Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 0

The aft of the tramp steamer had faded black letters spelling out Porrima, after the Captain's wife. That name was not legible, however. Rather, a less carefully painted but much bolder red covered up those letters, spelling The Shrieking Harpy, after the Captain's wife. Captain Price himself was from the old school of sailors. A bearded, grizzled old seaman with enough stories and tall tales to rival even Serenity. Many of which began with "I had just finished a bottle of Crystal Bay's finest fermented dog piss they like to call whiskey, when up from the depths came...". Cue any number of unlikely denizens of the deep, all of whom seemed to have it out for Captain Price in particular. That wasn't to say she had not committed his stories to memory; far from it. Any bard worth their salt plagiarizes other people's tales nearly as much as they create original compositions. She had managed to finagle passage for herself and the Killer Machine From Departed Millennia with a couple bottles of "fine" elven scotch. (this particular brand, in her homeland, was also seen as roughly on par with fermented dog piss. But what humans didn't know wouldn't hurt them and all that.)

It was a beautiful evening and Serenity was enjoying the fine clear air and the soothing sound of the ocean waves. Sea air tended to play merry havoc with the harp strings, but she was in the mood for some light music this evening. Reclining on a short stack of cargo with travel harp in lap, she was tormenting one of the deck hands with the worst joke she knew, interspersed now and again by made-up songs full of non-sequiturs and puns to drag out the agony. The joke had been ongoing for an hour now, and the man was clearly desperate for a denouement.

"...Jack glanced over at Sammy and saw that Sammy realized the same thing." She plucked a few strings and sang in Elvish, a sly grin on her face.

A baby frog is not
a frog, not a frog
It's a tadpole
Tadpole, tadpole
Baby frog is called a
ta-d-pole!

"So. Jack took hold of - Oh, good evening, Zero One. Danger?" She gave him a kindly smile while she made a show of sitting up and stretching. "And no, you shall not." She swung her legs over the edge of the crates and hopped down. "What sort of danger?" Her ears twitched and she looked about, but not with any real interest. She suspected Zero One was just being crabby again and looking for any excuse to be permitted to hurt people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity narrowed her eyes. She counted to five, then relaxed, though her face was a neutral mask; all hints of her previous lightheartedness gone. She bowed. "Mistress Ramona. Know that I have the greatest respect for you and your occupation, however unsettling as it is to see you so blasé about it. With that in mind. A simple request to stop without laying hands on my possessions would suffice. Disrespect earns you nothing but enemies."

Serenity straightened up from the bow, and the smile came back with her. "If you would rather, I know of others ways to pass the time that can be very quiet. Just how much so depends on you, of course."

Nevertheless, both Zero One's words and the sight of Tutresiel up and seemingly alert (as best she could gauge the entities' body language) convinced her to pack it up for now. A brief inspection to ensure the instrument was unharmed and it was wrapped up in its cloth and stowed away safely in her pack. She remained kneeling and watched her erstwhile bodyguard as he continued to scan for this danger he had mentioned. As she waited, she hummed quietly, an ancient lullaby laced with enchantments to soothe frayed nerves and promote harmony.

Arcane Art: 2d6+3 9
The next time someone successfully assists Ramona with aid, they get +2 instead of +1
Serenity draws unwanted attention or her magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

"It's okay, Zero One. We've been out here for months, everyone's temper is just getting short."

He really was starting to worry her. Since they had met, Zero One had demanded to be let of his leash, and sooner or later he was going to snap. Serenity was about to try and console him when the Padre's voice cut through the awkward silence.

"G-g-ghost shiiiiip!!!!"

...Thank Nashira for small miracles. It was not a kraken, and it was something to occupy Zero One's attention.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Gritting her teeth, Serenity stood and brought a hand to hilt of her sword. "Ramona, I've got your back, whatever happens." Glancing aside, she nodded to Zero One. "Hey handsome! You're free to let off your stress on these undead bastards as you see fit."

Taking up a defensive stance, Serenity kept an eye out for Ramona's blind spots while keeping a respectful distance from the woman herself. It'd be a shame to end up an incidental casualty should the bounty-killer get too exuberant. As she watched the creatures advance, she ran through the tales she knew about them, and what sort of weakness they might have that could be exploited.

Bardic Lore - Creatures Unusual: How can a ghost be made corporeal? It's hard to stab them without an enchanted blade.

Aid Ramona: 2d6+1 9
Ramona gets +2 forward.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 1/10

"I better know my steps? I invented most of them, Miss Lady."

Narrowing her eyes, she gauged the approaching foes. As they hurtled forward, they never saw the blade coming as it slashed out in a vicious arc.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+1 4

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 12/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 1/10

Hauling herself up after the assault, Serenity winced and tried to quell the fear that threatened to rise up. These risen dead were far angrier and hateful than she had expected. Something terrible must have happened to them in death to warrant this level of unfocused rage.

First, ensure the bastion did not falter. Serenity knelt and clasped her hands together, singing an ancient hymn her husband had taught her. It had been a comfort in hard times, a litany against the iniquitous. By Nashira's grace, that prayer would would be bolstered into truth.

Queen,
Queen of tremendous majesty,
who freely saves those worthy ones,
save us, source of mercy.

Arcane Art: 2d6+3 11
Healing Ramona: 1d8 4
Ramona recovers 4 HP

Shardix fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2016 around 16:24

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 12/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 1/10

All of a sudden the world fell out from under Serenity as she felt herself bodily hefted up and tossed onto the mast. Lashing out, she snagged a nearby rope and arrested her fall. A quick motion as she sheathed her blade and adjusted her grip. From her vantage, she watched as Ramona began pulling off some impressive acrobatics. It was hard to believe somebody could move that well in armor like that. A shame the armor didn't seem to slow these spirits down all that much; they were swarming up to mob the bounty hunter unless someone did something.

Spotting a nearby rope, Serenity put her nimble fingers to use undoing the knot tying it back. Tricky work to do one handed, if you were someone else entirely and thus not amazingly competent at pretty much everything. As the rope came loose, she cast another glance down. Ramona had Zero One's sword in hand - wait, no, was she...? Yes, she really was going to throw it overboard. Or at least pretend to. Nothing for it but to give her some breathing room, then.

Gripping the rope, Serenity swung down with a laugh, aiming to swing past Ramona and back out of danger. As she barreled through them, the spirits surrounding her comrade dissipated in her wake. Only for a moment, but a moment was all that was needed.

Aid Ramona: 2d6+1 10
Ramona gets +1 to her DD roll.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 1/10

Serenity shielded her eyes as raw light exploded around Tutresiel. As the glare died down, she risked a glance outward. Zero One had collapsed, and now the ghostly captain was lunging towards the angel with death in his eyes. Nope. Not on her watch.

As the rope reached the zenith of its arc, she shifted her weight and hurtled back at speed. A few small adjustments, like so...now! Releasing her grip on the rope, Serenity somersaulted forwards and landed, sliding in between Tutresiel and the onrushing ghost captain. In one fluid motion she stood, assumed a side-facing stance, and whipped out her sword in a crushing blow across the specter's face.

"Back to the underworld with you, dog!"

Hack and Slash: 2d6+1 6

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 2/10

These twice damned spirits were growing bold in Nashira's absence. With the Lady's grace hidden from sight, the sailors would lose heart and the battle would be lost. Well,not if she could help it. A quick glance around informed her that the spirits had momentarily lost interest in her, and the spectral captain that had nearly pasted her across the deckplates was nowhere to be seen. Taking advantage of the breathing room, Serenity unslung her pack and lifted out her harp. Deftly undoing the wrappings, she took a breath and struck a chord as she rose back to her feet.

"Have heart, men! The dead feed on your fear! Show those abominations what seadogs are truly made of!"

Swallowing her own fear, Serenity played as she made her way back towards Tutresiel. Catching his eye, she flashed him a confident smile. She would not let her own trepidation dishearten her and destroy the last thread of morale that kept the sailors from panicking. Centuries of practice paid off as her fingers expertly wove across the instrument, acting on pure innate skill that required no conscious thought. As the dulcet tones reached the angel's ears, the unholy wounds from his assailant attempted to close.

Arcane Art: 2d6+4 7
Healing Tutresiel: 1d8 2

Edited: With Ramona's Aid, Serenity manages not to fail especially badly. Tutresiel heals 2 HP.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Jan 29, 2016 around 00:51

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 3/10

Serenity danced away from the encroaching skeletons, rather peeved that they had the gall to hijack her music. She wasn't playing for them, the bastards. Luckily her bodyguard seemed to have fixed whatever problem he had been having and was tearing into the hordes of undead with gusto. His love for destruction was at times alarming, but he had his moments.

"Zero, got some trouble over here...Zero?" She turned her gaze back towards the automaton, his fist raised to crush a man's life out with his inhuman strength. drat him, no! Spinning around, Serenity sprinted full on at the soon-to-be corpse and body checked him out of the way, turning her angry gaze on 01.

Interfere with 01: 2d6+1 3

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 3/10

Without a thought Serenity discarded her harp on the deck and dropped to her knees. She cradled the dying man's head in her lap, swallowing the rising panic in her breast. This man needed her now, needed her to focus and not fall apart. It was not easy. Nearly three centuries she had lived, but senseless death and violence had never sat easily with her. She had not allowed herself to grow jaded to suffering; too many of her kin had gone that way and they had grown to be hard, ugly people on the inside.

"Look at me! Look into my eyes. It's going to be alright." She looked down at the man, his desperate need to live all too obvious on his face. She did not know if she had it in her to save him, but at the very least she would not let him die in fear. She softly sang a song to him, one she had sang to her own children ages before. Never in such a situation as this, of course, but it had never failed to lull them into peaceful quietude. She laced it with healing magics, damping the pain and mending the flesh as best she was able. She silently prayed for Nashira to come out from her veil and lend her aid.

Arcane Art to heal the grievous wound 01 caused the sailor.
Arcane Art: 2d6+3 12
Healing: 1d8 1

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 4/10

It appeared that Jaime would live. He might never be able to speak again, but compared to the alternative it was a small price to pay. Serenity finally tore her gaze from his own and looked about the ship. The swell of enemies seemed to have died down and the oppressive atmosphere felt as though it was abating somewhat. Nevertheless, she was on guard. Drawing her blade she sat protectively over Jaime, prepared to fight in his defense. Much of the other happenings passed her by, aside from Ramona's impromptu aid in allowing her charge to breathe. A somewhat crude method, but it worked. She payed no heed to 01, despite his actions. This was not the right time to get into it with him. A moment, and some words exchanged a few feet away, and Serenity felt Ramona's towering figure above her again and looked up. The woman grasped her hand and thrust a paper into it before walking off without a word.

Dumbfounded, she read it. She read it again, and a third time before what it was finally clicked. She wanted to be angry at the gesture but...what good would that do? Ramona had her own ways and apparently this action seemed right to her. In any case, it was only money. Serenity was too old to quibble over something so ultimately pointless. Dismissing the matter from her mind, she pocketed the invoice and continued her vigil.

Discern Realities: 2d6 6
Serenity is attempting to guage what is about to happen. She will no doubt discover what that is seconds after it is too late to do anything about it.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity stood with the man as he regained his feet, pulling one of his arms over her shoulder to support him. "Zero One is a bastard, and not really in my employ. I happened across him months back, and he for whatever reason opted to follow me. Said something about having to obey my orders. I'm very sorry he attacked you; I gave him explicit instructions." She hadn't actually seen what made the machine-man snap, being rather distracted at the time. The only reason she wasn't stalking after him to tear out whatever passed for his brain was that he had not gone rampaging through the remainder of the crew. Maybe it was just a momentary bit of confusion amidst the scrum. She certainly hoped so.

"Try not to talk. I don't want you-" She stopped as she followed Jaime's gaze to the stout cannon that had just been touched off. She flinched, expecting a cannonball to come roaring in. No boom. No splintered wood. Just a malevolent freezing fog insinuating it's way towards them. Serenity tightened her grip on her sword and began to cautiously retreat from it, pulling Jaime along with her.

"Don't breathe it in. On my mark, make a break for the others. I'll watch your back."

Defend Jaime: 2d6 11
Hold 3

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

For a man who'd had one toe in the grave, Jaime was surprisingly gung-ho about this. Venting out his frustrations on an acceptable target, perhaps. Fair enough.

"Hai!" Serenity darted forward alongside of Jaime, bringing her blade to bear. It was a bad situation, but it was mollified somewhat by the fact that three dead sailors were skeletons rather than spirits. That meant they were real enough to harm. As she moved ahead the chill water washed across her boots, but a deeper cold was setting in. The phantom form of the ship had merged with the Harpy, and when she herself crossed that threshold it was as if her limbs had fallen asleep. Pins and needles burned across her legs in a numbing wave. She ignored it as best she could and let reflexes take over. If she gave conscious thought to her limbs now, they would certainly betray her.

As Serenity came upon the skeletons, she gave them no time to respond. Her sword arced through the one carrying the fuse with blinding speed before she turned towards the remaining two, her eyes narrowed in concentration. One had his hands full with the cannonball, and he was next. The elf became blur of violent motion as muscle memory and long-honed skill took over.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+1 7
Damage: 1d6 5 (1 piercing)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity slipped from her combat stance and sheathed the sword, a thin smile on her lips. She gave Jaime a nod. "Yeah, I think we got them. Good wo-" She flicked her eyes towards the shattered bones as they began shivering back into unlife. Gods, she missed Rolf. There was a man the dead had learned to fear, and rightly so. She reached for the hilt of her blade again when out of the ether a small star erupted, the light casting ghastly shadows across the deck. It consumed the remains of their foe, and Serenity almost let out a sigh of relief, until she noticed it was uncomfortably close to the gunpowder. Oh, no.

Spinning around, she grabbed hold of Jaime and hurled him away and to the ground before she followed suit, collapsing on top of him and covering his ears. She'd be damned if she let him bite it here, after all this.

Spending two hold. One to redirect the attack away from Jaime to to herself, and the other to halve the attack's effect/damage.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

She barely made out Jaime's words as she tried to clear her head from the blast. Everything hurt. Her exposed skin, her joints, her breath. Even her teeth hurt. She attempted to find her footing and get an arm underneath her when Ramona's voice cut through the frozen silence. Don't move? Okay. She could do that and gladly. Whatever else you might say about the woman, she knew how to keep it together in a storm and Serenity was entirely willing to follow her orders.

She felt herself lifted up, and there was not even a tremor of exertion in those muscles. I bet she could bench press a dire bear. I should ask. A quick glance to the side showed she was being lowered into that massive suit of armor, and with a few quick motions it sealed itself up. I am really glad I'm not claustrophobic or I'd be having a very bad time right now. The air inside began to grow warm, and Serenity breathed a sigh of relief as the aches and pains slowly faded. After a moment she struggled to sit up, which proved an embarrassingly difficult task. The armor seemed to fight her the entire time. Was there some trick to it, or did it simply dislike anyone but its master utilizing it? Maybe both.

She looked about and caught sight of the angel. Had that explosion been his doing? Well, no matter. Nothing had been harmed but her pride, and likely he hadn't expected her and Jaime to rush the cannoneers in the first place.

"Tutresiel, you okay? I'm a-all ears if you have a p-plan." The chill hadn't entirely left yet, and her teeth involuntarily chattered as she spoke.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 3/9 | XP 5/10

Tutresiel did not reply, but Serenity's words appeared to have spurred him into some sort of action. What that action was she could not say. The angel kept his own counsel. Well, she could at least keep an eye out while he did it. Struggling to her feet, the elf hefted up the massive rifle Ramona had left her. She'd seen such weapon before, and even fired a few of them. Ultimately though, she was not comfortable with the concept. Firearms...distanced the individual from what they did. If one was going to kill somebody, she was of the opinion that you should do it face to face. Which is really easy to say when you aren't at very real risk of being devoured by the living dead or turned into an elfsicle. So.

She took to a knee, awkwardly, and balanced the rifle in her hands. She wished she could do something about all the blips and notations and incomprehensible stuff flashing across the helmet's visor, but Ramona would tan her hide if she accidentally broke something. She did her best to ignore it, and scanned the area for any threats.

Defend Tutresiel: 2d6-1 5

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 7/9 | XP 5/10

"T-Tutresiel! R-regroup!" Serenity's teeth were still chattering as she saw the ominous shadow wheel overhead of the angel.

She caught movement out of the corner of her eye, and Ramona was there before she could even turn her head. At her insistence of a trade, she nodded and handed over the rifle. Now was not the time to think or question, simply act. Or in this case, follow the lead of someone who knew precisely what they were doing. It was a bit shameful to be caught out of sorts like this, but despite her years Serenity was simply not the hardened warrior Ramona was.

Gripping the spear, she glanced back towards Tutresiel, than downwards at her hands. Was Ramona trying to comfort her? That was...unexpected. Wholly appreciated, however. It seemed even the bounty killer had some humanity left in her. As the barrel of the rifle came down over a shoulder, Serenity adjusted her position slightly and tried to relax. No motions or muscle tremors to throw off her aim. Yet she could not help but feel her blood stir as Ramona prepared to end her foe. It was not precisely an old elvish greatbow, but the rifle would sling death at their enemies from afar just the same. Quietly, Serenity began to sing an old elvish song of slaying, not even really aware that she was doing it. As the dulcet tones weaved around the pair, the subtle magics lent deadly accuracy to the chambered round. More quietly than expected, the rifle fired death towards the colossal undead bird, and Serenity's body jerked only slightly from the recoil.

Arcane Art: 2d6+1 7
+1d4 damage: 1d4 1
Ramona does +1 damage with her shot, but Serenity's shakes have permitted something to go awry.

Serenity reached up over her shoulder and likewise gave the woman a pat on the hand. That was an amazing shot. "O-orders, Ramona? My life is in your hands if you can get us out of this safely." There was no sarcasm or hesitation in the elf's voice. Ramona had her unwavering trust.

Serenity is using Charming and Open, asking what Ramona wants her to do. You may ask her a question from the list as well, Slydingdoor.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2016 around 03:22

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 7/9 | XP 5/10

Serenity turned her head to look directly at the human. Did Ramona really just say what she thought she just said? If this had been her homeland, Ramona would be be beaten and imprisoned for even assuming such a thing was possible, let alone speaking of it. And once she was in prison? Well, it was best not to dwell on what happened next. A lobotomy at best. A slow and excruciating execution was far more likely. The nerve. The sheer loving audacity to presume to ask that of her. How could she possibly refuse?

"O-okay. You have to s-smile for me, though. " The chill was starting to fade, but it still lingered. She slowly struggled to her feet, glancing about for the angel. "And k-keep Tutresiel alive. W-won't work wi-without him."

She couldn't explain why she agreed to such an absurd idea. She barely knew the woman. She hadn't even done such a thing with her own husband, though she had offered; and forty years and three children was a hell of a lot more of a commitment than a couple months of professional courtesy on a leaky boat. Maximilian had been touched, deeply, but he refused to risk her life in agreeing to it. Probably it was Ramona's eyes. Not once had the bounty hunter let down her guard. Even in sleep, the woman was aware of her surroundings on some level. Likely had been that way since...whatever it was that happened in her past happened. Yet for a single moment those defenses dropped, and Serenity could not find it in her heart to say no. Getting soft in her young age, she supposed.

"It will be horrible. P-pain you can't imagine." She glanced back over her shoulder. "...Or maybe you can. Most likely it would k-kill the both of us." She tightened her grip on the spear.

"And you c-can't complain about my s-singing ever again."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 7/9 | XP 6/10

She had said something wrong. She felt like she had said something wrong, but it was so hard to be sure with Ramona. The bounty hunter seemed to switch moods as often as she switched weapons, and Serenity was never certain what would prompt the shift. Rather than linger on the matter or say something to rouse Ramona's scorn, she opted for her trusted fallback. Serious the hell up and take care of immediate matters.

...Or she would if the suit didn't start spitting static in her ears. The elf careened to the side as the sudden noise threw her off balance. Vaguely, she could see the great dead avian crash into Tutresiel, thrashing and clawing as though something were strangling the unlife from it. The ship rocked slightly from the impact and Ramona was saying something about not mattering anymore and the angel was wrestling with his assailant and there was a voice in her ear that should not be there and feelings and memories from ages ago were bubbling up and this visor would not stop throwing confusing information into her face and GODDAMN IT NOT NOW.

Rushing headlong after Ramona, Serenity slid on her knees to Tutresiel and grabbed his shoulders, hauling him out from under the creature. She scrabbled backwards clumsily as the armor fought against her movements.

Aid Tutresiel: 2d6 5

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 7/9 | XP 6/10

As the bird flailed furiously at her, Serenity was thrown off balance and stumbled backwards. Even through the armor the blows had terrific force backing them up. As she struggled to reorient herself, a voice cut through the static, clear as day. No. That was not her mind playing tricks in her. And nothing living today knew that name. She had had many lovers in her life, but only her husband had ever called her Sarah. And that was too much after everything else going on. Too many emotions cropping up in rapid succession, and she needed air - fresh, unfiltered air to clear her head and get her away from long-gone voices.

"Ramona...I am very very grateful but can you please get me out of this armor? I'm...I'm warmed up now, and I am really uncomfortable in here." Serenity sounded very small all of a sudden, the voice barely audible despite the suit's amplifiers.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 6/10

Serenity took in great gulps of air as she was finally freed from the coffin. She wasn't claustrophobic, but things were getting a little too real in there. She nodded at Ramona, and carefully made her way around the deck, gathering her things to keep herself occupied. The ghost ship had entirely fled her mind. Hat, sword, harp. She leaned the spear up against the side of the wheelhouse and put everything back where it belonged. She dearly hoped the cold hadn't ruined the harp strings. She carefully unstrung the instrument and put them away in a side pocket of her pack.

As she slowly calmed herself, Tutresiel stopped briefly to give a cryptic comment about someone being aboard. "Uh. Okay. Right. Just moment, please." Straightening up, she faced the angel and clasped her hands together, singing that ancient hymn again. Her husband had taught it to her, and it seemed he was not done looking out for her. It was...reassuring in a sense, but that had been such a long time ago. Having his memory resurface like this, here and now, was quite a shock. Did it have something to do with the bounty hunter? She thought yes, but the reason behind it she couldn't begin to guess. Nashira worked in strange ways. A goddess of the moon by definition could not be pinned down easily.

Arcane Art: 2d6+3 10
Healing Tutresiel: 1d8 2
Tutresiel recovers 2 HP

With a firm nod, she unclasped her hands and smiled at Tutresiel. "Call if you need me. And be careful." As the angel went off on his own task, Serenity caught sight of Ramona talking to the captain.

"Ah, so. How are we doing?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

"It's an old prayer. A supplication for the goddess Nashira to grant mercy to the weak." She hesitated after she said that. She wasn't sure how Ramona might take the implication that she was weak, despite that that wasn't what she meant. She shook her head and glanced out towards the sea, humming the next few verses.

Arcane Art: 2d6+3 10
Healing Ramona: 1d8 2
Ramona recovers 2 HP

After a moment, Serenity glanced back. "I know you probably don't care, but you want me to take care of that for you?" She motioned towards the rather messy ponytail. "I've got experience making hair look nice while staying out of the way. Or I could shave it off for you. I guarantee this blade won't cut what I don't want it too."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Look good and stay out of the way, huh.

"Ha! That's better. I hardly know how to be around you when you aren't giving me sass." As Ramona continued, Serenity nodded in understanding. Alright, extensions. Fair enough. "I'll let it be, then." She held her hands up in a conciliatory gesture. "We both come from vastly different backgrounds. I can't really understand where you're coming from. So when I say things like that, please understand I'm just trying to relate to you in the way I know how. If that bothers you, or if I cross a line, I do want you to put your foot down about it. I'll admit, I sometimes have trouble with boundaries. Just try not to hate me for ignorance. That's all I ask."

She lowered her hands, and coughed awkwardly. "I think we uh, ought to check on the captain."

Serenity is using Charming and Open, the not-remotely-subtle-subtext of her words asking the question, "How can I get you to be my friend?". You get a question of your own, Slydingdoor.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

"That's too bad. I'm pretty good at knowing where to put my fingers to hit the high notes." Serenity flicked one of her braids back over her shoulder. "As for what I want you to do? I don't want you to do anything, except maybe stop looking down your nose at me." She gave a soft sigh, and continued. "I'm not here, with all of you, for any other reason than chance conspired to bring me here. That, and the promise of absurd amounts of money. Likewise, I'm willing to throw my life into the wind on your behalf for no better reason than it amuses me to do so. Don't misunderstand me; I am taking what you want with utmost seriousness. But my own life? I'm free to do with it as I will, for as grand or ignoble a purpose as I see fit. In the end, I'm out to have an interesting time."

She pretended not to hear the bit about the hair, or this person called Knife. The two of them were already metaphorically circling one another with knives out. No reason to press on the matter and make the situation any more complicated.

"Anyway. How about we continue this heart to heart later? I don't know about you, but this ghost ship business really kind of kills the mood."

At that, she followed Ramona's lead in investigating what the Captain was up too. Making her way up, she poked her head into the wheelhouse.

"Captain. Captain Price? Hello?"

Discern Realities: 2d6 12
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is not what it appears to be?
Who's really in control here?

Shardix fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2016 around 16:33

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

"Yes sir." Serenity nodded, and ducked back outside. That poor man. He'd just been trying to make some honest coin and this madness had to fall upon him and his.

"The captain says he needs to be at the wheel if we're going to survive. I am inclined to agree. If you wish to discuss someone else taking over, he is willing to listen. No weapons, no armor, in his quarters. Meanwhile, I need to find Domhnall. Keep an eye out while I'm gone. This isn't over yet, not by half." She glanced out over the waves warily, than returned her gaze to Ramona. A beat, and she continued. "What's the situation below deck, anyway? Anything I should know about?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity stood, shocked at what had just happened. The Captain had made an entirely reasonable request and been murdered for it. Ramona herself seemed entirely untroubled by it, continuing on as if nothing had even happened.

After a moment, Serenity began to reclaim her senses, and began muttering quietly. Her words grew faster and louder, now intelligible as Elvish, and an incredibly foul form of it. Obscenities spewed from her until she was yelling, her eyes burning in anger. As Ramona went into a crouch, the elf yanked the sword sheath from her belt and hurled it to the ground before springing forward onto the warrior and hammering her fist into the armored visor.

"What the gently caress is wrong with you? You heartless murderer! He did nothing to you!" Her furious shouts devolved into a cacophony of elven expletives that would be an arrestable offense in most civilized places.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

"You don't have the right to make that decision! You don't get to decide who matters!" Letting go of the armor, Serenity dropped back to the deck and stared angrily at the armored giant. Her hand ached from the blows but she would not give Ramona the satisfaction of showing it. She stood there, breathing heavily, fists clenched so tightly her already pale skin was turning stark white. She wanted, for a brief moment, to say something. She knew the bounty hunter well enough to have an idea what she was about, and on the tip of her tongue was any number of heartless, cutting remarks. Things that could wound even through all that steel. But what purpose would that serve? She would get to feel smugly satisfied for a moment, and then spend the rest of her life regretting that she had been that cruel. There were regrets enough in her past without adding more to them. So she bit her tongue and closed her eyes, waiting for the fury to pass.

At last, she opened her eyes again and there was only a sad elven woman. "Life never stops hurting. Gods willing, you have millennia of it ahead of you. And in the course of all those long years, absolutely nothing will ever be certain. You will never stop having to 'evaluate the risks'." She wanted to continue, to try and say something that would make the woman reevaluate her choices, but there was nothing. Words were just words. As pointless and cruel as Oliver's death was from her perspective, Ramona had her reasons.

Serenity felt very tired all of a sudden, the adrenaline fading and leaving only fatigue and heartache in its wake. "I am sorry for whatever happened to you that made killing the Captain the right choice. I would take your pain upon myself, if I could. But I could not do that for my children, and I cannot do it for you."

With that, she turned and made her way to the stairs heading below deck, silently hoping things had gone better there.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 7/10

"Grew up into what, exactly?" Serenity shook her head. "I'm not going to stand here and feed your persecution complex, Ramona. I've heard this story more times than I can count. Lived it, too. You don't have a monopoly on sorrow. Just on refusing to move past it."

She continued warily down into the depths of the ship. She glanced around to get an idea of what the situation was, and if there was anything she could do to improve it. Apparently Thrash was causing some trouble, as if there weren't enough problems to go around. Her head wasn't in the right space for it, though. Ramona's merciless execution of Captain Price weighed on her. It had been beyond her control, yet she still felt responsible somehow. She could forgive the bounty hunter for it, but she would never be able to forget it.

Discern Realities: 2d6-2 6

Shardix fucked around with this message at Mar 4, 2016 around 04:22

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 8/10

There was too much going on. The angel was feeding bodies into a void, Domhnall appeared to be losing his mind, and it sounded as though the crew were being butchered further in. Okay. Deep breath. One thing at a time.

She stepped in the quarters towards Domhnall, glancing aside at Tutresiel. "I'll trust you are not doing something...unholy. I'll have an explanation later, be certain." Her voice was unwavering steel. Emotion was shoved out of the way for the more necessary strict pragmatism required now. Putting that matter aside, she knelt down and slung one of Domhnall's arms over her shoulder. "On your feet, sailor. We need to secure this ship, and I need you in your right mind. Now snap out of it!" She looked him in the eye until he met her gaze, and gave him a reassuring nod. "On your feet. We'll get this handled."

She helped him walk out of the room, away from the strange ritual. Some things men just weren't meant to witness. One arm was supporting Domhnall, the other on the hilt of her blade, and she stared towards the engine room. She wasn't sure she wanted to see what was happening in there. But if there was anything she could do, she had to try. Stalking towards the entrance, she moved inside and flicked her gaze about, rapidly assessing the situation.

Discern Realities: 2d6 2

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 18/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 9/10

Serenity glanced aside at Ramona as she appeared, then returned her gaze to Domhnall. "The captain didn't make it. Dark energies took hold of his body, and he was trying to steer us directly into the ghost ship. Ramona...put him to rest. I've seen this sort of thing before. Believe me, there nothing we could have done."

That last bit was true, at least. If there had been one of the foul spirits she had encountered in the distant past, it could have possessed a man. And it would have been nigh impossible to dislodge it without killing its victim. But such things had little at all to do with the undead. They were a far different sort of evil. Serenity felt a bit queasy at even mentioning them, let alone to lend credence to a lie of all things. Yet it was what came to mind to avert a mutiny. If the crew turned against Ramona and the rest, odds were that nobody was going to live through the night. Just chalk up another stain in her soul. She doubted Ramona would complain about its condition all that much.

Kneeling, she took hold of Domhnall's bloodied hand before he could fully register what she had said. "Hold still. I think I can mend this." She quietly sang her song again, willing the flesh to mend and regrow the lost finger.

Arcane Art: 2d6+3 6
Serenity was going to heal him. In the face of that hateful lie, though, she will pay a price.

Shardix fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2016 around 00:16

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity's heart fell as her powers failed her. She had known she had made a mistake almost as soon as the words left her mouth, but what was done was done. She regretted speaking of such obscenities, yes. But she did not regret the reason why she did so. She was not her husband. Her life was not lived as an embodiment of right actions and right thinking. To be sure, she tried to live well, but even she was given to a bit of pragmatism at times. That pragmatism rarely worked out for her was...an unfortunate quirk of fate. Nashira always did have a reputation for favoring the pollyanna

As Domhnall pulled his hand away, Serenity sighed and regained her feet. "I...I'm sorry." It was an apology both to him for failing, and to Nashira for blasphemy, and to everyone for that lie. She doubted the moon was willing to listen to her right now, however. She was a moody bitch sometimes. And in this case, entirely warranted.

Taking a step back, she listened as Domhnall spoke, and she had a sinking suspicion he had not bought that fib in the least. It wasn't stopping him from taking advantage of the situation, though.

Serenity is going to remain silent for the moment, and see how Ramona responds.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

The regret over her lie drained from Serenity, replaced by contempt. Always, always, throughout the centuries, this posturing and dick waving. It was so wearisome. Nor could she ignore the chaos in the engine room any longer. Her attempts to heal the first mate had failed, and he was now preoccupied. It came to her to lend what aid she could in this chaos.

Slipping through the entrance, the elf seemed to blend into the scenery; seen but dismissed. An inconsequential addition to the scrum. As she moved, it was difficult to tell precisely what was going on, except that it was the exact opposite of topside. Spotting the telltale flicker of the Lantern's little light, Serenity ducked in that direction, eyes open for any errant blows that might come her way.

Defy Danger (by getting out of the way): 2d6+1 12
Keeping low and moving fast to avoid notice. Given this mess, rolling it seemed proper. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As she caught up to the Lantern, she saw Jaime there clutching his face. No time for propriety. She grabbed hold of his shirt and yanked him behind her. Barking a quick "Stay!", she glanced aside at the old man.

"Sorry about the delay, Padre. How are we doing?" Looking closer, he seemed pretty well blasted. "Hey! Snap out of it. If ever we needed a guiding light, I'd say now is the time." Drawing her blade, she stood ready at Clavo's side, thankful to only be risking her life, not her emotions.

Aid Padre Clavo: 2d6+1 11
Bump that 6 to a 7, Vulpes

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 15/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 9/10

Gods, how had she forgotten the deathly cold of the ghost ship? It bit deeply, freezing the soul as much as the body. Was that what it felt like to die? Shaking her head, Serenity attempted to dispel such grim thoughts. She had to focus on the here and now. Pain was only transitory, after all, and giving it more heed than it deserved would only get more people killed.

She cast a quick glance over her shoulder. "Padre, j-just stay behind me. I'll k-keep them off you." Her teeth were chattering again, and she silently prayed Ramona didn't show up to slap her into that damned suit again. "Zero! You s-still alive in here?" It was hard to see in all the smoke and fire and chaos, but the machine should have no trouble hearing or finding her. As she waited for a response, she dropped into a defensive posture, ready to eviscerate anything that tried to go for the Lantern. True, she was obligated to stay alive for Ramona's sake, but the old man was special. It was a rare few to be given the sun's blessing, and it behooved her to ensure he did not fall here.

Defend Clavo: 2d6 11
Hold 3

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

As the Lantern seized the wrench, Serenity gave him a nod. She shunted the icy agony to the back of her mind and forced her limbs into action, circling quickly behind the corpse and smashing the pommel of her sword into his skull. Given he had just had his insides blown out, a thump like that wouldn't even faze him but it should provide enough of a distraction to let Clavo finish the job.

"...Zero?!" Still no reply from the machine man.

Spending 1 hold to give Padre +1
Hold 2

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Too much chaos; too much pain. Would that she had the power to put these spirits to rest and grant them peace. All she could do now was protect those still living and save her tears for the dead until later. Whirling away from her foe, she took a moment to assess. Nori had collapsed, though she still lived. Hold on only a bit longer, little one. Gods willing, I still have favor enough to save you. Jaime surged with renewed vigor and tore the creature away, collapsing into a heap. The tables quickly turned, though, and the corpse seized the initiative. It tore violently at Jaime's face and the horrifying wounds it had sustained did not seem to slow it in the least. What did it take to kill this thing?

With one quick stride, Serenity moved up and stuck her boot into the creature's head, using her weight and momentum to force it down onto the deckplate. As it clawed violently against her, she gripped her sword in both hands and drove the blade through its skull with all the force she could muster.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+1 9
Damage: 1d6 4 (1 piercing)

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 14/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 9/10

Yanking the blade out of what remained of the zombie's skull, Serenity permitted herself to slowly relax a bit. Zebley's query and subsequent noisy vomiting was strangely reassuring; nobody was going to take time to empty their stomach if the threat remained. She gave a nod of acknowledgement at Ramona's request, then turned to address the nearby crewmen.

"Garlov. Zebley. Help get any wounded out into the hall, make things easier for the Padre." Yanking out a cloth, she quickly wiped off her blade before sheathing it. "Fine job, Father. It's an honor to see a Lantern at work." The elf gave Clavo a polite bow, no hint of condescension in her voice. "I had better see to Nori in case the angel needs a hand. I'll be down the hall if you need me." She gave him another quick bow before quickly striding towards the exit.

"Zero! Thrash! If you could give the place a once over, make sure the undead are gone? I would really appreciate it." At that she ducked out and fairly sprinted down the hall to catch up to Jaime. She had not had time to look very close but she feared for Nori's life. In her time aboard she had gotten to know the crew as well as she could, and the idea of losing any more of them was untenable. As she came into the medbay she spared Tutresiel no mind. He would do what he would do, and she would do what she was able. Between the two of them, hope still remained. Her eyes shot immediately to Jaime and Nori, and it was impossible not to see how broken up the man looked. She could sympathize.

"Be calm. I'll do what I can." Rapidly stripping off her jacket and gloves, she cast them and her sword into a corner. She silently beseeched Nashira to belay her disfavor - not for her own sake, but for this dying woman's future. Taking a seat on the cot, Serenity gently lifted Nori's head into her lap. A song came to her lips, and she sang quietly, willing the old magics to take hold. To prolong her life and ease her pain, if nothing else, until surgery or more powerful magics could be brought to bear. The powers may take what they wish from Serenity for her blasphemy against Nashira, but let them have mercy on the innocent.

Arcane Art: 2d6+2 9
Healing Nori: 1d8 2

Shardix fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2016 around 17:05

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity
HP 12/18 | Armor 2 | Load 4/9 | XP 9/10

With remarkable aplomb, Serenity silently gathered her things up and donned them. Nori lived, thanks primarily to the Lantern. She knew she had been right about them; they were miracle workers in truth. With a curt nod to Clavo was left and made her way to her own quarters. It was difficult to keep her steps steady, but she bit down on the last reservoirs of strength she had remaining and slipped quietly inside. She set her blade carefully at the foot of the bed. Her jacket and gloves were hung. Her clothes were carefully folded and put away and boots tucked under the cot as she put on a simple gown. At last, she allowed herself to sit down, hug a pillow to her face, and weep bitterly. She had no qualms about wearing her heart on her sleeve in most matters, but some things belonged solely to the individual. Pain like she had just experienced...that did not need to be shared. She had asked for and earned it, and it was hers to keep, alone.

---

An hour later there came a soft knock on Ramona's door. A ruddy-eyed elf behind it, composed but weary.

quote:

Did we learn something new and important about the world?
Elves are immortal, and this immortality can be shared with another.

quote:

Did we overcome a notable monster or enemy?
The ghost captain and a giant undead bird are pretty notable.

quote:

Did we loot a memorable treasure?
Technically we kind of looted the boat itself. Sort of? The coin/pearl whatsit is definitely memorable, even if only a few people are aware.

quote:

Alignment: Spur others to significant and unplanned decisive action.
Slydingdoor agreed that getting Serenity to offer up a piece of her soul counts.

quote:

Bonds: I sang stories of Ramona long before I ever met her in person. I dearly wish to know who the real woman is behind the tales.
Yeah, I'd say Serenity knows the real woman pretty drat well now. Slydingdoor agreed with this as well.

New bond: My soul is promised to Ramona. She must live to see that day.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity stepped inside and closed the door behind her. The door locked with a loud click, as asked. A part of her wanted to ask if she should have worn something nicer and put her makeup and jewelry back on, as a sardonic joke. That part was distant and as tired as the rest, however. That Ramona might try to kill her never crossed her mind. It wasn't that she had something the bounty hunter wanted. She simply did not believe Ramona was ruthless enough to murder her of all people, for no reason. She took a few short strides to stand in the center of the room and faced the figure on the bed, hands loose at her sides. She cut a strange figure out of her makeup and jewelry and fancy clothes. Without them Serenity was just a wisp, apt to blow away in a stiff breeze.

"Good evening Ramona. You may be glad to hear that Nori lived. The Padre is very good at what he does." Her voice sounded raw and thick as she spoke. "I wish to apologize in advance if anything I say comes across as curt. I do not intend it, but I am very very tired. So. What may I do for you? What do you want me to do for you?" It was a simple question. And the elf made it complicated by coloring it with a hundred shades of meaning. Typical of someone who made their living with words.

Serenity is using Charming and Open to inquire "What do you wish I would do?". You get a question of your own, Slydingdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Serenity

Serenity listened as Ramona laid it all down. It was disconcerting to hear her husband's words coming from this woman. Words of love that were not her own...it played merry havoc with the heart. And her history, and the curse that followed her. It was all Serenity could do to maintain her respectful silence. Nobody ever said life was fair, but to have the blunt fact of it thrown in your face still hurt. And through it all, the basic fact that there was no lie spoken here. The echoes in that song...it was a true divine revelation, no doubt. And echoes persisted. To speak a lie within their bounds was to invite retribution far harsher than Serenity's own punishment for blasphemy. Even the irreligious would not tempt fate so.

As Ramona finished, Serenity nodded. She was tempted to sit and reassure the bounty hunter, but it seemed likely that anything she said would ring hollow. Ramona had her own pain to carry, and she at least had not called it upon herself. And that she had the strength to speak openly like this suggested her limit for allowing someone to see her this vulnerable would be rapidly approaching. "I understand. I wish to make one thing clear, though. I am doing this because I chose too. It is gratifying to hear that I am supported in that choice, but even should circumstances change...I have made my decision and given my word. You will have what is yours, come what may."

She turned towards the door and took a step before pausing. She cast a glance over her shoulder. "A Lantern is called to bring light to world. I'm a little more selfish. I prefer to bring light to just one person. So long as you find it well, I will stand by your side. Lend what comfort I may, should you need it. You only have to ask."

«9 »