bank of cogitators.

<What is held here, brother?> Aperta asks as Cogitatio scans it with its auspex. Friar Kram lumbers slowly over and frowns.

<I'm afraid I can't say. No one has been able to persuade the stasis-cell's spirit to open to us, and any record to its contents has been lost.> He explains. Aperta kneels down next to the container, while Cogitatio hovers above it.

<If I might try something?> Aperta asks without looking up, already reaching into the folds of his robes. Kram frowns deeply, but says nothing and steps back.

Mentally calling his familiar, Aperta removes a small box-like object from his robes, and slots the device into a port underneath the servo-skulls jawbone. With another command Cogitatio hovers upward and extends a long, silver spine from itself that it slides into a waiting slot on the stasis-cell. For a long few moments nothing appears to happen, until suddenly the box attached to Cogitatio begins to smoke, and then only seconds later POPs with a small shower of sparks and the servo-skull falls powerless into the waiting hands of its master, just as the panels of the stasis-cell slide down.

<My word, how did you manage that?> Friar Kram bleats in astonishment.

<Stasis units such as this are notoriously energy-hungry, and I surmised that this one's spirit was refusing to obey commands because it felt like it was being starved. This,> Aperta holds up the burnt-out object, <is a powerful capacitor. Cogitatio here fed the spirit a sudden surge of power along with repeated commands to open. Unfortunately the spirit was hungrier than I thought, and destroyed my capacitor and drained Cogitatio's reserves as well. But my servo-skull will be find as soon as I get it in the sunlight to recharge its stores.>

<My word, that is rather ingenious of you, Magos Aperta.> Kram says as he stomps closer to the newly opened stasis-cell. The friar reaches in with a Mechadendrite and withdraws the contents, a slim bullpup plasma rifle. <Strange, this was never meant to be a weapons storage...> Kram says with yet another deep frown.

Aperta observes the weapon intently, and jumps at the presented opportunity. <If I may, brother, I believe that weapon's spirit has been kept in stasis for many years. Weapons yearn to be free, to be used. It just so happens that thermo-plasmic ballistics passion of mine, and I would be able to handle the weapon's spirit with the utmost proficiency.>

Kram holds the rifle for a few more quiet moments before extending it to Aperta. [b]<You know, when I first came to this temple I tried something similar to what you did to open this stasis-unit, as have most other Magi who have visited or served here. But you are the one to succeed. What you say is logical, and I believe it may be the will of the Omnissiah that you have this weapon... for a time, at least.>

Aperta takes the offered weapon with all the due reverence and respect such a things deserves. [b]<Praise to the Omnissiah.>

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Goddamnit, edit is not quote. I'm a loving dipshit

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Safe House - Holy Work

With preparations complete Aperta begins the real work, starting with what will be by far the most difficult and important of the tasks; installing the plasma gun into Cogitatio. He has, of course, worked with plasma reactors on starships countless times, used both as power supplies and lances, but to scale that technology down to such a degree will be a masterwork to rival the creation of his familiar.

As he runs his fingers lightly over the casing he can feel the machine spirit within. Even deactivated and the metal cold the spirit's burning power is apparent, waiting to be unleashed in a torrent of nuclear fire. It will most likely not understand Aperta's plans at first, it will feel exposed and vulnerable as its outer shell is removed and it's inner workings laid bare. It may even rebel as it's magnetic coils and coolant systems are shortened and reconfigured to fit behind Cogitatio's grinning teeth. But if all goes well then it will also revel with newfound freedom as it integrates with the servitor's own collection spirits, and become as independent as any weapon could ever wish to be.

But before any other that can happen, Aperta must first begin. And he does, with the single-minded focus on his work that only the initiated of the Machince-Cult can manage. He takes aid from his fellow acolytes as they return, particularly from Max who's... lateral thinking and naive mind provide Aperta novel solutions he will not otherwise have considered. The work takes a long time, and after it there are many more tasks, albeit simpler ones, that he will move on to immediately after, working tirelessly until everything is complete.

I'm phone-posting, so it's very difficult for me to make so many rolls, so I'll have to ask DJF to do them for me.

I will spend fate points to reroll failures to apply mods to the plasma gun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Warehouse - Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

Aperta very careful places a fifth and final bottle neatly on the sawhorse and backs away to his workbench. On the table Cogitatio lays motionless on it's side, surrounded by piles of circuitry-wafers, dataum-chips, and soldering wire, while a long cable connects from the servitor's info-port to a cogitator nearby. Aperta's timing is impeccable as the cogitator beeps softly to indicate Cogitatio's new programming routines have been compiled and installed successfully. It is time to test them out.

Removing the data-cable and replacing the skull's outer shell casing, Aperta reactivates his familiar and the steps back. Slowly it's grav-plates warm up and the skull drifts lazily in the air, drifting slightly as it's powerful micro-batteries feed more and more power into it's internal systems. With a small shake from side to side Cogitatio fully awakens, and chirps a greeting to it's master in binary. Excellent. Aperta grabs a dataslate to take notes and moves to the center of the warehouse.

"The is Magos-Errant Aperta Ignavus, conducting test of newly installed weapon components. Activating targeting routine Alpha-Primus, assuming direct control of servitor," He announces to nobody in particular. His vision blurs as his brain ceases interpreting the visual information from his own eyes and switches to processing the information streaming from Cogitatio's optical cameras and auspex. As he focuses his familiar on the leftmost bottle, Cogitatio's mouth clacks open, and a silvery magnetic rail extends from within while the modified plasma canister and glowing coolant coils drop down to hang underneath the skull. The skull's left eye glows with a pinprick of angry red light that shines on the bottle at the other end of the warehouse.

"Power output at five-point-five-oh percent of optimal operational parameters. Target acquired. Firing now." The priest narrates in monotone. A tiny ball of shining blue light shoots from the pinprick hole on the magnetic rail and streaks through the air, splashing against the center of the bottle which explodes in a shower of molten glass. The weapon fires three more times, taking several seconds each time to properly line up the shots, and each in turn destroys another helpless empty bottle of rotgut booze.

"All systems functioning as predicted. Increasing energy output to one-oh-oh percent to ensure systems work at expected combat tolerances. Target acquired. Firing." This time a much larger, fist-sized ball of plasma fires from the rail. Like the smaller test-firings before it hits true, but this time the far greater energies explode not only the bottle but the sawhorse it rests upon, completely turning the glass into a cloud of vaporized gases and blasting the sawhorse into a pile of burning splinters.

Aperta mutters Martian swears to himself as he stamps out the flames before they can catch, while Cogitatio spins happily in the air, quite proud of itself.

Aperta is ready to gently caress some poo poo up, and now has an in-universe reason to be trained in plasma weaponry. For the free extra mod I applied a red-dot sight to the plasma gun. Aperta is now free to help anyone who needs it when everyone reconvenes at the warehouse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
The Gilded Thorn - Returning to the Scene of the Crime

It's still dark out, several hours before dawn, when Aperta leaves the safety of the warehouse. The others are still resting or tending to their own devices, but the tech-priest has less need for rest thanks to the blessings of his God, and he has much to do besides. The first and foremost to ensure the Cell draws as little attention as possible to themselves. And for that Aperta needs to return to the Gilded Thorn, which by his estimation should be relatively safe to return to.

He takes the time to remove any and all ostentatious and easily recognizable iconography from The Pelecanus, leaving it nearly indistinguishable from any of the other millions of transports on the planet. Shortly after he casts off and begins the short trek back to where he was only a few hours prior. It's not long before he can see the gambling den, and the telltale flashing lights of the planet's peacekeeping forces.

Aperta deftly guides his vessel into an empty portion of the dock that hasn't burned away, but there isn't much room. As he walks off the boat into the dock he can already see an arbitor in full riot gear approaching.

"Halt! This is a restricted area, you will leave immediately or so help me I will lock you up so fast you'll... er..." The arbitor, a woman if Aperta could judge by her voice, trails off as she looks over Aperta's robes and obvious augmetics and realizes who she's talking to. The priest sees his chance and takes it.

"I have been sent to collect and compile the surveillance data from the building's security networks." Aperta commands with as much authority as he can, "My time is precious and will not be wasted. You may either take me to the building's surveillance center or you may leave me be, but choose quickly."

The arbitor snaps to attention and stumbles out an apology before asking Aperta to follow her inside. With his obvious status as a Tech-Priest and the escort of an arbitor nobody pays him any mind as he's led inside. Seeing the inside again, this time fully illuminated with multiple floodlumens Aperta gets an true sense of the carnage that has been inflicted here, hardly anything is left untouched by blood, fire, or both, and bodies litter the floor, some covered by plastic sheets and others left as they are.

Moving upstairs, Aperta's escort leads him to a door flanked by two more arbites. After a short conversation they step aside and allow Aperta access to the security room's interior. "I need privacy and quiet to perform the rites of extraction. I'll call for you when I have completed and am ready to depart." He says dismissively as he takes a seat at the primary cogitator.

It doesn't take long for Aperta to isolate any footage that includes any of the Acolytes. If he had the better part of several days he might be able to edit the footage to make it seamlessly appear as if they had never been there, but the best he can do for now is simply delete it, but not before uploading complete and intact copies to Cogitatio's internal memory stores. It likely isn't necessary, but it's Aperta's duty to be thorough.

His cyber-subterfuge completed, he uploads the remaining recordings to a portable info-store and calls for his escort. He hands the info-store to her and gives a terse explanation about how the fire and fire-suppressant systems had caused considerable corruption to the building's cogitators. Soon after he is led back to The Pelecanus and thanked for his time aiding the department. Moments later he guides the ferry from the dock and makes his way back to the safehouse. There was yet more work to be done there.

I'm going to make a Tech-Use test to find and delete anything the building's security systems have that shows any of the acolytes were present during the night.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Inland Noble Quarters

With the memory of what happened at the last noble-filled social event he went too, Aperta is doing his best to be alert and cautious of another sudden attack. He tries to be discrete, but this amounts to merely staring intently through people as he studies the info-feed coming from Cogitatio's auspex scans the immediate area for anything out of the ordinary. Officially he is there as a representative of the Adeptus Mechanicus' role in the "project" that Master Malbau is going to discuss with Iseppo and Adept Cizneros.

When he finally lays optics on the Adept the tech-priest momentarily forgets any concerns about safety as he spies the beautiful craftsmanship of her cranial implants, far superior to almost anything else he's ever seen outside of the High Magi of his Order. He explains this fact as quietly as he can into the cell's vox channel, relying on his breathing-grille and hood to hide the fact.

"The Adept's implants are of extraordinary quality, far superior to anything even this planet's nobility should be able to lay hands on. I've seen it's pattern before, usually it is reserved for the likes of Lord Provisioners who oversee the Imperial Tithe for entire sectors, or master tacticians of the Astra Militarum. It greatly enhances the brains ability to take in and assimilate data, as well as boosting memory recall, pattern recognition, and logical extrapolation."

If it wouldn't be overly obvious that I'm doing so, I'll make a Tech-Use check to see if there's anything out of the ordinary in the immediate area (50m). I'll also let every know about what was under my spoiler text.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Chambers

This is wrong. Immediately after the door closes behind the cell Aperta immediately recognizes the sight of a malfunctioning servitor, mind-locked into repeating it's last command endlessly.

<Cogitatio: Full-spectrum auspex scan, wide sweep.> He orders in binaric as he walks through the cluttered office towards the hunched figure of 'Cizneros'. He reaches out and touches the figure on the shoulder, completely oblivious to any potential social faux-pas, and pulls back its hood to better study the servitor and diagnose the fault in it's machine-spirit.

Aperta doesn't think this is a person, so he's not going to treat it like one. Probable hilarity to ensue?!

Tech-Use +10 to Auspex the room and identify anything out of the ordinary; security features, irregularities in the walls, potential hidden compartments or tunnels, things of that nature.

Logic +10 to determine whats up with 'Cizneros', if that even is her real name.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Aperta Ignavus
Port Remonstrance
Cizneros' Chambers

Aperta has difficulty processing what he is seeing for a moment, but he quickly recovers and takes a shocked step back. But there's no time for petty emotions such as fear; he won't allow himself to panic again. His augmented renal systems release a small dosage of benzodiazepine to calm his mind and allow him to think logically.

"Please remain calm, do not alert the guards, we must be discrete for the moment. We must find everything of relevance that we can." He urges the other acolytes in a low voice as he leans over the late adept's desk and begins to access her cogitator. With a mental command Cogitatio searches and interfaces with a data-port, and begins to attempt a full data-download. Whatever Cisneros was working on during her death may be vital information, and time is likely short.

"Do be advised", Aperta says a moment later, absentmindedly, "that my auspex show unusual infrared patterns in the room. I do not believe we are entirely alone."

Security +10 to access Cisneros' computer and Tech-Use +10 to find and store anything useful I find.

Put me at K9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Im officially good with my result. I'll manage.

• Locked thread