Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have a new bag that can hold more Emergency Stuff than my last bag, any recommendations for a small, powerful, solid flashlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I have a new bag that can hold more Emergency Stuff than my last bag, any recommendations for a small, powerful, solid flashlight?

Don't go with an off-brand fleshlight. The original company still makes the best and the knock offs tend to have a higher lead content than is safe. I'd recommend one with a simulated vagina as the simulated rectums still don't feel right, but they're getting closer.

edit: misread. I've had good experiences with this kind of MagLite for theatrical backstage stuff; the only downside is they're small enough that I've lost a couple. If you're just packing it into an emergency back you might want to pack the batteries separately; I managed to accidentally turn it on in my pocket a few times and ended up shortening the battery life that way.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 21, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
For an emergency bag, headlamps are probably a good idea as they keep your hands free to fight off the undesirables of your choice. I've had a Black Diamond Storm for years, and it's a great, solid, weatherproof lamp with dimmable spot, diffuse, and red-light functions:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...k+diamond+storm

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's heavy but they're built to last

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=maglite&sprefix=maglite%2Cundefined%2C347

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
LED Lenser makes some awesome flashlights, if they're available in your country. Awesome as in: 'holy poo poo this is bright'. Durable as well, they are generally metal construction and waterproof. No anus though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got the original Petzl Tikka headlamp for Christmas 12 years ago and it's still going strong. Get some newer variant of that.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Headlamps are pretty rad. If you want a flashlight to hold in your hand, I recommend Coast brand flashlights. I believe their stuff is all made in America, they're boxed nicely enough that they feel like gifts, and hold up well / are bright / have a decent "throw" (the length of the beam). I oversee security officers for a living and have worked in private security for a little over a decade and they've become my brand of choice based on how they've performed in all weather conditions. Coastportland.com is the website. All my officers carry the HP7, I have the polysteel 600 that stays in my glove box. Their prices might seem slightly hefty on their website depending on your budget, but look around - Amazon frequently has them at significant discounts with free prime shipping.

There are people on the internet who sperg about flashlights, which you can get into if you want, but if you get any LED maglite or Coast light, you'll be doing all right. In most emergency situations you'd want the head lamp, but if you're nervous about putting a target on your head in an emergency, I'd highly suggest the HP7 - fits easily in one hand, is comfortable to hold, etc.

Oprah
Nov 26, 2015
Fenix flashlights are really good. They are durable and they look like flashlights that Robocop would use. Most of them are super bright, and you can get ones where you can adjust the brightness easily.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If you don't have one at all I highly recommend getting a weaponised mag-lite club first as a primary flashlight, but if you want a small auxiliary one basically any mag-lite LED one is all you need.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't go with an off-brand fleshlight. The original company still makes the best and the knock offs tend to have a higher lead content than is safe. I'd recommend one with a simulated vagina as the simulated rectums still don't feel right, but they're getting closer.

edit: misread. I've had good experiences with this kind of MagLite for theatrical backstage stuff; the only downside is they're small enough that I've lost a couple. If you're just packing it into an emergency back you might want to pack the batteries separately; I managed to accidentally turn it on in my pocket a few times and ended up shortening the battery life that way.

I find it amusing that you have such expertise in both the fields of portable illumination and strange toys that you stick your penis in.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Buy a Nitecore or some similar Chinese flashlight (one with built-in USB charging) and an 18650 cell for it and never look back. Don't buy a loving Maglite

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Just buy an iPhone and use the flashlight on it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I recently bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/MagLite-ML50LX-2-Cell-Blister-Flashlight/dp/B00WN6BTLS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454198367&sr=8-4&keywords=maglite+ml50l

I could have gone full flashlight-sperg and bought a chinese 18650 with twice the paper lumen output, but I didn't want to experience the dubious joys of exotic battery types, heat-dissipation problems, and playing exploding counterfeit battery russian roulette. I've always had a soft spot for maglites, and although they've taken a while to get a proper grasp on LED technology, their current generation torches are quite impressive. Plus, I love the adjustable beam focus they have. 18650s tend to have a higher light output, but they tend to throw it all over the place. If you want something a bit smaller, they've recently updated their 2-AA mini maglite range, too. Maglights might not be on the bleeding edge of torch technology, but they're a lot closer than they used to be, you can get replacement batteries from pretty much any corner-store, they're pretty much bombproof, and they haven't embraced the stupid tactilol aesthetic a lot of their competitors are so fond of.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Going Gear (I'm not affiliated) has a Flashlight buying guide that makes it easier to determine which one is right for you. They made a video as well.

It comes down to this:
    1. Usage - What will be your flashlight's primary use? Search and rescue? Emergency? Every Day Carry? Camping?
    2. Size (& Weight) - Does it need to fit within a certain size requirement? Is it for your pocket, keychain, or backpack?
    3. Lumens - How bright of a light are you needing? Remember: the higher the lumens, the more batteries you're likely to need.
    4. Beam type - Do you want a something to illuminate a field or a corner in a room (thrower vs. flooder)?
    5. Tint - Do you prefer a certain color temperature on your light?
    6. Switch type - Have a preference? Not important to all flashlight buyers, but there are options: side switch, tail switch, or twisty.
    7. Price range - How much are you willing to pay?

I would add these four points:
    1. User interface - do you want lots of features or just a simple interface that won't confuse you? Do you need a strobe? Would you be annoyed by blinky-modes that are not-hidden?
    2. Battery type - you can get AA (and AAA) batteries anywhere in the world. More specialized types may have advantages though.
    3. Water-proof: Most models from brand-names are water-proof according to the IPX-6 standard.
    4. Firefly/ Moonlight-Modes - It's nice to have a bright light, but sometimes you need a very low mode too (e. g. to keep your night vision).

Going by the battery size powering the flashlights (and ultimately determining their size) I would classify them like this (leaving out the more "exotic" formats):
    1 x AAA: Might be small enough to even attach to a keychain while being surprisingly bright. Good for emergencies (as in: I lost my keys in a dark alley and need some light). Careful: Most do not have buttons. You need to twist the head to turn them on/off and change modes.

1 x AA: Fits every small pocket. first "real" flashlight. Very usable, but I would not recommend them for longer use like a night walk, since you usually hold them between your fingers instead of "grabbing" them (they are a little too small for that).

2 x AA: You can grab them easily with your hand, they are bright enough for just about anything and they're still pretty light. Only downside: At this point they may not fit small pockets anymore.

4 x AA and more: These little beasts boast around 1000 lumen and more already. They make fun toys to play with but you should ask yourself if you really need that much power. Still portable but you start to feel the weight. I recently ordered myself a Sunwayman D40A since I just love the small chunky thing and its blinky-modes.

I would choose a size, as this is in my opinion the most important aspect, then think about the other stuff for a bit and start to read some reviews.

Some Reviews:

A look at AAA flashlights
4 x AA Round-up

Couldn't find a convenient A or AA round-up review thread, but there are more than enough single reviews on the Candle Power Forums. Hope this helps. :)

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 31, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
On the other hand, if you don't know what flash light you want specifically yet, just get a LED Lenser P7 or P7.2.

Takes normal AAA batteries, moderate size, has a very bright and normal mode, never breaks.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

At my last job, I used a Nebo redline. I had the belt holster for convenience. It was nice to have on night shift.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There's a forum for flashlights http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
another day of misreading this topic title as "I'm thinking about getting a fleshlight"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

someone should make a fleshlight with an integrated flashlight

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have had a ton of flashlights over the years. The Streamlight Microstream, a single AAA light, is my favorite. Durable, bright as you need in most situations, compact, and not too expensive. The tailcap switch works great and can be momentary or stay on. I use it more than any other flashlight I own including some nice Fenix/Surefire lights. Next favorite would be the already mentioned Black Diamond Storm.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Flashlights these days are loving amazing. They are a deep rabbit hole that can gradually turn you into a gear queer like multitools or folding knives can.

For keychain sized lights, I have not found anything better than the Fenix E05. $22 gets you a keychain sized implement that can ejaculate 84 lumens which is goddamn ridiculous. LEDs and circuitry have been steadily improving for years now, so I'm sure something even better will show up soon. There's already some non-keychain torches that puke out over 100 lumens from a single AAA battery.

My retailer sells mostly things from Fenix, Foursevens and Nitecore, all of which have very competitive prices. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Fenix, as their E series has amazing values (like their compact E12). For $50+ you options just explode for these brands and others like Olight, LED Lenser, and Surefire.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 7, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I can't even remember the last time I needed to use a flashlight so the existence of a flashlight enthusiast community baffles me. What do they do at their meetups? Go out in the woods at night and play hide and seek? The flashlight itself seems like the least interesting part of any activity that might require a flashlight.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 4, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I prefer the Lisa Ann fleshlight.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

On the cheap end of the scale, I've been happy with this thing I got off DealExtreme: http://www.dx.com/p/mx-power-ml-108-cree-q3-wc-150-lumen-led-flashlight-1-aaa-32875

They're handheld sized and easily pocketable, light is good for its size, and the light itself feels sturdy including the clicker switch on the back.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
I enjoy my Flash Light; I like to walk at Night and use my Flash Light to spot Wild Life; Wild Life can be detected by their Reflective Eye Gleam; I see Numerous Wild Life Specimens; Species is hard to identify due to Darkness but includes various Sub Groups of Possum; Wallaby; Nocturnal Bird; People in the Paddock; when walking at Night you must take Care to avoid Spider Webs; Spiders construct Large Webs at Night.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gold-Fringed Flash Light

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
No don't buy a matlight.

Look at 4-sevens or fenix which have a full selection of different batteries or brightness. Fenix also has a line of headlamps which are interesting. Always have a headlamp. I keep a headlamp in my toolbox and it gets more use than the flashlights for like plumbing under the sink.

For normal use the 1AA is or 2AA is fine. The non-standard cells like CR123s are much better but probably not worth dealing with.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I can't even remember the last time I needed to use a flashlight so the existence of a flashlight enthusiast community baffles me. What do they do at their meetups? Go out in the woods at night and play hide and seek? The flashlight itself seems like the least interesting part of any activity that might require a flashlight.

Well it intersects with weird survival/knife/gun people who try and optimize everything they carry. But also in the mid-2000's modern LED lights started coming out which are orders of magnitude better than incandescent and also keep advancing quickly (like a 1AA light today is roughly the same as a maglight baseball bat variety). So for a while there was a huge difference between niche brands like Fenix which you could only find online and crap like Maglight which was sold in the store. If you hike or bike or do anything outdoors it makes a difference.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

just buy an indestructible led lenser and have your needs suited

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

another day of misreading this topic title as "I'm thinking about getting a fleshlight"

Seriously. Every time I see this thread.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Make sure your flashlight is ribbed, for your illumination.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Is this a good place to talk about headlamps?

I'm thinking the Fenix HL21 is my ideal headlamp, and I think I can get one even though it's discontinued. But are there any other options that can meet the below requirements:
  • has good throw/spot beam
  • doesn't have a rear mounted battery pack
  • light is mounted on forehead
  • takes a single AA battery (can take more than one if I get something out of it)
I might skip my AA requirement if it's rechargeable without buying many extra things. Moonlight/firefly mode (<= 1 lumen) would be nice too, but not really important.

I'm mostly using it for plumbing and reading the numbers on houses at night from my truck (often in the rain). My Foursevens Quark AA-2 has been awesome at this, but if there's a headlamp that can shoot far enough to do that then I might just keep the Foursevens as a backup. I know there's a fenix flashlighg headband that I could use, but I'd rather it be forehead mounted to accommodate the tight-space-head-gymnastics I sometimes end up doing (like under a sink). Flood/spill beams aren't really necessary, as most of my work is focused on a small area anyway. I'd much rather have good throw.

Edit: looks like the Zebralight H52 might be my only other option

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2016

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Airborne Viking posted:

Is this a good place to talk about headlamps?

I'm thinking the Fenix HL21 is my ideal headlamp, and I think I can get one even though it's discontinued. But are there any other options that can meet the below requirements:
  • has good throw/spot beam
  • doesn't have a rear mounted battery pack
  • light is mounted on forehead
  • takes a single AA battery (can take more than one if I get something out of it)
I might skip my AA requirement if it's rechargeable without buying many extra things. Moonlight/firefly mode (<= 1 lumen) would be nice too, but not really important.

I'm mostly using it for plumbing and reading the numbers on houses at night from my truck (often in the rain). My Foursevens Quark AA-2 has been awesome at this, but if there's a headlamp that can shoot far enough to do that then I might just keep the Foursevens as a backup. I know there's a fenix flashlighg headband that I could use, but I'd rather it be forehead mounted to accommodate the tight-space-head-gymnastics I sometimes end up doing (like under a sink). Flood/spill beams aren't really necessary, as most of my work is focused on a small area anyway. I'd much rather have good throw.

Edit: looks like the Zebralight H52 might be my only other option

Get a Fenix HL50. It takes single AA or CR123, and detaches from the mount if you want it as a regular flashlight. The light is floody, but gets bright enough that you can see stuff a ways away too.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'm fond of the 5.11 PLX penlight for pocket carry. The body fits neatly through MOLLE webbing, it's a comfortable size to hold and keep in the pocket, no strap to get caught on things, decent albeit not incredible power, durable chassis. Two AAA batteries. Good for general stuff around the shop, looking at tools, under machines, etc. Not enough power for outside work, though, but that's not what it's for.

Pretty much my only complaint is the clip's a bit delicate. If anybody's got any suggestions with similar form factors I'd be interested.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
We have a couple Nebo Slyde flashlights in the shop at work, and they're tough as nails. They handle drops and hits, and keep on trucking. The Slyde has a magnetic base, and pulls out to use as a work light/area light as well.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

PitViper posted:

We have a couple Nebo Slyde flashlights in the shop at work, and they're tough as nails. They handle drops and hits, and keep on trucking. The Slyde has a magnetic base, and pulls out to use as a work light/area light as well.

This is the kind of thing that would be important for me in a flashlight. I don't really care all that much about how effective it is at blinding people so long as it provides enough light to see the wires and poo poo I have to deal with at night. Would any of the other flashlight guys here have any suggestions for something that can have the poo poo beat out of it and still work, but fit in a pocket? I use some kind of cheapo walmart brand that I keep destroying at work and just buy another.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The Nebo Larry is almost a fantastic flashlight except it's really easy to roll the battery cover a little with your pinky when you're holding it, whereupon all three spring-loaded batteries shoot out like a zip gun and you lose them in somebody else's bay. Not sure if the Slide also has some fatal flaw but dammit the Larry would otherwise be perfect.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Armytek lighs often have a 10 metre impact resistance. For comparison, companies like Fenix, Foursevens, Nitecore, LED Lenser, and Thrulight usually only guarantee 1.5 metres at best. Of course, in real life they often take much more than that.

HDS comes up a lot when talking about durable flashlights, but gently caress those things are like 200 bucks. Malkoff is another one that gets mentioned. I've never owned a Surefire, but they kind of built their reputation for being standard issued military weapon lights. They're expensive, though.

I've only had a Fenix E05 on my keychain for about three years, but I keep hearing how the E01 is practically bombproof. It's not bright, but it's a tough small light that can fit anywhere.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Airborne Viking posted:

10 metre impact resistance.

Jesus christ. That's pretty amazing. I'll have to see if I can find something from one of those brands that isn't too over the top price wise. Fifty bucks wouldn't be too awful, I suppose. Thanks for the recommendations! I had no idea the flashlight business was so, uh.. Intense.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get enough of these for every room in your house. They would still be tits at triple the price.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/tasco-led-...0017007&veh=sem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Airborne Viking posted:

I've only had a Fenix E05 on my keychain for about three years, but I keep hearing how the E01 is practically bombproof. It's not bright, but it's a tough small light that can fit anywhere.

For keyring torches, I have a Thrunite TI3. Very well built, and comes with a good range of modes. The high beam setting is ludicrously bright for a single AAA, even if it does run through the battery in about 30 minutes. I use it as an inspection torch when I'm doing home kitchen and bathroom measures.

• Locked thread